Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

IAAF World Championships 2011

Read 4852 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      IAAF World Championships 2011
      Aug 27, 2011 01:54:18 am
      The 2011 World Athletics Champs is being held in Deagu, South Korea this year.  Looking forward to a week and a bit of top class athletics!

Women's marathon on at the moment, a lot of runners in a large pack at the front still after 50 minutes.

mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Re: IAAF World Championships 2011
      Reply #1: Aug 28, 2011 12:05:42 pm
      Gutted for Mo Farah there, pipped on the line but takes the silver medal.

Mens 100m final coming up shortly.  Bolt will surely win it but another world record?  Can't see it myself.

Such a shame Powell and Gay are missing this one.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #2: Aug 28, 2011 06:30:17 pm
      Gutted for Mo Farah there, pipped on the line but takes the silver medal.

Mens 100m final coming up shortly.  Bolt will surely win it but another world record?  Can't see it myself.

Such a shame Powell and Gay are missing this one.

The Etiopian fella wanted it so much, incredible strength down the home straight to overtake Mo.  He put a real burst in around the 50m to go mark, which Mo couldn't match.  Real shame for him.

And poor Usain Bolt, disqualified for a false start.  That was the only way he was going to lose though.  Good run by Yohan Blake to win easily.

Let's see what the 5k and 200m bring later in the week for both of them.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Aug 29, 2011 12:54:46 pm
      And poor Usain Bolt, disqualified for a false start.  That was the only way he was going to lose though.  Good run by Yohan Blake to win easily.

I didn't realise the rules for false starts had changed, still thought he had another chance.

I'm sure Bolt will take his frustrations out and have a stormer in the 200m run.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Aug 29, 2011 04:10:39 pm
      Love Mo Farah, gutted for him.  He will win gold in 2012 :)
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #5: Aug 29, 2011 07:04:04 pm
      I didn't realise the rules for false starts had changed, still thought he had another chance.

I'm sure Bolt will take his frustrations out and have a stormer in the 200m run.

It does seem harsh, but the previous method meant that anyone in the race would be disqualified for false starting if there had already been one false start.  It's a timing issue as well, as false starts take up a fair amount of time which the authorities want to minimise.  Although the IAAF have said they will review the rule.

Good day for Team GB today, Andy Turner finished fourth in the 110m hurdles but was promoted to the bronze medal placing after Robles was disqualified for interfering with Lui Xiang.  His hand caught Xiang's twice and the second one looked to really put Xiang out of his stride.

Jess Ennis is leading the heptathlon going into day 2.  She was a bit below par in the 100m hurdles and high jump but put herself back in contention with a PB in the shot followed by the fastest time of the day in the 200m.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #6: Aug 31, 2011 09:06:58 pm
      Real shame yesterday for Jess Ennis, she had an awful javelin competition and ended up with the silver.  Good run by Dai Greene in the men's 400m hurdles semi, fingers crossed for him in the final.

Mo Farrar has been passed fit for the 5000m.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2011 01:39:51 pm
      Get in!  Dai Greene wins the men's 400m hurdles.  GB's first gold medal!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2011 10:04:23 pm
      Get in!  Dai Greene wins the men's 400m hurdles.  GB's first gold medal!

Brilliant...I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched any of this, and I love the athletics as well, just no time at the minute. I've enjoyed keeping up with this thread though, so thanks whyohwhy.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #9: Sep 02, 2011 02:23:44 am
      Brilliant...I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched any of this, and I love the athletics as well, just no time at the minute. I've enjoyed keeping up with this thread though, so thanks whyohwhy.

There's been a lot going on this week to be fair  :D!  I'm guilty of missing Hannah England's silver medal in the women's 1500m, well in Hannah!  Dai had been bigging himself up this week and he delivered, quite comfortably in the end, but Hannah's was a bonus, fantastic!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Sep 04, 2011 12:03:09 pm
      Mo gets his gold!! What a run that was! Brilliantly timed. Love his facial expressions as well. :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2011 12:08:37 pm
      So pleased for Mo. 

He's worked so hard and I thought he was going to be one of those who could have, should have but never did, win a title,

Well done Mo, now let's get another in the triple jump.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2011 12:34:37 pm
      Anyone watch Sally Pearson?

No one touched her. Great performance.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #13: Sep 04, 2011 01:12:58 pm

Aye, I'm not a big fan of the hurdle events but I watched her race a few times.  Pure poetry in motion she was, so fluid over the hurdles.

Its been a fantastic day of athletics today, especially seeing Mo win the gold. :)

Great triple jump as well, and a brilliant way to end with another Jamaica and Usain Bolt world record.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #14: Sep 04, 2011 05:02:35 pm
      Mo gets his gold!! What a run that was! Brilliantly timed. Love his facial expressions as well. :D

Fantastic wasn't it B?  Loved watching that race today.  Was thrilled to bits for him  ;D
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #15: Sep 04, 2011 08:03:59 pm

Been away this weekend but followed events on the radio in the car.  Just seen C4's highlights programme, what a talent she is!

Loved Mo's run, chuffed to bits for him!  Unlucky for Phillips Idowu in the men's triple jump, came close but was beaten by an outstanding jump by USA's Christian Taylor.  What a time to do a PB!

and a brilliant way to end with another Jamaica and Usain Bolt world record.

That was some finale!  Usain is untouchable!  37.04, that's a staggering time, well run Jamaica!

I'm so looking forward to 2012 now!
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #16: Sep 04, 2011 11:08:20 pm
      Mo Farah is incredible.  Love the guy.  That running at 16 seconds per 100m, sustained for 5k.  Incredible.

He ran that 5k almost twice as fast as I can run it - and I'm an alright runner.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #17: Sep 05, 2011 12:48:26 pm
      Was a great championship - I prefer the worlds to the Olympics as its just track and field rather than synchronised swimming, beach volleyball and all that other guff.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Sep 05, 2011 02:26:44 pm
      Was a great championship - I prefer the worlds to the Olympics as its just track and field rather than synchronised swimming, beach volleyball and all that other guff.

Judo, proper swimming and cycling etc are all important Olympic events.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2011 03:24:45 pm
      Judo, proper swimming and cycling etc are all important Olympic events.

Yeah I know they are and lots more too...I just prefer the tarck and field thats all.

Quick Reply