Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 671561 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,900 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6072: Oct 20, 2022 09:32:45 pm
      Just not worked for him at Villa.

Could be sacked before the night is up.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 2810 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6073: Oct 20, 2022 09:43:12 pm
      Surely will be gone in the next 24 hours.

Underachieved badly with that squad IMO.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,782 posts | 392 
      Reply #6074: Oct 20, 2022 10:14:30 pm
      Needs to get himself himself cushty job on the tele unless he wants to be hanging around the lower leagues.

Not sure a Steve Bruce type career is what Stevie needs.

Get back in that BT studio before Lampard gets in there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #6075: Oct 20, 2022 10:37:32 pm
      Surely will be gone in the next 24 hours.

Underachieved badly with that squad IMO.

He lost an incredibly able and talented right hand man in Michael Beale and replaced him with Neil Critchley. Needed to be braver and more ambitious in his assistant manager selection than that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #6076: Oct 20, 2022 10:48:26 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #6077: Oct 20, 2022 11:31:40 pm
      Shame it didn't work out for him.

Think he's a million miles off a top level coach at the moment and either needs to take a step down and rebuild or pack it in and get back the the TV studio.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,605 posts | 3914 
      Reply #6078: Oct 20, 2022 11:33:09 pm
      Gutted for him
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6079: Oct 20, 2022 11:59:38 pm
      Classless cu*ts, singing get out of our Club!!! f**k wits

They now have 2 options:

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,226 posts | 743 
      Reply #6080: Oct 21, 2022 12:19:48 am
      Made a massive misjudgement with Coutinho. Rubbish squad. There's loads of crap in the Premier league. I still think there's a good manger in him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,512 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6081: Oct 21, 2022 07:50:11 am
      Oh well.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,217 posts | 1386 
      Reply #6082: Oct 21, 2022 08:26:32 am
      Much will obviously depend on his appetite to stay in the game as a manager. Is he a motivator or an analytical manager, bit of both may be. His contemporary Lampard was booted out of Chelsea and is having another go. Could be he'll take an extended break, see if he misses the day to day involvement.

If I was Southgate I'd ask him to take up some sort of role for the World Cup, could be. Might even drop a division. But being pencilled in as Klopp successor has taken a knock for sure. Wish him well as I'm sure we all do.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,512 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6083: Oct 21, 2022 08:58:51 am
      Beale was a big loss.

And yes Injuries have not helped either.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #6084: Oct 21, 2022 09:16:41 am
      Needs to get himself himself cushty job on the tele unless he wants to be hanging around the lower leagues.

Not sure a Steve Bruce type career is what Stevie needs.

Get back in that BT studio before Lampard gets in there.

Can't see Gerrard quitting this journey. Never known Stevie to quit anything. It was a massive job to take and too early but that is Stevie for you, never shies away from anything.

I'd have preferred he cut his teeth at Rangers but hey, that is now done. It seems the era of giving managers time is well and truly over.

Just saw a piece on ESPN where Steve Nicol was mocking and laughing at Gerrard! F**k that fat c**t, a F***ing disgrace! If i ever cross his path i will batter the fat c**t!

Anyway, good luck Stevie and shame on the Villans who were cheering his sacking, I hope Villa go down now, F**k them.

Shame on the players too, shame on anyone who lacks the will to succeed that Gerrard embodies.

AND F**k STEVE NICOL, FAT c**t!
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #6085: Oct 21, 2022 09:29:08 am
      Can't see Gerrard quitting this journey. Never known Stevie to quit anything. It was a massive job to take and too early but that is Stevie for you, never shies away from anything.

I'd have preferred he cut his teeth at Rangers but hey, that is now done. It seems the era of giving managers time is well and truly over.

Just saw a piece on ESPN where Steve Nicol was mocking and laughing at Gerrard! F**k that fat c**t, a f**king disgrace! If i ever cross his path i will batter the fat c**t!

Anyway, good luck Stevie and shame on the Villans who were cheering his sacking, I hope Villa go down now, f**k them.

Shame on the players too, shame on anyone who lacks the will to succeed that Gerrard embodies.

AND F**k STEVE NICOL, FAT C*NT!

I find it really hard to believe an ex red was laughing at another ex red losing his job. If so that's really sad. What's Nicol ever done in football management?
      rossyred

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #6086: Oct 21, 2022 10:36:33 am
      Sad to hear them chants. Hope he comes back stronger and sends them wankers down in some way
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1660 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6087: Oct 21, 2022 10:51:34 am
      Setback for SG but he will have learned a lot. Hope he is back in management before too long.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #6088: Oct 21, 2022 12:26:16 pm
      I find it really hard to believe an ex red was laughing at another ex red losing his job. If so that's really sad. What's Nicol ever done in football management?

Stevie was the manager of New England in MLS during the 00's and has the unique distinction of losing all 4 MLS Cup finals he was a part of ;D.

As for Stevie I do think it was the right time for him cut his teeth at Premiership level. Staying at Rangers winning SPL titles I don't think it would of got him a higher level club to manage. Shame it didn't work out for him, most manager get canned during their career but his time at Villa was pretty bad.

Wouldn't be surprised so see him back managing sooner then later. Sure there will be Chmpionship side will to take him on.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #6089: Oct 21, 2022 08:49:42 pm
      Stevie was the manager of New England in MLS during the 00's and has the unique distinction of losing all 4 MLS Cup finals he was a part of ;D.

As for Stevie I do think it was the right time for him cut his teeth at Premiership level. Staying at Rangers winning SPL titles I don't think it would of got him a higher level club to manage. Shame it didn't work out for him, most manager get canned during their career but his time at Villa was pretty bad.

Wouldn't be surprised so see him back managing sooner then later. Sure there will be Chmpionship side will to take him on.

Absolutely. Bizarre decision to go to Villa in the first place. You're just asking for trouble - I mean, since when did a manager come out of that club smelling of roses? And he was far too raw as a boss still.

This isn't a criticism of Gerrard perse, but I don't know where the ambition is with English managers either. Go abroad, spread your wings, go to a place where you can innovate and mould things. Forget about the money and the stature and get the ball rolling away from the glare of the cameras. Graham Potter did it in Ostersunds in Sweden. Michael Beale went to coach Sao Paulo. Do something that's away from the glare of the obsessive, 24/7 media attention of the Premier League.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6090: Oct 21, 2022 08:55:53 pm
      Mings is a troublemaker didn't like losing the Captaincy or being dropped but if you saw him last weekend he should have been parking Cars what a pathetic excuse for a player.
      Not sure where he could go next but football moves on quickly and he is still a big name in the game. Take time off go to the WC play Golf and decide what is next. I am sure he is financially sound so why not go back to the Academy and enjoy life whilst still getting pocket money to spend
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,004 posts | 521 
      Reply #6091: Oct 21, 2022 10:44:40 pm
      Still think he will ultimately turn out to be a good manager. Partly on the basis if his time at Rangers, partly just on the way he comes across as a manager. Villa should've stuck with him I think, but they don't tend to do that as a club (partly why they've been sh*t for 40 years).

If he picks a better club next time and gets time, would not surprise me to see him back in contention to succeed Jürgen eventually. (No rush on that though!)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #6092: Oct 21, 2022 11:04:26 pm
      Mings is a troublemaker didn't like losing the Captaincy or being dropped but if you saw him last weekend he should have been parking Cars what a pathetic excuse for a player.
      Not sure where he could go next but football moves on quickly and he is still a big name in the game. Take time off go to the WC play Golf and decide what is next. I am sure he is financially sound so why not go back to the Academy and enjoy life whilst still getting pocket money to spend

Probably one of the most pathetic pictures you'll ever see.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,226 posts | 743 
      Reply #6093: Oct 21, 2022 11:45:17 pm
      Absolutely. Bizarre decision to go to Villa in the first place. You're just asking for trouble - I mean, since when did a manager come out of that club smelling of roses? And he was far too raw as a boss still.

This isn't a criticism of Gerrard perse, but I don't know where the ambition is with English managers either. Go abroad, spread your wings, go to a place where you can innovate and mould things. Forget about the money and the stature and get the ball rolling away from the glare of the cameras. Graham Potter did it in Ostersunds in Sweden. Michael Beale went to coach Sao Paulo. Do something that's away from the glare of the obsessive, 24/7 media attention of the Premier League.
      I don't know that I agree that taking the Villa job was a mistake. He'd been successful at Rangers( albeit in a poor quality league). Once Villa targeted him, it was a chance to test himself at a much higher level. He wouldn't have been naive, and would have known that progress up the division was paramount to keeping his position. They are an indifferent squad, much like a lot of those mid table clubs, they're not going to make any significant move up the table. He probably overspent on a few incoming players and his loyalty to Coutinho was poor judgement. So It didn't work out and he made a few mistakes. We all make mistakes, the key is leaning from them so as not to repeat them. I'm sure he has, he'll hopefully be a better manager for it.
      It's often said a person is better judged by how they overcome disappointment, than defined by their success.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,205 posts | 1208 
      Reply #6094: Oct 22, 2022 12:45:13 am
      The move to Villa backfired for Stevie unfortunately. I hoped he'd do alright there but performances and results were dreadful for quite a while, problems lingered and the fans then turned against him. Mcginn was made captain but whereas he is the Scottish Maradona whilst on international duty, he looked bang average in Stevie's system.

Such a world away from the talk that he could be Jürgen's successor. The problem now is he will have to drop a level or at best take a sideways step, perhaps even go abroad, to be able to progress as a manager. A hit like this takes a bit of coming back from.

Quick Reply