Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sebastian Coates (Nacional Montevideo)

Read 93060 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Re: Sebastian Coates (Nacional Montevideo)
      Reply #736: Aug 30, 2011 07:27:38 am
      That has got to be a lady hand beside him in the car...or ricky martin
      With very good info about Coates you told us in this thread and your above comment then I think a detective is your work :D

Anyway still no official announce of this signing ?

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #737: Aug 30, 2011 10:16:45 am
      hopeing to come on here this morning and see it was a done deal. Just hopeing there are no last minute hickups. Good fella this judging by the video clips. I know you only get to see the good bits, but they seem pretty boody good to me. Strength, pace and a good bit of ability. Seems to read things very well, and not scared to stick a tackle in. Did someone say he was 6'5'' as well?The mans a monster, can't wait to see him in a red shirt. Another coup by Kenny ? let's see if he's able to step up to the demands of the Prem. Certainly looks like he might.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #738: Aug 30, 2011 10:30:33 am

Premier League will test talented Coates

Tim Vickery
      Monday, 29 August 2011

On the verge of joining Liverpool, Uruguay centre back Sebastian Coates was last seen on the pitch in Buenos Aires celebrating victory in the Copa America, and then accepting an award for the best young player of the tournament.

These are impressive credentials for a player who is not 21 until October.

Coates is shaping up as a potential future captain of his country but, assuming the deal goes through, the challenge he now faces at club level is very different, and is surely going to stretch the youngster with the gangling frame.

Tournament football is played to its own rhythm - look at Paraguay, beaten convincingly by Coates and his Uruguay team-mates in the final. They reached the decider without winning a single game.

In a competition where eight of the 12 teams make it through to the knock-out stage, the emphasis is on not being beaten. The 2011 Copa was a counter-attacking tournament, and part of Uruguay's success was that they read it so well.

In every game they played in last year's World Cup Uruguay had less possession than their opponents but more shots. During the Copa they made sure they pulled back still deeper, swapping striker Edinson Cavani for yet another hard working midfielder.

It was, then, a good tournament for a young centre-back to find his international feet.

Coates could defend deep, with Diego Perez and Egidio Arevalo Rios snapping into tackles in front of him - and the magnificent Diego Forlan-Luis Suarez partnership to win the game at the other end.

Coates is now about to team up with Suarez once more, but this time the circumstances are very different. Liverpool's quest is to win enough games to get into the top four, or even mount a title challenge.

It means that, if called upon, Coates will be asked to defend much higher up the field, with much less protection in front of him, in a context where everything is happening much more quickly than anything he has ever been used to in his young career.

It is a step up that proved far too big for a South American centre-back previously signed by Liverpool - Gabriel Paletta, who came to Anfield soon after helping Argentina win the 2005 World Youth Cup.

Paletta has gone on to prove himself in European football, coming back from a serious knee injury to enjoy a solid debut season in Italy with Parma. He is a strong, rugged defender - had he waited until now for a move to Liverpool he might have done better.

But as I argued in this space five years ago, swapping Banfield in the Argentine league for Liverpool in 2006 was dangerously premature.

In comparison, Coates would seem more prepared for the new demands he is about to face. Despite his age he has accumulated some interesting senior experience, as well as making his way through Uruguay's excellent youth ranks.

It was after shining for his country at Under-20 level at the start of 2009 that Coates was thrown into the deep end with Nacional, one of Uruguay's big two.

He made an immediate impression, and was a fixture in the side that year that became the first Uruguayan club in two decades to reach the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores.

Come the vital second leg at home to Estudiantes of Argentina, Coates made the crucial mistake, gifting an away goal after being caught in possession.

It was an unfortunate error, but also a great learning experience. There are no short cuts for young defenders. Mistakes are going to be made. In this case, Coates did not let it affect his momentum.

He has performed solidly through the club's two subsequent Libertadores campaigns, having responsibility thrust upon him and, without being a shouter, showing good leadership potential, organising things around him, keeping things simple and using his height to be a dominant figure in both penalty areas. He is much further down the road than Paletta was five years ago.

For all that, the step up he is taking is still a big one. For evidence, he need only look to the wildly differing fates in English football of his team-mates in the Uruguay attack.

Diego Forlan is a truly magnificent footballer - intelligent, audacious, unselfish, technically excellent. He could even speak good English when he crossed the Atlantic to join Manchester United.

But straight from Independiente in Argentina with no senior international experience, it was too much, too soon. At Old Trafford he could never get a regular run of games and he lost momentum and confidence - before going off to Spain and proving himself a truly world class player.

Suarez, on the other hand, arrived in the Premier League that vital few years later, having bedded in with Ajax and shown what he could do in a World Cup. He has lit up Liverpool from day one.

The one undoubted plus point about Sebastian Coates joining Liverpool now is that he will only have to face Suarez in training games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/08/premier_league_will_test_talen.html
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #739: Aug 30, 2011 11:06:23 am

Jen Chang: "Ovacion reports that Nacional/LFC offficials agreed informal contract draft last night of revised payment/payment delivery terms" ...

The original link ...

http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/110830/futnac-589898/futbolnacional/a-partir-de-hoy-coates-sera-un-red-/
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #740: Aug 30, 2011 12:02:03 pm
      Jen Chang: "Ovacion reports that Nacional/LFC offficials agreed informal contract draft last night of revised payment/payment delivery terms" ...

Basically, I think we'll be paying a similar amount.

I expect we offered to throw in a couple of boxes of these to keep Coates happy.

Zoinks!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #741: Aug 30, 2011 12:09:06 pm

I expect we offered to throw in a couple of boxes of these to keep Coates happy.

Zoinks!

:lmao:

Hopefully this is tied up by the end of the day.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #742: Aug 30, 2011 12:13:42 pm
      Hopefully this is tied up by the end of the day.

Probably will be ...

Dale Johnson (ESPN): "Sebastian Coates work permit appeal will be heard today" ...
      LFCexiled
      Reply #743: Aug 30, 2011 12:18:18 pm

Zoinks!

Or this variety might work better:

achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #744: Aug 30, 2011 12:35:38 pm
      Or this variety might work better:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #745: Aug 30, 2011 01:13:46 pm
      I hear its basically done pending the dreded work permit hearing! Any one know when these take place?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #746: Aug 30, 2011 01:19:08 pm
      The most likely outcome is that the work permit will be granted under the outstanding talent criteria, hopefully this should be done in time for the deadline.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #747: Aug 30, 2011 01:45:04 pm
      It's 100% official then, he is sporting an LFC biro!
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I hear its basically done pending the dreded work permit hearing! Any one know when these take place?

Said on SSN that it would take place today. I didn't catch the name but they said it was happening, as well as some other player for another club.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #748: Aug 30, 2011 04:20:44 pm
      JUST heard an interview with OLMOS the Nacional VP who is in charge of negotiations with Liverpool.
      He said Coates had been Granted the work permit, and that they are signing tonight(england time). It took longer because nacional wanted more money( f**king hate them)
      You heard it here first.  8)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #749: Aug 30, 2011 04:34:02 pm
      JUST heard an interview with OLMOS the Nacional VP who is in charge of negotiations with Liverpool.
      He said Coates had been Granted the work permit, and that they are signing tonight(england time). It took longer because nacional wanted more money( f**king hate them)

I bet you do ;D
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #750: Aug 30, 2011 04:39:07 pm
      Yayyyyy! :D
      Jpm3
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #751: Aug 30, 2011 04:58:29 pm
      Well, this deals going to be done in the next 24 hours. I think he goes into the first team fairly quickly. He's going to be our CB for a long time to come! YNWA
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #752: Aug 30, 2011 04:59:07 pm
      Nacional directors Hector Olmos and Alex Saul have arrived in England to work out the details of a £7.6 million deal for Sebastian Coates.

"We are in Lisbon, en route to Manchester. We are going to arrive 10 hours late, about six in the afternoon in Uruguay [22:00 BST]. We should have been there a while ago, but the negotiations will be done tonight," the club's contracts director said.

"I get the feeling that the normal paths of communication have not been maintained. We are going to negotiate and I believe that we are going to take a bit more money."

Liverpool are hoping to get Coates for around £7 million, but Nacional are reportedly going to argue that the Uruguayan turned down more lucrative offers to join an English club in the hopes of garnering a higher price.

Liverpool have long been connected with the 20-year-old, who played alongside Luis Suarez in the Copa America this year. Suarez was said to be part of the reason that Coates wanted to join Liverpool, so the youngster could settle into England easily.

Coates was in the Liverpool directors box during the match between the Merseyside club and Bolton on Saturday, and it is hoped that a deal will be official by tomorrow morning.

From GiveMeFootball.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #753: Aug 30, 2011 05:11:39 pm
      Oh no, not another ITK!  :P
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #754: Aug 30, 2011 05:33:55 pm

Good to hear that. ;D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #755: Aug 30, 2011 05:39:51 pm
      Quico you have been a great resources since you joined this board and a fine poster to boot, always enjoy reading your posts and appreciate the insight and knowledge you have....the forum is better with people like you and dexter involved.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #756: Aug 30, 2011 05:58:44 pm
      Something about this guy suggests he's going to be very special. Loving this transfer window!
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #757: Aug 30, 2011 06:03:19 pm
      Quico you have been a great resources since you joined this board and a fine poster to boot, always enjoy reading your posts and appreciate the insight and knowledge you have....the forum is better with people like you and dexter involved.
      I absolutely agree. Too bad Dex hasn't been on here for so long. Keep up the good work Quico, always enjoy reading your posts mate :gt-happyup:
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #758: Aug 30, 2011 06:19:37 pm
      Thanks guys. Its winter here, and have very little work to do, so basically i just have too much free time. I suppose i could go home, but the missus would find something for me to do...

God i miss summer
      With all my heart ;D

Quick Reply