Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What makes you proud to be British? (or whatever you are)

Read 7504 times
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      What makes you proud to be British? (or whatever you are)
      Sep 30, 2011 02:43:05 pm
      I'll admit it; I'm a lousy Brit. Despite having my ancestry rooted in England, Scotland AND Northern Ireland, making me as genetically British as I possibly could be whilst still avoiding being even slightly Welsh, I get my food imported from the States, I'm nuts about NFL, I don't like European beer, even my missus is American, although I make no apoligies for that one, everyone likes a girl with an accent, surely (Queens, New York, isn't the most exotic of accents but I like it :p)

But even a traitor to the crown such as myself feels British and proud sometimes

For me, as I live on the coast, it's the smell of fish and chips mixed with sea air. And a full English breakfast and/or a cup of tea in a slightly sh*t cafe, preferably with a hangover

And of course, being in the stands. I haven't been able to make it up to Anfield in quite a few years now due to a nervous disorder but I still go watch my local club play the odd game, even if there's only 40 people watching, footie fans know how to create an atmosphere. That and football ground food

So what about you? Non-Brits too, what makes you proud to be American, Brazilian, Scandanavian, Australian, Irish, Turkish..... oh or Macedonian? ;) (have I missed anyone?)
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011 03:15:04 pm by simolfc »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: What makes you proud to be British? (or whatever you are)
      Reply #1: Sep 30, 2011 02:50:08 pm
      Nothing really...
      but I will drink you under the table, get overly friendly with your female companion and never call her again.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #2: Sep 30, 2011 03:01:05 pm
      Nothing really...
      but I will drink you under the table, get overly friendly with your female companion and never call her again.
      Rule Britannia
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Sep 30, 2011 03:02:01 pm
      The people... and the quality of our football team, of course. But mostly the people. This week I read an interview of a Chilean Flamengo player, and he was saying how much he loved Brazil - that in Chile people were more reserved, but in Brazil they'll welcome you with open arms, no matter where you're from. Petkovic (a Serbian) used to say the same as well - he's retired from football now but continues to live in Rio.  

I once met a Danish guy in a pub here in Rio and we chatted for a while. He told me he was shocked how some girl he just met invited him to her house for Christmas. He said in Denmark you don't even invite your girlfriend to Christmas, only your wife, cause it's a very 'closed' family celebration. Obviously it's an extreme example, and Christmas has its own traditions in each country, but I think it's a decent way to show how different Brazilian people are. They'll embrace you before you realize.  If you're new here, you'll most definitely find people trying to help you. And I think it's something to be proud of.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #4: Sep 30, 2011 03:13:49 pm
      The people... and the quality of our football team, of course. But mostly the people. This week I read an interview of a Chilean Flamengo player, and he was saying how much he loved Brazil - that in Chile people were more reserved, but in Brazil they'll welcome you with open arms, no matter where you're from. Petkovic (a Serbian) used to say the same as well - he's retired from football now but continues to live in Rio. 

I once met a Danish guy in a pub here in Rio and we chatted for a while. He told me he was shocked how some girl he just met invited him to her house for Christmas. He said in Denmark you don't even invite your girlfriend to Christmas, only your wife, cause it's a very 'closed' family celebration. Obviously it's an extreme example, and Christmas has its own traditions in each country, but I think it's a decent way to show how different Brazilian people are. They'll embrace you before you realize.  If you're new here, you'll most definitely find people trying to help you. And I think it's something to be proud of.
      That sounds awesome

AND you've got the world cup in 2014!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Sep 30, 2011 04:15:13 pm
      Feck Britannia.
      Come on Ireland.
      Pouring out of the heavens here.
      Stay in with some wine and the family I think.
      Three birthday parties in two days actually.
      Let's do it.

we wanna be free
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Sep 30, 2011 04:16:57 pm
      Claiming Benefits whilst working & watching Jeremy Kyle.  So proud.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Sep 30, 2011 04:19:19 pm
      Claiming Benefits whilst working & watching Jeremy Kyle.  So proud.  :D
      Earning more on benefits than the hard working families in the same estate
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #8: Sep 30, 2011 06:31:17 pm
      The history, the natural beauties, the great food, the people, the traditions, the unique music.
      There are definitely some things that I don't like about my country, but damn proud of being a Macedonian. 
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #9: Sep 30, 2011 06:36:39 pm

That's from Primal Scream - Loaded. Thank you! :) What film is that from?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Sep 30, 2011 06:38:38 pm
      That's from Primal Scream - Loaded. Thank you! :) What film is that from?

Wild Angels
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #11: Sep 30, 2011 06:41:42 pm
      Cheers! :)

And to stay on topic, the people in general and the craic we have makes me proud to be Irish. Also the fact it's not alcoholism, it's being Irish! :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Sep 30, 2011 06:44:16 pm
      I'm anything but nationalistic but truthfully, when I think about it, as corny as it may seem; I'm proud of the freedom being British gives me and the sense of humour being Irish has instilled in me.
      Bier
      Reply #13: Sep 30, 2011 07:22:42 pm
      I love how small my country, the Netherlands, is, but is still prominent in some areas. Football being one of them. I love my country's ingenuity, thoughout our history we've always been very smart about certain things. We literally made the ground we live on, and I've lived my whole life several meters below sea level. I would like to say that I'm proud of the people here too, but I can't. With the rise of Geert Wilders in recent times I've learned there are many idiots in my country. Judging from the recent polls, at least 20% are idiots! But most people are open minded and progressive.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: Sep 30, 2011 07:30:24 pm
      There are definitely some things that I don't like about my country...

Mac Red?

;D
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #15: Sep 30, 2011 09:59:35 pm
      I'm not particularly patriotic, either about Britain or Scotland. However I would say I'm proud to live in Glasgow. I think for all this cities problems it is a class place to live. And, aside from a minority of less desirable people, I think the people are amazing.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #16: Sep 30, 2011 10:24:20 pm
      I have no idea what you mean, my British English is really bad  :f_whistle:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #17: Sep 30, 2011 10:31:32 pm
      I have no idea what you mean, my British English is really bad  :f_whistle:

Nice swerve. ;)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Sep 30, 2011 10:34:23 pm
      Have to say, I'm not 'proud' to be British.  It makes little sense to me, I don't consider myself part of a British collective and even if I did, I see little to be proud of.  Obviously there are some things I like and admire about Britain, but I wouldn't say I was proud.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: Sep 30, 2011 10:40:27 pm
      What makes me proud to be Scouse and a Liverpudlian is knowing that I'd have the backing of people in the city and beyond should I need it. The support Michael Shields received is a good example of what I mean.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2011 10:50:28 pm
      I'm Scottish and I'm proud of being Scottish. But I'm also very happy to call myself British and am very proud of the history of the country (of course there are some parts of history which I'm not proud of either). I'm proud of the British sense of humour most of all!
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2011 11:26:07 pm
      Nothing really...

I will smash your face into a car windshield, and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Sep 30, 2011 11:46:21 pm
      Dorothy Mantooth is a saint! ;)

Quick Reply