Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Sebastian Coates Player Thread (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 115622 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Re: Sebastian Coates Player Thread
      Reply #575: Apr 25, 2013 10:51:42 am
      Because as it is there is still some debate about whether he is any good or not and we might get a reasonable fee for him. Play him and it might all go up in a puff of smoke.

Good point Mick.

I reckon we could still get the money back if we sold him as it stands.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #576: Apr 25, 2013 11:01:15 am
      Because as it is there is still some debate about whether he is any good or not and we might get a reasonable fee for him. Play him and it might all go up in a puff of smoke.

Or after a game or two of bedding in, playing regularly, he may prove to be a revelation and fulfill some of his promise. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #577: Apr 25, 2013 11:12:54 am
      Or after a game or two of bedding in, playing regularly, he may prove to be a revelation and fulfill some of his promise. 

An equally good point Rodders.

I'd play him, personally, and see if he can fullfil some promise as you say.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #578: Apr 25, 2013 12:53:27 pm
      He should play, in my opinion. He deserves a chance, in particular with Carra retiring. I think he is certainly good enough, just needs a run in the team.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #579: Apr 25, 2013 01:36:42 pm
       I'd rather play Andre Wisdom in there, I think he'll make a centre half.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #580: Apr 25, 2013 02:00:28 pm
      Coates has looked both brilliant (Man City) and terrible (Oldham) this season. I wish we could have seen just a wee bit more of him. I do feel that he should have at least been given the final 15-20 minutes of some games.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #581: May 13, 2013 02:44:57 pm
      Thoughts on Seba's first start in like a million games? I thought he looked both good and bad at times, but considering he hasn't played in forever, he had a decent game.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #582: May 13, 2013 02:52:22 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #583: May 13, 2013 08:32:23 pm
      Really concerned whenever he is in the line up nowadays. I don't know if it's because he rarely plays but whenever he does he is so clumsy, he gets beaten far too easily and he just kind of clatters into players like Bambi on ice when trying to tackle. Hope I am wrong though and that it's just a lack of match sharpness because regardless how much a player trains if he only plays once every couple of months then they are going to struggle because they aren't used to it, especially a lad in his early 20's.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #584: May 13, 2013 11:34:02 pm
      Really concerned whenever he is in the line up nowadays. I don't know if it's because he rarely plays but whenever he does he is so clumsy, he gets beaten far too easily and he just kind of clatters into players like Bambi on ice when trying to tackle. Hope I am wrong though and that it's just a lack of match sharpness because regardless how much a player trains if he only plays once every couple of months then they are going to struggle because they aren't used to it, especially a lad in his early 20's.

Kind of like a defensive version of Carroll who has presented himself as Bambi in the box on more than one occasion.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #585: May 22, 2013 10:03:47 pm
      Dont think we should give up on this lad yet.

Hes obviously talented, maybe his confidence has been shaken a bit but he can bounce back from that given the chance to prove it.

Think we'd be silly to sell him off, loan maybe with the view that hes back in full flow for 2015 season but dont sell him 
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #586: May 23, 2013 12:04:28 am
      Don't really see where the lad went that wrong to be frozen out so much.

Was it the one Oldham game?

If so very harsh on the lad.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #587: May 23, 2013 01:48:33 am
      Young promising centre back gonna be shown the door for what?.

Lad deserves a chance or is another excuse to get rid of a Kenny purchase?.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #588: May 23, 2013 02:58:25 pm
      Never given a good run of games. Most CBs struggle when playing few games a year, and this is even worse for young players. Your timming becomes sh*t, and your confidence takes a big hit. Major problems for a lad playing in that position, where a F**k up means a goal. Our forwards fu**ed up in countless times, and they all received plenty of chances-

Gutted if he goes, he could have been a beast, after adapting and bulking up a bit. (I still want to scream SCOOBY DOOOOO WHERE ARE YOUUUUU every time i see him!)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #589: May 24, 2013 08:24:23 pm
      give him time he needs a bit more confidence and a bit more strength and experience
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #590: May 25, 2013 04:38:37 am
      Horrible news, if he goes. :(
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #591: May 25, 2013 06:36:38 am
      give him time he needs a bit more confidence and a bit more strength and experience

I agree with you, but think the writing is on the wall with this one, damn shame too because when he came in he looked an outstanding prospect.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #592: Jul 08, 2013 08:16:54 pm
      I cant help but feel we would be making a mistake to cut our losses on Seba so early.. I have a strange feeling somewhere there is a real player in him and that at some point he will realise that potential.. He could become the "next Gerard Pique" in terms of struggling to settle at a club abroad as a kid then moving and becoming a top class cb..

For me he has all the technical ability, good with the ball, intimidating build.. He just needs coaching right. I remember hearing comments from South American experts when we signed him saying it was maybe a touch early for the move and that he would need time to adapt to the pace of the league.. That still holds true for me.. When he matures he could be a great cb.

Ideally id like to se him go on loan to a decent Italian side (Napoli under Rafa would be perfect), learn the art of defending, play lots of games then come back and give it another go..

Probably wont happen but i just have a niggling feeling that this could be one slipping through our fingers
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #593: Jul 08, 2013 08:41:46 pm
      I cant help but feel we would be making a mistake to cut our losses on Seba so early.. I have a strange feeling somewhere there is a real player in him and that at some point he will realise that potential.. He could become the "next Gerard Pique" in terms of struggling to settle at a club abroad as a kid then moving and becoming a top class cb..

For me he has all the technical ability, good with the ball, intimidating build.. He just needs coaching right. I remember hearing comments from South American experts when we signed him saying it was maybe a touch early for the move and that he would need time to adapt to the pace of the league.. That still holds true for me.. When he matures he could be a great cb.

Ideally id like to se him go on loan to a decent Italian side (Napoli under Rafa would be perfect), learn the art of defending, play lots of games then come back and give it another go..

Probably wont happen but i just have a niggling feeling that this could be one slipping through our fingers

Totally agree with this, held him in extremely high regard when he came and have similar feelings to yourself PD. Letting him go could be a huge mistake but feel it's inevitable now.

Granted he didn't perform the few times we tried him out this season, but to judge on sporadic appearances is unfair if he has never been given a true run in the side. I'd personally love him to be loaned out with a view to being given a chance but as I said, I don't think that will happen.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #594: Jul 08, 2013 11:16:28 pm
      Kind of agree what you two lads have said above.

I've read and heard talked about that Brendan seems to like a ball player and a  strong defender at CB and just wonder given the time could Seba be that player to play alongside an Agger type player and if a loan might be the best move so that we don't miss out on what could be a very talented player in a few years time.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #595: Jul 08, 2013 11:28:39 pm
      Kind of agree what you two lads have said above.

I've read and heard talked about that Brendan seems to like a ball player and a  strong defender at CB and just wonder given the time could Seba be that player to play alongside an Agger type player and if a loan might be the best move so that we don't miss out on what could be a very talented player in a few years time.

I do always wonder, and some may call me pessimistic, how useful loaning a player like that out really is. I can see it being handy for a player like Sterling, Ibe etc (I.e. young). I also see that it may help Seba learn the English game, whilst probably taking him off the wage bill temporarily.

However, in my opinion, the lad needs to be thrown in to the first team. Most probably won't agree with me and I appreciate it may go down as a bit of a risk. However, I think he is good enough, he just needs a run in the team alongside quality players. Playing in a make shift team in Cup competitions can't help a player feel comfortable. I play Amatuer league team and, whilst its different as we don't train with the same players each day, I hate playing alongside a player I've never played a full competitive game with before. You don't know how good they really are until they are thrown in regularly.

So, overall, put him in the team and what better time to do so than preseason. If it doesn't work out, maybe look to a loan or even a possible sale. However, I think playing in the first team will be more worthwhile.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #596: Jul 08, 2013 11:30:59 pm
      I do always wonder, and some may call me pessimistic, how useful loaning a player like that out really is. I can see it being handy for a player like Sterling, Ibe etc (I.e. young). I also see that it may help Seba learn the English game, whilst probably taking him off the wage bill temporarily.

However, in my opinion, the lad needs to be thrown in to the first team. Most probably won't agree with me and I appreciate it may go down as a bit of a risk. However, I think he is good enough, he just needs a run in the team alongside quality players. Playing in a make shift team in Cup competitions can't help a player feel comfortable. I play Amatuer league team and, whilst its different as we don't train with the same players each day, I hate playing alongside a player I've never played a full competitive game with before. You don't know how good they really are until they are thrown in regularly.

So, overall, put him in the team and what better time to do so than preseason. If it doesn't work out, maybe look to a loan or even a possible sale. However, I think playing in the first team will be more worthwhile.

I do see your point mate and I do ofetn feel that once a player of Coates age goes on loan they very rarely come back and make an impact at their original club.

If it was me I'd have played him much more last season so agree with playing a player to see if he is good enough but just think a permanent sale may see us losing out at this stage.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #597: Jul 09, 2013 07:31:57 am
      I agree with the latest posts. I think he has some great potential in him and we'll certainly regret letting him go in a few years.

Quick Reply