Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Hillsborough chief constable Peter Wright dies aged 82

Read 4230 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Sep 22, 2011 10:24:43 am
      THE MAN in charge of South Yorkshire Police at the time of the Hillsborough disaster has died aged 82.

Former Chief Constable Peter Wright held on to his job in the wake of the tragedy, which saw 96 Liverpool fans killed in a crush at a football match in 1989.

In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy Mr Wright had to deal with claims made by his own  force that Liverpool fans had forced open the gate which led to overcrowding in the pens.

His men were also criticised for crowd mismanagement in the subsequent Taylor report, and Mr Wright, who had led the force since 1983 stepped down in 1990.

Current Chief Con Meredydd Hughes said: “Peter Wright led the force through its darkest hours, always demonstrating outstanding personal integrity and commitment.

“He recognised the failures of the force at the Hillsborough disaster and apologised for them, offering his resignation.

“His long and very successful career as a professional and dedicated officer was inevitably overshadowed by the events of that day, but he was resolute in responding to the various enquiries and was always fully supportive of those colleagues more closely involved.

“The force remembers him with respect and affection, and I offer our sympathy to his family and friends.”

Hillsborough campaigner Trevor Hicks, 65, who lost daughters Sarah, 19, and Victoria, 15, in the disaster, said: “I offer my sympathies to Mr Wright’s family but can only comment on him in his professional capacity as the head of the police force operating on the day of the disaster.

“My overriding feeling is one of disappointment in him for not resigning straight away after the disaster. It would have been the honourable thing to have done.”

Peter Wright was also the man in charge of policing of the 1984 miners’ strike.

He died in hospital in York on Saturday after a long illness.
      Link
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2011 02:52:21 pm by Gow »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Re: Hillsborough chief constable Peter Wright dies aged 82
      Reply #1: Sep 22, 2011 01:47:36 pm
      THE MAN in charge of South Yorkshire Police at the time of the Hillsborough disaster has died aged 82.

Former Chief Constable Peter Wright held on to his job in the wake of the tragedy, which saw 96 Liverpool fans killed in a crush at a football match in 1989.

In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy Mr Wright had to deal with claims made by his own  force that Liverpool fans had forced open the gate which led to overcrowding in the pens.

His men were also criticised for crowd mismanagement in the subsequent Taylor report, and Mr Wright, who had led the force since 1983 stepped down in 1990.

Current Chief Con Meredydd Hughes said: “Peter Wright led the force through its darkest hours, always demonstrating outstanding personal integrity and commitment.

“He recognised the failures of the force at the Hillsborough disaster and apologised for them, offering his resignation.

“His long and very successful career as a professional and dedicated officer was inevitably overshadowed by the events of that day, but he was resolute in responding to the various enquiries and was always fully supportive of those colleagues more closely involved.

“The force remembers him with respect and affection, and I offer our sympathy to his family and friends.”

Hillsborough campaigner Trevor Hicks, 65, who lost daughters Sarah, 19, and Victoria, 15, in the disaster, said: “I offer my sympathies to Mr Wright’s family but can only comment on him in his professional capacity as the head of the police force operating on the day of the disaster.

“My overriding feeling is one of disappointment in him for not resigning straight away after the disaster. It would have been the honourable thing to have done.”

Peter Wright was also the man in charge of policing of the 1984 miners’ strike.

He died in hospital in York on Saturday after a long illness.
      Link

Sorry but don't really give a F**k, most of SYP I've ever come across are all horrible bas**rds.

And your link isn't working either!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2: Sep 22, 2011 02:06:47 pm

url=http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/09/22/hillsborough-chief-constable-peter-wright-dies-aged-82-100252-29467556/[/url]Link
      The man was responsible for many peoples darkest hours in the disaster and the miners strike indeed the shadows still affect a good many who long for the justice that was his supposed flagstone.
      Time will be his judge.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #3: Sep 22, 2011 02:52:50 pm
      Link is sorted now.

Quick Reply