Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Summer Transfer Window 2011 - how was it for you?

Read 14636 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: Summer Transfer Window 2011 - how was it for you?
      Reply #161: Sep 01, 2011 04:14:52 pm
      Very happy with the job KK and DC made this window, great signings for the immadiate and for the future

disappointed but not surprised with raul's exit as i expected it  when the chavs got involved , I'm pretty sure they tapped him like they did Ft and other  players of other clubs
       One day a player say he is happy , the next he wants out , incredible, for sure somthing happened in between , anyway we will cope without him , only hope we will stuff them like we did  a few days after the "other " handed his transfer request to go to the plastic flags

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #162: Sep 01, 2011 04:15:30 pm
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/summer-2011-our-magnificent-7

A reminder of who we have brought in this summer.
      Fine additions everyone.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #163: Sep 01, 2011 04:26:52 pm
      Debts were killing the club. Nothing wrong with cutting the wages on the sh*te.
      Its the fact WE HAVENT MADE A NET SPEND after saving that money.
      DUH!!

We're gambling with our Champs Lge prospects by not spending the huge TV,mer
      chandising and gate money that comes in every year.

I think u must be a baseball fan or something. Because you know bugger all about football finance. Another delusional... Sad really.
      If you're comments are aimed at me (a quote normally helps) then I'll ask you again, do you think our current squad is not good enough too get us in to the champions league (now I'm not getting carried away here, don't think for one minute I'd expect you to think we have a Premier league wining side on the money we've spent (I'm not that Nieve!))?
      I'm English and can't stand ROUNDERS(baseball) or Amercan Football, I know F**k all about football finance so we'rer both agreed on that !
      As for being dilusional I beg to differ, my only focus in footballing circles is LFC I don't give a hoot about any other club, our club in the last 12 months has undergone a fantastic transformation putting all issues of spending aside, give the side a season before pulling them to bits as a side that needs more money spending on it !
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #164: Sep 01, 2011 04:33:00 pm
      If you're comments are aimed at me (a quote normally helps) then I'll ask you again...

Wouldn't bother, mate, he's banned  :D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #165: Sep 01, 2011 04:36:00 pm
      Unlucky 13th post did it then I see !
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #166: Sep 01, 2011 04:36:07 pm
      Extremely pleased with our signings and players that have gone out too. Deadwood has gone out, quality signings in completing a very competitive squad.

Unbelievable transformation from this time last year. We now have the backing from our owners, an amazing manager and coaching staff, and ofcourse, Damien Comolli also deserves a lot of credit. With our current squad, I believe we'll easily get back into that top 4, and maybe even better. If we get into the Champions League this season, maybe in the Summer Transfer Window 2012 thread we will be talking about signing those top top players. Onwards and upwards from here on.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #167: Sep 01, 2011 04:50:49 pm
      Wouldn't bother, mate, he's banned  :D
      He did remind me of an apparent mole on here who was banned and blagged his way back during the H&G nightmare, very reminiscent. There would of course be no practical reason for the return of the gobs***e but the modus operandi is very similar, his literary skills seem questionable but if you take away the text speak perfectly acceptable.
      As the man said tho he's been fu**ed off back to redcafe land to play with other fuckwits over there.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #168: Sep 01, 2011 05:02:26 pm

I'm sorry but this made me laugh  :lmao:
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #169: Sep 01, 2011 05:55:00 pm
      Supershanks is gone because he was a late signing and FIFA did not approve.

Great business over the summer.  Gerard must be coming back, with Miereles and Aqua gone. Also some room for youth to come through. I'd like Raheem to get game time.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #170: Sep 01, 2011 08:13:14 pm
      I'm sorry but this made me laugh  :lmao:

Glad to give you a giggle Bairn! It's my age you see not really down with
      the abbreviations took me about 2 months to work out what IMO meant!
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #171: Sep 01, 2011 08:20:48 pm
      Don't think it could have gone much better. We sold all our deadwood, and we strengthen in every position. We have a quality first team along with quality from the bench and impressive youngsters while lowering the wage bill and lowering the average squad age.  

Also I don't see a weak leak in our side, there's not a player in our squad who I can think of within our team, that if he plays I'll think "oh god, no".

Only disappointment was Meireles leaving. Was a very useful squad and versatile player who will be missed at times this season.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #172: Sep 01, 2011 08:33:11 pm
      I'd give it a rating of 7 out of 10.  We did strengthen overall and we have flogged off most of the deadwood which will help lighten the wage bill and allow for more recruitment in January and next summer.  We even managed to get an almost perfect scenario by sending Joe Cole to Lille for a season on loan.  If he finds his form and has a breakout season, we will be able to either bring him back into the fold, or sell him on for a decent fee.  If he struggles, then we will find ourselves in no worse a situation as we were in with him this summer.  

Here is my prognosis of our business:

Sotis to Coates = major upgrade! 10/10
      Insua to Enrique = major upgrade! 10/10
      Aquilani to Adam = slight downgrade in my opinion 5/10
      Meireles to Henderson = slight downgrade initially, but has longterm potential for greatness 8/10
      Jovanovic to Downing = major upgrade!  10/10
      Ngog to Bellamy = good upgrade 7/10
      * Doni - Hopefully he never sees the field in any important matches!

Overall, we have done well.  Could have hoped for another winger, or another marquee striker, but can't really complain at the end of the day.  I think we will be favorites to get back into the top 4 for next season ahead of Arsenal and Spuds, and will hopefully bring in a couple of exciting players next summer.  We have a good, young squad now, but we still need a couple more world class players if we are going to become the elite team in England and Europe again.  
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #173: Sep 01, 2011 08:52:57 pm
      Nice to get back to how the squads improved rather than what the gross/net/wages in/wages out spend has been.

After Kenny took over we performed considerably better than under Woy.  Simply extending Kenny's results over the season would have seen us end up third in the premiership.

In this transfer window we have considerably improved the squad - good players in and deadwood out - so I think we can anticipate a much better season.  Add to this Spurs and Arsenals current spiral downwards and I am very optimistic about us getting back into the Champions League.

It's not what you spend but how well you spend.  I think we have spent well.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #174: Sep 01, 2011 10:28:06 pm
      I think we have done a very good job in this window, we strengthened areas we needed to strengthen by buying a winger, a center back and a left back. We also added a lot of balance to our side and shifted a lot of deadwood freeing up some wages, which will eventually be a pro in the coming transfer window. This is just the beginning, just wait and see next summer when we qualify for CL :)
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #175: Sep 01, 2011 10:29:56 pm
      where are people getting 2.7m from?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #176: Sep 01, 2011 10:34:59 pm
      Does it really matter what the net spend is? The squad has been transformed, one of the most important things was getting people off the wage bill that didn't deserve the high wages and bringing in top quality players that didn't have a huge ego and that were willing to fight to win and we have done all of that. If it has been done by having a low net spend (if it is low) then it shows FSG and Comolli have done a much more efficient job than most people think.

I'd much rather have a team that play together well than a bunch of ego money grabbers that are going to cry when they sit on the bench for a game.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #177: Sep 01, 2011 10:42:28 pm
      i'm confused, because people were saying that we overpaid and now saying we didnt spend enough...
      clack374
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #178: Sep 01, 2011 10:42:44 pm
      all good apart from merieles going 1 top player  :-[
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #179: Sep 01, 2011 10:57:43 pm
      i'm confused, because people were saying that we overpaid and now saying we didnt spend enough...
      You've been on here for nearly 8 months, you must be used to it by now  :D
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #180: Sep 01, 2011 11:18:28 pm

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish completes a summer of bloodletting at Anfield with a leaner meaner squad

By Rory Smith
      01 Sep 2011

At the last, Liverpool's bloodletting was complete. This has been a summer of revolution at Anfield, a great leap forward of unprecedented proportions.

Kenny Dalglish and Damien Comolli, at the behest of the club's owners, have ushered 19 players out of Liverpool's doors. The final two, Raul Meireles and Philipp Degen, departed with just minutes of the transfer window to spare. The past is finished. Let the future begin.

Fourteen players have been sold or released, and a further five dismissed temporarily, on loan, most notably Joe Cole and Alberto Aquilani.

An astounding £30 million has been wiped from the wage chitty, and a little over £20 million raised in funds.

The phrase "trimming of the squad" does not quite fit; this has been all-out attack on the errors of the past. Only Brad Jones and Danny Wilson remain of Roy Hodgson's signings, and only three of the 14 signed by Rafael Benítez in his final two years at the club. Less than a year after the putsch which brought Fenway Sports Group to Anfield, Liverpool have undergone a second Night of the Long Knives. This one, though, has lasted all summer.

Some were rather more willing than others to stand aside. Paul Konchesky accepted a wage cut to join Leicester. Nabil El Zhar, Emiliano Insua, Milan Jovanovic and, eventually, Degen agreed to cancel their contracts, albeit for lucrative settlements.

Liverpool will continue to pay for the mistakes that have gone before. Lille insist Liverpool will continue to supply 60 per cent of Cole's £80,000-a-week wages, meaning Anfield's finances will be drained to the tune of £2.5 million for a season in which the 29 year-old plays in France.

Christian Poulsen’s move to Evian has been subsidised, too, but that is rather the point: FSG see their glass as half-full, not half-empty. At least the £2.5 million paid to Cole while he is in France is a saving of £1.65 million. That is the ruthlessness that has pervaded Liverpool’s summer.

FSG were determined to build a more cost-effective squad, and were prepared to withstand the short-term financial cost to do so. Hence their decision to spend big and spend early, regardless of the knock-on effects later in the summer.

"The owners were happy to take risks and happy for us to spend money," reflected Comolli. "A lot of owners would have said the squad is too big, so you need to reduce, and then when you have done that, bring some players in, but that was never the approach. I told them we would need to buy first and they were very, very brave to accept that."

Nowhere was that cut-throat approach better witnessed than with Meireles. The Portuguese was not desperate to leave Anfield, but was left with no choice after seeing Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam recruited in midfield and a promise to augment his £35,000-a-week wage, should his first season be a success, broken.

Discussions over a pay rise never started. In the end, he had to hand in a transfer request and forego a loyalty payment to smooth his escape to Chelsea.

Few Liverpool fans would have sold Meireles, particularly not to a bitter foe and especially not for £12 million, roughly what Hodgson paid for the Portugal international last summer. That is the measure of the new Liverpool, though. Those who are not required will be cast aside. Dalglish wants only those soldiers he deems necessary; a bloated squadron is a cumbersome one.

"For me, the players they have signed have largely been British, which takes me back to when I started watching Liverpool," said Craig Bellamy, the final piece of incoming business carried out by Dalglish. "It looks so familiar to me, so to be part of it is such a huge honour."

Dalglish has built the squad he wanted: young, energetic, mostly home-grown, and with a passion for the club – but it fits FSG's vision, too. The squad is streamlined – 22 senior players, supported by youth – with this summer's six signings, Bellamy apart, earning a combined, and relatively modest, £13 million-a-season in wages.

That is a saving of £17 million-a-season. FSG are no asset-strippers, though. They have spent £114 million on players in eight months, plus wages, with £75 million regained in transfer fees. This is not a rerun of Liverpool's recent past. This is the start of the future.

Key Anfield departures: Raul Meireles (Chelsea) £12m, David Ngog (Bolton Wanderers) £4m, Paul Konchesky (Leicester City) £1.5m, Daniel Ayala (Norwich City) £800,000, Gerardo Bruna (Blackpool) £750,000,Joe Cole (Lille) loan, Emiliano Insua (Sporting Lisbon) undisclosed, Chris Mavinga (Rennes) undisclosed, Sotirios Kyrgiakos (Wolfsburg) undisclosed, Christian Poulsen (Evian) undisclosed, Alberto Aquilani (AC Milan) undisclosed, Milan Jovanovic (Anderlecht) undisclosed, Tom Ince (Blackpool) undisclosed, Nabil El Zhar (Levante) undisclosed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8735693/Liverpool-manager-Kenny-Dalglish-completes-a-summer-of-bloodletting-at-Anfield-with-a-leaner-meaner-squad.html
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #181: Sep 01, 2011 11:19:26 pm
      Only KK could have gotten rid of 16 unwanted players in 2 months.

Onwards and upwards
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #182: Sep 02, 2011 12:04:44 am
      Kenny, with a poor squad, had us the second best results since January. Now he has his squad. Bring it F***ing on. Even the United fans know Fergie is afraid of only one manager. Were coming for you b***ard. There will be nowhere to hide. There will be no mercy
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #183: Sep 02, 2011 12:07:40 am
      Kenny, with a poor squad, had us the second best results since January. Now he has his squad. Bring it f**king on. Even the United fans know Fergie is afraid of only one manager. Were coming for you b***ard. There will be nowhere to hide. There will be no mercy

Racer has had a few tonight, though I soberly support the sentiment.

Quick Reply