Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Nostalgia

Read 20350 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Nostalgia
      Reply #92: Oct 09, 2009 12:32:59 am
      Playing proper card games rather than these watered down versions the yanks have come up with. Such as 5 card poker where you could only open with a pair of picture cards (or better).
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #93: Oct 09, 2009 01:09:22 am
      Guess Who!!

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #94: Oct 09, 2009 07:51:08 pm
      Nah, Connect 4 was the game to play Kenny.

Guess Who was a good little game though. "Is she wearing glasses?"
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #95: Oct 10, 2009 12:58:17 am
      omg     i really feel like eating one of those thingios that you spread on toast from the 80s.... you put the sh*t on your toast and toast it  cheese and ham flavour...yum.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #96: Oct 10, 2009 11:25:40 pm
      The boys pen in the top right hand corner of the Kop, climbing over the fence to get into the Kop proper.... used to cost half a dollar to get in. Spearmint lolly ices from Pendletons. The smell of fresh ground coffee that used to drift over the city center from the old Kardomah coffee shop. Fish'n'Chips for a tanner. A cup of Oxo, either at the match or on the cafe balcony overlooking the big pool in Dovecot Baths. 6c bus to the Pier Head used to cost 3d there and 3d back. Exchange station where we used to get the train to West Kirkby for a special day out. Poaching rabbits on Lord Derby's with an air rifle...... the game keeper used to load his shotgun with rock salt and was a F***ing good shot! Getting Thursday afternoon off school to go and wait outside my dads works to get his wages off him so me mam would be able to get something for the tea. Sugar Butties....... Yechhh. Watching England win the world cup on the first portable telly I ever saw, in the back of a fire engine that was at a fete on King George playing fields in Huyton...........I will shut the F**k up now!  ::)
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #97: Oct 12, 2009 10:47:24 am
      omg     I really feel like eating one of those thingios that you spread on toast from the 80s.... you put the sh*t on your toast and toast it  cheese and ham flavour...yum.

Do you mean Toast Toppers Rob?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #98: Oct 13, 2009 08:16:40 am
      Aiden Denny,s post of the 3d bus ride to the Pier Head reminded me of when the trams were running and we were able to go from Page Moss to the Pier Head for one old penny return.That was going via Old swan and Kensington,if you wanted to go via West Derby  you had to get the bus to Green Lane ( I think it was the 74c ) and change  on to a tram to take you to town.Regarding Dovecot Baths we used to go there regularly but I do not recall any cafe being there ,maybe it came after the 1950/60s,we used to go there with the school and even in the middle of winter when it was snowing we had to go or have a bloody good reason for not attending.We used to go on our bikes to Anfield and leave the bikes in someones backyard opposite the ground,when the match was finished it would take us half an hour to find the backyard,all those back jiggers looked the same.Even in those days of long ago it was a privilege to go to Anfield and support the greatest club in the world and I will be forever grateful that I was born a RED.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #99: Oct 13, 2009 09:58:15 pm
      My mam used to smear butter on all head injuries and in the summer she made her own suntan oil by mixing vinegar and castor oil,basically basting me before I went out.Mealtimes evoke lots of memories.We never had a car,as my dad didn't drive, but we had a grocer's van round our council estate Mondays and Thursdays,( it was an old sharrabang converted for the purpose).My mam did most of her shopping from this, so once the weekend leftovers were gone, it was blind scouse midweek and with meat in at weekend.Thursday was special as my nan bought me a pork chop for me tea from her pension money, God I loved that woman.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #100: Oct 13, 2009 10:01:55 pm

Well, I hope he didn't actually mean "sh*t".
      robbyr
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #101: Oct 13, 2009 11:00:32 pm
      YES, thats the damn things, i might try to find some in asda, or do i need a time machine.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #102: Oct 13, 2009 11:05:51 pm
      YES, thats the damn things, I might try to find some in asda, or do I need a time machine.

No mate, you can get the 14.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 471 posts | 20 
      Reply #103: Oct 13, 2009 11:17:25 pm
      Does anyone remember Spanish Gold?
      robbyr
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #104: Oct 13, 2009 11:19:31 pm
      get the 14 the 18 goes past ours...is the 14 still in existance or a crosville bus

i dont remember spanish gold , but i do remember black morrocan.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #105: Oct 13, 2009 11:20:30 pm
      The 18? What road do you live on?

What's Spanish Gold? I thought it was FT9 ;)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #106: Oct 14, 2009 12:19:01 am
      Does anyone remember Spanish Gold?
      Yes mate, they came in a little white cotton bag, with yellow chewing gum inside in the shape of gold nuggets.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #107: Oct 14, 2009 12:37:12 am
      "The Pink" on a Saturday night, we used to queue outside the papershop waiting for it to arrive, even if we'd been the game, because of the photos of the goals.Also we followed the amateur and semi pro leagues as well, Marine was always my favorite.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #108: Oct 14, 2009 12:49:51 am
      "The Pink" on a Saturday night, we used to queue outside the papershop waiting for it to arrive, even if we'd been the game, because of the photos of the goals.Also we followed the amateur and semi pro leagues as well, Marine was always my favorite.

I remember "The Pink".  Used to go with my dad to pick it up after he came back from doing his rounds of the Clwyd League games.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #109: Oct 14, 2009 12:59:07 am
      Get the pink then down the chippy for supper and watch the telly until Kenneth Wolstenholme did match of the day.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 471 posts | 20 
      Reply #110: Oct 14, 2009 11:58:48 am
      Yes mate, they came in a little white cotton bag, with yellow chewing gum inside in the shape of gold nuggets.

Sorry gareth - they where gold nugget's

Spanish Gold was coconut flavoured rolling tobbacco for kids and it used to make the ends of your fingers brown.

[url][Spanish Gold - Sweet Tobacco
      A popular and traditional sweet that had disappeared years ago and is now back! These coconut strips are generously dusted in coco powder and sugar!
      Soft / Crumbly 
      Price £1.30   
      Size 100g   
      Quantity   

/url]   

Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #111: Oct 14, 2009 06:43:27 pm
      Lucky bags, Jubilee's, Sterri Milk, Steerie's that you made yourself, going on holiday to Robin Hood camp in Rhyl, Camping out in the back garden, Kenny scoring at the Kop end, collecting bommie wood in September, Crosville busses, stilts that we made ourselves with two poles and blocks of wood, games of kingy, alleo, three jolly welshmen and catch the girl kiss the girl, being terrified of the local copper and especially the Parish Priest! Building dens on any available waste ground, homemade chips cooked in proper beef dripping........ I'll shut up again now!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #112: Oct 15, 2009 12:06:42 am
      Lucky bags, Jubilee's, Sterri Milk, Steerie's that you made yourself, going on holiday to Robin Hood camp in Rhyl, Camping out in the back garden, Kenny scoring at the Kop end, collecting bommie wood in September, Crosville busses, stilts that we made ourselves with two poles and blocks of wood, games of kingy, alleo, three jolly welshmen and catch the girl kiss the girl, being terrified of the local copper and especially the Parish Priest! Building dens on any available waste ground, homemade chips cooked in proper beef dripping........ I'll shut up again now!
      Keep going Aidan mate.Sterrie milk was the reason I didn't drink tea till I left home(coffee wasn't an option unless you count "Camp").We went to Towyn every year for holidays and stayed in the same caravan.The problem in collecting bommie wood so early, was defending it from being robbed,our gang had an elaborate relocation and surveillance plan, and any f*cker who got caught stealing was severely dealt with.My mum was a staunch Catholic so any injuries I sustained fighting(and there were many especially as a result of brick lobbing fights0,resulted in me going to casualty in the local Catholic hospital, run by Nuns.Many a time I have come from there with a wedge of cotton wool stitched to my head, only to have to go back a week later to have it removed with a low level of care and attention,happy days.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #113: Oct 15, 2009 08:02:39 am
       Who remembers when we had 3 newspapers printed in Liverpool, there was the Daily Post,the Echo  and the Evening Express.On a Saturday we used to get the football Echo and if the Reds had done well we would get the Evening Express as well.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #114: Oct 15, 2009 08:13:02 am
      I was born in the midlands and our version was called 'the pink 'un' we later moved to yorkshire (Barnsley) and their's was called 'the Green 'un' I bet you can't guess what colour they were ? :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply