Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid -> Man City)

Read 320735 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid -> Man City)
      Reply #3312: Sep 14, 2011 07:52:37 pm
      :'(

Who's searching for talent at Athletico? Bring him here!!!

We were in for Aguero before Athletico were mate. We just couldn't match their offer. I think we stalled at about £12million while Athletico eventually paid around £17million (not sure if Euros or Pounds)

my first ever post on a football forum was to say we should buy Aguero and Joaquin (whatever happened to him ?) We signed Kuyt and Pennant instead .... but on the bright side they were cheaper.

Money can buy success , but not always, you have to buy the right players. Although Citeh seem to have got around that problem by just buying every player they can.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #3313: Sep 14, 2011 09:13:26 pm
      It bought Blackburn and Chelsea the Premier league and will inevitably buy City the league as well, I think money does buy success to be honest

Look where Blackburn are now though. If and when Chelsea and Man City's new owners leave/sell up they also could go the same way.

Money can buy short term success but can also be to the long term detriment of the club.

I haven't seen too much of Aguero at City so far but he will be an excellent signing for them just a pity he seems to go for this type of move although it could be that Athletico took the best offer for the club and he was happy to sign for a club in the European Cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3314: Sep 18, 2011 03:25:04 pm
      Just scored again
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3315: Sep 18, 2011 05:00:05 pm
      Five European Cups, 18 League titles and some of the greatest players ever to grace any English football field, remind me again exactly who the f**k are Man City?
      Happiness, my arse.

Exactly.
      Is Right.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3316: Sep 19, 2011 09:49:06 pm
      Just been thinking to myself, Aguero is going to totally smash Torres' record of goals in a debut season for a foreign player. Fernando got 24 but Aguero already has 8!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #3317: Sep 20, 2011 01:30:50 pm
      This guy's a beast. Has to be the fastest 8 goals for a new player. (I'm not sure though)

He'll cross 25 this season IMO.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3318: Sep 20, 2011 02:00:47 pm
      I'm shock that he's settled in so quick as he's wasn't "prem proven" and a "lightweight".
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #3319: Sep 20, 2011 06:01:55 pm

Nah, i get the whole historic stuff, I was only saying that we would all be happy if we had had the money to buy Aguero and pay his wages just to see him score 8 goals in 5 games? I would've been happy. I don't give a F**k about Man City, but I like Aguero.

Is wrong.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3320: Sep 23, 2011 09:35:26 pm
      City star idolised Owen

Manchester City star Sergio Aguero has admitted he was inspired to move to England by Manchester United's Michael Owen.

While growing up in Argentina, Aguero kept a keen eye on the Premier League as Owen burst onto the scene with Liverpool.

City's record signing was 10 when he watched Owen score his wonder goal against Argentina at the 1998 World Cup.

And although Aguero left home for Spain's Atletico Madrid in 2006, he claims he always wanted to play in England.

"I watched the Premier League on television," he told the Manchester Evening News. "I prefer it to La Liga and Serie A.

"I loved Michael Owen. I always followed him at Liverpool. That's why I started watching the Premier League.

Different style

"Obviously the style of play here is different to Spanish football but I will adapt as quickly as possible and try to be fully focused during training sessions."

While Owen may have first attracted Aguero to English football, it was compatriots Pablo Zabaleta and Carlos Tevez that helped convince him to make the move to the Premier League.

And having hit eight goals in his first five Premier League games, the 23-year-old has admitted the chance to work with manager Roberto Mancini was also a major factor in his decision to move to the Etihad Stadium.

"I spoke a lot to Pablo Zabaleta and Carlitos and they gave me some insights into the city and the club and in general about things over here," he said.
      Experience

"I can learn from Roberto Mancini's experience as a striker. He will be able to help me. Now I hope I can fulfil what he has taught me and show that on the pitch.

"I don't feel any pressure," Aguero added. "I hope I can do the things I've always done from the time I started at Independiente, then at Atletico.

"Now that I am with City I want to keep on in the same manner.

"There is a good squad and Roberto knows how to put the team together. In the meantime, we just follow his instructions out on the pitch."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11679_7196547,00.html

I wonder if he would've joined us if we bidded for him.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #3321: Sep 23, 2011 09:37:44 pm
      I wonder if he would've joined us if we bidded for him.

When?

We can't afford his wages now. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3322: Sep 23, 2011 09:41:33 pm
      When?

We can't afford his wages now.  

Just talking in past tense :)

and as for wages, what is he on now? 175k? I wonder, if we bidded and offered... say, 100k-120k? he would've considered it....who knows?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3323: Sep 23, 2011 10:35:57 pm
      I wonder if there is some sort of clause in his contract that allows him to leave for a set price should City not win the League within the next 2 seasons or fail to make it to the Champions League Final?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3324: Sep 23, 2011 10:38:02 pm
      I wonder if there is some sort of clause in his contract that allows him to leave for a set price should City not win the League within the next 2 seasons or fail to make it to the Champions League Final?

Planning ahead 7kk7?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3325: Sep 23, 2011 10:51:20 pm
      The one thing I have in common with Aguero - I idolised Owen as well. Gerrard, Murphy, Carragher but especially Owen was the reason I started following Liverpool. But that was a long time ago now. Still gutted that he left the way he did in 2004.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3326: Sep 23, 2011 10:53:46 pm

Well you know, what with our owner's latest news ;)
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #3327: Sep 25, 2011 03:08:49 pm
      We just cleared 30m off the wage bill this summer why couldnt we pay him 175k hes worth it imo

Him and suarez wouldve been awesome.. how about not buying hendo and using the money to pay agueros wages . Id gladly swap that
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #3328: Sep 25, 2011 03:11:30 pm
      We just cleared 30m off the wage bill this summer why couldnt we pay him 175k hes worth it imo

Because unfortunately we just can't compete financially with City. Say pay him £175,000 and city would of just offered him £250,000 without blinking, could we?
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #3329: Sep 25, 2011 03:26:11 pm
      Because unfortunately we just can't compete financially with City. Say pay him £175,000 and city would of just offered him £250,000 without blinking, could we?

At least we would have tried instead of accepting a lot of second rate players. Also maybe 175k wouldve been enough probably not having CL would be more of a deciding factor.

If we've achieved most of our summer targets than i think weve aimed too low yet have spent quite a lot.

Cant see a logical argument why we couldnt have went for him or someone of his calibre. I do understand a squad is needed not just a team of 11 but an average squad or an awesome starting 11??

Hell i dont even agree that the players we've bought can be sold on for more or even the same with the exception of suarez.. the only one we dont want to sell.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3330: Sep 25, 2011 04:07:16 pm
      At least we would have tried instead of accepting a lot of second rate players. Also maybe 175k wouldve been enough probably not having CL would be more of a deciding factor.

Who says we didn't, we could very well have enquired & realised he wouldn't come for a multitude of reasons, including we couldn't afford his wages.  I really thought, especially after the H&G era, our fans had become more financially aware & some realism had crept in.

Quick Reply