Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Summer Transfer Window 2011 - how was it for you?

Read 14487 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Summer Transfer Window 2011 - how was it for you?
      Reply #207: Sep 03, 2011 06:06:15 am
      I am very happy with the way things have gone this summer, the only question I have is whether Meireles was sold to balance the books or not. Selling one of our better attacking players to one of our rivals to me does not make any sense financial or footballing at all and I far from see him as being surplus to requirements. That is why people are questioning our net spend, the whole transfer was very cloke and dagger and I have a sneaking suspicion that it was agreed days before and it was nothing more than a PR stunt by Liverpools owners to keep it from the fans and to balance the net spending. Hate me for being skeptical but after the sh*t we have been through over the last couple of years I think alot of fans are being very naive in singinf FSGs praise when there net spend in the first year was very similar to the last 2 clowns who ran the club. The might do things behind clothes doors, but that just means they have learned from the lat 2 muppets, I am just asking people to not get carried away. On a positive note I think DC done a great job this summer.

I agree Kenny, Comolli and FSG are perpetrating an epic swindle on all of us. Using cloak and dagger methods they are riding the team of it's best players in order to bring in lesser talent at lower costs. I am sure we have massive debt as this looks like a leveraged takeover muppet show like the last one, that's why quality players like Cole and Poulson have been shipped off in favor of a Downing and Enrique. No you are right my friend...Raul was the tipping point in all of this, not giving a pay raise to our best player and forcing him out by not allowing Kenny to play him showed FSG's true colors.

Great job in spotting all of this and bringing it to our attention. Best post of the year IMO  :f_whistle:

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #208: Sep 03, 2011 07:17:00 am
      I am very happy with the way things have gone this summer, the only question I have is whether Meireles was sold to balance the books or not. Selling one of our better attacking players to one of our rivals to me does not make any sense financial or footballing at all and I far from see him as being surplus to requirements. That is why people are questioning our net spend, the whole transfer was very cloke and dagger and I have a sneaking suspicion that it was agreed days before and it was nothing more than a PR stunt by Liverpools owners to keep it from the fans and to balance the net spending. Hate me for being skeptical but after the sh*t we have been through over the last couple of years I think alot of fans are being very naive in singinf FSGs praise when there net spend in the first year was very similar to the last 2 clowns who ran the club. The might do things behind clothes doors, but that just means they have learned from the lat 2 muppets, I am just asking people to not get carried away. On a positive note I think DC done a great job this summer.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact Raul was pissed at not getting a payraise promised by the previous regime, and handed in a transfer request? Na, not that at all. He was happy, but we sold him anyways. Yup.

Here's the facts bucko (Prices could be disputed, but regardless)
      Suarez: 22m
      Carroll : 35m
      Henderson: 20m
      Downing: 16m
      Adam: 7m
      Enrique: 5m
      Coates: 8m

And then Doni and Bellamy on frees.

That is 100m+ in the first year. Now yes, we got A LOT of money back from players - mostly Torres. But remember what used to happen to that money? Sucked up into those fat fuckers wallets, put into interest (40m a year if you may have forgotten). If they had been in charge, Suarez at 22m would have been a stretch. Carroll for 35m would not have happened. Let alone the rest in this short amount of time.

Every player identified as needed, every position we needed covering, has been covered. We said we needed defensive cover in central and left - we got it, and good stuff as well. Midfield? Done. Up front? Bellamy is an absolute steal on a free to have on the bench.

Yes i understand skepticism - but i don't understand it when there is no basis for it. Unless you are a whining fan who doesn't understand why we didn't throw 35-40m at Aguero, i suggest you shut it about calling fans naive just because we are singing their praises. They have done everything we wanted them as owners to do this summer. Trust me, I'm ever watchful of any changes that may happen to change my opinion on them - but i aint gonna sit under a foil hat and constantly look for the threats that probably are not there.

And one more thing: Hicks was voted (memory escapes me on the article, been awhile since i read it) but i think number 1 or 2 worst owners in baseball. FSG? Voted number 1 or 2 best in baseball. That's out of 30 teams. THIRTY TEAMS, a difference of 28 or so teams between for best and worst. That shows how different these owners are. So until they give good reason to suspect them, there is no need for posts like that. Just because we like our pint glasses half full, doesn't mean we are naive.

(Actually like my pints full, but the saying works better that way :D )
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #209: Sep 03, 2011 08:00:20 am
      I agree Kenny, Comolli and FSG are perpetrating an epic swindle on all of us. Using cloak and dagger methods they are riding the team of it's best players in order to bring in lesser talent at lower costs.
      :lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #210: Sep 03, 2011 08:09:37 am
      I just knew those not gifted in either original thought or mathematical acumen would be surfacing round about now A-Zee. From the first of February -

I'm easy confused - Why are you expecting a "much much higher net spend in the Summer"? : :f_doh:

Sure every f**ker we were connected with cost too much, according to you. Surely it's a much, much, lower net spend that will keep you quiet? You can't have your cake and eat it mate.

If we were to sell say; Kuyt, Maxi, Johnson, Poulsen, Skrtel and NGog for £45m (just a figure). ...

. ...And after some hard bargaining (not getting shafted), we bought; Alexis Sanchez, Romelu Lukaku, Arda Turan and Ashley Young for £44m; you'd be disappointed?

I've just thrown them names together for illustration purposes, by the way, and don't expect you to agree on either the players or the figures.

I just can't understand how folk can not accept that we've done really good business by buying in a better class of player (who will play) at the same time as selling players who wouldn't.

* Maybe if we had paid more for the better players? Nah wait; sure 'we' would be yapping that we was robbed or or paid too much.

** What about if we paid them all a higher wage; say £90k a week like Cole? Nah; that would be abhorrent to the armchair accountants and daft; eh?

*** Or how about we just kept some of the deadwood/players who didn't want to be here? Nah, that would be F***ing daft too; wouldn't it?

All of these ^^^ would have put a better shine on the twisted logic which some apply to 'net spend'. All of them equally nonsensical.

If you all remember; the snake Purslow was the half-wit who introduced (when he wanted to bull-sh*t us) the Hicks & Gillett driven notion that players' wages were part and parcel of our player transfer budget... remember how it was he who told us we'd spent £20m even though we'd sold £14m pounds more than we bought?  

I thought we had seen the end of such spin and Purslow P.R. bull-sh*t: until the rise of SuperShanks, that is.  ;)

Yet still there are some who haven't caught on. Sad really.  :confused-smiley-013:

Edit: sorry for the double post mods - for some reason I wasn't 'allowed' to post it all as one message.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2011 09:16:53 am by bad boy bubby »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #211: Sep 03, 2011 08:22:20 am
      "Some people cannot see the priest on a mountain of sugar."

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #212: Sep 03, 2011 09:07:38 am
      Although  i missed the excitement /disapointment at the end of the window , looking through the bullshit i think our team in place of transfers did a fantastic job ,we finally have squad of players who can and actually do want to play for the shirt ,very happy and extremely optimistic for the coming months .
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #213: Sep 03, 2011 11:23:55 am
      "Some people cannot see the priest on a mountain of sugar."

;D
      lfcwils
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #214: Sep 06, 2011 08:29:06 pm
      The window served us well ths time
      lupus_hegemonia
      • Strong & Eternal LFC supporter!
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 186 posts | -9 
      • From Aegean Sea... we're coming to support LFC!
      Reply #215: Sep 07, 2011 01:16:06 am
      Both - possitive & negative.
      LFC-YOMO
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #216: Sep 07, 2011 01:40:32 am
      Apart from the Alberto aquilani loan & the depature of meireles...i think we have truely done the best bit of buissness during this summer brought in quality players in adam,downing,henderson etc. Also its amazing how damien comolli and those who working behind the scene to have shipped out so much dead wood is fantastic and will only do wonders for this club as most of them were on riddiculous wages & saved 30mil+ on wages if i'm right, and i'll like to say the fact gerrard is due back around this month, that will be like a new signing in itself  :gt-happyup:

So heres too a great transfer window, thank god were getting back on track and its all thanks to our great owners,king kenny,D.C! YNWA  :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #217: Sep 07, 2011 05:15:12 am
      We've signed good players in Downing, Enrique, Henderson, Coates and Adam. They're 27, 25, 21, 21 and 26 respectively.

We may have paid a huge sum for a few of them but considering they've got 5-10 years left in them, I'd say we did good business.

It avoids having us to spend 25 million every year for multiple players also with the promising youngsters coming through. Like next summer, we probably just need another striker or winger.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #218: Sep 07, 2011 10:41:38 am
      Brilliant, I got warned, watched, moderated, banned, spoofed, watched, muted, moderated oh and we made some cracking transfers. :D
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #219: Sep 07, 2011 08:55:54 pm
      We've signed good players in Downing, Enrique, Henderson, Coates and Adam. They're 27, 25, 21, 21 and 26 respectively.

We may have paid a huge sum for a few of them but considering they've got 5-10 years left in them, I'd say we did good business.

It avoids having us to spend 25 million every year for multiple players also with the promising youngsters coming through. Like next summer, we probably just need another striker or winger.

You don't rate Bellamy then?
      He's the best signing of them all IMO.

Not only for us for the whole league. Bellamy on a free is Glorious
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #220: Sep 07, 2011 10:11:36 pm

I am not sure if this is a serious response or not...because FSG has been spending BIG money season after season to make the Red Sox's the power that they are. You don't own 2 sporting teams and treat them differently. Hence why H&G owned the Canadians, the Rangers, and LFC and put all 3 in the sh*tter. Henry and Werner have a blueprint on how to run a sporting institution and talk to any Red Sox fan they will tell you how radically they changed the culture of the Red Sox's in 2002, to a no nonsense, nothing but a win is acceptable type team.

And are you forgetting about Stevie? We have been seeing a team missing its best player and I would still be excited about the team if Gerrard retired tomorrow! We can field an extremely strong team already and Stevie will only make it stronger, and I know I would want Stevie on the field over Raul, ANY situation.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #221: Sep 08, 2011 01:50:43 am

You don't rate Bellamy then?
      He's the best signing of them all IMO.

Not only for us for the whole league. Bellamy on a free is Glorious

I do. I thought he was a fantastic piece of business but I think forgotten to mention about Doni and Bellamy.

Both were free but doubt we'll get five years + from them! They're good acquistions for the next two years (but Doni could be more), however.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #222: Sep 08, 2011 09:35:31 pm
      Last season:

Pepe
      Johno  Carra  Agger  Aurelio
               Lucas  Raul
       Kuyt      Stevie      Maxi
                   Torres

Bench - Jones, Kelly, Skrtel, Spearo, Cole, Babel, Ngog

This season:

Pepe
      Johno  Carra  Agger  Enrique
               Lucas  Adam
       Kuyt      Stevie       Downing
                   Suarez

Bench - Doni, Kelly, Skrtel, Henderson, Spearo, Bellamy, Carrol

These are in my opinion, our best match day squads for last season and this season. Looking only at the starting 11 I'd say there is very little between the two teams.  However, the difference is that we now have quality coming off the bench.  Who could we have called on to come off the bench and change a game for us last season ???  Cole, Babel, and Ngog?!  Babel was a decent supersub at times, but was unconvincing too often!!  

This season we can call on the likes of Hendo, Bellamy (a very shrewd signing in my opinion) and Carrol to come on and change a game.  We can even line Carrol up as the starting CF and bring Suarez on after 60 mins and let him have a field day with the oppositions defenders!!  

I have to say that overall we have done well this summer to fill our squad with quality players while also reducing the average age.  However, our biggest achievement may have been how significantly we managed to trim the wage bill!!  

I think many of us (myself included) were hoping that we would grab one marquee player, but I think that the moves we made this summer were well protracted and should serve the purpose of getting us back into the top 4 for next year.  Hopefully next summer we will see the addition of a marquee player or two!!  

Oh, and we should make a cheeky bid for Affelay this January...... We'll see if he has gotten sick of getting splinters in his arse by then and wants to actually play some footie to try to get into the Holland squad for the Euro's!!
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011 09:41:56 pm by harrydunn08 »

Quick Reply