Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)

Read 4425 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)
      Sep 19, 2011 06:20:59 pm

Liverpool to launch bid for Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen

Liverpool are considering another move into the transfer market in January, with Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen the target.

The Reds strengthened their defence by bringing in Jose Enrique from Newcastle United and Sebastian Coates from Nacional last month, but it seems Kenny Dalglish is still not entirely happy.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal were linked with Vertonghen during the summer transfer window, but neither could persuade Ajax to sell.

That may change in the new year, as the Reds are considering making a renewed bid to land the 24-year-old.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/875779-liverpool-to-launch-bid-for-ajax-defender-jan-vertonghen
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2011 09:12:25 pm
      Very good player, similar to Pique and imo will definitely hit "world class" status when he joins a stronger league.

Doubt very much he will leave Ajax for us in January.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,658 posts | 3891 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2011 09:20:43 pm
      Ha. That sounds familiar :)
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #3: Sep 20, 2011 12:55:51 am
      Would love him here.

Great player, I too believe he can be world class.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Sep 20, 2011 03:53:48 am
      Is he RB, CB or LB?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #5: Sep 20, 2011 04:39:50 am
      Would be fantastic he is a CB in the mould of an Agger or Vermalen of Arsenal very very good on the ball.
      Bier
      Reply #6: Sep 20, 2011 05:23:48 am
      Skeptical whether he'd come to us this winter, don't see it happening. One of my favourite players in the dutch league, and without a doubt the best defender in that league. Very good allround defender, technically very gifted. Over the years i've regularly thought to myself that he's too good on the ball to be a central defender. A leader, he's captain at Ajax this season. He's very intelligent, loyal and seems like a great guy.

Jan Vertonghen
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #7: Sep 20, 2011 07:58:56 am

He is a left-footed central defender ... Also very good as a defensive midfielder, and solid at left back ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #8: Sep 20, 2011 08:11:17 am

Liverpool eyeing January swoop for Ajax ace

Liverpool have entered the race to sign Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen.

Vertonghen, 24, was a summer target for Arsenal while Inter Milan have also been tracking his progress.

The Belgian defender has been one of the star performers for Ajax and was watched by a number of scouts during the Champions League game against Lyon last week.

Reports in Holland suggest that Liverpool are now battling Inter Milan to clinch his signature when the transfer window re-opens in January.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is hoping to strengthen his backline and give his side every chance of finishing in the top four this season.

Ajax are determined to keep Vertonghen at the club and will be hoping a lengthy run in the Champions League will persuade him to stay with the Dutch giants.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1116/55/liverpool-eyeing-january-swoop-ajax-ace
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #9: Sep 20, 2011 12:15:34 pm
      Talksport? Talksport say this & its up here. Same source as the paper that shall not be named then. i would love this to happen, but I need something a little more concrete than this.

I might as well start a thread saying we are also linked for a shock swap between Aguero & Carroll
      Bier
      Reply #10: Sep 20, 2011 10:30:59 pm
      100% not happening this winter. 11 days ago he said to local Dutch media: Nobody has to ask me this winter if I'll go, I'm finishing this season at Ajax.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #11: Sep 20, 2011 10:32:47 pm
      100% not happening this winter. 11 days ago he said to local Dutch media: Nobody has to ask me this winter if I'll go, I'm finishing this season at Ajax.

Than again, Suarez has probably said something similar, at the start of last season ...
      Bier
      Reply #12: Sep 20, 2011 10:40:59 pm
      Than again, Suarez has probably said something similar, at the start of last season ...
      Suarez and Vertonghen are two completely different people. I wouldn't call Suarez loyal in any way whatsoever, not to us either. Vertonghen is different, and he's actually from Ajax's youth. And Ajax are doing better than they have in years, he knows that.

And even if he would theoretically consider moving this winter, it wouldn't be to us. He's been clear about wanting to play in a team that can win the CL, and isn't interested in money. For those same reasons he turned down Man City and Valencia past transfer period.
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011 10:55:55 pm by Bier »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #13: Sep 21, 2011 09:24:33 am

Reds linked with Vertonghen

20th Sep 2011

Liverpool are being linked with a January move for highly-rated Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen - but face a battle with Inter Milan.

The 24-year-old Belgium defender was also thought to be on Arsenal and Manchester City's radar last summer but they failed to turn their interest into a concrete offer.

His excellent performances for the Amsterdam club have alerted others to his ability, with scouts from a host of clubs watching him in Champions League action against Lyon last week.

Ajax are determined to keep Vertonghen if they can and much will depend on their progress in the Champions League, Reds boss Kenny Dalglish is looking to add more strength to his backline as he tries to re-establish the side in the top four.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/reds-linked-with-vertonghen
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #14: Jan 06, 2012 02:17:03 pm

Liverpool: potential January transfer targets

Simon Rice
      Friday 06 January 2012

The versatile Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen has been linked with a move to Liverpool, as well as a host of other sides. The 24-year-old primarily plays at centre-back, but can also play on the left-hand side or as a defensive midfielder. Vertonghen is renowned for his willingness to get forward and has scored twice for the Belgian national team. As age catches up with Jamie Carragher and summer recruit Sebastian Coates seemingly not ready for action, £10m rated Vertonghen would be a useful addition.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-potential-january-transfer-targets-6285998.html
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,990 posts | 3061 
      Reply #15: Jan 06, 2012 02:24:42 pm
      Liverpool: potential January transfer targets

Simon Rice
      Friday 06 January 2012

The versatile Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen has been linked with a move to Liverpool, as well as a host of other sides. The 24-year-old primarily plays at centre-back, but can also play on the left-hand side or as a defensive midfielder. Vertonghen is renowned for his willingness to get forward and has scored twice for the Belgian national team. As age catches up with Jamie Carragher and summer recruit Sebastian Coates seemingly not ready for action, £10m rated Vertonghen would be a useful addition.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-potential-january-transfer-targets-6285998.html

Boy the Independent are p#ssing me off this week - who said Coates was "seemingly not ready for action"?

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #16: Jan 06, 2012 06:15:33 pm
      Boy the Independent are p#ssing me off this week

Keep away from the Winter Transfer Board then, Mac_Red has posted a Simon Rice paragraph in every single transfer thread!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #17: Jan 06, 2012 10:16:44 pm
      Even if we got him would be hard to break into the Back four we have know.He is a good player will he come to us in Jan and wait for one of our defenders to get injured????
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 06, 2012 10:24:16 pm
      Can he play as a defensive mid?
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #19: Jan 07, 2012 02:53:50 am
      Yes
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #20: Jan 07, 2012 03:24:26 am
      As from what I saw Coates against Oldham last night, I'd very please if we sign this Jan Vertonghen. If my memory is anything right I remember Dexter also quite rated this lad.
      And as someone posted above he can play LB and DM so it's really positive. We need someone reliable when Skrtel/Agger/Enrique need a rest or get injure and compete with Spearo for DM.

I know we have youngsters to step up but we always aim for league title and UCL and all competitions winner so a quality versatile player like this is a must for our team.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #21: Jan 07, 2012 04:17:44 am
      As from what I saw Coates against Oldham last night, I'd very please if we sign this Jan Vertonghen. If my memory is anything right I remember Dexter also quite rated this lad.
      And as someone posted above he can play LB and DM so it's really positive. We need someone reliable when Skrtel/Agger/Enrique need a rest or get injure and compete with Spearo for DM.

I know we have youngsters to step up but we always aim for league title and UCL and all competitions winner so a quality versatile player like this is a must for our team.
      Let's be fair to Coates though. He had a rough match today but he hasn't been getting match time. He was voted Best Young Player at Copa America and should be fantastic for us for 10 years.  But he needs cup matches and occasional late-game subs to shake the rust off and improve.

Back to Vertonghen... Luis played with him right? So I'd think we have a good assessment of how he could fit in here.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #22: Jan 07, 2012 01:56:00 pm
      I'm agree what you say about Coates soxfan mate I just believe the lad need time to adapt and improve his game and I can't help always nervous about Agger's injuries and think if the club can get a good versatile player it's just positive.

Anyway I'm still doubt this Jan Vertonghen lad will decide to join us if no guarantee of his first team football.

Or who know we try to get him then the next one is his Belgium teammate Hazard ... ha ha

Quick Reply