Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Daniel Agger
      (10.3%)
      Luis Suarez
      (36.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      (2.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (8.4%)
      Stewart Downing
      (25.8%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (0%)
      Someone else
      (16.8%)

Stoke 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 51006 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Re: Stoke 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #874: Sep 12, 2011 09:24:20 am
      Never seen us lose such a one sided game... Clattenburg is just as bad as Webb though, has an agenda against LFC... Terrible Ref

Suarez should have buried that one at the end.
      Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish will consult the club's owners over how to deal with what he perceives to be poor refereeing so far this season.

The Reds boss was unhappy with a number of decisions during his side's 1-0 defeat on Saturday.

Afterwards he said "The first four games have had contentious decisions in them and every one has gone against us".

"We would like to be respectfull to referees but more important is having respect for my football club".
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011 03:55:46 pm by stuey »
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #875: Sep 12, 2011 10:01:04 am
      We were very unlucky the ref was terrible from the start.
      If we play like that every away game we'll be fine. We may
      have lost but it was a decent performance defo our best showing
      at the brittania.
      Unlucky lads.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #876: Sep 12, 2011 10:39:43 am
      Didn't get to see the match or the motd highlights. From what i've been able to see on the net the penalty looks very very genrous to me but having said that is it just me who thinks carra is now a liability at the back for us?
      Before i get shot down, Carra has been an exceptional player over the years for us but he never had pace to begin with and now he seems to have lost what little he had to start with.
      He was at fault for Bolton's goal against us and also the penalty against stoke. IMO i think he should be reaplced with skrtel or coates partnering Agger.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #877: Sep 12, 2011 10:50:39 am
      The performances are there. We lost one game, one that we should not have lost but we did. We still have players now who can come into the first 11 and improve us in the coming weeks. Gerrard should deffo play behind Suarez or Carroll, whoever is picked out of the 2 of them to start. They will lap up his vision and ability. That leaves Adam to stay in the middle with Lucas, he did have a bit of an off day for me on saturday but you can see he will improve throughout the season. Its one game in a long season and i think a top 4 spot is there for the taking.
      L4Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • @L4Red8
      Reply #878: Sep 12, 2011 11:10:45 am
      I have not re-watched this game but from first viewing, I wasn't disappointed by our performance and we deserved more. We played OK (average) it was no where near as good as the performance against Bolton, we gave possession away too easily, too many passes going astray. It wasn't a performance to go raving about even if we had won but it was good enough to come away with some points.

The standard of playing really well was set against Bolton, they are high standards but I'm confident we'll be seeing performances like it again more often than not. Only downer for me is that it seems after every game this season I am finding myself saying 'we should have scored more' I know this means we must be creating the chances which is good but we must start being more clinical in front of goal.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #879: Sep 12, 2011 11:55:50 am
      It's still pissing me off this >:(
      fowler2010
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #880: Sep 12, 2011 01:34:26 pm
      what a crap day at work,mancs and blue noses rubbing my face in it.please beat spurs :f_wah:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #881: Sep 12, 2011 01:48:00 pm
      Bad day at office. Move on. Bring on the Spuds.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #882: Sep 12, 2011 01:52:26 pm
      This is the first game i can recall for a long time where i haven't watched the highlights after the match. Still depressed as F**k and turn away or close my eyes whenever it's mentioned on TV or on the net.

Hope we bounce back against Spurs.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #883: Sep 12, 2011 01:54:41 pm
      Carragher got caught the wrong side doesn't excuse the linesman missing the push on him by Walters though. Carragher is on the wane for a while now. I think it is to early to just throw Coates in I would like to see a partnership of Agger and Skrtel for now
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #884: Sep 12, 2011 01:58:27 pm
      Carragher got caught the wrong side doesn't excuse the linesman missing the push on him by Walters though. Carragher is on the wane for a while now. I think it is to early to just throw Coates in I would like to see a partnership of Agger and Skrtel for now

True moments before the penalty none other then our Jamie was in possession of the ball before he decided to hoof it to Suarez who was up against Upson and Shawcross both a good head of him taller.

I felt really depressed watching the highlights definetly feel short changed not only by Clattenburg but lady luck also.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #885: Sep 12, 2011 04:56:09 pm
      Did anyone else notice how frustrated Suarez was getting?  I don't think his frustration was due to his own play either.... I think he was frustrated with the play of some or most of his teammates, and that is a scary thought!!!  Suarez is a winner through and through, and if we do not do enough as a club to satisfy what he believes he deserves (to be challenging for every trophy and winning a fair few, Champs League included) I doubt it will be too long before he has his head turned by a team like Barca, Madrid, City, Chelsea, Milan, etc....

This is why I still believe that we NEED another game changer!  We cannot continue to look to feed Suarez whenever we are in need of a goal!  It becomes far too predictable and we will really suffer if he is ever injured/suspended.  If we really want to become an elite team again, we need another player of his ilk, and we need to get one sooner rather than later....

As for the game, I thought we played well enough to take something from it, but sometimes the ball doesn't bounce in your favor.
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #886: Sep 12, 2011 05:51:45 pm
      Did anyone else notice how frustrated Suarez was getting?  I don't think his frustration was due to his own play either.... I think he was frustrated with the play of some or most of his teammates, and that is a scary thought!!!  Suarez is a winner through and through, and if we do not do enough as a club to satisfy what he believes he deserves (to be challenging for every trophy and winning a fair few, Champs League included) I doubt it will be too long before he has his head turned by a team like Barca, Madrid, City, Chelsea, Milan, etc....

This is why I still believe that we NEED another game changer!  We cannot continue to look to feed Suarez whenever we are in need of a goal!  It becomes far too predictable and we will really suffer if he is ever injured/suspended.  If we really want to become an elite team again, we need another player of his ilk, and we need to get one sooner rather than later....

As for the game, I thought we played well enough to take something from it, but sometimes the ball doesn't bounce in your favor.

Fair comment Harry. No doubt it will inevitable happen in 2-3 years time if liverpool havne't progressed under kenny as in CL football and chalenging for major trophies. This guy could embrace any team in Europe. We simply cannot allow what happend to torres ( although a blessing as he's in decline imo) happen to Suarez.
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #887: Sep 12, 2011 06:26:22 pm

You could still see the tops of the goalposts though.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #888: Sep 13, 2011 09:35:42 am
      Could have missed the penalty.  Could have been saved.  We should never have been in the position in which one decision cost us that game.

i'd have said 3 or 4 key decisions
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #889: Sep 13, 2011 10:58:38 am
      We F***ing huffed, we F***ing puffed but we didn't blow their F***ing house down!   :mad: :mad: :mad:

That result was gut wrenching. I still can't get over it.  :mad:
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #890: Sep 13, 2011 11:02:32 am
      Seeing our main rivals winning last week made it worse.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #891: Sep 13, 2011 12:53:07 pm
      Pulis agreed we should have had a pen for the Delap handball (not for the Upson one and I agree with him there).  Didn't mention the Skrtel one.  He said theirs was a pen, but I think he also admitted that it is sometimes not given, rare for a manager to do that.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #892: Sep 13, 2011 01:11:46 pm
      Stoke don't play football.  They prevent the opposition playing football and then hope to pick something up from set pieces, long balls and scrappy play.

How do they stop us playing?

1. Get physical and try and muscle us off the ball.
      2. Don't cut the grass and frustrate our passing game.
      3. Mark out the pitch as narrow as legal to frustrate us going down the flanks.

This is probably why we will need Carrol to drive through the middle and shrug off their physical approach.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this will be our hardest game so far.  Nobody gets an easy ride at the Britannia.

Trust Kenny has got a plan - a damn cunning plan.

Well TKIDLLTK was I right?
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #893: Sep 13, 2011 01:12:24 pm
      I think Pulis is a decent fella, who speaks the truth as he sees it, because Stoke are frequently victimised for their "aggressive" nature.

I can't wait for us to turn Spurs over so we can put this game to bed, it's still playing on my mind.
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011 01:20:53 pm by Jase »
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #894: Sep 13, 2011 01:15:32 pm

haha, knew this would come up, didn't remember who was talking this with.

Stoke do play better football than they did, but clearly they were not capable against a top side :)

They didn't start the game like that really, but once the ref gave them a 1-0 lead, they did what they needed to to protect their lead.

But yeah, you were right ;D +
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #895: Sep 13, 2011 01:18:44 pm
      haha, knew this would come up, didn't remember who was talking this with.

Stoke do play better football than they did, but clearly they were not capable against a top side :)

They didn't start the game like that really, but once the ref gave them a 1-0 lead, they did what they needed to to protect their lead.

But yeah, you were right ;D +

Fair play to you.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #896: Sep 13, 2011 01:20:48 pm
      Without a doubt mate but Stoke are so predictable it really is a F***ing joke.
      They just get better at the negative aspect of their game.

Quick Reply