Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 666232 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy)
      Reply #5474: Nov 05, 2016 08:24:30 am

Didn't he play alongside St John in the 1960s,I am sure it was on the church noticeboard in Oakfield Road. :f_tongueincheek:
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #5475: Nov 05, 2016 11:41:17 am
      My favourite player of all time by some distance but his LFC playing days are over unfortunately and what would it say/do to the confidence of lads like Stewart and Grujic if he came back at 36 playing ahead of them!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5476: Nov 06, 2016 09:46:37 pm
      If he does come back it'll be sooner than expected, they've just been beat on penalties by Colorado. LA Galaxy's penalties were a shambles.  Gerrard was the only one of the four to score one.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #5477: Nov 06, 2016 09:51:00 pm
      Awful performance by LA
      Stevie's USA adventure is over

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #5478: Nov 07, 2016 12:02:40 pm
      The Guardian reports that Stevie could be set to announce his retirement after LA Galaxy were knocked out of MLS play-offs.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/06/steven-gerrard-retirement-la-galaxy-mls-playoffs-robbie-keane-colorado-rapids?CMP=share_btn_tw
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #5479: Nov 07, 2016 12:13:16 pm

US football is sh*te. The sooner he gets into a good coaching role the sooner he can start the next phase in his career.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #5480: Nov 07, 2016 12:30:12 pm
      US football is sh*te. The sooner he gets into a good coaching role the sooner he can start the next phase in his career.

Got the feeling Stevie was only there to waste a season or two while his return to Anfield was nailed on.....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5481: Nov 07, 2016 09:39:17 pm
      Got the feeling Stevie was only there to waste a season or two while his return to Anfield was nailed on.....

Was obvious he never really wanted to go there. Some players just can't move on and really are tied to a club and Gerrard is one of them.
      We all know if Klopp had taken over sooner he would never have left us.

Didn't have a great time at LA Galaxy but it's like anything, if you don't really want to be there then it won't be great.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5482: Nov 08, 2016 03:04:54 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #5483: Nov 08, 2016 05:27:00 pm
      Nope,not for me,should stay away for a bit.Maybe if the sh*t hits the fan with the u-18's/ressies get him in to help but why rock the boat just cos.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5484: Nov 08, 2016 05:57:07 pm
      My attitude is the same as Shankly's.
      No sentimentality.

His legs were gone, he has no place in the team, and until he has proved himself at some level and gained his badges, he has no place coaching.

This is Liverpool FC, not the Gerrard fan club.
      A great player, but that's in the past. Time to move on and stop living in dreamland.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #5485: Nov 08, 2016 08:44:46 pm
      I'd be astonished if that was the case. His legs are completely gone to the point he isn't even a sure starter for LA Galaxy and his scoring/assist stats are very underwhelming the last time I checked. His last season with us two years ago really showed that in my opinion.

It's something that has the potential to become an unnecessary distraction and I kind of feel for JĂźrgen who constantly has to field and bat away such questions from the journalists despite the fact he has very little to say on the matter apart from him being 'welcome at all times'. Some jerk even had the tenacity to ask him during his unveiling press conference back in October 2015, a question which caused Ian Ayre to sensibly step in and say this was not a question for Klopp to answer.

The relentless 'campaign' to get Gerrard back in a capacity over and above his current station by some sections of the media and some sections of the fans is too reminiscent of the slightly farcical cult of Gerrard mania that occurred in the latter half of his last season with us. We had the 'Get Gerrard to Wembley' campaign and then we had Rodgers' severely compromising management to try and fit him in (it reached its nadir in the final games against Palace and Stoke where efforts to get Gerrard on the scoresheet superseded all efforts to get a result, concluding in embarrassing 3-1 and 6-1 defeats). It wasn't a pretty sight and the whole charade made a mockery of one of the club's most important values - that nobody is bigger than the club. With this issue being brought up time and time again, to me it's clear a residual effect still exists in that regard. We have to realise that Gerrard is a part of Liverpool's past now and that we have to move on and start forging new heroes and legends. The current squad led by JĂźrgen and Henderson as captain need to have the freedom and respect to cultivate their own legacy, something they can do perfectly well without the alleged 'necessity' of Gerrard.

Absolutely spot on. Some cold hard truths confronted here.

I am not interested in the past as a means to go forward. Time to let the wonderful memories be without compromising our future with needless token gestures.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5486: Nov 08, 2016 10:46:25 pm
      All I will say is if Klopp decides to give him a playing contract then I will back his judgement on it, he has given us no reason to doubt otherwise with his signings so far and there was a ridiculous amount of questioning and OTT reactions with them in the summer from people on here.

Klopp knows what he's doing, he wouldn't take anyone on in either a playing or coaching capacity unless he thought it was for the benefit of the team so lets wait and see what happens first before the OTT posts start and completely slating the idea of him returning in some capacity, especially before he has even officially announced his departure from LA Galaxy.

Klopp is determined to get us back where we once were. If that's with him taking on Gerrard then best of luck and hope it works out, if it's without Gerrard then so be it, Klopp would obviously have deemed it an unsuitable move.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5487: Nov 09, 2016 11:59:50 am
      All I will say is if Klopp decides to give him a playing contract then I will back his judgement on it, he has given us no reason to doubt otherwise with his signings so far and there was a ridiculous amount of questioning and OTT reactions with them in the summer from people on here.

Klopp knows what he's doing, he wouldn't take anyone on in either a playing or coaching capacity unless he thought it was for the benefit of the team so lets wait and see what happens first before the OTT posts start and completely slating the idea of him returning in some capacity, especially before he has even officially announced his departure from LA Galaxy.

Klopp is determined to get us back where we once were. If that's with him taking on Gerrard then best of luck and hope it works out, if it's without Gerrard then so be it, Klopp would obviously have deemed it an unsuitable move.

I'd be absolutely amazed if Klopp offered him a playing contract.

IMO the best thing for Gerrard is to get his coaching badges, then go from there.
      No free rides, no special treatment because of his name.
      Do it the old fashioned way, by learning a coaches/managers trade from the bottom up.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5488: Nov 10, 2016 07:16:24 am

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5489: Nov 15, 2016 05:48:23 pm
      https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/798557758240886784

An open letter from Steven Gerrard
      November 15

Steven Gerrard

LA Galaxy Supporters –

Over the last year and a half, it has been a privilege to represent the LA Galaxy and play in front of this club’s great fans.

When I left Liverpool, I came to Los Angeles with the goal of helping the LA Galaxy lift another MLS Cup. I am very disappointed to have not achieved that objective, but I can look back at my time at the club with pride at what we accomplished, including two straight playoff appearances and countless memorable moments on the pitch.

I have loved every minute of my time in the States and playing for the LA Galaxy. I am excited to see this league and this great club continue to grow.

As someone who spent the whole of their career in Liverpool, it has been an incredible experience to come to Los Angeles and play for the LA Galaxy. I would like to thank Mr. Anschutz, Dan Beckerman, Chris Klein and Bruce Arena for this opportunity. I would also like to thank my teammates, the coaching staff, the team staff and each and every supporter for their support since I arrived at this club.

To the Galaxy fans at StubHub Center, it has been an honor to play in front of you. From my debut against San Jose to my final match in Colorado, you have shown me amazing support and I will never forget that. I am excited to continue to support the Galaxy going forward and I look forward to seeing you all again in Los Angeles soon.

Los Angeles will always have a special place in my heart. As I depart, I want to thank everyone at the club for making my time here so memorable for me and my family.

Thank you and go Galaxy.             

--Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard to depart from LA Galaxy
      November 15

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016) –

The LA Galaxy announced today that midfielder Steven Gerrard will not return to the LA Galaxy for the 2017 MLS season. Gerrard departs from LA following the conclusion of his contract in Major League Soccer. Since joining the team in July of 2015, Gerrard tallied five goals and 14 assists in 34 appearances during his 18 months with the club.

“When I left Liverpool, I came to Los Angeles with the goal of helping the Galaxy lift another MLS Cup,” said Steven Gerrard. “I am of course disappointed to have not achieved that objective, but I can look back at my time at the club with pride at what we accomplished, including two straight playoff appearances and countless memorable moments on the pitch. As someone who spent the whole of their career in Liverpool, it has been an incredible experience to come to Los Angeles and play for the LA Galaxy. I would like to thank Mr. Anschutz, Dan Beckerman, Chris Klein and Bruce Arena for this opportunity. I would also like to thank my teammates, the coaching staff, all of the support staff and most importantly the fans for their fantastic support during my time at Galaxy; I am excited to see this league and this great club continue to grow. I am now looking forward to spending time with my family as I consider the next stage of my career.”

“We were honored to have a player and person of Steven’s caliber represent the LA Galaxy over the past two seasons,” said LA Galaxy Head Coach and General Manager Bruce Arena. “His experience, class and leadership made him a valuable member of this team both on and off the field. I will always remember his last kick for the LA Galaxy as he smashed home his penalty against Tim Howard. We thank Steven for his time and contributions to this club and we wish him the best in whatever comes next. He is one of the most iconic players of all-time and he will always be a part of the LA Galaxy family.”

Gerrard, 36, signed with the Galaxy on January 7, 2015 before joining the team in July after finishing the English Premier League season with Liverpool. As a member of the Galaxy, Gerrard tallied five goals and 14 assists during the MLS Regular Season, including three goals and 11 assists in 2016, while helping lead the club to two straight berths in the MLS Cup Playoffs.

The midfielder joined the Galaxy after one of the most storied careers in Liverpool and English football history. During his 17 seasons with Liverpool, the team’s longest-serving captain made over 700 professional appearances and scored 185 goals in all competitions. Gerrard also served as captain for England, making 114 appearances and scoring 21 goals on the international level, including captaining his country during the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #5490: Nov 16, 2016 12:56:34 pm
      Hope he pulls the pin now and doesn't go down the Celtic route. Just imagine the greatest Liverpool player to never win a title hops on to the north and wins one in a sh*te league slightly cringeworthy in my book.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #5491: Nov 16, 2016 07:46:38 pm
      Mark Lawrenson thinks his future lies at Liverpool.

Never thought anything else but now I'm worried.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5492: Nov 16, 2016 08:58:10 pm
      Hope he pulls the pin now and doesn't go down the Celtic route. Just imagine the greatest Liverpool player to never win a title hops on to the north and wins one in a sh*te league slightly cringeworthy in my book.

Don't think he will go to Celtic. Despite what he says about Rodgers, I'm sure there is part of him that is a bit bitter for BR finishing off his Liverpool career as a player and in the manner it happened with things like being benched vs Madrid etc. There's also the fact Celtic will qualify for Europe next season and the possibility we will too and he's already said when he left us he didn't want to go to a team that had a chance of potentially playing Liverpool.

He never wanted to leave us in the first place, he won't go to another club and go through the motions like with LA Galaxy IMO. Will retire and take up a coaching role with the youngsters and try to work his way up to a coach with the first team.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #5493: Nov 17, 2016 02:11:12 am
      Don't think he will go to Celtic. Despite what he says about Rodgers, I'm sure there is part of him that is a bit bitter for BR finishing off his Liverpool career as a player and in the manner it happened with things like being benched vs Madrid etc. There's also the fact Celtic will qualify for Europe next season and the possibility we will too and he's already said when he left us he didn't want to go to a team that had a chance of potentially playing Liverpool.

He never wanted to leave us in the first place, he won't go to another club and go through the motions like with LA Galaxy IMO. Will retire and take up a coaching role with the youngsters and try to work his way up to a coach with the first team.

Hope your right mate.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #5494: Nov 17, 2016 04:03:11 am
      Having watched Stevie in the flesh many times as a season ticket holder for the galaxy, I can state that his passing, when given massive amount of time and space is still excellent. It's just everything else that he can't do to anywhere near his PRIOR standards and worryingly, not remotely near what is needed in the premiership.
      I am a romantic at heart and wish this wasn't true and would love to see him back at our club for 6 months to end outbhis career whilst still contributing in a positive manner in the pitch.
      But to me, it would be sad for us and depressing for him.
      He should retire with his head held high and start his coaching career in earnest at our academy.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #5495: Nov 17, 2016 05:08:40 pm
      Talks of him being linked with the MK Dons manager job...would be a steep learning curve
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #5496: Nov 18, 2016 09:43:50 am
      Talks of him being linked with the MK Dons manager job...would be a steep learning curve

Would be a swift sacking as well I reckon, no way he is ready to manage a team yet.

He should start at the bottom rather than going straight in at the deep end and tarnishing his record.

Quick Reply