Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Emile Heskey or Peter Crouch

Read 7657 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Emile Heskey or Peter Crouch
      Sep 11, 2007 06:36:05 am
      Who would you like to see play with Owen upfront in the England game against Russia ?.

As a lot of you know, I'm not a great lover of Crouch, the way he plays he is a hard man to play in any team,
      but he does make a great sub. he can change a game for you.

Heskey, is a great football player, but he can not score goals, big and strong, but does not know where the net is.

My nod has to go with Crouch, only because he has scored so many goals for England, don't know why, but playing for England suits the way he plays.

What do you think;

Also England to win 2-0
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Emile Heskey or Peter Crouch
      Reply #1: Sep 11, 2007 09:37:30 am
      Good topic this.

I couldn't really decide.  I would probably pick Heskey to start.  I think saying that he doesn't know where the net is, is quite harsh.  He isn't that bad.

He's shown he can score goals and any level.  Why we sold him was beyond me. But yes, I would prefer Crouch to come on to battle with the tired legs the oppositions defence.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Sep 11, 2007 11:09:09 am
      England played fairly well against a poor side and I am a firm believer in If it ain't broken, leave it alone, and not take it apart and find out why? so I guess I'd start with Heskey. As Crouch is a "marked" man by the Refs I'd be wary of playing him at all, 'cos to be honest most of the decisions go against him and for me I can't see him foul/impede anyone.

What about dropping Owen and starting with the 2 big fellers, and then bringing on a shorty like Owen, I wounder how the defenders would cope with that?
      Cy
      Reply #3: Sep 11, 2007 11:46:41 am
      I would go along with you court, Heskey to start with Crouch later on the second half. Heskey played well against Israel, I also share your view on why we sold him. I hope that he will score tomorrow...

It will be tougher then Israel for sure, a draw 2-2 for me...
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #4: Sep 11, 2007 01:21:14 pm
      id say crouch because when crouch and owen have started together they both scored five goals each and crouch  target as a target man plays well outside the box leaving room for owen and stevie g to run in behind, 2-1 england
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2007 02:58:38 pm
      Heskey's a confidence player. And he didn't do too badly on Saturday so he'll probably be eager to have another go tomorrow. But I think Crouch is more skillful which could come in handy against tougher opposition.

Not all that bothered to be honest. If Crouch plays, I'll just be hoping he gets some match practice in for us and comes through with no injuries.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Sep 13, 2007 01:57:14 pm
      Who would have thought it a serious debate on who should play Heskey or Crouch,will Rooney get back in I hope not.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 13, 2007 06:39:11 pm
      Who would have thought it a serious debate on who should play Heskey or Crouch,will Rooney get back in I hope not.

Ha-ha, good point.

With the game gone-by now, I thought I'd draw attention to the article on the LFCTV site by Paul Tomkins, which I thought was as honest and accurate as you'll get assessment of Heskey, which he admits that he feels that he wasn't always able to give the guy. He then uses the 'Heskey dilemma' to compare our new crop of players with. Good stuff, I thought.
      In retrospect, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised at the level of success Heskey had at the start with us, and was as disappointed when it waned, without necessarily feeling that Heskey either succeeded or failed overall in his time at Anfield. For me, he kind of did both and they cancelled each other out.
      Anyhow, I'll remember the good bits (like that thumper against Leeds in the FA Cup run) and say well played Emile Heskey, England First Team Player. ;D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #8: Sep 21, 2012 01:30:55 am
      Emile Heskey signs deal with Newcastle Jets in Australia's A-League
      • Former Aston Villa forward agrees one-year deal
      • Signing sets up pairing with Michael Bridges

The former Aston Villa and Liverpool striker Emile Heskey has signed a one-year deal to play with the Newcastle Jets in Australia's top-tier A-League.

The 34-year-old, who has been a free agent since being released by Aston Villa in the summer, will join Newcastle for the 2012-2013 season, which begins in October. He will be paired up front with the former Leeds forward Michael Bridges, who has been at the Jets since 2009.

The Newcastle coach, Gary van Egmond, said Heskey's relationship with Bridges, a former Premier League player, had allowed him to gain an "understanding" of what the A-League has to offer.

"His effectiveness in being able to hold the ball up and invite other players to play off him is going to be a big benefit to us," he said. "He's someone who can really lead the line and that is exactly what we've been missing."

Heskey, who was capped 62 times by England and has FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup winner's medals, said he was excited at the prospect of playing for a new club in a new country but also keen to make a wider contribution to football in Australia. "I hope I can help grow football at the grass-roots level and also provide advice to young players at the Jets," he said.

Heskey is the second high-profile signing to have joined the A-League recently; the former Juventus forward Alessandro Del Piero will be playing for Sydney this season, despite having attracted interest from English Premier League clubs. Newcastle said Heskey had also received offers in England but had preferred the lure of Australia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/21/emile-heskey-australia-aleague?CMP=twt_gu
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Sep 21, 2012 06:44:15 am
      The Newcastle coach, Gary van Egmond, said Heskey's relationship with Bridges, a former Premier League player, had allowed him to gain an "understanding" of what the A-League has to offer.

Regular wage.
      Sun.
      Beer.
      BBQs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #10: Sep 21, 2012 06:51:46 am
      Fell on his feet there, makes a change from falling on his arse with those pleading eyes directed at the referee.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #11: Sep 27, 2012 02:53:21 pm
      In the paper today they have sold out of Heskey 9 shirts - 5000 more on order.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Sep 28, 2012 04:22:59 am
      Whatever happened to 'Maradona or Pele'. I mean Crouch and Heskey have their pluses but I don't think "past Butcher past Hodge round Shlton ....CROUCHYY"!!! would ever be possible.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Oct 02, 2012 09:53:38 am
      What happened to emile? Was a top striker when we bought him off Leicester, had 2 great seasons for us. Then it went pear shaped.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #14: Oct 26, 2012 12:49:38 am
      Emile Heskey's every move filmed in Australia

Fans of Australian side Newcastle Jets will be able to watch every run, pass and, maybe even a shot if they're lucky, of their club's new striker Emile Heskey in their game against Melbourne tonight. That is because broadcaster Fox Sports has launched "Heskeycam", which will follow the ex-Liverpool and Aston Villa striker for the whole game.

Supporters in England may question the logic of such a service, but Fox Sports says: "Heskeycam gives you it all: one camera, one hero; providing a rare insight into what makes Heskey so good."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/emile-heskeys-every-move-filmed-in-australia-8227263.html
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #15: Oct 26, 2012 01:49:14 am
      "Heskeycam gives you it all: one camera, one hero; providing a rare insight into what makes Heskey so good."

[Checks date] Nope, it's not April Fools Day  :f_doh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #16: Oct 26, 2012 02:49:54 am
      Emile Heskey's every move filmed in Australia

Fans of Australian side Newcastle Jets will be able to watch every run, pass and, maybe even a shot if they're lucky, of their club's new striker Emile Heskey in their game against Melbourne tonight. That is because broadcaster Fox Sports has launched "Heskeycam", which will follow the ex-Liverpool and Aston Villa striker for the whole game.

Supporters in England may question the logic of such a service, but Fox Sports says: "Heskeycam gives you it all: one camera, one hero; providing a rare insight into what makes Heskey so good."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/emile-heskeys-every-move-filmed-in-australia-8227263.html

:lmao:

I wonder how many times it'll show him falling over on his arse!!
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #17: Oct 27, 2012 01:13:51 am
      It showed him scoring a brace, one of which was a bicycle kick! Bring him home Brendan!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #18: Oct 27, 2012 01:41:15 am
      It showed him scoring a brace, one of which was a bicycle kick! Bring him home Brendan!

Emile Heskey's Bicycle Kick Goal against Melbourne Victory
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 27, 2012 08:37:15 am
      Crouch all the way, the hat trick at Anfield, left foot right foot and head was one of the best I have seen.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Oct 27, 2012 12:40:18 pm
      In his peak, Heskey was better than Crouch. His first 2 seasons with us were outstanding. What happened since??

Emile Heskey - Greatest Goals Compilation
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Oct 27, 2012 01:12:20 pm
      Always thought of Heskey as a (very) poor man's Peter Beardsley, as in he made his strike partners look better than they were, but he always seemed to lack that ruthless streak, that little selfish edge that could have made a difference to his career.  It may be unfair on him, but I always felt he didn't frighten defenders, largely because he came across as a gentle giant who seemed to lack any grace or balance. It's probably erroneous, but when talking about Emile, I just get a montage in my head of him slipping, falling on his arse or stumbling forward after tripping over the ball/his own feet.

Crouch also has that nice man image, but not so much on the pitch, where he is flailing limbs seem to engulf defenders as he tries to get a vital touch, he always just seemed to have that little ruthless edge over Emile, in my mind.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #22: Oct 27, 2012 03:15:26 pm
      In his peak, Heskey was better than Crouch. His first 2 seasons with us were outstanding. What happened since??

Emile Heskey - Greatest Goals Compilation

Agree, but only in his peak which didn't last that long. In the 2000/01 Treble winning season, Heskey was immense and scored a lot of goals. He faded quickly soon after and never managed to capture that form again.

Quick Reply