Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 666221 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6049: Sep 03, 2022 07:29:26 am
      I’ve never considered him as an option, I’ve said for a couple years now that I think in an ideal world, Ljinders would be the man for the job.

So far, he hasn’t done much of a good job at Villa.

Amazing player doesn’t guarantee you’ll be a great manager and unfortunately I don’t see Gerrard being a top level manager. I could be wrong, still early in his management days but I don’t see him being much of an improvement on what Lampard is. Hope I’m wrong, hope he goes on to become that top level.

Like many others, I thought he took the Villa job too soon and should’ve stayed at Rangers longer and I’d be surprised if he’s still at Villa come the end of the season.

Your reason makes perfect sense and even more so because I’ve already been in your position at Old Trafford. Every ex United player so far I’ve seen  been sh*te when they tried management.  I was really worried at one time because there were strong rumours Giggs was getting the job a few year ago and I just knew from talking to him ( many years ago ) he didn’t appear to have what it takes.

On to SG, I was impressed with his talking and the way he went about things at Ranger and thought he might make it as a manager, but yet to  decided as it was too early in his career. Yes we know Scottish football massive down grade on our league but he did get off to a decent start.

Over to Villa and I have to say he’s been very well supported with transfers and on paper shouldn’t be where they’re in the league. I don’t think he will last the month out and just maybe that P45 is coming out.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6050: Sep 03, 2022 07:53:08 pm
      That result will do him some good.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6051: Sep 04, 2022 02:51:47 pm
      Him going to Rangers and then thinking he was ready for the EPL, when he wasn't, was the surest thing I've ever called in football.

And yet still got a draw against City.

He hasn't even been relegated yet like Rafa or Klopp!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #6052: Sep 05, 2022 05:37:23 am
      And yet still got a draw against City.

He hasn't even been relegated yet like Rafa or Klopp!!

I really want him to concede and given time he might. Just not sure he will get that time
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #6053: Sep 23, 2022 12:32:18 pm
      Great compilation.

Best midfielder of all time in my opinion

https://twitter.com/cf_compss/status/1573075348371152901?s=46&t=Ua3dwWKRKkUvtDLGADjsow
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6054: Sep 23, 2022 01:02:58 pm
      Great compilation.

Best midfielder of all time in my opinion

He’s up there with the best but Scholes & Lampard may have something to say about that. However, the way De Bruyne going he could and probably will become the best midfielder in the premier league era. He’s already equalled SGs record of assists with nearly 300 games less.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6055: Sep 23, 2022 05:30:49 pm
      He’s up there with the best but Scholes & Lampard may have something to say about that. However, the way De Bruyne going he could and probably will become the best midfielder in the premier league era. He’s already equalled SGs record of assists with nearly 300 games less.

yes try doing that with Traore or Biscan or the new Zidane in your team let alone Barros. If you dont want a real kicking probably best not to comment on this thread especially when you put Scholes and Lampard into a sentence. Rose tinted glasses or not there are somethings that are sacred, and Stevie G is one of them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6056: Sep 23, 2022 06:03:23 pm
      yes try doing that with Traore or Biscan or the new Zidane in your team let alone Barros. If you dont want a real kicking probably best not to comment on this thread especially when you put Scholes and Lampard into a sentence. Rose tinted glasses or not there are somethings that are sacred, and Stevie G is one of them.

Maybe sacred to you not me.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #6057: Sep 23, 2022 07:20:26 pm

Gerrard can do all of KDBs attacking output but also play any position on the pitch and superb defensive qualities.

There’s no contest.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #6058: Sep 23, 2022 07:34:35 pm

Sorry Keith - Gerrard is far greater and the argument goes well beyond numbers.

Obviously walt makes a valid point about Gerrard playing in teams that were nowhere near the quality that De Bruyne plays.

But more importantly Gerrard captured the imagination more than someone like De Bruyne. He lived those dream scenarios that every kid fantasises of on the football field. His willpower to forge glory out of desperate situations are the moments we all watch football for. His low against Chelsea in 2014 only added to the extremity of that. The euphoric high with the euphoric low. So much more poetic and so much more of a story. All wrapped up in Liverpool red. Scouse born and bred. Authentic and pure to the very last moment.

De Bruyne by comparison is a f**king robot. I find him a black hole of a personality and like everything that is drenched in Middle Eastern oil money, none of it is graceful or extraordinary. A great player but one who's career numbers are supercharged and wrapped up in blood money. Career mode on cheat mode - it is devoid of the sense of place, identity and effort that Gerrard's had. All of it, like Man City in general, is utterly artificial.
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2022 07:40:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6059: Sep 23, 2022 07:39:21 pm

Obviously walt makes a valid point about Gerrard playing in teams that were nowhere near the quality that De Bruyne plays.

But more importantly Gerrard captured the imagination more than someone like De Bruyne. He lived those dream scenarios that every kid fantasises of on the football field. His willpower to forge glory out of desperate situations are the moments we all watch football for. His low against Chelsea in 2014 only added to the extremity of that. The euphoric high with the euphoric low. So much more poetic and so much more of a story. All wrapped up in Liverpool red. Scouse born and bred. Authentic and pure to the very last moment.

De Bruyne by comparison is a f**king robot. I find him a black hole of a personality and like everything that is drenched in Middle Eastern oil money, none of it is graceful or extraordinary. A great player but one who's career is supercharged and wrapped up in blood money. It is devoid of the sense of place and identity that Gerrard's had. All of it, like Man City in general, is utterly artificial.

I’m not saying otherwise mate just what others players may think and yeah he’s playing in a exceptional team where it’s easier to shine. There’s no doubting the 3 players I named are right up their with the best anyway and obviously SG will top the list for you fans.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #6060: Sep 23, 2022 08:15:26 pm

De Bruyne by comparison is a f**king robot. I find him a black hole of a personality and like everything that is drenched in Middle Eastern oil money, none of it is graceful or extraordinary. A great player but one who's career numbers are supercharged and wrapped up in blood money. Career mode on cheat mode - it is devoid of the sense of place, identity and effort that Gerrard's had. All of it, like Man City in general, is utterly artificial.

Enjoyed reading that and agree with every word
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6061: Sep 23, 2022 08:39:11 pm

its a Liverpool forum have a little respect ffs not a football forum a Liverpool forum
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6062: Sep 23, 2022 09:07:40 pm
      its a Liverpool forum have a little respect ffs not a football forum a Liverpool forum

I’ve not shown any disrespect.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #6063: Sep 23, 2022 09:25:45 pm
      I’m not saying otherwise mate just what others players may think and yeah he’s playing in a exceptional team where it’s easier to shine. There’s no doubting the 3 players I named are right up their with the best anyway and obviously SG will top the list for you fans.

All good Keith and agree - and no doubt you think equally of Scholes!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #6064: Sep 23, 2022 09:41:58 pm
      Gerrard was the complete midfielder, more versatile than any other midfielder of his day and to the present even than De Bruyne, and he carried us for years to the height of European glory. Without him there's no Istanbul. In a team more befitting of his ability he would have won much more. Alan Ball (ex bitter) may he rest in peace called him the best midfielder in Europe.

The fact that there are people out there who think there is some sort of legitimate debate to be had as to who is the better of him and Lampard shows they know f*ck all about football. Scholes I understand as his vision and passing ability were out of the very top drawer and served as a model to the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. But Stevie had higher marks in more areas of his game.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6065: Sep 23, 2022 09:43:22 pm
      All good Keith and agree - and no doubt you think equally of Scholes!

Scholes too was in a class side and also deserves his legendary status as does SG. However, righty or wrongly I think De Bruyne just might surpass the pair of them, hopefully in time I will be proven wrong.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6066: Oct 10, 2022 10:14:48 pm
      He’s gonna get the sack isn’t he.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #6067: Oct 10, 2022 10:34:25 pm
      Got to be coming soon. Done nothing there considering what he's spent.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #6068: Oct 10, 2022 10:46:33 pm
      Got to be coming soon. Done nothing there considering what he's spent.
      Bib big mistake to sign Coutinho...he's crap
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #6069: Oct 10, 2022 11:25:16 pm
      Remember Stevie scored some superb goals, for LFC. You cannot replace a player, of his calibre !
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #6070: Oct 20, 2022 09:29:36 pm
      Calling it now, he'll be sacked in the morning. Shame it hasn't worked out for him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6071: Oct 20, 2022 09:29:50 pm
      Doubt he will make it to the weekend.

Quick Reply