Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Nostalgia

Read 20347 times
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Re: Nostalgia
      Reply #115: Oct 15, 2009 10:43:08 pm
      Stork Margerine for best and Echo Margerine for cooking........ Proper Eggs.......Johnny 7...... Raleigh Choppers..... Sunblest Bread........ Meccano...... Connie Onnie........ Triumph Tiger Cubs........ Bonnevilles....... No 6 ciggies....... Caramacs...... Smiths Crisps with the little bag of salt in......... Fireball XL5..........Tellys with valves in and a slot machine on the back to take 5p pieces........ Shutting up again! :)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #116: Oct 15, 2009 11:47:38 pm
      Stork Margerine for best and Echo Margerine for cooking........ Proper Eggs.......Johnny 7...... Raleigh Choppers..... Sunblest Bread........ Meccano...... Connie Onnie........ Triumph Tiger Cubs........ Bonnevilles....... No 6 ciggies....... Caramacs...... Smiths Crisps with the little bag of salt in......... Fireball XL5..........Tellys with valves in and a slot machine on the back to take 5p pieces........ Shutting up again! :)
      Mate I remember Echo it was utter sh*te.Remember the crisps with bags of salt, my mate at school had a Bonnie, I had an Ariel leader.Funny enough in later life got a job as a debt collector, working for Granada tv,I had to go round collecting money from the slot tv's in "Huyton" and "Page Moss".That really was an interesting occupation, I could tell some tales.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #117: Oct 16, 2009 06:30:45 pm
      Mate I remember Echo it was utter sh*te.Remember the crisps with bags of salt, my mate at school had a Bonnie, I had an Ariel leader.Funny enough in later life got a job as a debt collector, working for Granada tv,I had to go round collecting money from the slot tv's in "Huyton" and "Page Moss".That really was an interesting occupation, I could tell some tales.

I have lived in Huyton all my life!............ well, apart from when I was In the Royal Navy, and 10yrs in Formby..... I learned to ride a motor bike on a BSA Bantam when I delivered telegrams for the GPO, then had a Tiger Cub, CB 250 and then a Kwak 500 that I got banned on  >:D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #118: Oct 16, 2009 09:16:27 pm
      Aidan. If you say you'll shut up one more time I'll have to ban you!!! Keep it going mate! Love it!!

I had three choppers and....a budgie!! A budgie was a little version of a chopper. That's what I learned to ride a bike on!  ;D

Smiths crisps with the little blue bag of salt in. Class!

Who remembers 'have you got a 50p for the leccy?'.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #119: Oct 16, 2009 10:39:04 pm
      coffee wasn't an option unless you count "Camp"

Camp coffee, omg I do remember that.  Horrible stuff :D

I had three choppers and....a budgie!!

I'm dead jealous.  Me and my sister were never allowed choppers, we got a F***ing Raleigh Shopper.  So not cool.  Wasn't there a baby chopper bike called a cheetar as well?

Building dens!  That was boss.  We lived just outside of town when we were kids which was brilliant for den building.  We especially enjoyed it when the farmers were growing things like hay.  Never corn, that was too sharp.  We'd start at one end of a field and crawl along, elbow over elbow, making sort of tunnels through the fields.  When we got tired we would roll a bit to make a room and then carry on with our tunnels.  That was me and my mates favourite thing to do in the summer.  We could never understand why we always got in to trouble for it.  Now, I can see, we were ruining the poor farmers crop.....oops.  It was fun though!

Playing cards stuck in your bike wheels to make them sound like motorbikes.  Happy days :D
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #120: Oct 16, 2009 10:40:14 pm
      Remember when you could smoke upstairs on the bus?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #121: Oct 16, 2009 10:41:12 pm
      You still can lad, just don't get caught doing it.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #122: Oct 16, 2009 10:43:36 pm
      Remember when you could smoke upstairs on the bus?

Yes!  And a bit before my time down here, you could on the tube as well.  Can't imagine what that would have been like.  Before the Kings Cross fire you could still smoke on the platforms.

The old smoking coach on the train up to Liverpool or Wales from Euston used to be minging, you couldn't see at times for the smoke!
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #123: Oct 16, 2009 10:43:41 pm
      When Lucozade come in a glass bottle.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #124: Oct 16, 2009 10:47:48 pm
      When the bus cost ten bob rather than a flaming fortune.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #125: Oct 16, 2009 11:43:25 pm
      Camp coffee, omg I do remember that.  Horrible stuff :D

I'm dead jealous.  Me and my sister were never allowed choppers, we got a F***ing Raleigh Shopper.  So not cool.  Wasn't there a baby chopper bike called a cheetar as well?

Building dens!  That was boss.  We lived just outside of town when we were kids which was brilliant for den building.  We especially enjoyed it when the farmers were growing things like hay.  Never corn, that was too sharp.  We'd start at one end of a field and crawl along, elbow over elbow, making sort of tunnels through the fields.  When we got tired we would roll a bit to make a room and then carry on with our tunnels.  That was me and my mates favourite thing to do in the summer.  We could never understand why we always got in to trouble for it.  Now, I can see, we were ruining the poor farmers crop.....oops.  It was fun though!

Playing cards stuck in your bike wheels to make them sound like motorbikes.  Happy days :D

Dens were boss! I grew up on the Boot estate in Norris Green and it was literally an area full of crescent streets, pretty enclosed  to look at on the outside. But most of the back gardens were very long. (I know this because I know this  ;) ) And apparently the Boot estate was built on a marsh land so there was lots of trees and bushes everywhere. In between our back garden and the back garden of the neighbours behind us was an area about 20 yards wide, which was full of trees and bramble bushes etc. The fence at the back of our garden was years old as it was part of my Granddad's old shed from when they first moved into the street in the late 50's. They don't make wood like that anymore!

Anyway, I didn't need much to make a den behind our back garden because it was mostly covered by low laying branches and hollow bushes. But anything I could find to make a cover I'd put it up there. I remember when the corpy built walls all down the street there was loads of plastic sheeting knocking about from the pallets of bricks. I had some of it off and believe me, sitting in my den in the summer rain was brilliant.

By the way. Wasn't a cheeter a BMX type of bike? It definitely rings a bell that. Here was a budgie though. Mine was red.  ;D

Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #126: Oct 16, 2009 11:48:27 pm
      Kenny, it's all clear now. Now I know why you like watching Bear Grylls.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #127: Oct 17, 2009 12:27:41 am
      Me and my Bro's den was made out of corrugated tin sheets in the pit slag heeps behind our council house.All our mates came round but as my bro was 5 years younger than me, he got sent home early.Once when we were short of wood for the camp fire,I decided to remove some of the wooden front gates on the estate for fuel.We had a great fire, roasted potatoes in foil on it, entertained the "laidies", then got home to find the bizzies waiting for me, thanks to my bro.Only got a caution off the bizzies, but my Dad exacted the revenge
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #128: Oct 17, 2009 10:16:04 am
      We used to make dens by digging fouging great holes in the back field and then roofing them over with poles covered by corrugated iron and then earth, with an entrance cut out in one corner and a fire place in the other........ great until the wind changed and blew all the smoke back down inside!........ we would come out looking like the black and white minstrels.  ;D

How many of us went 'Scrumping' for apples?..............Or pears  ;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #129: Oct 17, 2009 11:39:48 am
      Reading through this topic brings back great memories ,but the younger generation reading it must think we were all off a different planet ,not much money but the laughs were plentifull ,,and judging by the stories the health and safety board would have half of us locked up ,but thats how kids used to learn in those far off days .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #130: Oct 17, 2009 11:41:55 am
      We used to make dens by digging fouging great holes in the back field and then roofing them over with poles covered by corrugated iron and then earth, with an entrance cut out in one corner and a fire place in the other........ great until the wind changed and blew all the smoke back down inside!........ we would come out looking like the black and white minstrels.  ;D

How many of us went 'Scrumping' for apples?..............Or pears  ;D
      Scrumped many an apple my friend.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #131: Oct 17, 2009 08:58:33 pm
      Remember making my own sterries with pram wheels, and jummping a ride onthe back of a coal lorry and getting a legger of the driver
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #132: Oct 18, 2009 12:46:34 am
      Milk floats used to be a normal mode of transport to the bus stop.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #133: Oct 18, 2009 12:55:39 am
      "penny for the Guy",used to be a valuable source of income around this time of year.In my town "trick or treat" at Halloween, usually was met with a sincere f*ck off, whereas bommie night seemed to invoke reverential feelings.So folks would give you money knowing they would enjoy the fireworks in the sky, whilst having a bevvie, some scouse and that god awful treacle toffee.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #134: Oct 18, 2009 03:03:41 pm
      Sagging School to go fishing at Big Waters in Cronton, skipping on an off a moving coal train as it went through Huyton Quarry to get there!..... Bike rides to Ainsdale beach during the summer holidays, making your own bike from old parts, my first three were home made, ......... the rope swing on the 'Three Legged Tree' on the Georges,......... Swimming in 'Tushies' the old quarry where Stadt Moers park is now,....... Semolina in school,...... Rhubarb and Goosegog crumble, ...... Pineapple chunks,...... Watch with Mother,...... French Arrows,........... home made Catties,......... Radio Caroline,.......... Damming the Alt and having tugs of war over the resulting pool,..... 'Finding out' about girls,....... Climbing, anything and everything, did'nt matter what it was, trees, lamp posts, swings anything........baking spuds in the embers of your bommie, which would still be burning three days after 5th of Nov.......... Shutting up again!  :lmao:
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #135: Oct 18, 2009 03:06:31 pm
      Scrumped many an apple my friend.

With your jumper stuffed down the front of your Kecks and stuff the apples inside?......  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #136: Oct 18, 2009 03:11:33 pm
      Wow! i feel 10 again!
      this thread is fantastic..fruit salads,black jacks,refreshers,crunchy puffs.list can go on ;D ;D
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #137: Oct 19, 2009 10:20:56 am
      Alpine Lemonade form the pop man on a saturday morning.

It was about 4p for a four litre bottle and would strip paint at 200 yards :D

Quick Reply