Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Fagan charged by the FA

Read 1624 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Fagan charged by the FA
      Sep 04, 2007 05:02:36 pm
      Derby County's Craig Fagan has been charged with violent conduct in relation to an incident involving Liverpool's Alvaro Arbeloa.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/6978496.stm

It's good to see the FA are bringing up the conduct of some of the players that may have been missed by the ref in all the action. Haven't seen this done alot before, but it's something that will hopefully bring the cheats out and stop some of the more dirty, injury-inducing tackles.

Perhaps they'll also begin to charge for blatant diving.

One thing I would rather is that these players get match bans, not fines. Bans mean they can't play and can't cheat, whereas a fine is easily paid off by most footballers these days.

Anyone with thoughts on the FA's decision to charge Fagan, or what they think should be done about the cheating going on in football in relation to post-match evidence?

*edit* Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Kop or the general footie forum. It concerns liverpool through arbeloa, but I'm also asking for opinions on the general problem with cheating in the game today.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: Fagan charged by the FA
      Reply #1: Sep 04, 2007 05:35:45 pm
      Was this the incident in the penalty area just before our ?4th goal (Alonso goal).

Can't remember the incident.

I think in the modern age where TV cameras are everywhere then this approach is correct.  At the end of the day kids are watching these games and they shouldn't be taught that if the ref doesn't see it you've got away with it.

I'm all for it.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Sep 04, 2007 06:02:20 pm
      Nice to see the F.A. one the ball for once.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #3: Sep 04, 2007 06:51:14 pm
      No koolkidda - touchline centenary side by the halfway line, from my seat couldn't actually see what happened only later on TV did I see the nasty little stamp on the ankle.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #4: Sep 04, 2007 07:09:52 pm
      I hope Arbeloa is alright, he's now really important for the team. Gerrard had a broken toe when a Toulouse's player step in his foot but he endure It in about 20 minutes, but he had to sit out for 2 weeks. I wish Arbeloa will have no injury, and for Fagan, seve him right!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5: Sep 04, 2007 07:27:05 pm
      Yep he's fine rolled around for minute or two then got on with game
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #6: Sep 04, 2007 07:37:37 pm
      i agree with the ban and not the fine like you say most dont even know they have had a fine ban them once or twice the club itself would soon stop it another thing when a player is rolling round like an olympic gymnast you know there is nothing wrong with him the ones that dont move at all are the ones who are hurt
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #7: Sep 04, 2007 08:36:25 pm
      Yes I remember this one from the game nasty little bastad he is that fagan you could see it all over his face. In the slow motion reply of it I remember commenting to my Wife about how I thought that was deliberate. Justice should prevail in this hope he gets the ban.

IMHO players who are seen to do this kind of thing should be charged not only by the FA but also civily and should get fined with the proceeds going to a charity or grass roots football  instead of the fine being pumped back into the FA.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Sep 06, 2007 08:15:32 pm
      Banned for 4 games, 3 for the stomp and another 1 for pleading innocent! He can appeal against the 1 but not the 3.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #9: Sep 06, 2007 10:26:06 pm
      I was in the Lower Centenery Kop End and had a good view of the incident.  I was just pleased Arbeloa was OK.  He's becoming a really good player.  Haven't seen the replay but I am pleased the FA are on, and for a change have shown some, balls.

Mind you it's only Derby - what would have been the oucome if it had been Chelski or United?   

Quick Reply