Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 672955 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #138: May 01, 2008 12:19:32 am
      I don't think Gerrard was one of our worst performers tonight. In the first half in particular Arbeloa was very poor and Kuyt and Mascherano gave the ball away too often.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #139: May 01, 2008 12:22:07 am
      Mate did we watch the same F***ing game as me?

Are you just smoking your socks again??

Pinpoint what was wrong with his game? Maybe you were waiting for a 40 yard cracker ffs the man gave his all as always and played that through ball for Torres in the first half which he should have buried. He committed to less challenges and tackles because he was cautious about the yellow.

So it was about him and not the team? Thats how your making it sound. No individual is bigger than the club, and even if Gerrard was on a yellow he shouldn't change his game because once he does that he's only half the player he could be.

What was wrong with his game? His passing, the lack of winning the ball especially in 50/50 situations, the way he used the ball and his lack of involvement.

He's not God you know, he's bound to have a bad game now and then, just that it had to come tonight which was a kick in the nuts.

And no need to get aggressive in your posts, I know you love me but who doesn't? ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #140: May 01, 2008 12:25:20 am
      Ok mate right now isnt the time to bicker with you or anyone.

Lets just say we saw the match through different eyes.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #141: May 01, 2008 12:27:36 am
      Ok mate right now isnt the time to bicker with you or anyone.

Lets just say we saw the match through different eyes.

Thank you, glad your not doing a Richobaz! :)

Everyone see's things differently, and in my opinion Gerrard wasn't the Gerrard I know he can be. He's 28 next month anyway, old man ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #142: May 01, 2008 02:30:07 am
      He's 28 next month anyway, old man ;D

Oi you cheeky little whiper snapper!! Wait til you're 28!  ;) :D

I don't think Gerrard was the Gerrard he can be either. I have to admit I'm alarmed sometimes when we play the likes of chelsea or the mancs and he doesn't seem to turn up like we know he can. But in any game, he'd always be one of the first on the team sheet for me.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #143: May 01, 2008 11:15:48 am
      Thank you, glad your not doing a Richobaz! :)

Everyone see's things differently, and in my opinion Gerrard wasn't the Gerrard I know he can be. He's 28 next month anyway, old man ;D

Gerrard is as much a target as Torres is. The rule in the EPL is, 'You wanna stop Torres, hamper Gerrard first'. I think he played his muscles to a standstill yesterday. He is still the best yet.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #144: May 01, 2008 11:51:12 am
      They didn't stop Gerrard though, he was generally poor whenever he had the ball even. He didn't try the boss the game like we know he can. You can't hamper Gerrard, he's too good for that!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #145: May 01, 2008 01:21:44 pm
      Sad for him last night, glad he is looking to next season and hoping for us to improve and use last night as added motivation for next season.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #146: May 10, 2008 09:35:48 pm
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691512

Gerrard was the subject of surprising transfer rumours this week, with Italian giants Inter Milan reportedly making a £25 million bid for his services.
      However, the Liverpool skipper, who almost signed for Chelsea a couple of years ago before deciding to stay put at the very last moment, says he does not think he will ever leave now.

"I cannot see myself ever leaving Liverpool now, and what I would dearly love is to lead this club to the next level that I believe we are capable of reaching," the twenty-seven-year-old told the club's website.

"I have won trophies here but there is one I am missing and I want that before I finish playing. I do not want to look back and say I have never been in a title race.”
      Maybe next season?

Despite the “we can do it next season” propaganda becoming a regular occurrence when Liverpool players speak to the press after a disappointing league campaign, Gerrard says he has genuine belief that his side are getting closer.

"I can see that the team is getting stronger and stronger and I can see that we are going forward. I feel that we are getting closer and closer [to the title] and I really believe that."

"We always say this every year,” he admitted. “But it will be an important summer because we need to keep the momentum.   
      "The manager's signings will be important as they always are. I have been lucky as a footballer and I've won more things than most players, but I am greedy because I always want more.

"We are a young team with a lot of promise and if the manager can get the right support then we could take an important step forward,.

"We are disappointed we did not maintain a challenge in the league for longer than we did. The points gap between us and the top two is not particularly pleasant viewing for anyone here at Anfield. Our performances this season have seen us take a step forward. But I think there is a hell of a lot more to come from us."
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __________

Now that's Loyalty & Commitment right there. That's why he is the best. Committed to the end.

"I can see that the team is getting stronger and stronger and I can see that we are going forward. I feel that we are getting closer and closer [to the title] and I really believe that."

The above comment is very mature and brilliant.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #147: May 10, 2008 09:50:28 pm
      Inter milan 25 million what a F***ing insult
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #148: May 10, 2008 09:52:21 pm
      Inter milan 25 million what a F***ing insult

i dont see how its an insult if i were the inter milan manager the first position i would look towards is Cm, and the first player he looked at was stevie, so its more of a compliment to stevie than an insult to him IMO
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #149: May 10, 2008 09:55:09 pm
      I dont see how its an insult if I were the inter milan manager the first position I would look towards is Cm, and the first player he looked at was stevie, so its more of a compliment to stevie than an insult to him IMO

i think he finds it insulting because of the price they want to pay for him, rather than anything else.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #150: May 10, 2008 09:57:06 pm
      I think he finds it insulting because of the price they want to pay for him, rather than anything else.

yea but you may aswell test the water thats all manchini was doing and he found out that its not going to happen. but i can see what he means yea
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #151: May 10, 2008 09:57:27 pm
      Villa want 20 mil for Barry ...
      Inter offer 25 for Stevie ..
      Sorry in my eyes its a F***ing insult
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #152: May 10, 2008 10:00:32 pm
      Villa want 20 mil for Barry ...
      Inter offer 25 for Stevie ..
      Sorry in my eyes its a F***ing insult

yea im going to refer to my testing the water scenario again, it was more of a conditional offer in my opinion he just wanted to see what would happen or if he would get a figure that would be accepted. Turns out he got nothing but a simple no, and im sure he expected that, but im not going to say its insulting to quote a cliche "cant blame a guy for trying" :P
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #153: May 10, 2008 10:02:31 pm
      I think he finds it insulting because of the price they want to pay for him, rather than anything else.

I'd expected say 37 million pounds. He ranks in the top 5 worldwide IMO.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #154: May 10, 2008 10:35:51 pm
      I'd expected say 37 million pounds. He ranks in the top 5 worldwide IMO.

Rafa said that he's priceless i think :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #155: May 11, 2008 08:47:13 pm
      Rafa said that he's priceless I think :D

He certainly is priceless.......the life and soul of Liverpool, along with Jamie C.  ;)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #156: May 18, 2008 11:58:42 pm
      http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=770477.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Gerrard tells owners to spend
      (AFP) Sunday 18 May 2008

Steven Gerrard has pleaded with Liverpool's owners to give Rafa Benitez the cash he needs to turn the Anfield club into serious Premier League title challengers. Benitez's side finished eight points behind champions Manchester United as their barren run without a league title extended to 18 years.

Although Liverpool once again proved they can compete with the best in Europe by reaching the Champions League semi-finals, they never threatened to win the English championship.

Gerrard, 27, is convinced the only way Liverpool can close the gap is to spend big money on top players in the close-season. The England midfielder has told American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett they must give Benitez whatever he needs.

"The manager asks for more support in the transfer market in January, while we're all saying to ourselves this should have happened the previous summer," he told the News of the World.

"The time to act is now, not in January when we're already too far behind. The manager knows where we need to strengthen and the players and fans have faith in Rafa - but he needs the backing to act on his plans.

"When the American owners came to Liverpool they told the players and fans they wanted the same as us. We all believed them when they made that promise and it's been repeated again since, so we're all desperate to see it happen."

"It hurts more and more"
      As Liverpool captain, Gerrard feels more responsibility than most for the team's failure to succeed in the league. He has won every other major honour during his time at Anfield, so it is especially galling that the Reds have repeatedly faded out of the race before the final weeks of the season.

"It hurts more and more when we get to November or December every season and have to accept we're out of the title race again. Every year seems to be following the same routine," he said.

"I've won every major honour at Liverpool except one. It hurts more and more not only to have never won the league, but to have never really gone close. It would be bad enough if we only narrowly missed out on the title, but we've never got to March or April recently and thought we were in contention.

"That's what we want more than anything at Anfield, but we'll only achieve that when everyone is working together for the same goal."
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #157: May 19, 2008 12:05:34 am
      Gerrard says that every summer, or along those lines anyway, we keep talking every summer but ultimately we do nothing on the pitch, I know we are getting closer each year, but for once I just wish that we wouldn't come out with the same things and just do our talking on the pitch.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #158: May 19, 2008 03:27:20 am
      Gerrard says that every summer, or along those lines anyway, we keep talking every summer but ultimately we do nothing on the pitch, I know we are getting closer each year, but for once I just wish that we wouldn't come out with the same things and just do our talking on the pitch.

Gerrard's right though, if we don't sign these players that Rafa is after then we all know who is to blame: H&G. Gerrard is doing what he should be doing, giving the owners some stick. Gerrard's doing what a captain needs to do by speaking the truth and tying to put pressure on the owners. If he didn't open his mouth I'm sure everyone would be saying he hasn't done his job right by keeping his mouth shut and not being a leader.

Gerrard has proved time and time again that he can carry this team on his own to a certain degree, but not to the league title, he needs help just like anyone else would. And as far as I'm concerned Gerrard does let his work on the pitch speak for its self.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #159: May 19, 2008 09:46:09 am
      Gerrard's right though, if we don't sign these players that Rafa is after then we all know who is to blame: H&G. Gerrard is doing what he should be doing, giving the owners some stick. Gerrard's doing what a captain needs to do by speaking the truth and tying to put pressure on the owners. If he didn't open his mouth I'm sure everyone would be saying he hasn't done his job right by keeping his mouth shut and not being a leader.

Gerrard has proved time and time again that he can carry this team on his own to a certain degree, but not to the league title, he needs help just like anyone else would. And as far as I'm concerned Gerrard does let his work on the pitch speak for its self.
      Gerrard does do his speaking on the pitch no doubt, but my point was that every year we hear players and staff etc coming out with the same thing, and I'm sure this summer we will hear other players saying it aswell. Don't know about anyone else but for me it does my nut in! By all the players bigging up our title chances it just causes more expectation which in turn puts the players under pressure, so by my way of thinking (not very clear I know!) if they didn't talk every summer then it would actually help us!!
      RedAndWhiteKop
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 65 posts | -2 
      Reply #160: May 30, 2008 11:19:09 am
      Would you like to see our Skipper as 'The Skipper'?
      or would you rather he had less to focus on England Wise?

Cue the Rage....

Quick Reply