Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

What lengths have you gone to watch a Liverpool game.

Read 6647 times
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Re: What lengths have you gone to watch a Liverpool game.
      Reply #23: Sep 09, 2011 12:25:55 am
      Couldn't get into the away end at Leeds back in 69/70 or whenever and hid my scarf so I could go into what became the Revie Stand.  We were losing till nearly time and then Chris Lawler scored twice and I had to act glum and say to people around me, Revie-like, that at least Norman Hunter was very professional today (Revie said that in every single post-match interview). 

I celebrated once I was well away from the bloody place.   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #24: Sep 09, 2011 04:13:13 am
      Nothing too extreme for me but I'd stay up till 2.30 am to watch us in Europe and sleep at 5.

Other than that, skipping parties/road trips to watch a game.

Probably the most "extreme" you can say I've gone through is waking up at around 7 to take a plane to Singapore with my dad. Had lunch and then took a train to the stadium to watch the game that started in the evenings and only went back the next morning.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Sep 09, 2011 05:30:25 am
      Couple.

The usual stay ups to 5am or sometimes 8am during European nights. I could of woken up in the morning to watch but i hate missing the build up to the match.

One night i was pissed as F**k and we played Stoke - the one where Huth scored in injury time to draw. Anyways i was out with some friends in the city with a fake ID as i wasn't 18 yet and it got around an hour before kick off. At this stage, all the bars were closed and only nightclubs were open. So i ditched my mates at the club, walked around the city for 45 minutes looking for a place that was showing it. It was about 15 minutes in to match and i thought 'F**k this' and broke my way in to the back door of a sports bar that closed around 2 hours earlier. The place was massive and i saw a tele in a back room. I sat there from the 30th minute or so onwards in a dark room drinking warm cans of beer cheering my tits off until Robert F***ing Huth scored.

Pissed off as hell, i walked out with a 6 pack and locked behind me and went off home.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Sep 09, 2011 05:41:27 am
      I discharged myself from hospital in February about an hour before the Chelsea game after getting completely fu**ed the night before, and collapsing on the pavement outside Bumper in Hardman Street.

I had to have brain scans the full works I drank that much.  

The nurse said that I would have to wait for the doctor to come and assess me before being told I could leave, but I just jumped out of bed in my little hospital nighty (no boxers) signed some shitty document and fu**ed off back to my flat just in time for kick off.  

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2011 05:49:38 am by fields of anny rd »
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #27: Sep 09, 2011 05:46:35 am
      Well I gave up studying for my exam next morning to watch that amazing night at Istanbul.I have sat through countless headaches late in nights to watch Liverpool even though some of those matches used to be real bland like our Europa league group matches.No regrets whatsoever.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #28: Sep 09, 2011 09:28:36 am
      I cancelled my honeymoon in Sorrento to go to Istanbul & I didnt have a ticket!
      She wasnt happy!!!
      We went the following week with me wearing a Champions Jersey!

Couldn't believe it all the local's Napoli fans were made up we had won. Happy Days...
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #29: Sep 09, 2011 10:40:24 am
      So quality posts & great stories in here.

Hats off to those people that sat with the opposing fans I have only did it once. Buggered if I would sit in with the leeds fans
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,541 posts | 3472 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30: Sep 09, 2011 10:46:13 am
      I attended a game against Norwich a few years ago whilst suffering a serious dose of the flu. I had to survive a five hour car journey there and back.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #31: Sep 09, 2011 11:52:05 am
      Couldn't get into the away end at Leeds back in 69/70 or whenever and hid my scarf so I could go into what became the Revie Stand.  We were losing till nearly time and then Chris Lawler scored twice and I had to act glum and say to people around me, Revie-like, that at least Norman Hunter was very professional today (Revie said that in every single post-match interview). 

I celebrated once I was well away from the bloody place.   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Enjoyed reading that, glad to see I'm not the only one had to sit in with Leeds fans.  Exact same scenario as mine, right down to the scoreline, although Norman Hunter wasn't playing. ;)

And I think I was in their East Stand quite near to our away end.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #32: Sep 09, 2011 02:02:06 pm
      excellent thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories. best fans in the world :)

i can't quite match most of you guys but i did queue for 6 hours to get my hands on the dortmund game at anfield in 2001. was worth every minute, we won 2-0 and smicer (remember him?) scored a cracking volley.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #33: Sep 09, 2011 02:33:55 pm
      My one would be when we played Inter at the San Siro in March 2008 we won 1-0 on the night with Torres scoring, going through to the Quarter Finals 3-0.

A first time poster offered two tickets for the game at face value 30 Euros each,

The challenge was it involved getting hold of the tickets by booking a flight to Switzerland with two days notice then having to book another flight the night before from a different airport. As the first one was cancelled due to the bad weather, catching a train to Lichtenstein hoping he turned up to meet us at the train station. Then catching a coach to take us to Milan.

We then had to blag our way in as we didn’t have ID to match the names on the tickets then having to restrain from going ape when Torres scored as we were in with the Inter supporters.

Then having to do it all in reverse with the added bonus of sleeping on platform of a Swiss train station for the night until the first train in the morning.

Still a great trip made possible a top red in Switzerland, the Internet and an understanding Wife.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: Sep 09, 2011 02:36:08 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6941921.stm

August 2007.

Toulouse.  Blistering heat.    We won .... Voronin scored ..... but everyone sweated off three stone in weight that day.
      Cooker.

Otherwise: Getting off the 510 and walking from Shiel Road Ice Rink to the ground when I was kid.
      A long way. ;D
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #35: Sep 09, 2011 03:01:07 pm
      Being in the RAF meant there was never much chance to finish work early, however I begged and pleaded with my Sgt to let me leave at half 2 instead of half 5 because I had got a ticket for Liverpool V Chelsea in the Champions League Group Stage.
      5 1/2 hours drive from Norwich in the pouring rain, got there just after YNWA for it to finish 0-0.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #36: Sep 09, 2011 04:19:59 pm
      For a 3pm Saturday game i used to get up at 3am, get to a coach park 15 mins away and set up a coach in time for the 1st pick up which was at around 4-4.15am. It would pick up supporters throughout the South-West, stop off at a Truckers Greasy Spoon in Stafford, and finally get to Anfield around midday. Enough time for the first timers to go around the ground and also plenty of time for the regulars to have a few beers in the pubs. After the match, back on board the coach for around 5.30pm and head back down to the South-West where i would normally get home for around 1am.

What used to be known as 'Flag Day' (not sure if it still is) was the best as we would normally stay in Liverpool overnight and get pissed only to go home feeling rough as rats on the Sunday.

Its not quite the European trips that other loyal supporters have been on but doing this ever other week was certainly an experience.
      Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #37: Sep 09, 2011 04:40:30 pm
      Well I did find a full match ticket on the floor in Picton Park, Liverpool for an old CL qualifying game at anfield and it was that night too. haha I had 10 minutes till kick off so I ran home got on the 60 to walton and ran to anfield ^_^ good night haha on my own
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #38: Sep 09, 2011 06:55:41 pm
      I once sat in the scum end in old trafford my Uncle got  tickets of some coffee company,He is a chelsea supporter so he gave them to me.it was the day we smashed them 4-1,I was sitting in there end and every time we  scored I could not move,would never do it again and I dont know how I was not kicked to death that day. >:D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #39: Sep 09, 2011 07:10:17 pm
      Jibbed off a date with a girl and the chance to go see Ocean Colour Scene to see us smash Sion 6-2!!

Cant top this  ;D

Have literally done the planes trains automobiles to get there but thats only from Ireland Im sure some of our Norwegian friends go to serious lenghts to get the game  :gt-happyup:
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #40: Sep 09, 2011 07:12:55 pm
      I once sat in the scum end in old trafford my Uncle got  tickets of some coffee company,He is a chelsea supporter so he gave them to me.it was the day we smashed them 4-1,I was sitting in there end and every time we  scored I could not move,would never do it again and I dont know how I was not kicked to death that day. >:D

We saw you!  With 5 minutes to go, there were only you and Fergie left.   :lmao:
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #41: Sep 09, 2011 07:32:05 pm
      Ha ha i legged it as soon as the whistle blow.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #42: Sep 09, 2011 10:12:14 pm
      Brilliant thread, really good stories and a good laugh at some of the antics from fellow lunatics,and here's mine....After landing on a building site on a whim, i met up with the organiser of the Worcester branch of LFC supporters,that was back in 1984,how lucky was i, anyhow for the next 7yrs i jumped aboard the coach at 08.45 Sat am every home match, we were dropped outside the Albert around 11.15,perfect timing, now bearing in mind a Friday night consisted of drinking copious amounts of ale visiting several local ale houses and causing havoc as we went, the night usually ended in a curry house where food was normally shared by being chucked at each other and a competition to see who could stick a nan bread to the ceiling, getting up next morning was a nightmare to say the least and breakfast consisted of a six pack of mcewans export, hair of the dog and all that,

a few beers later it was off to the chippy for sausage chips and gravy, followed by more ale courtesy of the staff at the Albert, a couple of rounds of tippit later and a change of scenery either to the salisbury or the flat iron, sometimes the supporters club,from there into the match with continuous pissing thru a rolled up paper, after the 90, across Stanley park onto the coach and back home, happiest days of my life, loved every second, wish i could turn the clock back.    YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #43: Sep 09, 2011 10:38:19 pm
      I attended a game against Norwich a few years ago whilst suffering a serious dose of the flu.

Done that as well.

Bouts of burning up, cold sweats and shivering, coughing the F***ing lot, no way was I missing a Man U game, that John Arne Riise free kick as well!!
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Sep 09, 2011 10:44:55 pm
      I haven't been to Anfield since I lost me ticket in Picton Park on the way to a CL qualifying game...  :(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #45: Sep 09, 2011 10:48:33 pm
      I haven't been to Anfield since I lost me ticket in Picton Park on the way to a CL qualifying game...  :(

Ha ha good try!!

Quick Reply