Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 672740 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #4278: Apr 13, 2014 06:27:03 pm
      I always thought crazy horse was our best skipper , but i'm reevaluating it now . He's a true inspiration to all Reds .
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4279: Apr 13, 2014 06:50:07 pm
      Must confess I couldn't surpress a chuckle when Carra described Stevie moving back as "Just like when Paul Scholes did it a few years back". That certainly dispella any rumours that Jamie uses this forum, if indeed there were any.

As for todays game, I thought Stevie was again absolutely immense, a fantastic performance. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4280: Apr 13, 2014 06:51:16 pm
      Must confess I couldn't surpress a chuckle when Carra described Stevie moving back as "Just like when Paul Scholes did it a few years back". That certainly dispella any rumours that Jamie uses this forum, if indeed there were any.

As for todays game, I thought Stevie was again absolutely immense, a fantastic performance. 

My MOTM Mick.

Some of those defensive runs and tackles he made were almost worth a goal in themselves.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4281: Apr 13, 2014 07:01:04 pm
      My MOTM Mick.

Some of those defensive runs and tackles he made were almost worth a goal in themselves.

Yep I couldn't look beyond him myself Si I must admit, although Sterling and Coutinho were fantastic too. I also really liked Flanno and Sakho, while Skrtel beingh excellent is kind of becoming the norm and hardly warrants comment.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #4282: Apr 13, 2014 07:55:00 pm
      Lost count how many times I've watched this video already.

It's fuc...kin awesome isn't it! It just comes pouring out of him and because he is so reserved and controlled most of the time it was amazing to watch and see just how much this means to him.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4283: Apr 14, 2014 02:44:44 am
      I just.... I don't know. I just don't have words to describe Steven Gerrard anymore. "Legend" doesn't do him enough justice. That video, his reaction at full time, his ace interview with Shreeves -- a true leader of men.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4284: Apr 14, 2014 07:50:44 am
      Inspirational. I will never, ever forget those moments when the final whistle went and he gathered the lads together. F***ing Brilliant!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #4285: Apr 14, 2014 01:56:50 pm

Thanks so much for putting these vids up.
      Seeing what it means to him is amazing, we're used to tepid characters in football these days.
      The huddle was so emotional, the interview was class- the way he handled the interviewer- lelel
      Stevie's fitness levels have improved since the starting months of the season it seems to me, quite amazing really.
      Love the guy.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4286: Apr 14, 2014 02:06:11 pm
      My MOTM Mick.

Agreed.

Pretty much dispels the latest myth that he isn't that great defensively.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4287: Apr 14, 2014 02:12:11 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4288: Apr 14, 2014 02:41:38 pm
      Pretty much dispels the latest myth that he isn't that great defensively.

I think there is a difference between a genuine concern and a 'myth' as you put it Beer.

I think what does help Gerrard in this new role is that he seems comfortable that we have enough quality further up the pitch that allows him to sit back and let them get on with it. In the past I think he always thought he had to grab games by the scruff and do everything himself which in turn led to him looking more 'indisciplined' tactically.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4289: Apr 14, 2014 02:47:55 pm
      I have never doubted Gerrard's ability but have had doubts about his ability as a leader, he certainly put those doubts away yesterday. Inspirational player.... inspirational leader of men.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4290: Apr 14, 2014 02:59:38 pm
      I think there is a difference between a genuine concern and a 'myth' as you put it Beer.

I think what does help Gerrard in this new role is that he seems comfortable that we have enough quality further up the pitch that allows him to sit back and let them get on with it. In the past I think he always thought he had to grab games by the scruff and do everything himself which in turn led to him looking more 'indisciplined' tactically.

I agree Si.  It's like that weight of responsibility has been lifted off his shoulders and he can concentrate on his own game and dictate everything from the back.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4291: Apr 19, 2014 01:16:04 am
      Brendan Rodgers has a simple message that illustrates the value of Steven Gerrard to Liverpool.

The league-leading Reds' manager reckons you can keep Busquets, Lahm, Alonso, Fernandinho, Pirlo, de Rossi, Matic and Thiago Motta, as his midfield general is the best orchestrator of the lot.

Right now, few would argue with such an assessment, but it is interesting to hear Rodgers not only laud his leader’s role in the Anfield giants’ miraculous revival but explain just why he has the edge on such luminaries of the defensive midfield arts.

“There are not many players who can do what he can: Be one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe and then switch to be up there as arguably the best controlling player,” he explained.

“You look at the holding players in European football, players with top teams and top clubs, and I wouldn’t swap him for any of them because of what he can give the club.

“He’s a playmaker, unique; his intelligence and reading of the game allows him to orchestrate the game with those playmaking skills from that position.

“But he can also defend; tackle. And what he probably doesn’t get enough credit for as well is his reading of the game situations.”

What is perhaps most remarkable is Gerrard was only switched to the role in a January match against Aston Villa... and that, half an hour into that match with the visitors 2-0 up at Anfield, some immediately dismissed it as a failed experiment.

In turning around a desperate losing situation to salvage a draw with Villa and embark on a remarkable unbeaten run that has stretched throughout 2014, the Kop club's captain showed he was born the role.

In the 12 subsequent league games, Liverpool have delivered an astonishing 34 points, and victory at struggling Norwich on Sunday would put them on the threshold of an historic first-ever Premier League triumph.

It is no co-incidence they now have a world class player in such a pivotal position. Which begs the question: Why not do it earlier?

Because the timing had to be right, Rodgers explains - even if he had always earmarked his skipper for the position.

“I look at how we can maximise all the players and get the most out of them, and from the first day I came in here, I told him that was the role I envisaged him playing,” explained the Northern Irishman.

View gallery Allsport
      """"""""""
      Steven Gerrard career in pictures
      View gallery

“With Steven, he’s not just going to take what you say, there has to be a rationale behind it - a reason as to why. He probably needed time - which he did - to go away and think about it, study it and talk it through before he could go out there.

“Steven is not going to come in blind and not want to contribute to team. That was very important for us - the timing. Thankfully it’s worked well.”

There was another reason too: and nothing to do with the suspicion which previous managers seemed to have about the tactical discipline of the England captain.

“I knew him before I came in here, and people used to ask, 'Was he a player who just couldn’t fit into a team structure; a No.10 who had to roam?'" added Rodgers.

“Yet that was because he was so good he needed to [roam]. He could lift the team, and carry the team in whatever position he played. But the future now is about the team, and he’s in a structure he’s happy with. He’s got some top talents around him who can exploit his qualities too.”

One of those talents is Luis Suarez, whose menacing qualities are so poetically illustrated by his record against Norwich.

In his last three games against the Canaries, he has scored ELEVEN times...the best of which, THAT looping volley from 40 yards at Anfield in December, is a Goal of the Season contender.

If he continues that run, Liverpool will be within touching distance of an achievement many considered impossible given they finished 28 points off the top last season.

And Rodgers believes goal-scorers simply do have opponents they love to torment.

“I think there are players who always will have a feeling against teams. You get certain players who will score goals against certain teams,” he said with a smile.

“You look at Steven against Aston Villa, he always seems to score against them and do well.

"Luis has done remarkably well against Norwich... we just hope it continues this weekend.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-steven-gerrard-best-holding-3429092#ixzz2zHpp38fC
      Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #4292: Apr 19, 2014 04:07:03 pm
      Whens his current deal run out?  i'm i right in thinking he's got two seasons left meaning ends next summer as LFC usually do new deals on players with 2 yrs remaining. i would give him a 2yr extension on that as I think he can play on in his new role another 3-5yrs as long as we rest him in the FA and league cup games and start bringing him off last 15min in games we've got wrapped up
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #4293: Apr 20, 2014 10:50:03 am
      Stevie G #Warrior.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #4294: Apr 21, 2014 12:12:04 am
      Steven 666.

Made more appearances than any other Liverpool player now except Ian Callaghan and Jamie Carragher.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4295: Apr 22, 2014 02:17:11 pm
      I have never seen that side of Stevie, that huddle and words of inspiration left a lot of people in tears. His ability to lift the team through his game changing performances has been his way of Captaining the team this is on another level. This new role is a blessing to all of us because he can play there for another 3 or 4 years
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4296: Apr 26, 2014 11:14:47 am

Steven Gerrard to take Liverpool youth team to McDonald’s – if Reds beat Chelsea

Friday 25 Apr 2014 3:50 pm

Why is Gerrard taking Liverpool's youth team to McDonald's?

Whether you like Steve Gerrard or not (we’re looking at you, Manchester United fans) Steven Gerrard comes across as a pretty good guy.

And the Liverpool captain has shown exactly why this week, after spending some time working with the Reds’ youth team.

Gerrard, a product of the club’s famed academy system, offered advice and tips to the stars of the future – before attention soon turned to the weekend clash with Chelsea.

Liverpool face the Blues in a crunch clash, with Gerrard knowing a victory would likely mean the club win the Premier League title.

And if they do win, they’ll be extra cause for celebration for the youngsters – who will be treated to lunch at McDonald’s.

Gerrard has vowed to buy the whole team of youth stars whatever they want from the fast food joint, as long as Liverpool grab the three points this weekend.

Ha ha nice
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4297: Apr 26, 2014 11:19:21 am

Steven Gerrard to take Liverpool youth team to McDonald’s – if Reds beat Chelsea

Whether you like Steve Gerrard or not (we’re looking at you, Manchester United fans) Steven Gerrard comes across as a pretty good guy.

And the Liverpool captain has shown exactly why this week, after spending some time working with the Reds’ youth team.

Gerrard, a product of the club’s famed academy system, offered advice and tips to the stars of the future – before attention soon turned to the weekend clash with Chelsea.

Liverpool face the Blues in a crunch clash, with Gerrard knowing a victory would likely mean the club win the Premier League title.

And if they do win, they’ll be extra cause for celebration for the youngsters – who will be treated to lunch at McDonald’s.

Gerrard has vowed to buy the whole team of youth stars whatever they want from the fast food joint, as long as Liverpool grab the three points this weekend.

Ha ha nice

Now that really would be a happy meal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4298: Apr 26, 2014 11:22:13 am
      I think Stevie may well win the football writers player of the year award if we win the league.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4299: Apr 26, 2014 11:41:09 am

Ha ha nice

Why isn't he taking them to Subway?  ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4300: Apr 26, 2014 12:01:55 pm
      Why isn't he taking them to Subway?  ;)

bit more pricey there :)

Quick Reply