Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Daniel Agger
      (10.3%)
      Luis Suarez
      (36.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      (2.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (8.4%)
      Stewart Downing
      (25.8%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (0%)
      Someone else
      (16.8%)

Stoke 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 50556 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Stoke 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #828: Sep 11, 2011 12:19:01 pm
      It was a stonewaller mate the moment a defender wraps his arm a striker and obstructs him (irrespective of if he goes down or not) its a penalty, Carra was obstructing him so it was a penalty and I have no gripes with that, its the other decisions I have a gripe with, but I'll take the positives from the game in that allthough we wernt exactly at our best, the superior team on the day was beaten by the referee.

Nail on the head apart from the last comment, we were the superior team, but we were beaten by Stoke, not the referee and we put ourselves in that position.  We were wasteful in front of goal and with our possession . Their penalty was correctly called and still, for me, the only call we had that was a stonewaller, was the foul on Skrtel. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #829: Sep 11, 2011 12:41:24 pm
      We were wasteful.

Most of us know that we should have took all three points.  Apart from that penalty Stoke offered very little.

I think we are a massive improvement on last year, but these things take time.  Look at Man City - even with their billions they are now in the third season of development.

The day we can start regularly breaking down teams who put 10 men behind the ball will be the day we are genuine title contenders.

We're moving forward, and anybody who compares this fixture across the last 10 months can see it.

I'd say we've played well in all four of our Premier League games this season.  Admittedly for varying lengths of time.  Last year you would be lucky to see us have a good half in 4 games.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #830: Sep 11, 2011 12:56:55 pm
      Hendo had a shocker, I think he has potential but Bellamy should definitely start next game. Wasn't our best game either, first half we started well, then fizzed out after 10-15 mins for the remainder of the first half. We need Stevie back he will give us so many more options if he stays fit. Adam was very wastefull during the game.

What disappointed me the most was the shots on target. Towards the end of the game we were just trying to weave it through a packed defense, when we know there are 10 men in there. They defended well throwing everything at it (anyone during the summer saying Shawcross is crap needs an eye test) but we should be trying to ping them in, in style from 20 yards in these type of situations. Even if its not perfect, a ball fizzing in around the box is going to cause problems with deflections.

I am I'm no way commenting on the commitment and attitude of the players which I thought was fantastic.

I thought it was a very soft penalty as the rest of the game was very physical all over the pitch and Clattenberg wasn't giving anything else, but yes Carra wrapped his arm round and you cant do that. We were robbed of one before though which was clear as day. Kenny defo has a point as we don't seem to be getting anything going our way at the moment.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #831: Sep 11, 2011 01:24:55 pm
      F**k still feel too robbed and pissed off to contribute an adequate assesment of the match.

Deserved so much more.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #832: Sep 11, 2011 01:39:25 pm
      Nail on the head apart from the last comment, we were the superior team, but we were beaten by Stoke, not the referee and we put ourselves in that position.  We were wasteful in front of goal and with our possession . Their penalty was correctly called and still, for me, the only call we had that was a stonewaller, was the foul on Skrtel.

And that is why I said we were beaten by the referee mate, had he awarded that we may have a got point out of the game, so the referee beat us in my opinion, we did have our chances to take all three 3 points but that one decision could have turned the game on its head.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #833: Sep 11, 2011 01:46:36 pm
      The referee was sh*te, what do you expect from Clattenburg? But how we didn't many to score at least two of our chances is the worst bit. So, so many times in the last ten years I can remember us dropping points to a team who has only had one or two shots on goal and we've dominated the game. Until we consistently win these games and gain the belief in our ability to always get a result we won't be league champions. Still we played well yesterday and I'm not too worried. I can see us beating Spurs next week!
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #834: Sep 11, 2011 01:51:16 pm
      What pisses me off is that last season we went up there and were actually beaten by Stoke, and lost 2-0. This season we went up were the better team and still lost.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #835: Sep 11, 2011 02:36:22 pm
      I don't see the problem with Luis' gestures. He was pissed off with the lack of service at most times and i don't blame him. Most of the time in the first hour he had to deal with long balls or sh*t passes way too far for him.

He had a point when Jordan and Charlie were trying to smash the ball past Begovic and Luis was in tonnes of space. in fact after Henderson fu**ed up his first effort, he should of tried the lay off to Suarez.

It was funny listening to the game yesterday, Aldo sounded like he was getting into arguments with Stoke fans over the penalty shouts.

And to think Ferguson has been complaining about the FA treating MU with disrespect, yet in all honesty the FA treat us far F***ing worse.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #836: Sep 11, 2011 02:49:19 pm
      Obviously we need target practice especially for henderson. Time to bring in Coates for carra he is now a liability. Coates is an international player tall and has pace,good players adapt straight away example saurez. We should evaluate our older stars and base it on present form not on past form. Capello is hinting Gerrad and Lampard are not automatic starters anymore for england. Notice Gerrads stats drop every year and more injuries, he just cant dominate games  like he used to.We can turn the season around but we need creativity,teamwork and hard work.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #837: Sep 11, 2011 02:52:36 pm
      would love to know what game the 3 people who voted for adam were watching...
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #838: Sep 11, 2011 03:15:20 pm
      Just back from Hols and missed the game, but really surprised we didn't manage to grab a goal with the team we put out. Stoke away is always going to be abit of a struggle, even more so combined with a few shocking refereeing decisions.

Nevertheless, looks like the performance was encouraging despite the result.  

Onwards & upwards.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #839: Sep 11, 2011 03:22:16 pm
      late substitution were also one of the reason which caused us problems....specially Henderson ,that should be his worst game in liverpool shirt...though adam was worst player on the pitch but kk should have substituted him(hendo) with bellami...cause his presence was clearly creating problems for stoke ..at the end it wasn't our day as RLB said it should be 5-1 on other day ... thats why im pretty optimist for future after such kind of fighting display ,which was disappeared from years specially in away games..
      we will do really well this season...     
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #840: Sep 11, 2011 03:26:36 pm
      Id like to see Spearing start the next game at the expense of Adam. Henderson is a talented player but seems to go missing during the game and takes too long on the ball for my liking.
      The chance he had near the end of the game where he had oceans of room to run at that keeper and take it around him but he practically walked up to him and wasted one of our best chance really. We could have won the game we had enough chances I cant believe it took as long as it did to put Bellamy and Carroll on, if it was me I would have made that call at half time as Stoke rarely got forward and when they did only 2 players went forward because they were afraid of being exposed on the counter attack.   
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #841: Sep 11, 2011 05:54:09 pm
      I will admit I didn't see the game, but from the commentary I think that may have been a good thing!  Bergovic must have been on speed the way he pulled off save after save particularly when he managed like 4 in quick succesion!  If I'm honest I don't think I expected us to win this one (although it would proved we were more of a versatile unit this season) however I did think we may have fought a bit harder and managed a draw, yeah I realise how odd that sounds, but Stoke seem to be our nemisis team, I think the positive from this game would be that we didn't concede in open play, unfortunately that's all I can think of!

Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #842: Sep 11, 2011 06:24:09 pm
      Still bloody raging over this result and it's over 24 hours later. What a waste of 3 ponts. Really pisses me off not used to losing under Kenny.  Roll on Spurs We need to win
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #843: Sep 11, 2011 07:30:36 pm
      Still bloody raging over this result and it's over 24 hours later. What a waste of 3 ponts. Really pisses me off not used to losing under Kenny.  Roll on Spurs We need to win

Check the history books fella.  We used to lose under KD before, we lost yesterday and we will lose again.  However, the performance yesterday was the antithesis of last time we played at Stoke, when Hodgson sent us out with a rigid 4-4-2, sitting deep, trying not to lose, with no attacking intent other than a long ball.  And we lost 2-0, which could have been more.

The best team lost yesterday and that gives me so much hope.  Yes a few players were off colour, which often happens after internationals, but as a team, we still created enough to win.  With a better ref, we would have at least drew the game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #844: Sep 11, 2011 07:40:12 pm
      Well, when all is said and done, Stoke are still a side I would expect us to beat 9 times out of 10. I suppose on goal chances, we should have as well, just so dissapointed, not only with the result, but more for the fact we have dominated what is a mid table side, and once again failed to win. If we beat the mancs, both sides, the arse and chelsea, it will all be in vain once again if we continue to fail to beat these sort of sides. I was hoping all that tosh was behind us but it seems not. Adam still seems a very ordinary player for me and Henderson will need to step up a bit to bring his potential to fruition. I still don't think we look like a prem winning side, and following this performance, although the superior side, we don't have enough guile and trickery to break these sides down. We deffo need a bit more finnese. Hope Stevie is back to his best when he starts a game, we need his class in the middle. So so gutted.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #845: Sep 11, 2011 08:34:53 pm
      Games like this, when you have so much possession are difficult to win because everything was being played with about 20 players all inside the stoke half and you have no room to play. It probably would have been easier if we let stoke out a bit and give our players more room to play when in their half. When you are playing away from home you expect to have to do more defending which leaves more space for attacking when we get the ball. Very frustrating for everybody but we did nothing wrong, it was just one of those days. Just a pity all the other top teams won as well. Bring on next week and lets get back to winning ways.
      igor zidane
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 13 
      Reply #846: Sep 11, 2011 08:44:09 pm
      Lets be honest here for a mo . We f***in murdered them and on another day would have won the match at a canter . Only problem i had with yesterday was carra and his awful defending and even worse distribution . He's is looking slow and old now and needs to be dropped for someone else . If he's still got it in him he'll have to prove it now i'm afraid and fight for a place in the team .

We battered stoke and apart from the pen they had very little opportunity on goal and they were going for carra every time . Should have won , didn't . Not to concerned overall as all that we need is a need center half pairing and we'll be fine . Adam was poor at times as was Henderson as was kuyt , but they will be fine next game because kuyt will be dropped for Carroll and Henderson for Bellamy and Adam can start to dictate play again from a position of strength . Roll on spurs.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #847: Sep 11, 2011 09:04:58 pm
      Been away for the weekend, so not seen game, just heard result. P**d off doesnt begin to cover it.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #848: Sep 11, 2011 09:11:02 pm
      Dickheads amongst our travelling Kop were trashing Stoke's seats apparently.  F***ing stupid.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #849: Sep 11, 2011 09:25:55 pm
      Still sick today. Never mind the cold. This is a match that, when you look back at it again, you think. . . How the hell did we lose that. It's not one thing though is it? Carra caught out. Stoke putting everything on the line. Officials taking the mickey. Had it all really. Except for the Blue Moon.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #850: Sep 11, 2011 09:29:37 pm
      Got respect for Kenny (as if I didn't have so much already) for not letting the media pressure him into playing Carroll

He's not on form so he left him out and didn't give a sh*t what the press would make of it

Quick Reply