Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

FIFA Womens World Cup 2007 (China)

Read 7374 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      FIFA Womens World Cup 2007 (China)
      Sep 12, 2007 07:34:36 am
      Aya Miyama was the hero for Japan as her injury-time free-kick earned the Asian side a 2-2 draw with England in a dramatic Group A encounter in Shanghai. England looked to have won the game after Kelly Smith's two quick-fire goals on 81 and 83 minutes, but Miyama, who had earlier fired Japan in front from another free-kick, came to their rescue.

After a goalless first period, Miyama's first dead-ball effort after 55 minutes precipitated a period of sustained England pressure, which was capped when Player of the Match Kelly Smith struck twice. That looked enough for England until Miyama, with the game's last kick, drove the ball past Rachel Brown to give Japan their first ever point against European opposition at the FIFA Women's World Cup.

The sides are both next in action in Shanghai on Friday, when Japan take on Argentina and England face the early group leaders Germany.

Player of the Match: Kelly Smith

England played well, I saw part of the match, think it was on BBC 2, I will have to look it up what time they play germany.

Did anybody else see it?
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 06:22:55 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,594 posts | 6926 
      Re: FIFA Womens World Cup 2007 (China)
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2007 06:24:16 pm
      I didn't see it myself - bit late for me but if they are planning on running some kind of highlights show then that would be something I'd watch.

I'd give the BBC a big up for showing the games, but then they are on at a convenient time for them.

Would they play them if they were on at teatime?  Probably not.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2007 06:57:39 pm
      There's highlights tonight BBC2, 11:50 - 12:35. Might give it a watch for football purposes, obviously....
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Sep 14, 2007 04:29:11 pm
      Methinks we need some pictures of the stars of this World Cup, and I'm not neccessarily talking about the best players ;D
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #4: Sep 14, 2007 07:02:49 pm
      Methinks we need some pictures of the stars of this World Cup, and I'm not neccessarily talking about the best players ;D
      To the hot women thread!!!!
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Sep 15, 2007 05:19:15 pm
      England frustrated Germany's much-vaunted attack to earn a goalless draw against the world champions at the Shanghai Hongkou Football Stadium.

After their tournament-record 11-0 win over Argentina, Germany found England an altogether tougher proposition although this draw was still enough to keep them top of Group A on four points, ahead of Japan on goal difference.

England had lost 16 of their 17 previous meetings with their European rivals but they were the brighter team in the first half. With chances scarce, however, the closest they came to a goal was via a mistake by Germany goalkeeper Nadine Angerer, who was beaten by the bounce of the ball on the edge of the box. Fortunately for the custodian, the ball ran away from Kelly Smith and behind to safety.

Germany dominated possession after the break but only in the closing stages did they find any holes in the resolute England defence. However, England goalkeeper stood firm, smothering Birgit Prinz's low shot on 73 minutes and nine minutes later saving Kerstin Garefrekes' drive with her feet.

Germany now need only a point from their final group fixture against Japan in Hangzhou on Monday to qualify for the quarter-finals. England, who are third with two points, need to beat Argentina in Chengdu to have a chance of advancing.

Player of the Match: Faye White (ENG)
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #6: Sep 16, 2007 07:15:42 pm
      Englands next match is on Monday night against Argentina at 1pm.

A win by 2 clear goals will be good enough for England to qualify for the quater finals.
      The latest table :-

P   W   D   L   F   A   GD PTS
      1 Germany       2    1   1   0   11  0   11  4
      2 Japan           2    1   1   0    3   2    1   4
      3 England        2    0   2   0    2   2    0   2
      4 Argentina     2    0   0   2    0  12   -12 0

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #7: Sep 16, 2007 09:30:41 pm
      Englands next match is on Monday night against Argentina at 1pm.

A win by 2 clear goals will be good enough for England to qualify for the quater finals.
      The latest table :-

P   W   D   L   F   A   GD PTS
      1 Germany       2    1   1   0   11  0   11  4
      2 Japan           2    1   1   0    3   2    1   4
      3 England        2    0   2   0    2   2    0   2
      4 Argentina     2    0   0   2    0  12   -12 0

Is that monday night our time tommo ?  1pm there ??
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #8: Sep 16, 2007 09:32:56 pm
      Sorry smiggs, it's 1pm our time.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Sep 16, 2007 09:39:18 pm
      Sorry smiggs, it's 1pm our time.

Buggar, will miss it,   >:(
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Sep 17, 2007 05:45:32 pm
      Well, England are in the quarters. They walloped Argentina 6-1!! Well done girls!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #11: Sep 17, 2007 05:49:04 pm
      Well, England are in the quarters. They walloped Argentina 6-1!! Well done girls!

Phwoar think of all those hot sweaty and excited English women football players, and probably drunk !!
      Well done girls.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Sep 17, 2007 05:52:59 pm
      Phwoar think of all those hot sweaty and excited English women football players, and probably drunk !!
      Well done girls.

I was thinking of that all day my friend!  ;) Sure there must have been some decent celebrations going on in the changies after that killing of Argentina!  :o
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Sep 17, 2007 06:23:48 pm
      Well done Girls......Show the men how to do it properly. 8)

Girl Power ;)
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #14: Sep 22, 2007 02:31:23 pm
      World Cup Finals 2007
      Group A
      1pm (8pm local time), Monday 17 September 2007
      Chengdu Sports Centre, Chengdu

Hope Powell admitted that she was pleased with her players performance in reaching the quarter finals, but also said she is now looking forward to the prospect of trying to reach the last four.

Having drawn their opening two games with Japan and Germany, England knew that a win by more than two clear goals would guarantee their place in Tianjin on Saturday, and they made more than sure of the result by banging in six goals.

Powell said: "It's very easy when you come into a game such as this as favourites to look ahead of the match. There was a clear message to concentrate and be very diligent in their approach.

"I think they did that for the majority of the game and overall we deserved the victory."

Looking ahead to the potential opponents, with USA and North Korea in the frame, Powell said that she would relish any challenge that England may face up against.

"I think the side have worked really hard, certainly in the last two years, and they've progressed very well. We've proved that already in this tournament and if it is the United States we face then that is a challenge we will relish.

"They are one of the favourites, and clearly if we play them we will go in as the underdogs, that I think we will thrive on."

Powell explained after the match that she was pleased with the finishing against Argentina, as the Three Lions ran in six goals in their third World Cup game.

"I'm pleased we're creating so many chances and obviously six goals tonight is very pleasing.

"Kelly is now leading goalscorer alongside Birgit Prinz which is fantastic for her. We've proved we can score goals but certainly as we progress towards the latter stages, at international level chances are few and far between and we'll need to be more clinical."

Kick off today 1pm and the match is on BBC.
      Come you girls, have a good day.
      O,Dear England 3-0 down, about 18mins to play
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Sep 27, 2007 04:24:27 pm
      USA Women 0-4 Brazil Women

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/women/7015040.stm

Brazil caused a major surprise by earning a place in the Women's World Cup final at the expense of USA.

The US, who had not lost for 51 games, went a goal behind when Leslie Osborne inexplicably headed into her own net.

The superb Marta then cut inside and drilled in, before the US were reduced to 10 when Shannon Boxx was unlucky to be sent off for a second booking.

Christiane slotted in and Marta sealed it with a brilliant solo goal, cutting in from the left and rifling home.

The victory sets Brazil up for a final clash with Germany in Shanghai on Sunday, with live coverage on BBC Two at 1245 BST and live updates on this website.

Who reckons Brazil will sort the Germans out in the final then? Sounds like they done the USA in today and they're meant to be pretty good. USA knocked England out easily.
      I wonder how many Brazilian women footballers look like Diana Ross?  ;D ;D ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Sep 27, 2007 04:39:16 pm
      More like, how many Brazilian women footballers look like Ronaldinho ?  :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Sep 27, 2007 04:46:25 pm
      More like, how many Brazilian women footballers look like Ronaldinho ?  :D

That's exactly what I meant Smiggs! hence the  ;D ;D ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: Sep 27, 2007 04:48:20 pm
      That's exactly what I meant Smiggs! hence the  ;D ;D ;D

bit slow today RK !!  why didnt I get on to that, cos thats what i normally call him, must be too near home time and iim getting excited !!  :D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #19: Sep 27, 2007 04:53:19 pm
      Watched the last... 2 minutes.

They got stuffed,  USA women are sh*te & they managed to beat our national womens side.  No offense to all you lasses on the forum!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Sep 27, 2007 04:57:35 pm
      bit slow today RK !!  why didnt I get on to that, cos thats what I normally call him, must be too near home time and iim getting excited !!  :D

Not like you there Smiggs! :o Sneak off work early...

Yeah, the USA womens side kicked England womens teams arse didn't they Court. Who you reckon will win it then on Sunday?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #21: Sep 27, 2007 04:59:10 pm
      Imagine all those brazillians to look at in the shower  :laugh:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Sep 27, 2007 05:00:36 pm