Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you care about the League Cup?

Yes
      (96.8%)
      No
      (2.4%)
      Indifferent
      (0.8%)

Who cares about the League Cup?

Read 23899 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Aug 24, 2011 01:04:36 am
      Me

The Europa League topic pissed me off last season.  Where are we now - no Europe.  Looking like a right bunch of saddos.

Fairs Cup, UEFA Cups, European Cups, FA Cups and those famous four Consecutive League Cups are all an integral part of our history.

Even now you hear players joining saying they want to win the Champions League as if the title doesn't matter. Ridiculous.  What next? Joining clubs to get in to their national team just to win the World Cup?

If you're a Liverpool fan this trophy matters - every competition we enter matters.

So this topic wasn't actually a question.  It was just to reel you in before I reminded everyone ready to comment in the match thread tomorrow.

Me. And so should you.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Re: Who cares about the League Cup?
      Reply #1: Aug 24, 2011 01:06:18 am
      why not go for it? trophy is a trophy and especially that we aren't in any European competition we should go for it
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Aug 24, 2011 01:09:34 am
      Well said JD  :gt-happyup:

It was good enough in the 70's and 80's when we won it on a regular basis, it's a cup at the end of the day, and that's what Liverpool Football Club is all about - winning trophies  :champ:

Anyway, I want a trip to the new Wembley  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Aug 24, 2011 01:09:57 am
      why not go for it? trophy is a trophy and especially that we aren't in any European competition we should go for it

Being in Europe has no bearing on it for me.  Northampton last year was arguably the biggest embarrassment of the season in a long line of embarrassments.

If players can't pull their fingers out for a game 5 or so games away from a trophy then we haven't got any hope of instilling enough professionalism to challenge for the title.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #4: Aug 24, 2011 01:10:55 am
      Being in Europe has no bearing on it for me.  Northampton last year was arguably the biggest embarrassment of the season in a long line of embarrassments.

If players can't pull their fingers out for a game 5 or so games away from a trophy then we haven't got any hope of instilling enough professionalism to challenge for the title.

I agree
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #5: Aug 24, 2011 01:11:13 am
      League cup? F.A cup? Any trophy is worth winning, we are Liverpool FC we should be trying to win everything we can get our hands on, league cup and the F.A cup are just important in my mind as each other, maybe to others they are not but to me, they bring about a winning mentality, i said it in another thread, to win the league cup or to get in the final, will give us that mentality, that winning mentality that can take us further into the f.a cup, hopefully as winners, therefore the more competitive in each competition, the better we play in the league, imo.

Is the league cup important? Yes. Is the F.A Cup important? Yes. We need to be aiming to win everything, no matter the name of the trophy, its the winning that counts.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Aug 24, 2011 01:11:21 am
      Always have, always will, much like I am with the much maligned Europa League.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #7: Aug 24, 2011 01:13:06 am
      I want a League Cup!
      The great Milk cup victories of the past great LFC teams were fantastic and to demean this years competition is to demean our prior glory.
      We need a strong foundation for our future and a league cup is the great way to go about it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Aug 24, 2011 01:14:43 am

I think you'll see a different attitude though from the players this season, Kenny will never let them take anything for granted and will instill into them the importance of this trophy.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #9: Aug 24, 2011 01:33:44 am
      If you're a Liverpool fan you should feel excited about the cup just because we have overhauled everything, the direction we're heading with Kenny is positive and best of all we have quality youngsters that will feature in these cup games. Huge incentive to watch.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: Aug 24, 2011 01:38:41 am
      I do.

All that "It's okay to get knocked out in this so we can concentrate on that" is bullshit.

Big clubs go for all trophies. As for Liverpool, it's all about winning.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11: Aug 24, 2011 01:40:29 am
      Me.

It's a trophy a cup to add to a cabinet that has not been opened in far too long for a club like ours.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Aug 24, 2011 01:58:07 am
      The more, the merrier. Go for the cup, go for the kill.

1 more title for the club.

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #13: Aug 24, 2011 02:05:56 am

Every trophy is important ... Without the Europa League, the Carling Cup and the FA Cup are our best chances of winning silverware this season ... Still, I would like to see more young players being given a chance of some first team football in these two competitions, instead of experimenting with them in the league, where we should exclusively play our strongest starting XI ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: Aug 24, 2011 02:17:55 am
      Sadly I have to admit that over the last few years I have been one of those that haven't really cared about the league cup, didn't really care about the UEFA CUP and who was only really interested in winning the league. Arrogant or maybe just desperate to win the league I suppose. We have been too long without a trophy now for such arrogance and we need to win a trophy and the League cup is our first chance ....so lets win it. 

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #15: Aug 24, 2011 02:30:32 am
      League, FA and League Cup.

We have the squad to win them all. And the manager.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #16: Aug 24, 2011 02:36:02 am
      I actually can't wait until KO tomorrow cos I just love watching Liverpool no matter what sort of game it is.

So go out there lads and win the game tomorrow and then hopefully the League Cup
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Reply #17: Aug 24, 2011 04:05:07 am
      Agreed with all above :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: Aug 24, 2011 04:06:32 am
      Might as well win it, will go well with our league title and FA Cup successes ;)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #19: Aug 24, 2011 04:19:32 am
      I wont dispute that their is a hierarchy in terms of Importance. For me its, League Title, UCL, FA, Europa, Carling and so on.  However I do expect the team and players to play just as hard in the Carling Cup matches as they would in the UCL Final. Especially for an organization that hasn't lifted any hardware in a looooooong time.  But to play devils advocate.....where do you draw the line in importance in regards to playing to win and resting and preventing injury to your first teamers and starters?  If you have a League Cup game on a Thursday and a UCL qualifier 4 days later, do you sit your first team for the League Cup match to win the UCL match.
      Bier
      Reply #20: Aug 24, 2011 04:29:44 am
      I agree JD. I heard the other week that PSV has played European football every season since 1974. That's an accomplishment to be proud of, and it made me sad that we're not playing European football this season. Every competition matters.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Aug 24, 2011 05:51:26 am
      Northampton was one of the lowest and shittest feelings ive ever had as a Liverpool fan. And i thought it couldn't get worse than Reading the year before!

This Cup, as always, is there for the taking. We now have a revitalized squad and manager for it. Lets take it!
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #22: Aug 24, 2011 06:04:44 am
      Wow,what an awakening.I want us to win whatever we take part in - League Cup,FA Cup,League title,Next gen trophy, absolutely everything.

Quick Reply