Trending Topics

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 672221 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6141: Jul 03, 2023 08:51:05 pm
      Silly money. Will be interesting to see if he can get any sort of decent job here in Europe after his time there. I personally think it carries a bit of a stigma and if there is ever a right time to go there it's at the end of your career not the beginning.

Also when people say he doesn't 'need' the money, it's true from the perspective of 99% of humanity but bear in mind these guys operate on a whole different level of expenditure.

His cost base will be proportionate to the life of a multimillionaire. Would he rather be sat on his arse doing a bit of punditry here or there, take a job at a club such as Burnley, or rake in the cash abroad in a league which is luring famous players from Europe?

There is arguably a 'glamour' aspect to this, a sense of being part of a new project which is loaded with money but devoid of everything else. It's a shame but how many players and managers have done the same?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6142: Jul 03, 2023 08:55:10 pm
      Not sure how working in the Saudi league is good experience.

Disappointed in this news if I'm honest.

Yea doesn’t seem like career wise it’s a good step for managing but who knows.  Can’t be bothered about what he does….his business I suppose. I’d say his links to gangsters would be much more damaging than coaching in Saudi Arabia if people were inclined to get upset about something.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #6143: Jul 03, 2023 09:22:17 pm
      Bummer he's going to SA. Would have loved to see him coach in the states.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6144: Jul 03, 2023 09:28:39 pm
      Simple truth is domestic football/players/teams is now being ruled by states who print money like confetti. They didn’t employ SG because of what he’s done as a manager which even the most ardent of supporters will admit was poor.

The oilys just want the recognised names that have been there and done it to a very high level on the pitch. At the end of the day it must be very very hard to refuse such wealth ( even if you already have it ) with what you can earn in so little time.

I ask my self a question ( regardless of where it came from ) could I turn such wealth knowing my grandkids are made for life? Thank Christ I won’t be in a position to answer it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #6145: Jul 03, 2023 10:13:09 pm
      Disappointing to say the least.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #6146: Jul 03, 2023 10:32:07 pm
      Very disappointing decision by Stevie.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #6147: Jul 03, 2023 10:34:18 pm
      Simple truth is domestic football/players/teams is now being ruled by states who print money like confetti. They didn’t employ SG because of what he’s done as a manager which even the most ardent of supporters will admit was poor.

The oilys just want the recognised names that have been there and done it to a very high level on the pitch. At the end of the day it must be very very hard to refuse such wealth ( even if you already have it ) with what you can earn in so little time.

I ask my self a question ( regardless of where it came from ) could I turn such wealth knowing my grandkids are made for life? Thank Christ I won’t be in a position to answer it.

Genuinely Keith, I would see equal merit in letting my grandkids (if / when I have any) find their own way and earn their own money.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #6148: Jul 03, 2023 10:43:34 pm
      Asshole move.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6149: Jul 03, 2023 10:44:46 pm
      Not sure how working in the Saudi league is good experience.

Disappointed in this news if I'm honest.

oh no Stevie will be f***in devastated.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6150: Jul 04, 2023 07:00:20 am
      Genuinely Keith, I would see equal merit in letting my grandkids (if / when I have any) find their own way and earn their own money.

That’s a fair comment but a lot easier to say when you don’t have any mate. Wait till you’re fortunate enough to have some. Mine range between 2 & 6 and I can’t see enough of them there so adorable, easy to say coz they’re mine but hopefully in years to come you’ll understand more.

It’s more about them making get to the right places with schools/colleges more than anything. Certainly wouldn’t give them  a golden spoon so they never have to work in life.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6151: Jul 04, 2023 07:04:28 am
      oh no Stevie will be f***in devastated.

In a way he will be, said no once probably for all the right reasons. However, they probably just told him to right a number down that you couldn’t refuse and he did. He’s only training as bins at the end of the day so there won’t be any recognition for his achievements over there. 
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 409 
      Reply #6152: Jul 04, 2023 07:17:00 am
      Don't see anyone over here battering down his door offering him a job, so if that's what's available management wise. That would explain the decision and the extra few quid :laugh:

Yeah he had a shocker at Villa and Emery has really put that into context with the job hes done with the same players.

He could either build back from a lower league club and slog it out there for 1/10th of the money or go to Saudi and earn as much as the top proven managers in the game.

Personally I'd rather go over there and be at the start of the revolution. If you've got money Saudi looks a nice place to live.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #6153: Jul 04, 2023 08:00:19 am
      Yeah he had a shocker at Villa and Emery has really put that into context with the job hes done with the same players.

He could either build back from a lower league club and slog it out there for 1/10th of the money or go to Saudi and earn as much as the top proven managers in the game.

Personally I'd rather go over there and be at the start of the revolution. If you've got money Saudi looks a nice place to live.

Kompany showed that you can build from the championship and there are a lot of very good clubs that he could have looked at

And Saudi is lovely apart from the beheading , the mistreatment of women , the homophobia and all around shocking human rights

But yeah lovely in rich houses behind the high walls

I’ll be amazed if his family goes with him
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6154: Jul 04, 2023 08:46:46 am
      Don't see anyone over here battering down his door offering him a job, so if that's what's available management wise. That would explain the decision and the extra few quid :laugh:

Exactly.

Not exactly covered hkmself in glory so far, won the league in scotland when celtic were rotten, cut out of there as soon as an EPL team came in, he was arguably not ready, should have stayed with rangers.

And possibly then taken a championship job, build his experience up.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #6155: Jul 04, 2023 10:12:03 am

Think that's slightly harsh mate.

His League record at Villa was 38 games, 12 wins, 8 draws, 18 defeats. So basically a full Premier League season, amassing 44 points - which last season would have seen them sit comfortably in 12th (level on points with Chelsea).

Obviously Villa ended up on a lot more than that once Stevie was sacked and Dick Emery was brought in but I wouldn't call his time at Villa a shocker - especially not for his first job in the top flight.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #6156: Jul 04, 2023 11:55:19 am
      Ste Gerrard Gerrard
      He swings a sword really hard
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #6157: Jul 04, 2023 11:56:48 am
      Ste Gerrard Gerrard
      He swings a sword really hard

:lmao:
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6158: Jul 04, 2023 01:19:49 pm
      https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJXgpuAb/

Stevie speaking Arabic ffs 😂😂😂😂😂
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6159: Jul 04, 2023 01:21:51 pm

There’s no doubting  Emery made SG look poor when he took over but when he first went to Villa got off to a pretty good start from what I remember. It was hard to fathom out what went wrong for him but obviously it did. Anyway he’s not reached the standards of Ole & Fat Frank yet so there’s still hope.  :lmao:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #6160: Jul 04, 2023 01:32:50 pm
      There’s no doubting  Emery made SG look poor when he took over but when he first went to Villa got off to a pretty good start from what I remember. It was hard to fathom out what went wrong for him but obviously it did. Anyway he’s not reached the standards of Ole & Fat Frank yet so there’s still hope.  :lmao:
      Aston Villa were garbage before SG got there, they were garbage when he was there, they're garbage now with Emery....and they'll be garbage when he's booted out......they're just....not surprisingly, garbage
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6161: Jul 04, 2023 02:29:09 pm

I’ll be amazed if his family goes with him

I’d be amazed if his family didn’t go. 😱 What makes you think they would stay in England?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #6162: Jul 04, 2023 02:42:41 pm
      I’d be amazed if his family didn’t go. 😱 What makes you think they would stay in England?

Because it’s not great there stuck in compounds and all the restrictions in place

It’s why Vardy turned it all down
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6163: Jul 04, 2023 02:52:53 pm
      Because it’s not great there stuck in compounds and all the restrictions in place

It’s why Vardy turned it all down

If what you say is true ( don’t doubt it ) as I just don’t have a clue it doesn’t appear to stop the majority from going so far! Surprised Vardy didn’t go considering all the bad press he got with his wife and the Rooneygate tape. I’d of thought she would jump at the place to move on from being a Wag over here considering her circumstances.   ;D

Quick Reply