Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sebastian Coates Player Thread (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 114649 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Sebastien Coates Player Thread
      Reply #46: Aug 31, 2011 12:56:25 am
      Welcome to LFC lad!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #47: Aug 31, 2011 01:12:25 am
      I just hope Sebastian doesn't get in any trouble with the King. 

i think my little sis made me watch this far too often.
      Yeah, right, it was your sister making you do it...  :f_whistle:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #48: Aug 31, 2011 01:14:17 am
      Yeah, right, it was your sister making you do it...  :f_whistle:

Damn my secrets out.  

'Tis my favorite Disney film.   ;D
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #49: Aug 31, 2011 01:48:17 am
      Can't say I've seen him play but none the less am very excited from the good words being spoke about him. Sadly though it could be the end of carragher playing every week.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #50: Aug 31, 2011 01:53:19 am
      Sadly though it could be the end of carragher playing every week.
      It comes to all players eventually. It'll only be sad in my eyes if he finishes his career without a league winners medal. Maybe he can get that this year then step aside.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #51: Aug 31, 2011 02:17:36 am
      Have not really seen him play, but i am encouraged by the god words people have to say about him. In saying that, i do not expect him to first 11 anytime soon. Just my opinion.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #52: Aug 31, 2011 02:47:29 am
      Welcome to the best club in the world Sebastian.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #53: Aug 31, 2011 02:49:06 am
      Have really good feeling about this lad, think he'll take the PL by storm.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #54: Aug 31, 2011 03:20:03 am
      Welcome to LFC Sebastien.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #55: Aug 31, 2011 05:00:06 am

Welcome to Anfield, Seb.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #56: Aug 31, 2011 05:34:54 am
      too early to call him the next Sami? :D
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #57: Aug 31, 2011 05:46:01 am
      That's Coates hooked, who is next?

Welcome to the red side of Merseyside, home of two of most greatest clubs in England, Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.
      Never worry of not getting the affection because here, we got tons of affections!

Liverpool and you will make a great couple. You'll achieve greatness, admiration, respect and the love from all reds fans across the world.

Truly hope that you'll shine!
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #58: Aug 31, 2011 05:46:42 am
      Hope its Sami reincarnated.
      Welcome to the family Seb!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #59: Aug 31, 2011 05:53:37 am
      I hope Poulsen's incarcerated
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #60: Aug 31, 2011 06:41:42 am
      Welcome to LFC!  I only saw him play in the final and looked decent but I wont judge him by one game.

YNWA, (thanks Suarez for this signing ;) , that even means that Suarez will be here for a long time).

South Americans will provide good chemistry to our team.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #61: Aug 31, 2011 06:43:42 am
      Welcome to the club Seb!

I had a chance to watch this kid play during the Copa America for Uruaguay with Suarez and all I can say is this kid is class. While the national team plays a very different scheme with more cover in the back and less pressure on the center backs, he was brilliant when called upon. Obviously with his height is a monster in the air and for his size he moves extremely well. (maybe could show Andy how to run a bit more gracefully ;)) I don't want to put a whole lot of pressure on him because he is young and the English game is indeed very different from the South American game but if he can meet Comolli's expectations for him, this kid will be the second coming of Sami and then some.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #62: Aug 31, 2011 08:06:01 am
      Our new number 16 :)
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #63: Aug 31, 2011 08:15:36 am
      Welcome aboard Seb.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #64: Aug 31, 2011 08:42:34 am

Premier League will test talented Coates

Tim Vickery
      Monday, 29 August 2011

On the verge of joining Liverpool, Uruguay centre back Sebastian Coates was last seen on the pitch in Buenos Aires celebrating victory in the Copa America, and then accepting an award for the best young player of the tournament.

These are impressive credentials for a player who is not 21 until October.

Coates is shaping up as a potential future captain of his country but, assuming the deal goes through, the challenge he now faces at club level is very different, and is surely going to stretch the youngster with the gangling frame.

Tournament football is played to its own rhythm - look at Paraguay, beaten convincingly by Coates and his Uruguay team-mates in the final. They reached the decider without winning a single game.

In a competition where eight of the 12 teams make it through to the knock-out stage, the emphasis is on not being beaten. The 2011 Copa was a counter-attacking tournament, and part of Uruguay's success was that they read it so well.

In every game they played in last year's World Cup Uruguay had less possession than their opponents but more shots. During the Copa they made sure they pulled back still deeper, swapping striker Edinson Cavani for yet another hard working midfielder.

It was, then, a good tournament for a young centre-back to find his international feet.

Coates could defend deep, with Diego Perez and Egidio Arevalo Rios snapping into tackles in front of him - and the magnificent Diego Forlan-Luis Suarez partnership to win the game at the other end.

Coates is now about to team up with Suarez once more, but this time the circumstances are very different. Liverpool's quest is to win enough games to get into the top four, or even mount a title challenge.

It means that, if called upon, Coates will be asked to defend much higher up the field, with much less protection in front of him, in a context where everything is happening much more quickly than anything he has ever been used to in his young career.

It is a step up that proved far too big for a South American centre-back previously signed by Liverpool - Gabriel Paletta, who came to Anfield soon after helping Argentina win the 2005 World Youth Cup.

Paletta has gone on to prove himself in European football, coming back from a serious knee injury to enjoy a solid debut season in Italy with Parma. He is a strong, rugged defender - had he waited until now for a move to Liverpool he might have done better.

But as I argued in this space five years ago, swapping Banfield in the Argentine league for Liverpool in 2006 was dangerously premature.

In comparison, Coates would seem more prepared for the new demands he is about to face. Despite his age he has accumulated some interesting senior experience, as well as making his way through Uruguay's excellent youth ranks.

It was after shining for his country at Under-20 level at the start of 2009 that Coates was thrown into the deep end with Nacional, one of Uruguay's big two.

He made an immediate impression, and was a fixture in the side that year that became the first Uruguayan club in two decades to reach the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores.

Come the vital second leg at home to Estudiantes of Argentina, Coates made the crucial mistake, gifting an away goal after being caught in possession.

It was an unfortunate error, but also a great learning experience. There are no short cuts for young defenders. Mistakes are going to be made. In this case, Coates did not let it affect his momentum.

He has performed solidly through the club's two subsequent Libertadores campaigns, having responsibility thrust upon him and, without being a shouter, showing good leadership potential, organising things around him, keeping things simple and using his height to be a dominant figure in both penalty areas. He is much further down the road than Paletta was five years ago.

For all that, the step up he is taking is still a big one. For evidence, he need only look to the wildly differing fates in English football of his team-mates in the Uruguay attack.

Diego Forlan is a truly magnificent footballer - intelligent, audacious, unselfish, technically excellent. He could even speak good English when he crossed the Atlantic to join Manchester United.

But straight from Independiente in Argentina with no senior international experience, it was too much, too soon. At Old Trafford he could never get a regular run of games and he lost momentum and confidence - before going off to Spain and proving himself a truly world class player.

Suarez, on the other hand, arrived in the Premier League that vital few years later, having bedded in with Ajax and shown what he could do in a World Cup. He has lit up Liverpool from day one.

The one undoubted plus point about Sebastian Coates joining Liverpool now is that he will only have to face Suarez in training games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/08/premier_league_will_test_talen.html
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #65: Aug 31, 2011 08:51:45 am
      One small thing, think his name is spelt wrong in the thread title Sebastien ---> Sebastian
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #66: Aug 31, 2011 09:04:33 am
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #67: Aug 31, 2011 09:11:27 am
      Great news, welcome aboard fella.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #68: Aug 31, 2011 10:01:23 am
      Welcome to your new home Seb. Hope you have an outstanding career at LFC and by the time you finish, your trophy cabiney is bulging.  :champ:

Quick Reply