Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 666345 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers)
      Reply #5911: Nov 11, 2021 10:55:00 am
      this could go horribly wrong for him Villa are not a good squad. Rangers seem to be relaxed about this move on the surface so time will tell.
      Hope it works for him it didnt work for Lampard with a squad that won the CL so the pressure will be on him for sure.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #5912: Nov 11, 2021 11:10:37 am
      Fair play to him for having the bollocks to have a go in PL could of taken safe option and stayed in Scotland. Hope he gets off to a good start apart from 11th would love him to be as much as a success in management as he was as a player .
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5913: Nov 11, 2021 11:29:49 am
      Surprised he left Rangers mid season and won't go down well with the Rangers fans but it's a step in the right direction. He's working up the ranks the right way and not doing a Ole straight in the big time only to make himself look like a Cnut.

Much as I don't like SG for obvious reasons you can't knock how his management career has gone so far. Started well at Rangers and put them back on the map. He now moves up the ladder to a Premier league cup and not a bad one at that. Villa have a decent history and all though not accieved anything in a while it's the perfect step for the next part of SG career as a manager.

Obviously it's a big step up in class going from Scottish football to Premier league but  do think he will do ok. Hopefully I'm wrong and he fails  ;D However, if things do go well you know his next job will be taking Klopps when he retires or moves on.

OGS had already relegated one club before the Manc job
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5914: Nov 11, 2021 11:44:03 am
      I know how Stevie will deal with the Scum rag but how will Villa deal with them.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #5915: Nov 11, 2021 05:17:38 pm
      Mental but I don’t give a f**k about Villa so I don’t mind this move for him.

Mental isn't it. And with Frank Lampard looking likely for the Norwich job, we've entered full on Football Management territory where your great players from youth to retirement are now managing top flight teams in their domestic league. Remember when they were just young upstarts with prospects??

Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #5916: Nov 11, 2021 07:42:58 pm
      Say what you want but will be watching Villa with interest from now on, good luck lad.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #5917: Nov 11, 2021 08:27:53 pm
      Good luck Stevie, he might find it tougher in the PL, still a step in the right direction.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #5918: Nov 12, 2021 07:38:34 am
      For Gerrard to accept the position at Villa & leave Rangers early season who took a chance on him could indicate all was not well behind the scenes at Ibrox.. was on a decent number there..

All the best Stevie lad.. hope to bump into him around Brum..

Maybe, I just think it was an opportunity to good to turn down at this point for him.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5919: Nov 12, 2021 11:47:52 am
      I think he will be aware of how the scum media will want him to fail. He is a winner and despite managing players with far less talent than he had he has got them to perform well so I will be interested to see how he does hopefully well enough to do damage to team around us
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #5920: Nov 12, 2021 11:55:59 am
      To leave Rangers so early in the Season is not a good look in my opinion. Stevie is renowned for his loyalty and this will damage that reputation. I've just read above that Rangers are £30 million in debt but this Season the League winners get automatic qualification for the Champions League. They are currently top of the League and winning the League again would have wiped out that debt and freed up some transfer money as well. Heard on media yesterday that qualification for Champions League nets around £40-45 million.

Villa are a big Club and they have some serious money behind them. Stevie has already proved he can handle pressure and i have no doubt he can make a good go of it there, i just don't like the way he has gone about it. Maybe there are reasons he has chosen to take the job now, it will all come out in the wash no doubt.

One thing i will say though, Stevie has got some serious balls! If this works out for him he walks into that Liverpool job when Klopp eventually leaves. If it doesn't work out then that transition into the Liverpool job will be near impossible.

Just want to say good luck to Gerrard, i will always back him in anything he does but i think he is making a mistake. Not in the decision he has made but in the timing of it. There will always be Premier League manager jobs available, i think he could have waited. Again though, i don't have any knowledge of his situation at Rangers and if he felt his intentions were not being backed by the owners/board.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5921: Nov 12, 2021 01:34:15 pm
      He seems to have gone with the blessing of the Rangers board so it could be a surprise to them.
      Loyalty to clubs or contracts seems to have died sometime ago money talks these days above all else.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5922: Nov 12, 2021 10:45:30 pm
      2 hours up the road from home for him.

BUT...I'm not sure this is right for him, in the grand scheme of things (if the grand scheme of things is the Liverpool job). It's a big club that I like, though. Not sure about it for him at this point.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5923: Nov 14, 2021 02:15:24 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #5924: Nov 14, 2021 02:29:58 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5925: Nov 15, 2021 05:22:18 pm

Half the horrible tw*ts were posting about buying the s*n the next day.

F**k em
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #5926: Nov 17, 2021 09:32:28 pm
      For Gerrard to accept the position at Villa & leave Rangers early season who took a chance on him could indicate all was not well behind the scenes at Ibrox.. was on a decent number there..

All the best Stevie lad.. hope to bump into him around Brum..

You never know Shabs he might just pop into your shop for some new gear  8)

I can only wish him all the luck in the world except of course when they play us, I think he'll do well at Villa and I'm sure he have the respect of all at the club.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2021 09:47:18 pm by Klopps Snood »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5927: Nov 17, 2021 10:08:06 pm
      You never know Shabs he might just pop into your shop for some new gear  8)

I can only wish him all the luck in the world except of course when they play us, I think he'll do well at Villa and I'm sure he have the respect of all at the club.

I’ll probably see him more than expected, moving close to Solihull.. 😎

Gerrard will have plenty to spend, high profile manager, ambitious owners, think 4th richest in the league…

How you been Cas…?

Everything sorted medical side..?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #5928: Nov 17, 2021 10:38:50 pm
      I’ll probably see him more than expected, moving close to Solihull.. 😎

Gerrard will have plenty to spend, high profile manager, ambitious owners, think 4th richest in the league…

How you been Cas…?

Everything sorted medical side..?

Be boss to bump into him wouldn't it  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: just make sure I'm with you when it happens 8) my auntie who lives in Formby was gutted that she never even saw him out and about, let alone bump into him  :laugh:

All good at this end hun, thanks for asking.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5929: Nov 18, 2021 10:13:40 am
      The video of the rangers fans having a funeral for a stevie G cardboard cut-out then jumping up and down on it. WTF, they really are another breed.  :lmao: :lmao:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #5930: Nov 19, 2021 12:42:16 am
      The video of the rangers fans having a funeral for a stevie G cardboard cut-out then jumping up and down on it. WTF, they really are another breed.  :lmao: :lmao:

I genuinely thought they were going to burn it!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5931: Nov 19, 2021 10:13:01 am
      I genuinely thought they were going to burn it!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Would not have surprised me if they did.  :lmao:

Im hearing some are saying he is depressed now at villa and regretting leaving rangers. some proper loons in that fanbase.  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5932: Nov 19, 2021 10:48:40 am
      he  did what he was sent to do and leaves them in a much better place. I hope at Villa he beats UTD, Chelsea, City, well everyone other than us.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5933: Nov 19, 2021 10:58:31 am
      Half the horrible tw*ts were posting about buying the s*n the next day.

F**k em

Glad we can go back to hating Rangers now.

Most of their fans are pure cu*ts.

Quick Reply