Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

FA Back changes to Champions League

Read 3583 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      FA Back changes to Champions League
      Sep 01, 2007 01:49:53 pm
      Platini has basically suggested

Top Three in Prem automatic in to Group Stages

Fourth place not in Champions League - place goes to FA Cup winners.

(similar system to ensure that domestic cup tournaments all over Europe get better recognition for Champions League)

FA chief backs Uefa's Euro plans
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6973772.stm

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick has backed Uefa's plans for domestic cup winners to qualify for the Champions League.

Uefa president Michel Platini's may be on a collision course with the Premier League, who want to keep four places.

Barwick told BBC Radio 5live: "It is important to keep as many English clubs in the Champions League as possible.

"If another route is via the FA Cup, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. It might get other clubs into it."

In the last 10 years the FA Cup has only been won by the clubs that finished in the top four last season - Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

However, Barwick said the possibility was there to open qualification up to other clubs.

Referring to West Ham's last-gasp defeat in the 2006 FA Cup final by Liverpool, Barwick added: "West Ham were a minute away off having qualified."

Uefa's executive committee will decide on Platini's proposals in November.

His controversial proposals would also see six places in the Champions League reserved for champions of the 40 lowest leagues in Uefa's 50 member countries.

The champions of the top 12 associations will automatically qualify for the group stage.

It still remains my opinion that the tournament should only be for Champions however that isn't going to change.  I am quite in favour of the idea of the FA Cup winners getting a shot at the Champions League in place of the 4th placed Premiership side.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: FA Back changes to Champions League
      Reply #1: Sep 01, 2007 02:02:46 pm
      I don't think this will make much differece to the top 4, It will make a difference to the rest as if/when this comes into operation it will mean that the lower teams will have no chance of winning it. Only 2 out of the last 18 years have not gone to the "Big Four"
      1989 Liverpool
      1990 Manchester United
      1991 Tottenham Hotspur
      1992 Liverpool
      1993 Arsenal
      1994 Manchester United
      1995 Everton
      1996 Manchester United
      1997 Chelsea
      1998 Arsenal
      1999 Manchester United
      2000 Chelsea
      2001 Liverpool
      2002 Arsenal
      2003 Arsenal
      2004 Manchester United
      2005 Arsenal
      2006 Liverpool
      2007 Chelsea
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2007 02:26:54 pm
      I don't think this will make much differece to the top 4, It will make a difference to the rest as if/when this comes into operation it will mean that the lower teams will have no chance of winning it. Only 2 out of the last 18 years have not gone to the "Big Four"
      1989 Liverpool
      1990 Manchester United
      1991 Tottenham Hotspur
      1992 Liverpool
      1993 Arsenal
      1994 Manchester United
      1995 Everton
      1996 Manchester United
      1997 Chelsea
      1998 Arsenal
      1999 Manchester United
      2000 Chelsea
      2001 Liverpool
      2002 Arsenal
      2003 Arsenal
      2004 Manchester United
      2005 Arsenal
      2006 Liverpool
      2007 Chelsea

But in near enough all those years the winners have qualified for the CL via their league position. If this happens & the place goes to the team in fourth then I agree it would be pretty pointless, but if it goes to the runners up it would make the cup much more interesting. Just think, we could've had Millwall in the Champions League a few years ago  :o
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2007 02:50:31 pm
      I agree, firstly I think it will depend who finishes 4th! who goes into CL, you know how the FA can change its mind depending upon the teams in question! But if  the Cup winners are to go through then should it not be the 4th league team who goes through? but of course that is not how it works a the moment with the UEFA cup, but the FA Cup delivers only a UEFA place and not a CL spot. Guess we will have to wait for the FA to muck it up first.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2007 04:21:58 pm
      It will bring more prestige to the FA Cup and force teams not to sacrifice certain competitions for more 'important' ones such as the Champions League or the Prem! Would certainly shift manager's opinions of cup competitons, especially with a CL Place at the end of it!

What would happen though, if the winner of the FA Cup had already qualified for the Champions League via their league position! Would the place go to the FA Cup runner up or the 4th placed team in the league?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2007 06:59:25 pm
      It won't happen though will it, just imagine if one of the prems 'Big 4' weren't in the CL, they would cause an outrage, and it would probably end up in making a European Super League, the G-14 have to much say in the matter. So i really can't see it happening.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2007 08:01:16 pm
      I think platini is not doing his job.  He is trying depromote the champions league. His job is to try if possible to increase the quality and entertainment.   I think the best set up was when there were 2 group stages, more money, more games and more quality fixtures at the end of the tournament in knock out stages.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2007 09:35:20 pm
      Nah - think the way the got it now is just about right - not too many games and still enough knock-out rounds.

I read the Premier League chairman, Dave Richards stormed out of the meeting as well!

Uefa are always F***ing around with the competitions so it doesn't surprise me, but if the 4th place is to be given to the cup winners will this apply in other countries as well - even France Michel!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2007 11:18:48 pm
      From what I have heard if the FA Cup winners have already qualifed then 4th place will get it.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #9: Sep 02, 2007 10:19:58 pm
      Nah - think the way the got it now is just about right - not too many games and still enough knock-out rounds.

I read the Premier League chairman, Dave Richards stormed out of the meeting as well!

Uefa are always f***ing around with the competitions so it doesn't surprise me, but if the 4th place is to be given to the cup winners will this apply in other countries as well - even France Michel!

Give the place to an east european side.  After all the president wants to make the competion into a charity competition.
      eagle
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #10: Sep 06, 2007 08:03:36 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgYTIzyQKs what do you think this video(kral çArşı)
      Cy
      Reply #11: Sep 07, 2007 09:18:07 am
      It won't happen though will it, just imagine if one of the prems 'Big 4' weren't in the CL, they would cause an outrage, and it would probably end up in making a European Super League, the G-14 have to much say in the matter. So I really can't see it happening.
      I agree with you there, the g-14 got enough money to do so. These proposals are not welcome in France either, a majority of fans are going mad about that, the spirit there is more italy platini then platini france.
      I think a team who finish 4th after a whole season has more merit then someone who win the FA cup, it should be up to the FA to revalorising the FA cup, not the UEFA.

Quick Reply