Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Outcome against Portsmouth?

Another three points for the reds thanks!
      41 (85.4%)
      Tricky... we'll nab a draw
      7 (14.6%)
      Oh dear - curse of Pompey will strike again
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2007 11:09:23 am

Portsmouth v Liverpool (Sat 15th Sep - 12.45pm)

Read 7781 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Portsmouth v Liverpool (Sat 15th Sep - 3pm)
      Reply #23: Sep 11, 2007 07:52:58 pm
      Actually is this game at 3pm or is it at 12:45? Anybody confirm?

12:45 on Setanta.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #24: Sep 11, 2007 09:56:36 pm

Umm I think not chuck. Its on sky sprots at 12.45 ya dumb redneck. Oh and btw did I happen to mention

SKY SPORT IS F***ing FREE THIS WEEKEND FOR EVERYONE SO GET THE F***ing BEERS YEAH!!!!!!!!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #25: Sep 11, 2007 10:49:29 pm
      Masch jet lagged, Gerard tired, Has finnan recovered from his injury with Ireland?  Under normal cicumstances I would say we would win this 2-0 at least following our impresive start. Now I think it will be a bit of a closer game. James hasn't hit top form yet this season so I will still go for a narrow win for us. 1-0 or 2-1
      wilko1977
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Re: Portsmouth v Liverpool (Sat 15th Sep - 12.45pm)
      Reply #26: Sep 11, 2007 11:01:08 pm
      I will be watching in thailand... enjoy the south coast boys
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #27: Sep 12, 2007 12:09:59 pm
      Umm I think not chuck. Its on sky sprots at 12.45 ya dumb redneck. Oh and btw did I happen to mention

SKY SPORT IS f***ing FREE THIS WEEKEND FOR EVERYONE SO GET THE f***ing BEERS YEAH!!!!!!!!

Really? I could have sworn they were advertising it on Setanta!

sh*t your right! Just checked! Its on Sky Sports 1.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 12:14:10 pm by paulrobbo »
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #28: Sep 12, 2007 12:56:15 pm
      I think the score will be 2-1 to us. As great as we are doing at the moment, we can't forget how very good James is too!
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #29: Sep 12, 2007 01:09:07 pm
      I think as long as we don't get beat down there it's a good result

Although manure kick off against everton 45 minutes before us and a win will take them top of the league, bad times

Come on Redmen, lets continue the excellent start
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #30: Sep 12, 2007 01:10:55 pm
      I think as long as we don't get beat down there it's a good result

Personally I think anything less than a win is a bad result. I won't accept us losing against anyone, but the only teams I can understand us dropping points against are Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal.
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #31: Sep 12, 2007 01:34:51 pm
      I understand what your saying, we should be beating pompey away if we want to challenge for the title, i'd take one point instead of a defeat
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #32: Sep 12, 2007 01:42:51 pm
      I understand what your saying, we should be beating pompey away if we want to challenge for the title, I'd take one point instead of a defeat

Absolutely, one point is better than none. I think the main thing is our approach to the game, which TBH I don't think should be a problem. I can accept a draw if we were playing like we were trying to win, but if we appear to be holding on for the point then that is unacceptable for me.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #33: Sep 12, 2007 05:31:33 pm
      I'm actually really worried about this match, Gerrard was too tired, McLaren work him out and then comfort us, the fan with this kind of thing:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156954070912-0836.htm

He sure know how furious boss Rafa Benitez and LiverpoolFC's fan about the fact that he push Gerrard out just after his injury recoved. Mascherano too, he must be tired, returning from Australia, most all of our pillars have to play to thiers nationnals teams, so I guess Portsmouth is a real deal now.

I think the lineup will be:

Reina

Finnan                Hyypia                        Agger          Riise/Arbeloa

Pennant       Gerrard/Sissoko       Mascherano/Alonso          Babel

Kuyt              Torres/Voronin

About the score, I hope LiverpoolFC will win, 2-1 will do.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #34: Sep 13, 2007 10:42:21 am
      I didn't see the Derby game as i was in T'gypt so i dont know if the score flattered us or we are in red hot form, going on previous games and increasing confidence that we will actually make a fight of the title this year i am going for a 2-1 win with Torres and a JAR rocket to take the points.
      Granted i have never liked going down to Pompey as they are never easy games, but if we can keep building on the good start we have made then self belief will continue to grow especially if we nick 3 points from tricky games like this one.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #35: Sep 13, 2007 11:10:48 am
      Good to have you back Glenbuck. :)

Will we be able to look forward to more of your excellent comments on the site, you have been truly missed.

Welcome back 8)
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #36: Sep 13, 2007 11:32:04 am
      Welcome back Glenbuck

Just in time to set a couple of quiz questions for Friday ;)
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #37: Sep 13, 2007 11:49:00 am
      Good to have you back Glenbuck. :)

Will we be able to look forward to more of your excellent comments on the site, you have been truly missed.

Welcome back 8)

Im touched, yes i know you new that already but many thanks anyway love ;)

Welcome back Glenbuck

Just in time to set a couple of quiz questions for Friday ;)

You swine Venners and here's me only just out the Priory due to the last Quiz! youve got more chance of Amy Winehouse doing a quiz mate ;D
      Cy
      Reply #38: Sep 13, 2007 12:31:37 pm
      Glad to read you again Glenbuck.

I also would leave Gerrard out of this one, as a few of you mentioned Mascherano can cope defensively although I would prefer Alonso to MOMO in the middle just for the pass quality. we will have to play with a hight tempo straight on and with an early goal it should be okay.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #39: Sep 13, 2007 12:58:31 pm
      From .tv our last 5 results away to Pompey

Portsmouth 2-1 Liverpool
      Premiership – April 2007

With a top four spot already in the bag and a Champions League semi-final against Chelsea just days away, Rafa Benitez opted to leave Messrs Gerrard, Carragher and Reina on Merseyside. In came Emiliano Insua for his Reds debut, as well as departing legends Jerzy Dudek and Robbie Fowler. The latter hit the back of the net on 11 minutes, only to be denied by the linesman, and it was Pompey who led at the break thanks to goals from Mwaruwari Benjani and Niko Kranjcar. A Sami Hyypia header narrowed the deficit on 58 minutes but a couple of fine saves from David James late on meant Liverpool headed back up the M3 empty handed.

Portsmouth 1-3 Liverpool
      Premiership – May 2006

Liverpool's 10th win on the bounce meant they'd achieved their highest ever points total in the Premiership. The result was secured thanks to goals from Robbie Fowler, Peter Crouch and Djibril Cisse, though the game was marred by the sight of Xabi Alonso being carried from the pitch after falling awkwardly. The Spaniard was now a doubt for the following week's FA Cup final in Cardiff.

Portsmouth 1-2 Liverpool
      FA Cup – January 2006

Rafa's Reds ensured their name would be in the fifth round draw with first-half strikes from skipper Steven Gerrard and John Arne Riise. The opener came when Pompey captain Dejan Stefanovic handled in the box on 36 minutes. His Liverpool counterpart made no mistake from the spot. Minutes later Riise beat Dean Kiely with a terrific left-foot strike from the edge of the area. A second-half effort from Sean Davis roused the Fratton Park faithful, and though Stefanovic then came a little too close with a curling free-kick, the visitors proved too resilient. Next up on the road to Cardiff were Manchester United.

Portsmouth 1-2 Liverpool
      Premiership – April 2005

Liverpool made sure they stayed within touching distance of fourth-placed Everton following goals from Fernando Morientes and Luis Garcia. The visitors were in front after just four minutes when John Arne Riise caused havoc with a right-wing cross. Morientes was in the right place at the right time to make it the worst possible start for new Pompey boss Alain Perrin. His side did manage a slight reprieve before half-time through Diomansy Kamara, though a fine header from five-foot-seven of football heaven (his 12th goal of the season) ensured the points were going to Merseyside.

I always thought our away form at pompey wasnt that good 4 out of 5 isnt bad. confident 1-0 crouch the scorer
      bigredarmy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -1 
      Reply #40: Sep 14, 2007 04:07:01 am
      i think finnan's still out injured, anyone got updates?

probable line up, considering fresher legs...

reina
      arbeloa hyypia agger riise
      pennant alonso sissoko babel
      kuyt crouch

predict 1-1 draw...hoping for 2-0 win...
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #41: Sep 14, 2007 07:56:45 am
      Anything less than a win will really be a bad result.if we want to be challenging for the titles then we shouldn't expect to draw these games these are the ones we have to win in order to win the title. Draw just isn't good enough yes they a good team but we are better with more quality in every position so we should win this.If this is our season no excuses will accepted on games like these.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #42: Sep 14, 2007 08:32:01 am
      I heard on the news this morning that Rafa was again complaining about having to play Pompey in the early kick off tomorrow after a week of internationals.

I understand where he is coming from.  There is no time to train the team in preparation for the game and properly assess the knocks, strains and fitness of the returning players.  But I do wonder if there is also a little bit of psychology going on here.  Could it be that the message to Pompey is that they can relax as we will not be at our best?

Just a thought. >:D   
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #43: Sep 15, 2007 12:00:26 am
      Latest news for the match.

REFEREE
      Mike Riley (Leeds, Yorkshire)

Portsmouth centre-back Sol Campbell, who had groin and hamstring problems, and striker Benjani Mwaruwari (neck) are back.

Recent midfield signing Papa Bouba Diop is also in line to make his debut.

Liverpool expect to have centre-back Jamie Carragher available after a broken rib, while defender Steve Finnan is battling to overcome a knee injury.

Steven Gerrard's broken toe will be assessed after his two outings for England but he should be available.

Portsmouth (from): James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson, Utaka, Muntari, Davis, Taylor, Kanu, Benjani, Lauren, Kranjcar, Mendes, Diop, Nugent, Pamarot, Traore, Hughes, Ashdown.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Hyypia, Riise, Pennant, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko, Babel, Kuyt, Crouch, Torres, Voronin, Finnan, Itandje.

Victory tomorrow would give us 13 points after the first five matches, and make it our best ever start in this league.

We have yet to concede a league goal in open play so far this season. The goals we have let in away to Aston Villa and home to Chelsea were both scored from the penalty spot. Not conceded in 208 minutes (three hours 28 minutes) of Premier League football, since Frank Lampard's spot-kick equaliser on 19 August.

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #44: Sep 15, 2007 12:20:54 am
      I'm looking forard to this game actually think it's another 3 points with Torres getting both.

I'd say we should rest Gerrard but I bet he starts anyway.

Looks like Finnan will be sidelined due to his recent injury so that could prove tricky at the back, but at least Carra is back!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #45: Sep 15, 2007 12:53:23 am
      I hope we have not lost the momentum with the international games. 

Quick Reply