Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What team should we be playing in the League Cup?

Kids
      (3%)
      Kids and First Team Fringe Players
      (50%)
      First Team and First Team Fringe
      (36.6%)
      The First Team
      (10.4%)

Exeter City v Liverpool pre-match thread (League Cup 2nd Round, Wed 24th)

Read 13229 times
      cjchaos
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Aug 20, 2011 06:44:32 pm
      Id like to see Cole, Maxi, Aquilani, Flanno play in this... give our best a rest for the next game.

EDIT: Below is what I would use as a starting line-up.  

Ngog    Carrol

Cole   Pacheco Aquilani  Maxi

Robbo  Skrtel  Soto    Flanno

Doni

Subs: Jojo, Spearing, Kelly, Agger, Henderson, Kuyt, Jones
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011 03:31:32 pm by cjchaos »
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Pre Match Carling Cup Exeter vs Liverpool KO 19:45 Wednesday.
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2011 06:51:52 pm
      That's all you have got to say while starting a match thread.Anyways, I believe this is a competition we should be looking to win given our greater squad strength this season.I would like to see the lesser used players getting a run out here.

Doni
      Flanagan  Soto  Skrtel  Robinson
      Maxi      Spearing  Jonjo     Cole
                      Ngoo   Ngog

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Pre Match Carling Cup Exeter vs Liverpool KO 19:45 Wednesday.
      Reply #2: Aug 20, 2011 07:11:34 pm
      We're still digesting the game today.

Locked until further notice.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2011 12:37:18 pm
      So, our first midweek match of the season sees us travel to League One outfit Exeter City. I expect a healthy mix of youth and experience.

Doni

Flanagan     Wisdom     Kyrgiakos     Robinson

Spearing     Coady

Rodriguez                      Shelvey                        Cole

N'Gog

Subs: Hansen, Insua, Skrtel, Poulsen, Suso, Sterling, Carroll
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Exeter City v Liverpool pre-match thread (League Cup 2nd Round, Wed 24th)
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2011 12:43:03 pm
      If we are keeping Aquilani play him if not then don't

would like to see Skrtel play to get match fitness and for Suso and Sterling to play for 20 minutes at least

I pretty much agree with your team though :)
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2011 01:00:34 pm
      Hansen is on loan, so Jones will be on the bench.

Doni
      Flanno Wisdom Skrtel Robinson
      Coady Spearing
      Maxi              Shelvey
      Eccleston Suarez

Subs: Jones, Carroll, Suso, Cole, Lucas, Kelly, Sterling, Soto

Get Skrtel back to fitness, tempted to try Kelly at CB alongside him, but there is plenty of time for that.  Give Wisdom a game. I'd play Suarez alongside Eccleston, for the first half anyway, get match-fitness without too much risk of a silly injury (if they start kicking him, just take him off).  Will be great for NE to play alongside such a player - that is how they will learn.  Young'uns need to play alongside quality players who will instruct them and show them how to play in a real match setting.  AA can't play if we want to sell him, can't risk an injury.  Coady in DM, with Jay alongside for support.  Shelvey on the left and Maxi on the right.

Never get a stream for the third round, wonder if we'll get one for this match? We should be top drawer for tv.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2011 01:29:41 pm
      I think we should line up like this.

Doni
      Flanagan Wisdom Wilson Robinson
               Coady     Spearing
         Maxi      Shelvey     Cole
                      N'Gog

Subs: Jones, Soto, Insua, Lucas, Suso, Sterling, Eccleston

Maybe playing some more first team regulars like Skrtel, Carroll & Kelly Etc Etc.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2011 03:02:11 pm
                                        Doni

Flanagan      Wisdom      Wilson     Robinson

Spearing

Shelvey          Merieles

Maxi

Suarez

I would play Merieles and Suarez to get them back to full match fitness, also would give Maxi some game time to show Kenny what he is still capable off, and give all the youngsters a shot to show what they can do, that is a strong team for me.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2011 03:12:17 pm
      Definitely want to give some of the squad players a run out but getting that mix of squad and first team is the true skill of a manager and doubt he'll be putting out an entirely second choice team as it would hurt morale if we didn't get a result despite it only being the crap cup.

Flanno, Robinson, Spearing, Doni, Shelvey, Maxi and Skrtel if fit are certain starters for me beyond that I might blend in some more first teamers, Kuyt didn't have a full game at the Arsenal and with Ngog possibly leaving before the game could see him starting up front with Cole in the hole. Personally I would give Wisdom a call up, think Raheem may be a little weak at the moment to throw into full senior level, would hate to see him hurt, Coady could get the call, either way it's gonna be nice to see some of the younger lads again, let's hope we get nice result.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2011 03:26:47 pm
      During Rafa's last season in charge, we had won 6-1 against Hull at home. We played a CL game (Fiorentina away) after that and lost the game without putting up a fight. We lost the PL game that followed this. After the PL game, we had to play Arsenal (away) in the Carling cup. We lost 2-1 (I guess).

IMO, our downfall started against the Violas. Our inability to respond against lesser opposition in less meaningful cups inevitably led to the gloomy days of the past couple of seasons.

The above rant was to drive home the point that the win against Arsenal may not be meaningful if we a) don't win convincingly against Exeter b) don't win against Bolton at home next week.

I just hope Kenny puts a good team that can demolish the opposition on Wednesday.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2011 03:34:36 pm
      Reina, Flanagan, Wisdom, Skrtel, Robinson, Spearing, Shelvey, Maxi, Suarez, Sterling, Carroll.

Get a good team, finish them by half time and then rest Suarez and Carroll for Bolton. Them two need as much time together on the pitch as possible so I'd play them both on Wednesday to start with.

Get Suso on that bench and put Raheem in from the start.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2011 03:38:24 pm
      With our strong squad (and based on excluding everyone who was involved against Arsenal) I expect something like this:

Doni

Flanno  Skrtel   Soto   Robinson

Maxi  Spearing Shelvey  Cole

Aqulilani
                             Ngog (or Eccleston)

With the likes of Wilson, Sterling and Coady etc on the bench.

cjchaos
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2011 03:48:15 pm
      Redindian, I don't think the Carling Cup defeat to Arsenal was the only reason last season was not so great. Everybody relied on Gerrard and Torres. Torres is gone, Gerrard is injured. We must not make the same mistake in relying on 2 players again. We didn't have squad depth and the new owners and Kenny have changed that. We have a stronger A teams and B team now, so even our B team is Good enough for the early stages of this cup.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2011 04:01:08 pm
      Redindian, I don't think the Carling Cup defeat to Arsenal was the only reason last season was not so great. Everybody relied on Gerrard and Torres. Torres is gone, Gerrard is injured. We must not make the same mistake in relying on 2 players again. We didn't have squad depth and the new owners and Kenny have changed that. We have a stronger A teams and B team now, so even our B team is Good enough for the early stages of this cup.

I am not attributing our performance to Carling cup defeats. I was just saying that we lost the momentum.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2011 04:01:12 pm
      Donio - Flano, Skrto, Soto - Robbo - Spearo, Alberto - Hendo, Maxio, Coleo - Carrollo

Fixedo. ;)
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2011 04:19:55 pm
      So, our first midweek match of the season sees us travel to League One outfit Exeter City. I expect a healthy mix of youth and experience.

Doni

Flanagan     Wisdom     Kyrgiakos     Robinson

Spearing     Coady

Rodriguez                      Shelvey                        Cole

N'Gog

Subs: Hansen, Insua, Skrtel, Poulsen, Suso, Sterling, Carroll

Just out of curiosity, where do you see Wilson in the clubs plans? I personally don't rate him very highly.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2011 04:22:36 pm
                         Doni

Flanagan Wisdom Krygiakos Robinson

Spearing
                   Aqualani   Coady

J.Cole     Ngog     Maxi
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2011 04:37:15 pm
      During Rafa's last season in charge, we had won 6-1 against Hull at home. We played a CL game (Fiorentina away) after that and lost the game without putting up a fight. We lost the PL game that followed this. After the PL game, we had to play Arsenal (away) in the Carling cup. We lost 2-1 (I guess).

IMO, our downfall started against the Violas. Our inability to respond against lesser opposition in less meaningful cups inevitably led to the gloomy days of the past couple of seasons.

The above rant was to drive home the point that the win against Arsenal may not be meaningful if we a) don't win convincingly against Exeter b) don't win against Bolton at home next week.

I just hope Kenny puts a good team that can demolish the opposition on Wednesday.

Thats a good point, it's true we must follow up on good results with a win against lesser teams in the following match, but the Carling Cup, and to a lesser extent, the FA Cup are competitions that give us an opportunity to field some second string players and give them game time.

That being said, I would play the following:

Doni
      Flannagan Skrtel Krygiakos Robinson
                    Shelvey Spearing
      Maxi          Henderson        Sterling
                         N'Gog

Bench: Jones, Insua, Suso, Pacheco, Coady, Wilson, Kuyt.

Depending on the situations with Aquilani and Joe Cole, I haven't played them. Especially Cole, since if he goes to Spurs(?), he'll be cup tied and lessens his value. Henderson needs a relaxed game like this to get some confidence, I feel he's been too conservative in the two games he's played. They were his debut, and a trip to the Emirates, so probably understandably so. Maxi should be getting a first team appearance off the bench at least, so I'd give him a start here, and Sterling is a quality player, so deserves a chance.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2011 05:00:19 pm
      Just out of curiosity, where do you see Wilson in the clubs plans? I personally don't rate him very highly.

I'm unsure of him to be honest mate. However, I must admit he simply slipped my mind here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2011 05:04:47 pm
      Live on Sky.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2011 05:14:26 pm
      I think Wilson has slipped down the pecking order of Carra-Agger-Skrtel-Kelly-Greek-Wisdom-Wilson is how I see our choice, Kelly of course only considered if we have Johnson/Flanno available. I think Wilson will leave on loan if we can find a decent club.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2011 06:00:19 pm
      Hope Raheem gets a few minutes
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2011 08:16:32 pm
                                                Doni

Flanno               Soto                     Wilson                Robbo

Spearing             Shelvey(but think it could be Poulsen)
          Maxi                                                                                           Cole
                                     Eccelston       Ngog
      Subs:Jones, Coady, Sterling, Insua, Carroll, Wisdom, Skrtel

Let Ngog and Eccelston fight it out for 3rd striker.

Quick Reply