Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What team should we be playing in the League Cup?

Kids
      (3%)
      Kids and First Team Fringe Players
      (50%)
      First Team and First Team Fringe
      (36.6%)
      The First Team
      (10.4%)

Exeter City v Liverpool pre-match thread (League Cup 2nd Round, Wed 24th)

Read 13230 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Exeter City v Liverpool pre-match thread (League Cup 2nd Round, Wed 24th)
      Reply #23: Aug 21, 2011 08:20:01 pm
                                        Doni

Flanagan      Wisdom      Wilson     Robinson

Spearing

Shelvey          Merieles

Maxi

Suarez

I would play Merieles and Suarez to get them back to full match fitness, also would give Maxi some game time to show Kenny what he is still capable off, and give all the youngsters a shot to show what they can do, that is a strong team for me.

Still think we should always field 11 players, regardless of the opposition.

;)
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #24: Aug 21, 2011 08:21:54 pm

;)

We are so good, it's only fair ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #25: Aug 21, 2011 08:26:17 pm

F**k fair, I want a trophy this season!

League Cup is good enough for starters, always has been.

With no European football for us, I think a carefully calculated mixture of youth and experience, instead of just fielding the entire reserves, would be the best bet.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 21, 2011 08:31:44 pm
                                  Doni
      Flanagan      Wisdom       Skrtel     Robinson
                       Spearing
                                      Shelvey
          Maxi                                   Cole
                           Meireles
                            Kuyt

Subs: Jones, Wilson, Kelly, Coady, Sterling, Eccleston, Ngog.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Aug 21, 2011 09:06:50 pm
      I think a mixture of youth, squad players and a couple of first teamers should be enough to see off Exeter. I think we should have a real go at the cups this year, but at this early stage I think it is worth the risk to give players playing time and experience.

Doni

Flanagan      Skrtel           Wilson      Robinson

Spearing    Meireles  

Maxi                   Henderson            Cole

Kuyt

3-1 to us, with Henderson getting his first goal.  Might stick Carroll on the bench (just in case :) )

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011 09:29:34 pm by s@int »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #28: Aug 21, 2011 09:13:09 pm

;)

I keep doing that :D

Doni

Flanagan      Wisdom      Wilson     Robinson

Spearing

Shelvey         Henderson

Merieles                                 Maxi

Suarez

I would play Merieles and Suarez to get them back to full match fitness, also would give Maxi some game time to show Kenny what he is still capable off, and give all the youngsters a shot to show what they can do, that is a strong team for me. Also stick Henderson in so he can play more confident attacking football, hopefully he will relax a little if chosen in this game and show us his attacking qualities as well as keeping the ball.

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 21, 2011 10:51:34 pm
      dont underate exeter look at history our defeats with minnows have been embarassing..the players should play as they play a premier league club. wallop them for six please we dont want a 1-1 draw. chance for youngsters to step up to the plate and show there talent.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #30: Aug 21, 2011 10:52:20 pm
      I'd like to see Henderson play as a central midfielder in a deep lying playmaking passing role with Spearing. I think he will offer so much more in that position than playing on the right or in that hole behind the striker.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #31: Aug 21, 2011 11:13:54 pm
      Would like to see the likes of Morgan, Suso and Sterling playing
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #32: Aug 21, 2011 11:26:58 pm
      Think it is very important we get a comfortable and impressive win from this game, although it may be "just" Exeter, i think we need to win every game possible, this goes for all the Carling Cup games, i think if we can be more impressive in cup competitions, it will only build our team spirit and make us stronger.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Aug 22, 2011 01:07:27 am
      Exeter are no pushovers so the team out on Wednesday will have to play well to win. Doni, Flanno, Spearing, Robinson and Shelvey are sure starters I believe but I think it'd be good to have Sterling on the bench for this one so he can come on later. I would put out this team

GK - Doni

LB - Robinson
      CB - Skrtel
      CB - Wilson
      RB - Flanagan

LM - Cole
      CM - Spearing
      CM - Shelvey
      CM - Henderson
      RM - Maxi

ST - Kuyt

I'd have the likes of Coady and Sterling on the bench along with Brad Jones but also Kelly, Carragher, Suarez and Mereiles in case things got tricky.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34: Aug 22, 2011 02:55:29 am
      I agree with the youth/res/starter mixture for this match. As others have mentioned above without European footy this year we need to the best we can on these domestic cup's while at the same time building confidence and attitude. Quite honestly if we were playing the Sisters of Benevolence I would want us to go and stomp them.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Aug 22, 2011 02:59:02 am
      Strenght in depth FTW!

Doni

Flanagan/Kelly       Skrtel(if fit)/Kyrgiakos/Carra                  Wilson               Robinson

Spearing      

Henderson                                    Shelvey

Maxi                                                                                                       Cole

Kuyt

donk1664
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      Reply #36: Aug 22, 2011 03:13:36 am
      I agree with the youth/res/starter mixture for this match. As others have mentioned above without European footy this year we need to the best we can on these domestic cup's while at the same time building confidence and attitude. Quite honestly if we were playing the Sisters of Benevolence I would want us to go and stomp them.

It's the only sensible approach against the sisters as they're not afraid of leaving the foot in themselves. Especially their new holding Midfielder Mother Superior Esperanza, don't forget how she broke Father MacKay's (Holy Nonsense Wanderers striker) leg with a horror studs up challenge in the Ecclesiastical Chalice Cup Final.
      donk1664
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 22, 2011 03:20:16 am

Seriously though you're right without the europa league to help build and bring on some of the youngsters/ressie/fringe players it makes the Carling cup much more important in terms of their development and game time. However this is also tempered with the fact that we may have to field stronger squads in some ties to ensure our progress so that the lads get more chances to gain game time and experience.

All in all it is probably a more difficult carling cup campaign in terms of trying to balance the requirements for improving certain players game experience/exposure and resting others but not fielding too weak/inexperienced team against certain opposition and run the risk of going out and losing this vaulable game time for the non first 11 players.

Should be interesting to see the team and how we set about the cup. Personally like the selections that have been highlighted in the last few posts and i agree that it's important that we go out and play hard and try to put teams away.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: Aug 22, 2011 03:48:32 am
       I do not care if Kenny puts all the younger lads out to gain experience,my only stipulation he puts out players who are in the right frame of mind to win and want to be winners.I always think of Emlyn Hughes when I think of the league cup and how much he wanted to win it to complete his set.He won one in the end but it was the season after he left us for Wolves.Let us go for the treble this season and make it another memorable season for Kenny and the lads and show the world we are back.
      kornwall02
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts |
      Reply #39: Aug 22, 2011 08:55:15 am
      hey everyone.
      as u might be able to tell from my user name I live in cornwall and exeter is only up the road from me (about 40 mins drive)

im not a season ticket holder for liverpool or exeter, I not a lfc.tv member or anything like that, but I would really like to get tickets for this match!!!

anyone know how to go about doing that?
      where can I get them?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

sorry guys. I just saw there is a ticket thread for this game.
      ignore me!!
      3-0 to liverpool with a few more bench players getting game time, I.e maxi, shelvey, raul.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40: Aug 22, 2011 09:36:03 am
      For years in this competition we've been fielding seriously weakened teams full of fringe players and kids and we never get anywhere, not since Rafa's first season when we got to the final. That's never bothered me too much before because we've always had Europe but not this year so there is a genuine risk that our season could be just 40 games long this time around. I'd rather take the competition a bit more seriously and play a considerably stronger team than in the past. Nice as it would be to play the likes of Suso and Wisdom, if we go that route and lose I (for one) will be very pis...sed off. I deffo think players like Spearing and Robinson should play because they are very much part of the 1st team squad but I'd also look to give Suarez some more minutes from the start and I would expect Carra or Agger to play at the back and Reina should also play. I wouldn't even bother giving Cole any minutes and if Danny Wilson plays it's a HUGE mistake, he is and never will be anywhere near good enough. I'd also hope we stick our big guns on the bench in case things don't go to plan. The only one of our Academy kids I'd risk is young Sterling who i'd bring on IF the game is safe in the latter stages.

Reina

Flanagan                 Soto                 Carra (or Agger)         Robinson

Spearing    Henderson

Kuyt                             Suarez                              Maxi

Ngog

Subs

Carroll
      Downing
      Adam
      Sterling
      Kelly
      Doni

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #41: Aug 22, 2011 09:58:45 am
      We can't take this game and competition for granted.

We don't want to be putting alot of youngsters as we'd want to go as far as we can.

Personally, I'd like to see Coady and Suso for a short while even!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #42: Aug 22, 2011 12:18:11 pm
      Mix of Youth and Experience for this one.

Give Sterling a run out, and maybe Coady with Soto at the back.

Just don't lose.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #43: Aug 22, 2011 12:33:59 pm
      LFC Transfer Specs
      @LFC Doni,Robinson,Wilson,Skrtel,Flano,Spearing,Shelvey,Henderson,Sterling,Maxi,/Morgan/Ngoo

He had the team bang on against Sunderland last week, would imagine it is something similar to that

Can't see Morgan starting though personally
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #44: Aug 22, 2011 02:18:10 pm
      -----------------Doni---------------
      Flanno---Skrtel-------Wilson--Robinson
      ----------------Spearing-------------
      -----------Hendo------Raul----------
      Kuyt-----------------------------Maxi
      ----------------Carroll----------------

I would like to see Carroll giving the nod, maybe getting a couple goals will boost is confidence up and hope Raul is fit enough to give us 60-70 minutes because I think he needs the playing time to work on fitness and would be a great game for it.
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011 08:56:14 pm by adammac »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #45: Aug 22, 2011 02:31:39 pm
      Difficult to predict who will start this season. What I will say is, I find it interesting that some of those being mentioned to start were playing in our first team on a regular basis last season. Just shows how far we are moving along.

Anyway, would be slightly surprised if Kuyt started. In saying that, if he does, may symbolise that N'gog is defo on his way, not being cup-tied and all that.

By the way, as much as people talk down on the Carling Cup, I want a F***ing trophy, regardless of what it is, and that is their for the taking. I want to win it!

Quick Reply