Trending Topics

Next match: Chelsea v LFC [Premier League] Sun 22nd Sep @ 4:30 pm
      Stamford Bridge

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W14 D2 L7

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers)

Read 453864 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,611 posts | 1908 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool -> LA Galaxy - > Youth Academy)
      Reply #5575: Aug 13, 2018 06:33:20 pm
      Rangers seem to have quite a bit more purpose about them since Stevie took charge.

As for Ejaria - not seen too much of Rangers but from what I saw of the last 15 minutes or so and I thought Ejaria was a proper presence for them. I then look on twitter and the idiot Rangers supporters (there's a lot of them) are chopping him down. They know f**k all about quality though. This is a bunch of people who thought Kenny Miller was their talisman, even a decade after he showed himself to be an all round sh*t player in the shittest Premier League team of all time (Derby County 2007-2008). They also treat Walter Smith (who, let's remember contributed to them going bankrupt) as some sort of divine like figure despite his awful, backwards football that embarrassed European football when they somehow got to the final of the 2008 Europa League Final (and proceeded to trash Manchester city centre). Absolute basket cases.

Classic example was josh windass, he was either excellent or absolutely useless in people's eyes, despite being the joint top goalscorer last season. Will be interested to see how celtic go in the next few weeks as a bit of unrest is being mentioned,  losing in the cl qualifiers would be interesting
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #5576: Aug 13, 2018 06:35:51 pm
      Did have to restrain myself from giving some rangers fans slating ejaria a piece of my mind but hopefully the incredibly fickle rangers give him a bit more time. Kent was excellent again
      Agree, didn't see the game yet, but I would imagine he needs to adjust to the responsibility. He is good enough talent wise, but the pressure is bigger in this kind of team. He looks talented so they should be patient. Liverpool won't be sending Celtic players very often because in the past they weren't treated well on loan. Rangers fans should take note of this, if they treat our loan players well there could be a lot more talent going that way. Woodburn, Wilson etc..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,611 posts | 1908 
      Reply #5577: Aug 13, 2018 06:36:59 pm
      Agree with most of that, but just because Miller was bad at county doesn't mean he was bad at Rangers. I never seen Miller play to be fair... unless he played against us.. it is not something I would remember. Look at Ox for Arsenal v Ox for Liverpool, you would think they are different players. As for Rangers, been best in the league this season. They played majority of 2 games with 10 men. Should be top of the league, first red has been reverted to yellow now. Really backing Rangers over Celtic, I have no connection to Celtic, even thought I am 25% Irish other than they have a great song.. YNWA, but Gerrard v Rodgers? Always going to back Gerrard! Rodgers is so average it is unbelievable. Average signings, Average results... he had no problem winning SPL every year because no competition, but couldn't make Celtic look like they used to be in Europe. Rangers will dethrone Celtic. Gerrard and Liverpool's obvious support with loan signings will be key.

My leanings are blue mainly because of when souness went their but old firm fans are amongst the most schizophrenic around,  so want stevie to be successful., not as anti brendan as that, just felt in the end he lost the plot a bit
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #5578: Aug 13, 2018 06:41:04 pm
      Classic example was josh windass, he was either excellent or absolutely useless in people's eyes, despite being the joint top goalscorer last season. Will be interested to see how celtic go in the next few weeks as a bit of unrest is being mentioned,  losing in the cl qualifiers would be interesting
      Celtic probably thought that Gerrard would be happy taking the role and finishing 2nd in SPL. After one transfer window, Rangers look better so Celtic are panicking I guess. The results their right now show that it only takes a bit of competition to knock them of their perch. Eventually they'll become a team with great character  :f_whistle:
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,475 posts | 444 
      Reply #5579: Aug 13, 2018 06:45:48 pm
      Wow a crazy amount of overreaction to one defeat. Rangers are certainly not going to ‘dethrone’ Celtic.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #5580: Aug 13, 2018 06:48:27 pm
      My leanings are blue mainly because of when souness went their but old firm fans are amongst the most schizophrenic around,  so want stevie to be successful., not as anti brendan as that, just felt in the end he lost the plot a bit
      I am not anti brendan either, but he one of those managers that in the right job can look good.. kind of like Jose at a superpower with unlimited funds.. although Rodgers doesn't moan or talk as much sh*te. A good manager improves the team. That could be from League one to Championship or Championship to premiership or bottom half to top half, an unlikely trophy without needing hundreds of millions. Some managers just go to a club and there is no improvement at all.. Rodgers is on the same level as Steve Bruce! It would be well deserved if Gerrard's Rangers exposed that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,763 posts | 5103 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5581: Aug 13, 2018 07:05:09 pm

Got to be honest - I baulked at Celtic re signing Izaguirre one year after selling him. Just indicates that for all their dominance in recent years there current transfer strategy is non existent and it's a rather pathetic sight to see a 32 year old, fairly average player return to Celtic colours.

As you said there are indications that things aren't as smooth for Celtic as they were for the last couple of years. They should still win the league at a canter but if they fail to impress and degrade in quality in the process then there may be a theory bandied about that Rodgers can only get so much out of his teams before they slide - an inability to build upon good foundations he has set. Of course it's a theory that will be, in large part, established by his own failings with us after his second season here. People associate 'third season decline' with Mourinho but it may potentially apply to Brendan if things become underwhelming for them this season. A failure to qualify for the CL and suddenly (potentially) finding themselves at the same level in Europe as Rangers would be something of a disaster for them.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,059 posts | 178 
      Reply #5582: Aug 13, 2018 07:12:05 pm
      Good start for Stevie, as Rangers manager. Interesting to see how things develop, through the season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 2512 
      Reply #5583: Aug 13, 2018 10:43:42 pm
      Wow a crazy amount of overreaction to one defeat. Rangers are certainly not going to ‘dethrone’ Celtic.

No they aren’t - the gap is at least as big as City to the rest over a season (in England) in real terms.....

However, as I said earlier, Stevie has had an
      Immediate impact in terms of organisation and attitude.
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,475 posts | 444 
      Reply #5584: Aug 13, 2018 11:03:32 pm
      No they aren’t - the gap is at least as big as City to the rest over a season (in England) in real terms.....

However, as I said earlier, Stevie has had an
      Immediate impact in terms of organisation and attitude.
      Without doubt mate and it’s hard to ignore the optimism out of the Rangers camp but folk are getting carried away.

I hope if (when) Liverpool drop points, people won’t start saying the title is out of reach for us.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,611 posts | 1908 
      Reply #5585: Aug 13, 2018 11:11:00 pm
      Without doubt mate and it’s hard to ignore the optimism out of the Rangers camp but folk are getting carried away.

I hope if (when) Liverpool drop points, people won’t start saying the title is out of reach for us.

Like i said before, there isn't really any middle ground these days
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts | 81 
      Reply #5586: Aug 17, 2018 12:04:26 pm
      Steven Gerrard: Rangers manager says 'Maribor had no respect for us'

Rangers defeated a "Champions League" team who showed them "no respect", said manager Steven Gerrard after the Ibrox side's Europa League win over Maribor.

An away goalless draw against the Slovenians - who were in the group stage of Europe's top competition last season - secured a 3-1 aggregate win.

Gerrard's men will face FC Ufa of Russia in the play-off round next week, with a group-stage place at stake.

"They had confidence, they had ego, and they are devastated," Gerrard said.

Speaking to the Rangers website, he added: "They had no respect for us, but my players have proved over two legs we are better than Maribor, and that gives me great confidence going forward."

Gerrard remains unbeaten as Rangers manager since joining in the summer, and his team are now two games from a potential Europa League group-stage place.

The draw in Maribor was their eighth competitive match of the season, and the Ibrox manager believes there is still more to come from his group.

"My players are giving me this so early, and they are showing they can carry out instructions having only been together for a short spell," he added.

"I believe we will improve the squad with more personnel and become stronger. And as a group, we will continue to grow.

"When we are at Ibrox, there is a certain way of playing. But when you come to difficult places, you have to show a different side and we are doing that very well at the minute."

Seems to be doing decent at the moment.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,988 posts | 3671 
      Reply #5587: Aug 17, 2018 06:11:26 pm
      really pleased for him it is going really well.
      Red8
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 31 
      Reply #5588: Aug 18, 2018 11:17:56 am
      been on a game and pay close attention on him. He looked so calm and confident. Rengers set back and waited for counters. Maribor tried to brake them, but did not succeed. And even at the moments were Maribor was dangerous he looked calm and not worried. His game plan worked perfectly, even if it was not pretty for the eye.

I was really impressed whit our future manager attitude and game management  ;D.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,094 posts | 3623 
      Reply #5589: Aug 19, 2018 04:48:02 pm
      Won again today 3-1 against Kilmarnock in the BetFred Cup and Rangers are looking a far better team than they did last season.

Quietly impressed with the job Steven is doing so far up there.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,712 posts | 154 
      Reply #5590: Aug 19, 2018 04:54:08 pm
      So happy for him.. Hope he wins it.. His post match comments have been to the point and on the face.

Keep at it, Stevie la
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,988 posts | 3671 
      Reply #5591: Aug 19, 2018 05:05:53 pm
      Lets face it he has had some really good mentors in his career and he is clearly enjoying this experience and the Rangers supporters will get behind him .
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,436 posts | 1972 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5592: Aug 19, 2018 05:53:32 pm
      Won again today 3-1 against Kilmarnock in the BetFred Cup and Rangers are looking a far better team than they did last season.

To be fair, the SPL is a step down from the U18's.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,094 posts | 3623 
      Reply #5593: Aug 19, 2018 06:10:09 pm
      To be fair, the SPL is a step down from the U18's.

Hahaha ;)
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,179 posts | 2860 
      Reply #5594: Aug 19, 2018 06:15:32 pm

Whisper it quietly but I think Gerrard will win the league this season..

They way he defends his club & players marks him out for a great future..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,094 posts | 3623 
      Reply #5595: Aug 19, 2018 06:25:36 pm

Watched a lot of the 2nd half, was quietly impressed with Ryan Kent, plenty of pace & seemed to be a constant threat on the left.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,944 posts | 3840 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5596: Aug 20, 2018 05:16:16 am
      Watched a lot of the 2nd half, was quietly impressed with Ryan Kent, plenty of pace & seemed to be a constant threat on the left.

Kent seems to be making more of an impression than Ejaria, not seen much positive being said about Ejaria at all so far there, likewise his loan move last season.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 2512 
      Reply #5597: Aug 20, 2018 09:29:20 am

As well as he’s doing (and he has started very well) that’s gonna need a huge implosion at Celtic.

They’ve looked distracted so far but the gap in playing talent is massive.

That said - all is clearly not well between BR and the board so we’ll see.......
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,611 posts | 1908 
      Reply #5598: Aug 20, 2018 10:37:48 am
      If stevie gets persuaded that kyle lafferty is a good signing then best of luck to him
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,094 posts | 3623 
      Reply #5599: Aug 26, 2018 10:39:50 pm
      Unlucky to get a draw today, 11 unbeaten and doing very well. Was a good game too, good to see Ejaria get on the scoresheet.

Quick Reply