Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 672134 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy)
      Reply #5451: Oct 23, 2016 11:02:46 am
      Could also add would Stevie have a better mentor than Klopp  it could be the start up of the good old boot room where they learnt from within and got promoted accordingly . Just a thought like.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #5452: Oct 23, 2016 05:01:45 pm
      Maybe just as a mentor to the younger lads in the academy,bit TBH I do not want a  Stevie G circus distracting anything at Anfield at the moment.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5453: Oct 23, 2016 06:30:06 pm
      Maybe just as a mentor to the younger lads in the academy,bit TBH I do not want a  Stevie G circus distracting anything at Anfield at the moment.

I really don't think anybody will get distracted.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5454: Oct 24, 2016 09:00:36 am
      They had all his goals he scored for us on LFCTV yesterday. Just watching them all brought a tear to my eye. How many F***ing times did the Commentators say and "Stevie G to the rescue, again". What a Legend.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5455: Oct 24, 2016 01:37:43 pm
      Where are all the "people need to stop living in the past" posters now?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #5456: Oct 24, 2016 02:03:37 pm

If Klopp thinks he's needed, then so be it, but don't expect a high profile position - there's no way he is replacing Buvac, Krawietz or Lindjers as these guys are all far too smart. And those who want him back as a player need to get a grip.

Remember all that 'Get Stevie To Wembley' bollocks in 2015 - it provided a state of utter delusion to supporters despite our form from every single player (Gerrard included) and manager being utterly atrocious. I'm not having that again - especially as we're playing so well with a young and hungry bunch of players.

He was magnificent and will forever be a great but folk who seriously think he could offer something to the playing squad as it is are really really sad. He made the right decision to leave in 2015 and now a new career in coaching means he has to prove himself in this department now. There's no tokenism here. If so, we can say goodbye to any progress.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5457: Oct 24, 2016 02:04:54 pm
      They had all his goals he scored for us on LFCTV yesterday. Just watching them all brought a tear to my eye. How many F***ing times did the Commentators say and "Stevie G to the rescue, again". What a Legend.

Recorded it. Watched it live. Then watched it again tonight.

One of a kind midfielder.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5458: Oct 24, 2016 02:10:33 pm

Well for me, if Gerrard wants to come back, he has to prove himself as a coach by starting at the bottom and working up, and F**k the idea of having him as some kind of cheerleader in front of the Kop as someone advocated.

That's nothing to do with living in the past, it's just common sense.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5459: Oct 24, 2016 03:22:12 pm
      Well for me, if Gerrard wants to come back, he has to prove himself as a coach by starting at the bottom and working up, and F**k the idea of having him as some kind of cheerleader in front of the Kop as someone advocated.

That's nothing to do with living in the past, it's just common sense.

There does seem a snobbishness towards Gerrard having a coaching role at the club. Not sure how qualified the likes of Pellegrino were before they came  here as one of Rafas assistants for example.

These people have to start somewhere, and like it or not it won't be starting at the very bottom.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5460: Oct 24, 2016 03:27:58 pm

I was one of those posters, I posted that in response to somebody saying he should come back to play.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5461: Oct 24, 2016 04:45:23 pm
      There does seem a snobbishness towards Gerrard having a coaching role at the club. Not sure how qualified the likes of Pellegrino were before they came  here as one of Rafas assistants for example.

These people have to start somewhere, and like it or not it won't be starting at the very bottom.

My attitude is that no one should get a free ride simply because of who they are, so he should start with the kids and work up from there.
      Great players don't always make great coaches, he'll have to do his badges anyway, and then he has to implement Klopps methods.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #5462: Oct 24, 2016 08:26:30 pm
      Recorded it. Watched it live. Then watched it again tonight.

One of a kind midfielder.

The best player I'll ever see in my lifetime.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #5463: Oct 28, 2016 03:26:03 pm
      Having another kid, wonder will that see him coming back to Liverpool?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5464: Oct 28, 2016 04:03:53 pm
      Having another kid, wonder will that see him coming back to Liverpool?

He'll be coming back anyway, he's said as much in past interviews.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5465: Oct 29, 2016 08:01:41 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5466: Oct 29, 2016 08:11:14 am
      I really hope it's another girl. The pressure that kid will be under if it's the son of Steven Gerrard :D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5467: Oct 29, 2016 08:19:10 am

Good on them. Stevie will def want to be back home for the birth I'm guessing.
      Reading this thread can't believe there is anyone not jumping for joy at the thought of Stevie playing a role at LFC. Not only is he a legend but he is one of the most intelligent football players going. Away from what he will undoubtably be able to contribute as a coach, Imagine a sought after 12 year old and his dad going to Kirby and getting the grand tour and sales pitch from Stevie G, what an asset that could prove.  We should be delighted that he seems to want to go down a coaching path rather than the pundit role which would have been there for him and I'm sure he'll still do to some extent...can't wait to welcome him back to the LFC fold!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #5468: Oct 29, 2016 08:38:15 am
      Little 'Longbeach Gerrard'
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #5469: Oct 29, 2016 08:38:33 pm
      A lot won't agree but I really don't see the problem in offering him an 18 month playing deal with a coaching role.
      Before anyone bites my head off I don't mean a first team first choice player by any means nor do I mean a first team coach, he'd have to start with academy/u23s.
      On a playing side we will be back in the Europa at least next year and with both cup competitions we played 67 games last season didn't we?
      Stevie could provide cover for injuries and cup games etc and play in a few u23 games, imagine the experience for the young lads of playing in the same team as Gerrard and the priceless in game coaching.
      This is the only playing role I can see him having at Anfield. Giggs carried on till 40 I think playing a game here and there for the Mancs.
      Alternatively he could play for a leading championship club (hope not)as I don't think he'll play for another PL club.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #5470: Nov 05, 2016 02:23:44 am
      Stevie could be done with his LA adventure by the end of the weekend.
      He has the 2nd leg of the western conference playoffs this weekend and if they don't hold onto their 1-0 lead from the first leg (which I went to but Steve didn't come off the bench for) then his jaunt over here is done.
      If they get through the fixture it's on to the semis and perhaps the final.
      Regardless, I highly doubt he will sign another contract out here and come the early part of December he'll be Liverpool bound.
      Anyone else see the potential of a 6 month playing contract back at Liverpool?
      Judging by the way he has played this season for the galaxy i highly doubt it but perhaps klopp sees a role for him still.
      Could be a fascinating next 2 months. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5471: Nov 05, 2016 02:45:28 am
      Stevie could be done with his LA adventure by the end of the weekend.
      He has the 2nd leg of the western conference playoffs this weekend and if they don't hold onto their 1-0 lead from the first leg (which I went to but Steve didn't come off the bench for) then his jaunt over here is done.
      If they get through the fixture it's on to the semis and perhaps the final.
      Regardless, I highly doubt he will sign another contract out here and come the early part of December he'll be Liverpool bound.
      Anyone else see the potential of a 6 month playing contract back at Liverpool?
      Judging by the way he has played this season for the galaxy i highly doubt it but perhaps klopp sees a role for him still.
      Could be a fascinating next 2 months. 

I'd be astonished if that was the case. His legs are completely gone to the point he isn't even a sure starter for LA Galaxy and his scoring/assist stats are very underwhelming the last time I checked. His last season with us two years ago really showed that in my opinion.

It's something that has the potential to become an unnecessary distraction and I kind of feel for Jürgen who constantly has to field and bat away such questions from the journalists despite the fact he has very little to say on the matter apart from him being 'welcome at all times'. Some jerk even had the tenacity to ask him during his unveiling press conference back in October 2015, a question which caused Ian Ayre to sensibly step in and say this was not a question for Klopp to answer.

The relentless 'campaign' to get Gerrard back in a capacity over and above his current station by some sections of the media and some sections of the fans is too reminiscent of the slightly farcical cult of Gerrard mania that occurred in the latter half of his last season with us. We had the 'Get Gerrard to Wembley' campaign and then we had Rodgers' severely compromising management to try and fit him in (it reached its nadir in the final games against Palace and Stoke where efforts to get Gerrard on the scoresheet superseded all efforts to get a result, concluding in embarrassing 3-1 and 6-1 defeats). It wasn't a pretty sight and the whole charade made a mockery of one of the club's most important values - that nobody is bigger than the club. With this issue being brought up time and time again, to me it's clear a residual effect still exists in that regard. We have to realise that Gerrard is a part of Liverpool's past now and that we have to move on and start forging new heroes and legends. The current squad led by Jürgen and Henderson as captain need to have the freedom and respect to cultivate their own legacy, something they can do perfectly well without the alleged 'necessity' of Gerrard.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2016 02:55:37 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #5472: Nov 05, 2016 03:51:13 am
      In
      I'd be astonished if that was the case. His legs are completely gone to the point he isn't even a sure starter for LA Galaxy and his scoring/assist stats are very underwhelming the last time I checked. His last season with us two years ago really showed that in my opinion.

It's something that has the potential to become an unnecessary distraction and I kind of feel for Jürgen who constantly has to field and bat away such questions from the journalists despite the fact he has very little to say on the matter apart from him being 'welcome at all times'. Some jerk even had the tenacity to ask him during his unveiling press conference back in October 2015, a question which caused Ian Ayre to sensibly step in and say this was not a question for Klopp to answer.

The relentless 'campaign' to get Gerrard back in a capacity over and above his current station by some sections of the media and some sections of the fans is too reminiscent of the slightly farcical cult of Gerrard mania that occurred in the latter half of his last season with us. We had the 'Get Gerrard to Wembley' campaign and then we had Rodgers' severely compromising management to try and fit him in (it reached its nadir in the final games against Palace and Stoke where efforts to get Gerrard on the scoresheet superseded all efforts to get a result, concluding in embarrassing 3-1 and 6-1 defeats). It wasn't a pretty sight and the whole charade made a mockery of one of the club's most important values - that nobody is bigger than the club. With this issue being brought up time and time again, to me it's clear a residual effect still exists in that regard. We have to realise that Gerrard is a part of Liverpool's past now and that we have to move on and start forging new heroes and legends. The current squad led by Jürgen and Henderson as captain need to have the freedom and respect to cultivate their own legacy, something they can do perfectly well without the alleged 'necessity' of Gerrard.

I entirely agree and hence the tone of my post.
      I was just putting the idea out there as it will surely be raised by the media and fans alike in the coming few days or weeks.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #5473: Nov 05, 2016 07:04:04 am

Jesus Christ.

Quick Reply