Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 679059 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy)
      Reply #5428: Oct 10, 2016 02:57:20 pm
      What's wrong with having the Ex skipper coaching the young kids at the Academy just like Heighway did?...,

Thought having a local Scouser in the set up was a good thing & now some are turning their noses up at very idea...

Has nothing to do with him being a Scouser, has everything to do with him being the right coach. It also has everything to do with it being Klopp's call. If Klopp wants him, fine, but if he has someone else in mind, then that should be his right.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5429: Oct 10, 2016 04:23:40 pm
      Whenever I see someone mention Gerrard in some kind of a coaching role, all I can think of is that Joe Cole/Messi comment :laugh: Which isn't fair on my part, but still.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #5430: Oct 10, 2016 04:35:17 pm
      Granted he was important in that respect. But his record shows that he already had experience of coaching running a youth setup in the USA before taking on the role at Liverpool. He actually had previous experience before taking on the role.

That's why Stevie helping the kids at the academy is a no brainer, I'm not advocating the ex skipper takes a role at Melwood with the seniors or takes someone's spot on the bench,just having him learn from those already at the academy & passing on some of his own experience would help & not hinder...

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5431: Oct 10, 2016 04:44:06 pm
      That's why Stevie helping the kids at the academy is a no brainer, I'm not advocating the ex skipper takes a role at Melwood with the seniors or takes someone's spot on the bench,just having him learn from those already at the academy & passing on some of his own experience would help & not hinder...

He doesn't need to be a coach to do that. At best that sounds like an ambassadors job. I find it slightly patronising to these youngsters that Gerrard is the 'only' example they must aspire to. They have to be able to plough their own furrows and forge their own experiences not replicate the skills and experiences of an individual years gone by.

'I can't teach you the practice and virtues of zonal marking but what I will tell you about is half time in Istanbul' was and never will be a recipe for developing youngsters.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5432: Oct 10, 2016 04:50:40 pm
      They have to be able to plough their own furrows and forge their own experiences not replicate the skills and experiences of an individual years gone by.

'I can't teach you the practice and virtues of zonal marking but what I will tell you about is half time in Istanbul' was and never will be a recipe for developing youngsters.

You could say that about any player though. Why should Zidane be a manager? "I can't teach you about playing left-back but I can teach you how to nut people"

It doesn't work like that. Gerrards years of playing under top managers at the top level of football would translate into his coaching, not just the fact that he won the champions league eleven years ago.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5433: Oct 10, 2016 04:52:21 pm
      You could say that about any player though. Why should Zidane be a manager? "I can't teach you about playing left-back but I can teach you how to nut people"

It doesn't work like that. Gerrards years of playing under top managers at the top level of football would translate into his coaching, not just the fact that he won the champions league eleven years ago.

Maybe because Zindane is a UEFA Pro Licensed coach?  :dunceblock:
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5434: Oct 10, 2016 04:53:59 pm
      Maybe because Zindane is a UEFA Pro Licensed coach?  :dunceblock:

And what's stopping Gerrard becoming one? We're talking hypothetically aren't we or has an actual contract been offered I'm not aware of?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5435: Oct 10, 2016 04:57:17 pm
      And what's stopping Gerrard becoming one? We're talking hypothetically aren't we or has an actual contract been offered I'm not aware of?

No he has not - it's just that some people are still in the early stages of the 5 stages of grief since his departure from the club. 'Denial' being the prevalent emotion still amongst some.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5436: Oct 10, 2016 05:00:25 pm
      No he has not - it's just that some people are still in the early stages of the 5 stages of grief since his departure from the club. 'Denial' being the prevalent emotion still amongst some.

Not sure who you mean there but I'm alright with it. I just don't see the harm in having him back in some capacity.

Maybe I've not moved onto the next stage of grief...anger  ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #5437: Oct 10, 2016 05:04:00 pm

What the F**k are you an about mate, who's in denial?...some are pointing out that Gerrard has a role to play at the club but in the capacity of youth development & not first team management which is a argument you are trying to create...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5438: Oct 10, 2016 05:08:00 pm
      What the f**k are you an about mate, who's in denial?...some are pointing out that Gerrard has a role to play at the club but in the capacity of youth development & not first team management which is a argument you are trying to create...

I find it strange how some people like to treat the youth teams with the disposable attitude that we can enforce sentimental tokenism on them. By all means he should get his coaching badges and then start a bit lower like Heighway did but giving him a free pass - nope. It's not the Liverpool way.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #5439: Oct 10, 2016 05:23:33 pm
      I find it strange how some people like to treat the youth teams with the disposable attitude that we can enforce sentimental tokenism on them. By all means he should get his coaching badges and then start a bit lower like Heighway did but giving him a free pass - nope. It's not the Liverpool way.

What?, how did Paisley,Fagan,Kenny,Evans,Souness get into managing Liverpool & coaching the youth?..

It's precisely the Liverpool Way..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5440: Oct 10, 2016 05:33:24 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #5441: Oct 10, 2016 05:54:40 pm
      Gerrards years of playing under top managers at the top level of football would translate into his coaching

Hopefully his years of playing under Hodgson wouldn't be fighting to get out as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5442: Oct 10, 2016 06:13:41 pm
      What?, how did Paisley,Fagan,Kenny,Evans,Souness get into managing Liverpool & coaching the youth?..

It's precisely the Liverpool Way..

Granted the only exception there is Kenny, but its the exception, not the rule. Evans likewise but as nice a guy he is I don't think we should be holding up as a standard bearer. Souness had experience with Rangers beforehand. Paisley built himself up from physio (are you suggesting that Gerrard enter as physio?). Fagan had coached at places before Liverpool. Point still stands. They had to work for it. The Liverpool way.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #5443: Oct 10, 2016 06:18:52 pm
      Hopefully his years of playing under Hodgson wouldn't be fighting to get out as well.

That Gerrard advocated Rafa's removal and approved Hodgson's appointment shows a shocking lack of judgement and perception - the kind of qualities needed in a coach. Don't forget he wanted Alan f**king Curbishley as boss in 2004, that's another matter altogether. And don't even get me started on that shocking hatchet job of an autobiography of his. The shocking lack of self-awareness, poor judgement and revisionist bullshit indictments on Rafa make for terrible reading (the 'facts' rant was apparently at fault for derailing the title bid in 08/09 despite our points average going up after that rant. Neither was Rafa's rant 'the Liverpool Way' - so getting arrested and being charged for assault in a club just a few weeks prior to the rant was The Liverpool Way? And sucking up to Mourinho, wishing he'd been hired in 2004 is the Liverpool Way?).

The man is not nearly smart enough to be a coach for us. He's proven his intellectual ineptitude with such autobiographies and advocacy of terrible managers (oh, and Joe Cole is as good as Messi), while slating our best manager of the last 25 years. He was a great player, but we need to leave it at that. Once again, he can prove me wrong by doing the business at a lower club. Liverpool FC is a meritocracy where the very very best are appointed in order to get us to the very top.

I'm glad many of you supporters are in charge of managerial recruitment. We'd be wallowing in the depths of despair if we had legends coaching us, lumbering from one disaster to another.

Apparently being a top pro makes a sure fire great coach - did nobody tell Klopp, Wenger, Mourinho and Ferguson this? I mean sure, all that experience under Ferguson worked for Roy Keane - he was a legendary manager wasn't he....... Oh, and Ryan Giggs, I'm shitting myself if he ever becomes United manager.

And don't f**king bother stating 'it worked for Kenny'. Kenny's greatness is just so because he is a unique once in a lifetime kind of guy.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #5444: Oct 10, 2016 06:30:42 pm
      Just another thing on this about inspiring youngsters.

In my mind the types of youngsters I want to see coming through are ones who are willing to look any first teamer in the eye and have the self confidence to drive and work for that.

There's a story about how Gerrard in his first training session with the first team absolutely crunched Paul Ince, the captain at the time and then told him to stop crying because he was coming for his spot in the team.

No one can 'inspire' that type of attitude or self belief imo, you are born with it and those who don't have it don't make it.

Not necessarily something specific to Stevie, just a general point.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2016 07:04:02 pm by RedWilly »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5445: Oct 11, 2016 12:12:19 pm
      That Gerrard advocated Rafa's removal and approved Hodgson's appointment shows a shocking lack of judgement and perception - the kind of qualities needed in a coach. Don't forget he wanted Alan f**king Curbishley as boss in 2004, that's another matter altogether. And don't even get me started on that shocking hatchet job of an autobiography of his. The shocking lack of self-awareness, poor judgement and revisionist bullshit indictments on Rafa make for terrible reading (the 'facts' rant was apparently at fault for derailing the title bid in 08/09 despite our points average going up after that rant. Neither was Rafa's rant 'the Liverpool Way' - so getting arrested and being charged for assault in a club just a few weeks prior to the rant was The Liverpool Way? And sucking up to Mourinho, wishing he'd been hired in 2004 is the Liverpool Way?).

The man is not nearly smart enough to be a coach for us. He's proven his intellectual ineptitude with such autobiographies and advocacy of terrible managers (oh, and Joe Cole is as good as Messi), while slating our best manager of the last 25 years. He was a great player, but we need to leave it at that. Once again, he can prove me wrong by doing the business at a lower club. Liverpool FC is a meritocracy where the very very best are appointed in order to get us to the very top.

I'm glad many of you supporters are in charge of managerial recruitment. We'd be wallowing in the depths of despair if we had legends coaching us, lumbering from one disaster to another.

Apparently being a top pro makes a sure fire great coach - did nobody tell Klopp, Wenger, Mourinho and Ferguson this? I mean sure, all that experience under Ferguson worked for Roy Keane - he was a legendary manager wasn't he....... Oh, and Ryan Giggs, I'm shitting myself if he ever becomes United manager.

And don't f**king bother stating 'it worked for Kenny'. Kenny's greatness is just so because he is a unique once in a lifetime kind of guy.

Where has anyone said they want Gerrard as Liverpool manager?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #5446: Oct 11, 2016 05:19:38 pm
      Where has anyone said they want Gerrard as Liverpool manager?

Some fools want him, but it doesn't matter does it - you need intelligence and a degree of high perception to be an excellent coach, let alone manager.

Gerrard - with his past mutterances and hatchet job autobiography - has proven he hasn't got the brains for a coaching job at a top club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5447: Oct 11, 2016 11:53:58 pm

Why are they fools because their opinion is different to yours?...

I'm not sure where all this has come from. He hasn't said about being a coach for us, he hasn't said he wants to be manager. He has said there are no plans for him to become a coach for us.

He's working towards getting his coaching badges. So what? A lot of players do that just so they have them should they want to explore that path once they hang up their boots.

It isn't happening now, he has said there are no plans for it to happen so I really don't get why this topic is going the way it is. Wont be long before it's ending up like the Rafa thread with pointless point scoring and snide posts.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #5449: Oct 23, 2016 10:19:59 am
      I'm loving the way we are playing now , but do I miss watching Stevie strut his stuff too fckin right I do who the fck wouldn't miss one of the best midfielders of your lifetime ,  I hope he is good enough one day to once more prowl the touch line with menace , but for now we have Klopp and unless something catastrophic happens has the ability to go on and join the band of legendary managers we have had .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #5450: Oct 23, 2016 10:34:59 am

Quick Reply