Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sebastian Coates Player Thread (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 114633 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Sebastian Coates Player Thread
      Reply #690: May 22, 2015 08:19:08 pm
      Like Coates.
      Been impressed by him over the last few weeks with Sunderland and also in each of his preseasons he has had with us but each time he either gets injured or is loaned out
      How long is left on his contract?
      Would like to see us play just the two CB next season (no more back 3 for me) and have the options of seb, Skrtel, Sakho and illori.
      Lovren has to be settled by next season and surely must prove.
      Time for toure to be moved on.
      Has he been given that supposed contract extension yet?

With 3 at the back that is the only time we have looked solid at the back. A back 4 under a Rodgers team is just a disaster defensively, especially as he doesn't really like playing with a DM.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #691: May 23, 2015 07:56:10 am
      sell him, im glad he is doing well for Sunderland....now take advantage of this and get a couple of bob for him.

He has been here for what seems like a lifetime and has been pretty poor -scrap that, absolute sh*te when he has had a lfc shirt on

Very true. While the iron's hot and all that.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #692: May 23, 2015 08:38:50 am
      I still think the kid has potential - wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance now he's had some seasoning. Certainly a favourable option to Lovren for me.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #693: May 23, 2015 08:47:28 am
      I still think the kid has potential - wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance now he's had some seasoning. Certainly a favourable option to Lovren for me.

I cannot understand what has gone wrong with this lad, when he signed for us he had so much potential and at the time I would of put my last penny on him being a success at Anfield.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #694: May 23, 2015 09:02:15 am
      I cannot understand what has gone wrong with this lad, when he signed for us he had so much potential and at the time I would of put my last penny on him being a success at Anfield.

What went was he had one sh*t game in the cup against oldham i think it was(same as skertle)and big brave Bren lumped the blame on him. Frozen out then loaned. Pre BR showed great talent. By the way im not not anti BR but there have been too many scapegoats  used by him.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015 05:29:44 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Fixed quote »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #695: May 23, 2015 09:31:32 am
      I remember watching Coates play for Uruguay in Canada in a under 21 international tournament and he was the standout player for Uruguay. So much talent  gone to waste.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #696: May 23, 2015 12:50:22 pm
      Well lets be honest we have some world class CB's so we dont need anymore do we?.
      It reflects poorly on the management of the club that he has been stuck on loan at Sunderland rather than being kept at Anfield or sold
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #697: May 23, 2015 12:55:24 pm
      Certainly don't think it reflects poorly on the management, if anything, it's a positive.  Young player with limited chance, as things stood at the beginning of the season, for first team action, goes on loan.  Put himself in the shop window and got valuable experience.  From his latter performances, after the manager change at Sunderland, he may have even got Rodgers attention or raised his value by a shekel or two.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #698: May 23, 2015 12:59:25 pm
      Certainly don't think it reflects poorly on the management, if anything, it's a positive.  Young player with limited chance, as things stood at the beginning of the season, for first team action, goes on loan.  Put himself in the shop window and got valuable experience.  From his latter performances, after the manager change at Sunderland, he may have even got Rodgers attention or raised his value by a shekel or two.

its very poor management to put him out on loan and then pay over £20mil for Lovren.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #699: May 23, 2015 01:59:29 pm
      its very poor management to put him out on loan and then pay over £20mil for Lovren.

No, that's a poor purchase, the way Lovren was handled, considering his form, was poor management,  but once we had purchased Lovren, Coates was managed well.  And, excluding your admittedly fine 20/20 hindsight vision of course, Lovren should have outperformed Coates this season.  Coates was behind three defenders without Lovren, some had him behind Wisdom as well.  Coates was managed very well and, despite a couple of good games towards the end of the season, we did well by him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #700: May 23, 2015 03:42:31 pm
      No, that's a poor purchase, the way Lovren was handled, considering his form, was poor management,  but once we had purchased Lovren, Coates was managed well.  And, excluding your admittedly fine 20/20 hindsight vision of course, Lovren should have outperformed Coates this season.  Coates was behind three defenders without Lovren, some had him behind Wisdom as well.  Coates was managed very well and, despite a couple of good games towards the end of the season, we did well by him.

coates only crime is that Kenny signed him and he was never given a chance under Brendan he wants his own players do we need to go through a list of good players he has let go .
      If Brendan does go do you still think Coates will be sold?. I dont think we have outstanding CB's not that outstanding that Coates couldn't get into the team.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #701: May 23, 2015 03:57:51 pm
      coates only crime is that Kenny signed him and he was never given a chance under Brendan he wants his own players do we need to go through a list of good players he has let go .
      If Brendan does go do you still think Coates will be sold?. I dont think we have outstanding CB's not that outstanding that Coates couldn't get into the team.

Absolute horseshit, he wasn't ready to be cover for us and, at best, had been inconsistent, anything else is either revisionist nonsense or an agenda.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #702: May 23, 2015 04:22:14 pm
      Absolute horseshit, he wasn't ready to be cover for us and, at best, had been inconsistent, anything else is either revisionist nonsense or an agenda.

anyone who disagrees with you always has to have an agenda.Anyone who thinks we have adequate cover at CB is definitely smoking something.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #703: May 23, 2015 04:46:31 pm
      anyone who disagrees with you always has to have an agenda.Anyone who thinks we have adequate cover at CB is definitely smoking something.

There was more than one option  Mr Magoo and at the start of the season,  Lovren, Sakho, Skrtel & Touré.  All ahead of Coates at the start of the season.  No matter what your 20/20 hindsight tells you now.

It's not different opinions I have an issue with, it's unadulterated bollocks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #704: May 23, 2015 06:16:48 pm
      There was more than one option  Mr Magoo and at the start of the season,  Lovren, Sakho, Skrtel & Touré.  All ahead of Coates at the start of the season.  No matter what your 20/20 hindsight tells you now.

It's not different opinions I have an issue with, it's unadulterated bollocks.

yeah yeah now sunderland have conceded 50 goals our team 42 but Sunderland did concede 8 to Southampton so how the F**k is our CB's any better than a lad who plays in a poor team but with similar defensive figures. He wasn't one of Brendan's signings was he so he was never going to get a chance thats the truth and you simply dont want to admit it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #705: May 23, 2015 08:56:38 pm
      Yeah, yeah. Now Sunderland have conceded 50 goals, our team 42, but Sunderland did concede 8 to Southampton.  So how the F**k are our CB's any better than a lad, who plays in a poor team, but with similar defensive figures. He wasn't one of Brendan's signings was he?  So he was never going to get a chance, that's the truth and you simply don't want to admit it.

No, the plain truth is, at the beginning of the season, he was 5th, maybe even 6th choice.  He's not even played a quarter of Sunderland's games, but your indomitable 20/20 hindsight deigns he would have garnered a first team place here, something he has struggled to do with the relegation threatened Black Cats.  OK then, I bow to your superior wisdom.  I'll leave it up to you to decide if I included sarcasm and a touch of snark in that previous statement.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #706: May 23, 2015 11:02:27 pm
      sell him, im glad he is doing well for Sunderland....now take advantage of this and get a couple of bob for him.

He has been here for what seems like a lifetime and has been pretty poor -scrap that, absolute sh*te when he has had a lfc shirt on

I hardly think 12 apppearences for us is enough to judge him on.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #707: May 23, 2015 11:05:01 pm
      I hardly think 12 apppearences for us is enough to judge him on.

I think you were in the same boat as me with this lad Si, correct me if I'm wrong.

Always wanted him to get more game time, thought he could be a real quality player if given enough. Still remember the first goal he scored for us, doubt there will ever be a better first goal, absolutely stunning.

Thought he carried the ball well, read the game decently and with the right coaching could have been absolutely dominant in the air.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #708: May 23, 2015 11:06:50 pm
      I think you were in the same boat as me with this lad Si, correct me if I'm wrong.

Always wanted him to get more game time, thought he could be a real quality player if given enough. Still remember the first goal he scored for us, doubt there will ever be a better first goal, absolutely stunning.

Thought he carried the ball well, read the game decently and with the right coaching could have been absolutely dominant in the air.

I was mate for the most part. I know he had a few dodgy appearances but I always did like the look of him and think he maybe has been overlooked a little.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #709: May 24, 2015 08:21:23 am
      He looked very, very good in pre-season.  I suggested he should be given a chance even back then---if you play well in pre-season and still don't get a chance, then what the hell is pre-season even for? 

Not to say he's going to be a world-beater or anything.  But surely if you play well when you go out on the pitch, you should be given the chance to prove yourself in real games.

couldn't have been any worse than Lovren this season.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #710: May 24, 2015 09:36:44 am
      I was mate for the most part. I know he had a few dodgy appearances but I always did like the look of him and think he maybe has been overlooked a little.

Wasn't one of the games he struggled with though when he got slotted in at full back after Johnson got injured.......or am I mis-remembering?

Always just struck me that he got "lumped" into that "disasterous window" Kenny had in summer of 2011......you know the one that preceded our last trophy and 3 trips to Anfield South........ :roll:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #711: May 24, 2015 12:09:18 pm
      He should be given an opportunity to claim a place in our back line,I just felt the purge all of Kenny's buys we're unnecessary.

Coates has plenty to offer us.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #712: May 24, 2015 12:48:25 pm
      Borini goes out on loan last season to the mackems and is instumental in saving their bacon , Coates the same this season . What's going on here is their no motivation going on at Melwood ?

Quick Reply