Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Iphone vs. Smartphone - suggestions please!

Read 5077 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Iphone vs. Smartphone - suggestions please!
      Oct 01, 2011 12:43:06 pm
      My wife is looking to change phones, and really wanted an Iphone, but we just can't afford one right now.

I was hoping for your suggestions!

What's the best to go for, advantages or disadvantages?

She's looking for something with plenty of applications, a quality, value for money phone that's top drawer!

Thanks in advance for your responses! ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,307 posts | 2863 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Iphone vs. Smartphone - suggestions please!
      Reply #1: Oct 01, 2011 04:09:49 pm
      I've only got an iPhone. I know a lot of people in work who have Samsung's and they like them, but as to which one, I would not have a clue.

As Apple are taking Samsung to court over Copy Write issues, then I guess they must be very similar.

If needed I'd go for a Samsung, not a Blackberry, or Nokia, but as to which model, don't know.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Oct 01, 2011 05:29:11 pm
      I've got a Huawei Sonic which is only a cheapy Android phone but I reckon is pretty good for someone who wants an android on a tight budget.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Oct 01, 2011 07:13:08 pm
      To echo what RP said, I've had a go of a Samsung Galaxy S2 and they're fantastic. Read a very lengthy and in-depth comparison between that and the new HTC model (which I think was called the sensation) and although they both had their pros and cons, the S2 came out as clear winner. I'm considering one when I'm out of this contract.
      As for Blackberry, I don't know much about them except that 3 people I know had them, loved them for a month then couldn't wait to get rid. Not sure what the 'issues' are.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Oct 02, 2011 01:20:38 am
      iPhones use an old and outdated OS - don't get my wrong, they do the job they're supposed to, but Android is definitely the way forward at the moment.

As Apple are taking Samsung to court over Copy Write issues, then I guess they must be very similar.

That's only copyright on the design of the phone.

Other than that they're completely different.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #5: Oct 02, 2011 01:21:21 am
      Android is great, I've got a HTC phone, it is class and less than half the cost of iphone.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Oct 02, 2011 01:46:38 am
      The HTC Wildfire and Desire series of phones are quite nice. I think the Wildfire ones are fairly cheap on a contract now too. Haven't tried any Samsung smart phones myself.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,510 posts | 365 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #7: Oct 02, 2011 09:57:14 am
      Htc Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S2. Both high end phones though. :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Oct 03, 2011 04:46:25 pm
      I love my iPhone. Can't live without it.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #9: Oct 03, 2011 06:36:52 pm
      Have had a couple of Samsung phones in the past and they've been great, very reliable too. Haven't tried the Galaxy S2 yet but, I'm currently on the look out for a new phone myself and will be checking one out soon and will almost certainly get one.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #10: Oct 03, 2011 06:47:36 pm
      My mate just got the Samsung Galaxy S II, had a quick go on it and it's packed with features, and is ridiculously light, pretty cheap compared to the iphone on contract too.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Oct 03, 2011 07:10:45 pm
      Thanks for all the advice so far, appreciated! :)
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #12: Oct 03, 2011 07:58:36 pm
      any htc android all day long pal
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,808 posts | 7056 
      Reply #13: Oct 05, 2011 12:00:28 am
      The iPhone's are expensive.  And to be honest - they are now looking overly expensive.

The main criticism that used to be levelled at the Android's about a lack of apps is no longer valid.

The iPhone may have 100,000 or whatever, but probably only about 1000 or so are decent.  And the ones that are decent have enough support to have also brought out an Android app.  (In fact some applications like the maps etc are much much better on an Android phone).

Even though I have had an iPhone for a few years now, I wouldn't have any problem if someone took it away and gave me a fancy Samsung or even one of the HTC's.  (And gave me the money back obviously!)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #14: Oct 05, 2011 12:09:58 am
      It's a good point on the apps JD as most of the apps you would want are on both Android and Apple now.

Once I binned my Blackberry ( apps was one reason for this) I got an HTC Legend which is a really great looking phone although a little small.

I've got HTC Desire HD now and it is excellent and would recommend any HTC to be honest. Well made and feels quality and the HTC Sense interface is the best I've seen on Android.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,307 posts | 2863 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #15: Oct 05, 2011 10:44:35 am
      May get a deal now, as the iPhone 5 4S has been revealed.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #16: Oct 05, 2011 11:09:32 am
      Yep, iPhone 4 prices are dropping with the iphone 4S release not far away, not many differences between the two so expect alot more iphone 4s to be bought up, will see them popping up everywhere.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #17: Oct 05, 2011 04:01:44 pm
      Not overly impressed with the new iphone.

Will be looking at android alternatives now.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #18: Oct 05, 2011 04:38:52 pm
      The iPhone's are expensive.  And to be honest - they are now looking overly expensive.

The main criticism that used to be levelled at the Android's about a lack of apps is no longer valid.

The iPhone may have 100,000 or whatever, but probably only about 1000 or so are decent.  And the ones that are decent have enough support to have also brought out an Android app.  (In fact some applications like the maps etc are much much better on an Android phone).

Even though I have had an iPhone for a few years now, I wouldn't have any problem if someone took it away and gave me a fancy Samsung or even one of the HTC's.  (And gave me the money back obviously!)
      It wasn't me asking the initial question but I may be in the market for a new phone before long. Without sounding like a brown-nose, I just want to say thank you for the honest appraisal of the iPhone! I've no doubt that they are great phones but most people who own them seem very reluctant to admit to even the slightest flaw with them and it makes it difficult to decide whether they're worth the huge fee. +1
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #19: Oct 05, 2011 04:44:57 pm
      It wasn't me asking the initial question but I may be in the market for a new phone before long. Without sounding like a brown-nose, I just want to say thank you for the honest appraisal of the iPhone! I've no doubt that they are great phones but most people who own them seem very reluctant to admit to even the slightest flaw with them and it makes it difficult to decide whether they're worth the huge fee. +1

It's a good point rep. I love my HTC but there is a guy who works for me has an iPhone and won't hear a word against it.

I love to ask him to transfer photos via bluetooth as he goes very quiet :D

I'm sure iPhone is a great phone but the latest Android's are just as good as far as I'm concerned.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Reply #20: Oct 05, 2011 04:45:29 pm
      The Galaxy S is back

The Samsung Galaxy S II is the first Samsung phone to be powered by a dual-core processor. It runs Android version 2.3 (Gingerbread) and has an incredible 4.3 inch Super AMOLED touchscreen. Other highlights include 1080p Full HD video recording, an 8 megapixel still camera and a front-facing camera for making video calls.

Get it cheap on an upgrade too.

I think I have a winner.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #21: Oct 05, 2011 04:46:58 pm
      That's the one I was on about, mate. It's been out for a while. If I can wriggle out of my current contract then I'll probably go for that.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #22: Oct 05, 2011 04:51:44 pm
      I had an iPhone ever since the 1st gen - and they did totally turn the mobile phone on its head.

I sold my 3GS to fund the iP4 and was massively dissapointed with it (it was during all of the signal issues) I thought "I've spent £400 on a phone Apple knew had issues and then they dont even apologise but instead give out 'free' bumpers"

That was it for me.  I moved over to the darkside and I've had Blackberries since then.  Best phones out IMO.  The newest Bold 9900 is beautiful.

The iPhone 4 is still probably the best looking phone out there at the moment but compared the HTC, Samsung and LG - it is a long way off from being a market leader in terms of features.

Quick Reply