Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 672277 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #4531: Dec 20, 2014 11:53:32 pm
      You realise assists are only given for the final pass and Gerrard starts our play from the back, soft lad?

And you realise that virtually all our play goes through Gerrard, he takes all the penalties and the majority of dead balls?

If he ain't providing comparable assists and goals from his deep lying playmaker role with those advantages then what are we paying him 180k per week for? His defending? His pressing? His game management?

What would be poor stats in your view? Zero assists instead of one?

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4532: Dec 21, 2014 09:28:38 am

And you realise that virtually all our play goes through Gerrard, he takes all the penalties and the majority of dead balls?

If he ain't providing comparable assists and goals from his deep lying playmaker role with those advantages then what are we paying him 180k per week for? His defending? His pressing? His game management?

What would be poor stats in your view? Zero assists instead of one?

If our attackers weren't so sh*t when it comes to attacking dead balls, Stevie would have a lot more assists to his name.
      Once again you're making excuses for getting rid of high earners in the team. I wonder why that could be, part if you're job maybe!!!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4533: Dec 21, 2014 11:53:42 am
      If our attackers weren't so sh*t when it comes to attacking dead balls, Stevie would have a lot more assists to his name.
      Once again you're making excuses for getting rid of high earners in the team. I wonder why that could be, part if you're job maybe!!!

Nope - more than happy to welcome high earners - the more the better.

The only thing I ask is that they earn the wages. No point paying CL wages for mid table performance - I'm surprised you would recommend otherwise.

Looks like you care more about Stevie than the interests of the club.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4534: Dec 21, 2014 12:02:12 pm
      Nope - more than happy to welcome high earners - the more the better.

The only thing I ask is that they earn the wages. No point paying CL wages for mid table performance - I'm surprised you would recommend otherwise.

Looks like you care more about Stevie than the interests of the club.
      And who decides what a player has to be doing to worthy of their wages, it couldn't be left up to the fans that's for sure, fickle fuckers we are!

I'll happily let Gerrard go whenever we have a suitable replacement, maybe Can could be that player, we'll have to wait and see.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,189 posts | 4404 
      Reply #4535: Dec 26, 2014 05:16:02 pm
      Feel a bit sorry for Stevie in that he does not pick the team but his performance are now just becoming embarrassing, any other player would have been long dropped.
      Legacy being well and truly ruined by Rodgers.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4536: Dec 26, 2014 05:21:49 pm
      Feel a bit sorry for Stevie in that he does not pick the team but his performance are now just becoming embarrassing, any other player would have been long dropped.
      Legacy being well and truly ruined by Rodgers.

I agree, his performances are way below par. I think we should replace him with a ball playing midfielder in the summer and gamble on Chirivella or Suso tbh.

I just don't see the point in playing him and Lucas in the middle. I feel Can and Henderson would offer more in both, defensive and attacking.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #4537: Dec 26, 2014 05:24:11 pm
      He has played a lot of football. I have a feeling he can no longer inspire the team with his performances anymore. Verbal inspiration could now work but he is by no means an inspirational speaker.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4538: Dec 26, 2014 05:48:52 pm
      Very quiet today.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4539: Dec 27, 2014 01:17:17 am
      Come on Stevie lad, don;t let your career just fizzle out.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4540: Dec 27, 2014 01:41:20 am
      Needs a rest against Swansea played a couple of through balls but that was it disaster waiting to happen playing with Lucas next to him.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #4541: Dec 27, 2014 02:54:38 am
      Come on Stevie lad, don;t let your career just fizzle out.

might be too late on that one.

Not as if he has much of a choice.  He's 34 and past it.  moving him up the pitch isn't suddenly going to turn him into a speed demon.

I wonder who is slower, him or Lucas?
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #4542: Dec 27, 2014 03:19:22 am
      might be too late on that one.

Not as if he has much of a choice.  He's 34 and past it.  moving him up the pitch isn't suddenly going to turn him into a speed demon.

I wonder who is slower, him or Lucas?
      Lambert?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4543: Dec 27, 2014 11:46:28 am

He past Billy Liddell's  club appearance record today and f**k all was done about.

... and Rodgers gives players books on our history .........   ! ?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4544: Dec 27, 2014 12:15:54 pm
      He past Billy Liddell's  club appearance record today and f**k all was done about.

... and Rodgers gives players books on our history .........   ! ?

Pascoe have him a hand job prior to kick off

Think they wanted to keep it in house though
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #4545: Dec 27, 2014 12:23:09 pm
      Think they wanted to keep it in house though

Takes it out the legs that does, no wonder he wasn't that mobile.

Quiet game for Stevie too.....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4546: Dec 27, 2014 03:32:32 pm
      I was thinking the other day. With Gerrard dwindling , was it because of him playing in so many positions rather than mastering one? Maybe if he did master 1 position, he'd still be going on stronger than ever. Pirlo, Scholes,  Alonso, Lampard and Xavi have pretty much played in the same position their whole careers and there were no signs of them declining as drastic as Gerrard.

Maybe If Gerrard played as a central midfielder throughout his career, honing his passing and positioning skills, maybe he'd still be just as good, if not better than the players I mentioned above and still be commanding that midfield of today? Perhaps given him an extra 2 seasons too.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4547: Dec 27, 2014 05:33:28 pm
      Some players do start to fade before their time, maybe Stevie is just one of them.
      Years ago i was sure Stevie could go on for ever, it'll be sad when he's not part of the squad anymore, but that's football!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4548: Dec 27, 2014 05:43:27 pm
      Some players do start to fade before their time, maybe Stevie is just one of them.
      Years ago i was sure Stevie could go on for ever, it'll be sad when he's not part of the squad anymore, but that's football!

I do agree. Ballack was one, right? his career fizzled out around the same time when he was 33/34? Gerrard was very similar player to Ballack from what I remember.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #4549: Dec 31, 2014 01:27:21 pm
      I think we need to stop trying to force Stevie into the team. If we're playing well with the Hendo/Lucas partnership then "if it ain't broke" comes to mind.

Now Lucas' legs aren't the best either so I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Stevie rotate in and out.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #4550: Dec 31, 2014 02:37:17 pm
      I think we need to stop trying to force Stevie into the team. If we're playing well with the Hendo/Lucas partnership then "if it ain't broke" comes to mind.

Now Lucas' legs aren't the best either so I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Stevie rotate in and out.

The question for me is:  When Lovren is fit, does he come back into the back 3 and push Can into CM with Henderson? I'd love to see those two physically dominating the midfield!!

Also, it will be interesting to see if Allen can up his game in this new system. The primary function of our CM's in this formation is to constantly be finding space to receive the ball and then quickly moving it on to another player. On paper, this should suit Allen's game perfectly, but it will be interesting to see how it actually works out.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #4551: Dec 31, 2014 03:15:08 pm
      The question for me is:  When Lovren is fit, does he come back into the back 3 and push Can into CM with Henderson? I'd love to see those two physically dominating the midfield!!

Also, it will be interesting to see if Allen can up his game in this new system. The primary function of our CM's in this formation is to constantly be finding space to receive the ball and then quickly moving it on to another player. On paper, this should suit Allen's game perfectly, but it will be interesting to see how it actually works out.

Mmm, nice dilemma to have!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4552: Dec 31, 2014 09:52:04 pm
      Finding it hard to see how and why Gerrard should start tomorrow especially after the performance and result on Monday.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,189 posts | 4404 
      Reply #4553: Jan 01, 2015 02:39:20 am
      Finding it hard to see how and why Gerrard should start tomorrow especially after the performance and result on Monday.

Actually tomorrow is the perfect game for Stevie to start and finish around the 60min.
      If he is going to play any any games then the ones at home against inferior opposition is the ones he should be starting and Leicester is the one.

Quick Reply