Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sebastian Coates Player Thread (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 115562 times
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Re: Sebastian Coates Player Thread
      Reply #138: Sep 21, 2011 10:31:34 am
      Nope, he was fine, his pace won't be a problem, please don't allow RedSteve to help you form an opinion of a player, because if it's a Liverpool player it will be a negative opinion that he's trying to get you to form.

WTF?

That was an honest & unbiased assesment of him. Did he not get done for pace then & have to haul him down? It wasnt all bad either, I of course took into consideration about it being his first game, a difficult one at that & he's very young from a different country. I have high hopes for the lad, thought it was a very good buy. That doesnt mean all of a sudden he is a pacey defender!

Also if you care to look up I have said -

"Pretty good conisdering what arena he had to enter. Kenny must rate him to chuck him in like that, we did have other options. Looks like he has good awareness for one so young comming from a different league"

Thats really nagative isnt it. Derrrrrr...

Talk to me about Suarez, Lucas, Gerrard, Pepe & the likes & I will wax lyrical. Talk to me about Adam, Carroll & you will get different feedback.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #139: Sep 21, 2011 10:38:54 am
      He got caught & that led to him getting booked. It was reasonably close to being a red as well & I dont think he took that into consideration, that said he had to take the man down. Looked slow on the turn, abit clumsy.
      Totally disagree. I think he looks slow at times because he is so tall so he's not going to have that 'busy scamper' you see from shorter players. I'd say he is quick enough to keep up, yes.
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #140: Sep 21, 2011 10:45:48 am
      Totally disagree. I think he looks slow at times because he is so tall so he's not going to have that 'busy scamper' you see from shorter players. I'd say he is quick enough to keep up, yes.

Maybe, but he got done & couldnt get back. Therefore lacked pace on that occasion, or did I miss something? Im not knocking the lad, but that happened. I'm not saying he is too slow either, just that he isnt the quickest.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #141: Sep 21, 2011 10:51:58 am
      Maybe, but he got done & couldnt get back. Therefore lacked pace on that occasion, or did I miss something? Im not knocking the lad, but that happened. I'm not saying he is too slow either, just that he isnt the quickest.

He did get back and make the tackle though and it wasn't reckless, just slightly misjudged and he caught the player, not the ball.
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #142: Sep 21, 2011 10:56:09 am
      He did get back and make the tackle though and it wasn't reckless, just slightly misjudged and he caught the player, not the ball.

If he had got back he would have taken the ball, he was to late = too slow. Thats why he commited the foul. I didnt say it was reckless either, it was a tackle he had to make
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #143: Sep 21, 2011 10:58:10 am
      If he had got back he would have taken the ball, he was to late = too slow. Thats why he commited the foul. I didnt say it was reckless either, it was a tackle he had to make

He got back to make the tackle = not slow, tackle was slightly misjudged and he nearly took the ball.  Him getting back to make the tackle negates the slow part.
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #144: Sep 21, 2011 11:27:45 am
      He got back to make the tackle = not slow, tackle was slightly misjudged and he nearly took the ball.  Him getting back to make the tackle negates the slow part.

He wasnt quick enough to get back to get to the ball. Thats the bottom line.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #145: Sep 21, 2011 11:32:45 am

He wasnt quick enough to get back to get to the ball. Thats the bottom line.

He was back, if anything the tackle is the thing we should be discussing, not his speed, because he was back to back it in the first place, much more of a discussion in whether he should have stayed on his feet, rather than attempt the tackle.  the fact that on first showing, it looked like he won the ball, even to the commentators, says he got back quick enough.   
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #146: Sep 21, 2011 11:56:36 am
      He was back, if anything the tackle is the thing we should be discussing, not his speed, because he was back to back it in the first place, much more of a discussion in whether he should have stayed on his feet, rather than attempt the tackle.  the fact that on first showing, it looked like he won the ball, even to the commentators, says he got back quick enough.   

He didnt get back enough to get the ball in time, thats why he clipped the player. That can only mean one thing, he was too slow! Not rocket science. Listen we wont agree, so I'm going to change my mind and agree with you! Coates was really quick & got back with pace to make the tackle. Then when he got back fast enough he didn’t make the tackle due to something else

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #147: Sep 21, 2011 12:10:11 pm
      He didnt get back enough to get the ball in time, thats why he clipped the player. That can only mean one thing, he was too slow! Not rocket science. Listen we wont agree, so I'm going to change my mind and agree with you! Coates was really quick & got back with pace to make the tackle. Then when he got back fast enough he didn’t make the tackle due to something else

The thing is mate he did get back in there, then mistimed the tackle.

He isn't the quickest though, and never will be for his size and build. His game will need to be based around having a good starting position rather than being able to motor back.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #148: Sep 21, 2011 12:36:30 pm
      All he needs to do is take note of a certain great Finn who was similar in stature. I believe it'll come, but it'll take time.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #149: Sep 21, 2011 01:12:37 pm

It's not about agreeing, the speed of the player is irelevant, he got back, the speed of the player had nothing to do with the mistimed challenge because he got back, as I said, for me, the issue isn't the speed, and Coates will never be quick, it's whether he should of stayed on his feet, because regardless of his speed, he got back to make a challenge that was marginally mistimed.
      « Last Edit: Sep 21, 2011 01:26:21 pm by Roddenberry »
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #150: Sep 21, 2011 02:05:10 pm
      F**k me, because a player has to turn and catch an attacker who is already in full flow he's slow?

He did VERY well to get back, and if he'd got his toe on it (which he missed by only a few inches) it would have been the tackle of the season

I guarantee you, he's a lot quicker than he looks.

He has a huge stride that really eats up the ground.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #151: Sep 21, 2011 02:08:58 pm
      He has a huge stride that really eats up the ground.

Maybe, bit like Carroll who we all dismiss as slow, but last season he was one of our quickest players according to the stats!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #152: Sep 21, 2011 02:10:19 pm
      Think his biggest mistake was diving into the tackle. When you see the replay he got it completely wrong.
      Mind you Agger was struggling to compensate for the other defenders being out of sorts so Coates coming on for his debut
      was always going to struggle. I'm just glad he seemed to have some fight in him. We might need it the way our defending has been so far.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #153: Sep 21, 2011 02:12:09 pm
      Maybe, bit like Carroll who we all dismiss as slow, but last season he was one of our quickest players according to the stats!

Exactly mate.

Coates might not be the quickest on the turn, but neither was Sami, and I can't really think of a big CB who is.

He's athletic, quick, looks pretty strong and can play the ball - and he's only 20.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #154: Sep 21, 2011 02:16:15 pm
      He can certainly get distance into the hoofs. Sort the accuracy and he can lob the keeper from his own box.
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #155: Sep 21, 2011 04:24:19 pm

Just goes to show our complete lack of pace then.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #156: Sep 21, 2011 04:35:06 pm

That really takes the biscuit.

What a crock of agenda filled sh*te.

So, Kelly, Johnson, Gerrard and Suarez are slow are they?

Because Carroll is right up there with them, not to mention that the Uruguay team coach has stated that Coates is deceptively quick.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #157: Sep 21, 2011 04:46:09 pm
      why do you even support liverpool you just love slating everyone and dismissing the team.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #158: Sep 21, 2011 07:03:08 pm
      why do you even support liverpool

He doesn't.

Get with it mate the lad is a bad, bad WUM.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #159: Sep 21, 2011 07:06:07 pm
      He doesn't.

Get with it mate the lad is a bad, bad WUM.

I dunno mate, I think people confuse what he see's as realism with negativity and unwarranted crticism.

Or yeah, maybe he's just a wum ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #160: Sep 21, 2011 07:07:31 pm
      Looking forward to watching him tonight, very hard to judge him on that F***ing shambles Sunday.

Quick Reply