Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Who will the next England manager be?

Read 5619 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Who will the next England manager be?
      Aug 18, 2011 08:14:00 pm
      I know some of you aren't interested but it will be intriguing to see who the FA plump for when Fabio Capello leaves the job next summer. Harry Redknapp is considered by many to be the favourite but that seems to send a shiver down the spines of many supporters. His appointment to me would be highly unambitious and would resort back to the tired failed test of getting a guv'nor sort of manager in. Perhaps in the 70s but not today. If an English candidate had to be chanced upon I feel it would be worth giving Gareth Southgate the chance. Did a good job at Middlesborough with a pretty average squad until the inevitable happened and they were relegated. Still despite being in a position to promote them straight back to the Premier League he was bafflingly sacked. Rafa Benitez stated out of the English manager's in the football league Southgate seems to have great intelligence about the game.

So who else could be in contention? Well the rest are foreigners surely. Arsene Wenger? Luis Felipe Scolari perhaps? Mourinho as ever will be a name in contention. And what about Benitez himself? For me the best options are as ever foreign. I say balls to whatever those Fleet Street journo's say with their pinch of xenophobia and pro English bias about the next manager "having to be English". As if England are going to produce a world class manager any time soon in a country with a truly awful coaching structure.

So who do you think should succeed Capello as manager of the England football team?
      Bier
      Re: Who will the next England manager be?
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2011 09:19:22 pm
      I'm not English, but it's an interesting discussion. I never fully understood Capello's appointment, and think he's done a horrible job. I am aware that there seems to be a lack of good English managers, so I wouldn't be surprised if you signed a foreign one again. Just learn from the Capello appointment. He was inexperienced at managing a national side, and has never accomplished anything in that discipline. So paying that much for him is just crazy. Managing a club or a country are two different disciplines. And for that kind of money the least you could expect is someone with experience in that discipline. Being a good people manager is probably the most important attribute for a national side manager. With the exception of the few weeks before a major tournament they hardly train or play together. Yet in some way the manager needs to keep all the egos happy, and make them perform.

Capello will step down after Euro 2012 then? There's probably some other managers who step down from managing their national side then too. One of them that I know of, and I think would be interested in the job is Bert van Marwijk. I think he's been brilliant as a national side manager. He's calm and transparant. And while it's not always nice to watch, he plays his team to their strengths. Also helps that he's a big fan of Liverpool. He has actually said he'd love to manage our club too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2011 09:24:59 pm
      Harry ' It's not my fault the club went bust ' Redknapp
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2011 09:31:21 pm
      I'm not English, but it's an interesting discussion. I never fully understood Capello's appointment, and think he's done a horrible job. I am aware that there seems to be a lack of good English managers, so I wouldn't be surprised if you signed a foreign one again. Just learn from the Capello appointment. He was inexperienced at managing a national side, and has never accomplished anything in that discipline. So paying that much for him is just crazy. Managing a club or a country are two different disciplines. And for that kind of money the least you could expect is someone with experience in that discipline. Being a good people manager is probably the most important attribute for a national side manager. With the exception of the few weeks before a major tournament they hardly train or play together. Yet in some way the manager needs to keep all the egos happy, and make them perform.

Capello will step down after Euro 2012 then? There's probably some other managers who step down from managing their national side then too. One of them that I know of, and I think would be interested in the job is Bert van Marwijk. I think he's been brilliant as a national side manager. He's calm and transparant. And while it's not always nice to watch, he plays his team to their strengths. Also helps that he's a big fan of Liverpool. He has actually said he'd love to manage our club too.

Bert Van Marwijk is an interesting suggestion. Netherlands were different in South Africa last year but it worked. Beating Brazil was a high point I remember well. I was very impressed with that performance. I've always been a massive fan of Fabio Capello though and despite it being true that he struggled badly in South Africa and made some bad decisions a mass amount of the blame has to lay on the players. For those players last year to not show even a hint of living the dream and wanting to seize the opportunity in South Africa it was truly rank to watch. They were the joke of the tournament.

*just to note I'm not English. I am Scottish but interested to see what direction England will take from next year onwards.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2011 09:39:09 pm
      Woy  :f_tongueincheek:
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2011 09:42:23 pm
      RAFA ? with the cut back on foreign players in each team he'd be able to pick the English LFC players and pretend he's back at Anfield !
      AlfarinIcebreaker
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2011 09:57:35 pm
      Whoever they choose, he will have easier job winning something with Wilshere who is an absolute gem of a player. A kind of player which England badly needed, and now they have him. My bet is on Redknapp, but Rafa wouldn't be so surprising choice either.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2011 10:07:35 pm
      With the FA struggling to make the money to make their stadium payments, a deal has been struck with Simon Cowell to host the XI factor, with viewers voting for which players should not only be in the squad, but start. Viewers in Scotland are already looking forward to this.  :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2011 10:38:41 pm
      Whoever they choose, he will have easier job winning something with Wilshere who is an absolute gem of a player. A kind of player which England badly needed, and now they have him. My bet is on Redknapp, but Rafa wouldn't be so surprising choice either.

Agree. He's a phenomenal player but forgive me for saying this but if the rest of the future of English football is the likes of Kyle Walker then dear god!

Can't remember the last time a Tottenham player contributed something noteworthy to the England squad despite filling the team up for most of the last decade. The solution to England's success? Don't pick Spud players. Stay well away from Harry 'Cor blimey lump it up to the big lad up front while I work out how I pay, love.....rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit" Redknapp.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2011 10:53:01 pm
      Southgate, really? Don't think he did a good job there, he got a team that was UEFA Cup finalist.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2011 10:55:53 pm
      Southgate, really? Don't think he did a good job there, he got a team that was UEFA Cup finalist.

UEFA Cup finalists but they finished 14th that same year. If they had kept hold of him Middlesbrough could really have been back up last year.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #11: Aug 18, 2011 11:00:35 pm
      Reckon if the FA are going to want an English manager it'll be either Harry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce.

Project Owl won't even get a mention!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Aug 18, 2011 11:04:06 pm
      Boro didn't have enough depth in the squad to fight in both fronts, which help to explain why they finished 14th, as before that they finished 7th, 11th, 11th and 12th. All of this under Steve McClaren, a manager who failed as England manager. Despite their weaknesses, they were a established EPL side who just had one of the best moments of their history.  I wouldn't call Southgate's work there a good one and personally think it wouldn't make any sense to have him as England manager.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: Aug 18, 2011 11:17:22 pm
      Don't really care, but the FA have said he'll be English and there are few good candidates, so I doubt the national team will be winning anything any time soon. 
      Bier
      Reply #14: Aug 18, 2011 11:29:56 pm
      Bert Van Marwijk is an interesting suggestion. Netherlands were different in South Africa last year but it worked. Beating Brazil was a high point I remember well. I was very impressed with that performance. I've always been a massive fan of Fabio Capello though and despite it being true that he struggled badly in South Africa and made some bad decisions a mass amount of the blame has to lay on the players. For those players last year to not show even a hint of living the dream and wanting to seize the opportunity in South Africa it was truly rank to watch. They were the joke of the tournament.

*just to note I'm not English. I am Scottish but interested to see what direction England will take from next year onwards.
      I have alot of respect for Capello and his accomplishments. I just think this is seperate from that. Good club managers don't always make good national team managers, and vice versa. Good example: Joachim Low. His club manager career was going drown the drain before he joined Germany as an assistant. Which also brings me to a criticism of the FA. Why aren't Capello's assistants English? Where's the continuity in that? You hire someone like Capello because apparently English managers aren't good enough, I'd think you'd put some English talented assistants beside him so they could actually improve and learn from him. But in the end, all that matters is he didn't make the team perform as well as he could have.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2011 11:33:12 pm
      Boro didn't have enough depth in the squad to fight in both fronts, which help to explain why they finished 14th, as before that they finished 7th, 11th, 11th and 12th. All of this under Steve McClaren, a manager who failed as England manager. Despite their weaknesses, they were a established EPL side who just had one of the best moments of their history.  I wouldn't call Southgate's work there a good one and personally think it wouldn't make any sense to have him as England manager.

McClaren had the pleasures of some really good players back then. Zenden, Juninho, Southgate himself amongst others. Southgate never had the opportunity to have players like those and largely had to rely on the youth at Boro.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2011 11:47:08 pm
      Don't really care, but the FA have said he'll be English and there are few good candidates, so I doubt the national team will be winning anything any time soon. 

I don't understand this cycle the FA seem to get into. They hire a foreign manager and don't win anything, then the next one must be English. He fails as well so they look abroad again and now that Capello is getting criticised in the press they seem to have to go English again.

Surely when they broke with tradition and hired Sven as the first foreign manager then they should always be looking for the best man available if and when the position needs to be filled.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2011 11:48:29 pm
      I don't understand this cycle the FA seem to get into. They hire a foreign manager and don't win anything, then the next one must be English. He fails as well so they look abroad again and now that Capello is getting criticised in the press they seem to have to go English again.

Surely when they broke with tradition and hired Sven as the first foreign manager then they should always be looking for the best man available if and when the position needs to be filled.

Exactly. The fact that McClaren failed so miserably is a warning to anyone spouting the 'must be English' crap.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2011 11:50:02 pm
      Paul Merson.

At least he'd be good for a laugh - as in laughing at the stupid tw*t.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: Aug 19, 2011 12:08:30 am
      Paul Merson.

At least he'd be good for a laugh - as in laughing at the stupid tw*t.

I love the idea so much I'll give you a +!

God I would love to see us laugh at him like retarded hyena's for a change!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #20: Aug 19, 2011 12:35:08 am
      I think Arry is the man the FA will look at.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #21: Aug 19, 2011 12:38:55 am

Totally agree, so so predictable.  I think Gerrard just retire from international football after the Euro's as their isn't going to be no crumbs for him.  We will have another foreign manager Euro 16 for definite.   
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #22: Aug 19, 2011 02:12:39 am
      Woy Hodgson, he will lead WBA to a top half finish, and the F.A will think his the next big thing since slice bread, then we won't qualify for the world cup, he gets fired, and it happens all over again.

Quick Reply