Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Sebastian Coates Player Thread (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 115544 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Sebastian Coates Player Thread
      Reply #621: May 12, 2014 06:53:46 pm
      There is a similar precedent that has been set and that was with Paletta who was with us in 2006. He came in and struggled to adapt to the English game (his performance in the 6-3 league cup loss to Arsenal in January 2007 was appalling - was scared of heading the ball) and was soon sent packing by Rafa. He came in as an Argentine under 20 but after his unsuccessful spell here he went back to Argentina and did well for Boca Juniors before signing for Parma. Incredibly he's now an Italian international having made his debut for the Azzuri earlier this year.

On this occasion I think Coates is obviously more talented than Paletta and showed his worth in a handful of games particularly in our league cup run. He also played brilliantly in Brendan's second PL match in charge in the 2-2 draw with City back in August 2012. However I think his chances of ever playing for Liverpool again are very slim but he can still go on to become an excellent top class defender in Europe.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #622: May 13, 2014 08:03:52 pm
      I agree. He started off slowly but so did Henderson. This season was the first season without Carragher and I feel it was his chance to break into our team. It's a shame he got injured and I generally feel bad for him as he is missing the world cup. I'd   like to give him longer in our squad. We still need a new CB. I'm not convinced by Skrtel this season.  I like Sakho. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Coates broke into our side alongside Sakho in the future.

He was in fact reserved for the WC by the coach. But I agree, he deserved a decent run of games, and if then its evident he is not good enough so be it. But considering to how our back 4 played last season he could have helped a lot
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #623: May 13, 2014 10:27:56 pm
      He was in fact reserved for the WC by the coach. But I agree, he deserved a decent run of games, and if then its evident he is not good enough so be it. But considering to how our back 4 played last season he could have helped a lot

He has indeed been reserved. Bit of a shock really. I bet he wasn't expecting it. Look's likely that Uruguay are going to be the Liverpool side of the WC.

Due to Seb's inclusion he's rather unfairly been compared to Cleverley for some reason. Can't see as to why personally...at least there are signs of potential with Coates. Just need more of that Scot ancestry to come out.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #624: May 14, 2014 06:43:11 pm
      I liked a lot of what I saw of him (except the game at Oldham, where he was shocking), hoping there's another chance for him just like there was for Flanagan. Henderson, Allen, sterling, none of whom started well under rodgers but have come on with his encouragement and coaching.

I've always seen Coates as having similar attributes to Agger and if Agger leaves, which could well happen, why not hang on to Coates - will cost nothing to do so- as opposed to spending millions on another  player as replacement who may be no better.

Not sure what the preseason fixture list is like, but it would be great for him to get a couple of games in there to see where he really fits in the pecking order.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #625: May 15, 2014 12:11:36 am
      I liked a lot of what I saw of him (except the game at Oldham, where he was shocking), hoping there's another chance for him just like there was for Flanagan. Henderson, Allen, sterling, none of whom started well under rodgers but have come on with his encouragement and coaching.

I've always seen Coates as having similar attributes to Agger and if Agger leaves, which could well happen, why not hang on to Coates - will cost nothing to do so- as opposed to spending millions on another  player as replacement who may be no better.

Not sure what the preseason fixture list is like, but it would be great for him to get a couple of games in there to see where he really fits in the pecking order.

Agree mate.

Still think he needs to be given a shot here.

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #626: Jul 28, 2014 12:52:42 am
      Would like to give a little shout out for the forgotten man of our centre backs. I can't speak for the hour against Roma as I missed the game however, in the half hour against PNE and the game against Olympiakos he's far from disgraced himself.

He's far from the finished article but I'd hate to see him moved at this stage of his career, I believe in a couple of years he will blossom into a superb central defender.

With the Lovren signing he has however gone further down the pecking order, I just hope if he's shipped out it's on a loan that will aid in his progression.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #627: Jul 28, 2014 07:32:08 am
      Thought he actually looked quite good against Olympiakos.  Dare I say he even looks a bit quicker than he used to do?

Probably won't be in the first team this season but I don't think we should get rid just yet.  Send him out on loan to someone in the league who will guarantee that he'll get at least 20 games.  The experience will be good for him.

Even if he does go, I'll never forget that over-the-header he scored at QPR a few years back.

One of the best goals I've ever seen from a CB.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #628: Jul 28, 2014 09:10:45 am
      Thought he actually looked quite good against Olympiakos.  Dare I say he even looks a bit quicker than he used to do?

Probably won't be in the first team this season but I don't think we should get rid just yet.  Send him out on loan to someone in the league who will guarantee that he'll get at least 20 games.  The experience will be good for him.

Even if he does go, I'll never forget that over-the-header he scored at QPR a few years back.

One of the best goals I've ever seen from a CB.
      That was a great goal, make more so because it was so unexpected from a centre half.

A season on loan at a Crystal Palace/ Villa/ Hull type team would be a good marker for his future I think.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #629: Jul 28, 2014 09:43:59 am
      Looked quality last game and this one, so glad we didn't destroy this players life just by virtue of him playing for us and in fact we should keep him now ... if he doesn't want to go that is.
      He came back a better man.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #630: Jul 28, 2014 09:52:54 am
      A season on loan at a Crystal Palace/ Villa/ Hull type team would be a good marker for his future I think.

I totally agree. If we loan him out we should definetly be looking at Prem teams, for Prem experience if nothing else.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #631: Jul 28, 2014 09:59:13 am
       He was good yesterday , I think he is better than present toure,  and much younger too I see kolo panicking every time he is with the ball
      He  (Coates) looks faster and more reactive  than before he was injured
        who knows maybe the manager is taking a second look at him
        we will see

YNWA
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #632: Jul 28, 2014 10:01:04 am
      He was good yesterday , I think he is better than present toure,  and much younger too I see kolo panicking every time he is with the ball
      He  (Coates) looks faster and more reactive  than before he was injured
        who knows maybe the manager is taking a second look at him
        we will see

YNWA

Would rather Sebastian got a decent crack this season than to see Kolo persevered with tbh. Am presuming either he or Illori will go out on loan but not both??
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #633: Jul 28, 2014 12:35:43 pm
      Out of all our loanees, I think he has come back the most improved.
      Still only 23, I think it would be a mistake to let this lad go.
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #634: Jul 28, 2014 06:57:08 pm
      Maybe we should loan him to Southampton. That would help them out and we wouldn't have to buy another CB from them next year. :lmao:

I think he has looked pretty good so far this pre-season. I hope he gets a chance here.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #635: Jul 28, 2014 10:21:00 pm
      I have also been quietly impressed with Coates during this pre-season and given our defensive struggles last season I would not be displeased to see the big man given a few more opportunities to prove he belongs over the next few weeks.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #636: Jul 28, 2014 11:03:42 pm
      I have also been quietly impressed with Coates during this pre-season and given our defensive struggles last season I would not be displeased to see the big man given a few more opportunities to prove he belongs over the next few weeks.

Got to agree mate and already he looks a better bet than Toure or either Wisdom or Kelly at centre half.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #637: Jul 28, 2014 11:21:14 pm

My dad quietly piped up with similar last night watching the match and tbh looked more in control in the defence than Toure did when he replaced him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #638: Jul 28, 2014 11:31:19 pm
      Am I missing something? Sure he looked okay when he came on but it was hardly a standout performance IMO and there was one moment in the second half when Allen gave the ball away and they broke at us and Coates went for the challenge which if I remember rightly, he missed and was lucky not to  bring down the player because if he did then it would have been a straight red, at least in a non-friendly you'd expect it to be.

Still a lot of question marks over him and a half decent showing against a weaker team like Olympiakos in a friendly isn't enough for me to be convinced by him.

Don't get me wrong, this is just my take on things, not by any means slating your opinions of him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #639: Jul 28, 2014 11:57:27 pm
      Am I missing something? Sure he looked okay when he came on but it was hardly a standout performance IMO and there was one moment in the second half when Allen gave the ball away and they broke at us and Coates went for the challenge which if I remember rightly, he missed and was lucky not to  bring down the player because if he did then it would have been a straight red, at least in a non-friendly you'd expect it to be.

Still a lot of question marks over him and a half decent showing against a weaker team like Olympiakos in a friendly isn't enough for me to be convinced by him.

Don't get me wrong, this is just my take on things, not by any means slating your opinions of him.

I was just saying he was alright, suppose I didn't finish the story by saying me and my brother laughed our heads off at him, but he's another one who's still relatively young.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #640: Jul 29, 2014 12:04:41 am

Always liked him Scott, was very excited to see him coming in when he'd just won young player of the tournament with Uruguay. Has so many attributes you'd want in a CB but just hasn't been given a chance in the starting line-up. Seemed to shoulder a lot of the blame for our poor performance against Oldham was it?

Makes you wonder just how bad he must look in training when we're shipping goals in all over the place and looking like we don't have a clue at set-pieces why he can't get a game. Granted he had injury trouble too but his development for that past couple of years has been awful and I just can't see a reason why Brendan would suddenly find faith in the lad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #641: Jul 29, 2014 01:08:03 am
      He let Totti ghost in for that effort in the other match where Totti kneed it wide. Completely lost his man in the box.

But on the ball he looks good. Brave with it and can bring it out of defence.

Hopefully we can get him to Southampton or similar team who looks to play our way on loan. Have a back four of Illori, Agger, Sakho and Skrtel for this season and hopefully he comes back improved next season.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #642: Jul 29, 2014 01:09:24 am
      Have a back four of Illori, Agger, Sakho and Skrtel for this season and hopefully he comes back improved next season.
      Lovren???

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #643: Jul 29, 2014 01:16:06 am
      Haha I meant Lovren, not Illori! Was in his player thread so had his name on my mind.

Quick Reply