Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you care about the League Cup?

Yes
      (96.8%)
      No
      (2.4%)
      Indifferent
      (0.8%)

Who cares about the League Cup?

Read 23902 times
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Re: Who cares about the League Cup?
      Reply #23: Aug 24, 2011 06:51:16 am
      I blame the old regime as much as the team last year. Hodgson was clueless and didn't understand the mentality of 'liverpool' we should steam roll teams like Northampton by 4/5 goals.

I'm definitely sure Kenny will plan on finishing this game off in the 1st hour.

It's silverware and each bit of silverware just adds to our pedigree.

We wouldn't of completed the Treble in 2001 without winning this. Also bringing one of the best days of my life in Cardiff.

If we were playing in tbe Sunday Business Houses league I'd want us to win that.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #24: Aug 24, 2011 07:04:41 am
      What I find difficult is that we send out a second string team to play, it seems like its “lets give the unfit, and the youngsters some game time, which tells me that the club isn’t too bothered about winning the league cup either IMHO.

It doesn’t mean that I don’t want us to win!!! I want us to win every game we play!! Even the pre-season friendlies when I watched us it hurt to see us lose.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011 07:24:09 am by dizzy141 »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2011 07:15:45 am
      What I find difficult is that we send out a second string team to play, it seems like its “lets give the unfit, and the youngsters some game time, which tells me that the club isn’t too bothered about winning the league cup either IMHO.

It doesn’t mean that I don’t want us to win!!! I want us to win every game we play!! Even the pre-season friendlies when I watched us it hurt to see us loose.

But they have to get time somewhere right?

Plus there is that degree of "sportsmanship" if you like, with not sending your best XI out to face Exeter. It would be disrespectful to the opposition not to give them a good game but in a way it would also be disrespectful to them to field our best team wouldn't it, given they play in League One?

The mentality of "it's only the league cup" probably got us to where we are now where it isn't respected highly but now that we're there I think it's the "right" thing to do, but of course, Kenny will be mindful not to be too arrogant and he will have some senior heads in the side, that's why I didn't know how to predict the lineup.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2011 07:17:53 am
      I'm not trying to start an argument but I think it's a dead rubber from the start. The modern game dictates the big money is disproportionate - e.g. winning the Europa is less money than reaching the CL group stage. Look at the effect it has on a squad/fixtures.

I'm a true red, I never want to see us lose but in the grand scheme of things I just don't think its worth it. Let me ask those of you who are die hard supporters of the League Cup. If asked, with regard to this season: Would you take 4th place now? How many of you said yes?

Same thing

Priorities people. unfortunately modern days clubs are businesses and they have to have them.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2011 07:26:28 am
      Yes - I wanted us to win the Screen Sport Super Cup (one for the oldies....)
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #28: Aug 24, 2011 07:36:03 am
      But they have to get time somewhere right?

Plus there is that degree of "sportsmanship" if you like, with not sending your best XI out to face Exeter. It would be disrespectful to the opposition not to give them a good game but in a way it would also be disrespectful to them to field our best team wouldn't it, given they play in League One?

The mentality of "it's only the league cup" probably got us to where we are now where it isn't respected highly but now that we're there I think it's the "right" thing to do, but of course, Kenny will be mindful not to be too arrogant and he will have some senior heads in the side, that's why I didn't know how to predict the lineup.

Is that not the reason we have a reserve team? Game time, development and match fitness etc.

I dont disagree with sportsmanship and avoiding injuries to "star" players I get all of that.

What i'm trying to say is when I think of league cup and even FA cup, when we not sending out our best team it feels like we dont care about the Cup.    
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Aug 24, 2011 07:51:47 am

What I'm trying to say is when I think of league cup and even FA cup, when we not sending out our best team it feels like we dont care about the Cup.     

It's not caring about the cup - it's strategy for a long season. If we played our best squad in every game, no matter the opposition, we'd be a lot more at risk of burnout. I'd love for us to send Suarez and co out straight away to guarantee a win from the off, but when we have talent in reserve that we hope can come in and get a result against lesser opposition, then it makes sense to try and rest some of the star players to make sure they have the freshest legs possible for the sterner tests ahead.

The club cares about every competition it plays in. It has to strategize how they use the pieces of the puzzle they have though to best plan for the entire season. And I'm damn sure Kenny cares, so if you don't then i dare you to go tell Kenny you're a Liverpool fan who doesn't care for the cup.

I used to not care so much. But i was educated since, and maturing as i have you realize that every match Liverpool plays matters. I get pissed off when we lose a pre-season game!

I'll be wearing my jersey, beer in hand and screaming for us to score like every game at 11:45am tomorrow and will expect nothing less than Liverpool victory.

ged
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 24, 2011 07:59:36 am
      About time we had a trip back to Anfield South! No matter what cup its for!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: Aug 24, 2011 08:48:09 am
      ME

Its a Trophy & as Shanks said We are in business to win them.
      Winning breads Winning Fabregas & Nasri may still be Arsenal player's
      if they had won it last season? That could have given them to imputus
      to push on & win the league, instead of imploding winning nothing & losing
      there best player's.

Let's try and win the soddin thing
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #32: Aug 24, 2011 08:51:36 am
      ME

Its a Trophy & as Shanks said We are in business to win them.
      Winning breads Winning Fabregas & Nasri may still be Arsenal player's
      if they had won it last season? That could have given them to imputus
      to push on & win the league, instead of imploding winning nothing & losing
      there best player's.

Let's try and win the soddin thing

THIS
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #33: Aug 24, 2011 08:51:50 am
      Who's showing this?
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #34: Aug 24, 2011 08:59:28 am
      We are long overdue a trip to Wembley don't care how we get there.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #35: Aug 24, 2011 09:15:22 am
      Whatever cup name it FA Cup, League Cup, CL or Europa and even the most elusive PL title are important. What the heck of you even competing if you don't really care of winning. Might as well pull out of the competition. It's not Mickey Mouse Cup as someone might have said before. It's as important as any other cups as you're competing against clubs all over England.

For me winning is about pride and honour. Not matter what cup it is, you have to give your very best and try to win.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #36: Aug 24, 2011 09:22:13 am
      The saying goes "Winning breeds winning".

As soon as we get the taste of winning trophies, even if it is a "minor" one like the league cup this will spur the players on to wanting to relive that feeling on a bigger stage be it the FA cup, Champions league or bring the PL back to Anfield.

We are building a young squad and getting a title under their belt in their first season together will help forge a team of winners.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #37: Aug 24, 2011 09:24:47 am
       The way I see it is every cup that we win  means no other club can win it. I dream of the days like when we used to expect to win the lot and hopefully under Kenny Dalglish those days are back.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #38: Aug 24, 2011 09:33:39 am
      We're on Sky tonight I think. Looking forward to Raheem getting some game time. By the end of the night I reckon he will be thrusted into the spotlight.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Aug 24, 2011 09:34:11 am
      We're on Sky tonight I think. Looking forward to Raheem getting some game time. By the end of the night I reckon he will be thrusted into the spotlight.
      Pity that.
      Don't do Sky Sports
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #40: Aug 24, 2011 09:41:28 am
      I care enough about it to check the score, but in all honesty I'm not too bothered (although I almost cared such was the passionate opening thread from JD).

I know it's a part of our history, but the game has changed and this cup is 'nice-to-have'. It's good for blooding youngsters and it's good for team spirit to instill winning mentality but really, if we don't win it, are we really going to be as devastated as with other cups? If went 20 years without it, would we be yearning for it as much as the league title?

For me, league has always been number 1, followed by Champs Lge. Carling Cup is a sideshow.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #41: Aug 24, 2011 09:41:36 am
      I care.  It is a trophy, a competition we've entered, I want to win it.  When we win the League Cup, we will know what it is like to win and we can only gain confidence, to attack the FA cup and the title.

Plus we've won this cup more times than anyone else.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #42: Aug 24, 2011 09:44:42 am
      ^
      Then go to the pub & watch that way your not actually giving any of your dough
      to Murdoch that's what i do.

Personally i can't watch a game on a computer it's crap.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #43: Aug 24, 2011 09:53:43 am
      ^
      Then go to the pub & watch that way your not actually giving any of your dough
      to Murdoch that's what I do.

actually, you are
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #44: Aug 24, 2011 10:38:02 am
      One of my earliest memories of watching Liverpool on TV was the 95 Coca Cola Cup final.  I remember watching it at my Gran's and celebrating with her - there's a photo of us wearing Liverpool beanie hats, I was only about 7. :D

I'll never forget that feeling of joy watching Liverpool win the first trophy that I can remember in my lifetime.  There's no 'its only the League Cup' in my book.  :gt-happyup:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #45: Aug 24, 2011 10:48:41 am
      If we go out, that means we have lost and that matters.

We should aim to win EVERYTHING, even if it is an inconvenience.

Oh, by the way, the slug feels different... Warnock pleased with Carling Cup exit

Quick Reply