Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 672495 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy)
      Reply #5382: Oct 05, 2016 05:40:36 pm
      If Jürgen wants him... great, if he doesn't I am sure Gerrard will survive.

Would love to see Gerrard back at Liverpool, but not at any expense, only if there is a role for him and Jürgen wants him for that role...

maybe goalkeeping coach :)
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #5383: Oct 05, 2016 06:03:54 pm
      I really hope Jürgen doesn't feel pressured to find a way to ham-fistedly make Gerrard part of the coaching team. As FMS says, it completely undermines the importance of other coaches. I laugh at how people think coaching roles are mere symbolic, meaningless token positions.

Buvac, Krawietz and Linders are all vital parts of the implementation of coaching methods and scouting reports. I highly doubt Gerrard has expertise of similar quality, and we don't need amateur inexperienced coaches undermining the system at Liverpool. He can start on the bottom rung of the coaching ladder like most coaches - if he's good enough, he will prove it in time and will find a place on the coaching team on merit. But in the coaching world, the cream rises to the top - Klopp, Buvac, Krawietz and co are all proven quality having progressed from the bottom. If Gerrard is slumming it coaching at a lower league team, then so be it - his coaching credentials will not be good enough for Liverpool FC.

Sorry if that sounds unbelievably ruthless, but the only way to success is to be ruthless.

No room for sentimentality, people need to grow up.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #5384: Oct 05, 2016 06:17:22 pm
      So what if he hasn't got all of his cub scout coaching badges yet? Who gives a F**k. Nobody knows this club better than Steven Gerrard does and sometimes that's all you need. I'm sure the likes of Can and Grujic would be thrilled to have Stevie around the place, who better to learn their trade from?. Just having Stevie around telling the younger lads about Istanbul, the Olympiakos goal, the West Ham goal would do wonders. It would make them dream, it would make them want it, make them want to be a Liverpool hero. Stevie would remind them of the importance of derby day, the manc games and so on. He is a leader and is full of passion and thats something we still lack. I'm not saying lets go and make him assistant manager or anything like that by the way but there should always be a place for somebody of Stevies quality here. He will strengthen us whatever role he plays.

As a player? Well he certainly couldn't start in a Jürgen Klopp team that's for sure. But as a super sub I think he'd be great. Who have we got in the squad who can take a decent free kick or a corner?  Even though Milner is burying every penalty recently steven is also deadly at them too. If we're chasing a game I wouldn't mind throwing him on for the last 10 in a free role. Nobody can strike a ball like him.

The only worry I'd have is if his performances were dire then it would be horrible to see him come in for criticism. For that reason, it may be best never to play for us again.

It would be F***ing boss if he did though. HES BIG AND HES F***ing HARD. STE GERRARD GERRARD.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5385: Oct 05, 2016 06:40:08 pm
      So what if he hasn't got all of his cub scout coaching badges yet? Who gives a F**k. Nobody knows this club better than Steven Gerrard does and sometimes that's all you need. I'm sure the likes of Can and Grujic would be thrilled to have Stevie around the place, who better to learn their trade from?. Just having Stevie around telling the younger lads about Istanbul, the Olympiakos goal, the West Ham goal would do wonders. It would make them dream, it would make them want it, make them want to be a Liverpool hero. Stevie would remind them of the importance of derby day, the manc games and so on. He is a leader and is full of passion and thats something we still lack. I'm not saying lets go and make him assistant manager or anything like that by the way but there should always be a place for somebody of Stevies quality here. He will strengthen us whatever role he plays.

As a player? Well he certainly couldn't start in a Jürgen Klopp team that's for sure. But as a super sub I think he'd be great. Who have we got in the squad who can take a decent free kick or a corner?  Even though Milner is burying every penalty recently steven is also deadly at them too. If we're chasing a game I wouldn't mind throwing him on for the last 10 in a free role. Nobody can strike a ball like him.

The only worry I'd have is if his performances were dire then it would be horrible to see him come in for criticism. For that reason, it may be best never to play for us again.

It would be F***ing boss if he did though. HES BIG AND HES F***ing HARD. STE GERRARD GERRARD.

Steven Gerrard can no longer strike a ball like Steven Gerrard.
      It's an uncomfortable truth (for some) that his hip problems, where he had an op, infection, then another op to remove some infected bone and tissue left him unable to strike the ball as he once could.
      That's why in his later years, he would clip the ball rather than run onto it, striking through the ball ending up with both feet off the ground as he sought maximum power.
      He doesn't have that ability any more.

The sooner people stop living in the past and look to the future, the better.
      As a player Gerrard no longer has a place here; he's past it.
      As a coach he doesn't have a place here either, until he proves he is up to the task, and that means starting at the bottom in the youth setup.

The idea that someone should walk into the team or the coaching setup just by virtue of his name would have Shankly tearing his hair out.

The message from Klopp should be; "Prove yourself, then we'll talk."
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #5386: Oct 05, 2016 07:34:57 pm
      Gerrard is my favorite LFC player, but it's not like he's even the best player in the MLS...so why would we want a player playing for us that's not even the best in a sub-standard league? 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5387: Oct 05, 2016 07:35:28 pm
      I'd hate for Stevies presence to be hanging over the place, reminding them all how inadequate they are because no matter how long they're here or what they achieve, they'll never be Steven Gerrard.

There's enough anecdotal evidence littered around Melwood and Anfield about our famous European exploits covering over 3 decades but he and it is part of our past, our famous history.  These lads need to make their own history, in their own way, for the next generation.

What Stevie did will be remembered forever but it's over a decade ago, he's a shadow of that player but his aura doesn't need to return.  We don't need it, the players don't need it and Jürgen certainly doesn't need the return of the media circus that would come with him.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #5388: Oct 05, 2016 07:55:44 pm
      Blimey, if only if were as easy as telling the Istanbul story to inspire the lads to a great performance....  :roll:

I can only imagine Stevie sitting in a rocking chair in the dressing room pre-match with a tartan quilt over his legs and a packet of Worther's Original at his side, waiting for players to simmer down while he proceeds to tell his remarkable stories.

"Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin...."

And then wham! 5-0 up against Man Utd inside 20 minutes.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #5389: Oct 05, 2016 10:32:25 pm
      As I said, whatever role stevie played would benefit us in some way even if it was something so small and basic like being out on the training pitch taking free kicks. Having somebody like that around the place would definitely lift the dressing room and it's embarrassing there's some tossers actually mocking at that thought.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5390: Oct 05, 2016 10:36:54 pm
      As I said, whatever role stevie played would benefit us in some way even if it was something so small and basic like being out on the training pitch taking free kicks. Having somebody like that around the place would definitely lift the dressing room and it's embarrassing there's some tossers actually mocking at that thought.

No - what's embarrassing is you thinking that the likes of Klopp, Milner and co will have to pick up their jaws from the ground once Gerrard walks into Melwood, halo and all and make magic happen because he's Steven Gerrard.

Quite a childish 'Santa Claus' delusion that.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #5391: Oct 05, 2016 10:39:40 pm
      No - what's embarrassing is you thinking that the likes of Klopp, Milner and co will have to pick up their jaws from the ground once Gerrard walks into Melwood, halo and all and make magic happen because he's Steven Gerrard.

Quite a childish 'Santa Claus' delusion that.

How is that childish? He was/is the best of his generation. I'm sure he could teach our players a few things without having to go to some shitty FA school to get a certificate  :lmao:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5392: Oct 05, 2016 10:52:29 pm
      How is that childish? He was/is the best of his generation. I'm sure he could teach our players a few things without having to go to some shitty FA school to get a certificate  :lmao:

Think you're overestimating his capabilities mate. 

You do know that all the players know how to kick a ball and all the coaches at the club that have those shitty certificates would be able to teach those players to kick it like Stevie if those players had it in them to do so?

So why do they need Stevie?

They need to be coached by those who know what they're doing, not an ex player who could do stuff they'll never do and has no clue how to show them.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5393: Oct 05, 2016 10:59:41 pm

You do know that all the players know how to kick a ball and all the coaches at the club that have those shitty certificates would be able to teach those players to kick it like Stevie if those players had it in them to do so?

They need to be coached by those who know what they're doing, not an ex player who could do stuff they'll never do and has no clue how to show them.

And honestly no matter how great the person/player maybe I think its best that there is only one big character at the club, that being our manager.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,218 posts | 1221 
      Reply #5394: Oct 05, 2016 11:00:02 pm

Think I would trust the manager to make the decision, Debs, but in principle I think a player of Gerrard's experience has a hell of a lot to offer younger players about aspects of the game and performance that you can't get just from doing your coaching badges.

Don't see why it would be seen as some kind of major intrusion into the manager's work if the manager himself were comfortable with having Gerrard on board (and I've absolutely no idea what his thoughts are on that).
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5395: Oct 05, 2016 11:27:17 pm

Xavi is playing in Qatar - no idea how he's doing and on what basis we could say he's still world class

I'm not sure if Pirlo is doing that well in NY to be honest

Alonso is still a very good player, this is true. But he never depended much on his physicality, differently to Gerrard
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #5396: Oct 05, 2016 11:36:11 pm

Yeah Its the same principle as a whino off the street diagnosing liver cancer so why bother going to see a idiot who has wasted at least a decade in training at at some medical school   :roll:

BTW your earlier post re Gerrards ability at taking corners...........he was terrible usually never clearing the first man, in fact we have been awful at delivering a decent corners for ages!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,218 posts | 1221 
      Reply #5397: Oct 06, 2016 12:10:40 am

Yeah Its the same principle as a whino off the street diagnosing liver cancer so why bother going to see a idiot who has wasted at least a decade in training at at some medical school   :roll:

BTW your earlier post re Gerrards ability at taking corners...........he was terrible usually never clearing the first man, in fact we have been awful at delivering a decent corners for ages!

To be fair, I don't think anyone would die if a football coach gave the wrong tactical advice.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5398: Oct 06, 2016 01:14:08 am
      Would love to see Gerrard back at Liverpool

Can honestly say I'm not into the idea.  What's he going to bring at this stage in his career.  He's at the end of his footballing career and just knocking around with the lads in training isn't going to be helpful to either him or the rest of the squad.

One day maybe - but can't see any helpful role for him or more importantly us at this particular moment.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5399: Oct 06, 2016 06:43:58 am
      Can honestly say I'm not into the idea.  What's he going to bring at this stage in his career.  He's at the end of his footballing career and just knocking around with the lads in training isn't going to be helpful to either him or the rest of the squad.

One day maybe - but can't see any helpful role for him or more importantly us at this particular moment.

As I said I would love to see Gerrard back but only if Jürgen has a role for him. As for what he's going to bring... 20 years top flight experience?

Academy Staff

Alex Inglethorpe

Andrew Powlesland

Nick Marshall

Phil Roscoe

Michael Beale

Mark Morris

Tim Jenkins

Dave Moss

Matthew Newberry

Neil Critchley

Mike Garrity

Neil Edwards

Dr Jim Moxon

Oliver Morgan

Ian Barrigan

Scott Mason

Michael Yates

Des Maher

Tom Culshaw

Jack Ade

Paul Squires

Conall Murtagh

Barry Lewtas

Anthony Ryan

Brad Wall

Ray Shearwood

Jonathan Robinson

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson

Dan Hargreaves   

I am sure they are all talented individuals but which of those can possibly have the same quality of experience as Gerrard has had with Liverpool? He knows the area, knows the club and knows what demands and sacrifices youngsters need to make to reach the top and the problems they face in getting there.

Against his return, I would suggest he may not be the brightest button in the box and not the most vocal. (Kenny sacked Lawler because he thought he was too quiet).

No chance or reason to bring him back as a player, but if Jürgen wants him and Gerrard is willing I think there are many good reasons why he could return as a coach.

Personally I think Gerrard would have little difficulty getting a higher profile position with another club (Manager, first team coach etc etc) but the lure of Liverpool may be too much if a position was offered him.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #5400: Oct 06, 2016 07:27:17 am
      I'd like to see him back standing on the Kop with the fans roaring on the next generation of heroes I remember he likes being in the crowd .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5401: Oct 06, 2016 08:17:24 am
      Th
      I'd like to see him back standing on the Kop with the fans roaring on the next generation of heroes I remember he likes being in the crowd .
      That would be money well spent Andy,I could imagine Stevie behind the KOP goal urging the REDS and the crowd on.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #5402: Oct 08, 2016 01:15:53 pm
      Let's get Stevie G back in the team.

Seeing him and Klopp together on the touchline would be the best day of my life.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #5403: Oct 08, 2016 06:19:47 pm
      ThThat would be money well spent Andy,I could imagine Stevie behind the KOP goal urging the REDS and the crowd on.
      Be some sight that Billy .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5404: Oct 08, 2016 06:23:13 pm
      So basically, some want him back as a F***ing cheerleader.

I know he's been in the States, but that's just taking the piss  :laugh:

Quick Reply