Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rangers 1:0 Liverpool, (Friendly) Pre-Live-Post match comments.

Read 16426 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Rangers 1:0 Liverpool, (Friendly) Pre-Live-Post match comments.
      Oct 04, 2011 11:26:24 am
      Reds to face Rangers

4th Oct 2011

Liverpool have announced they will take on Glasgow Rangers in a prestigious friendly later this month.

The Reds will travel to Glasgow for the fixture on Tuesday, October 18, (kick-off 7.30pm) for a match which will see Charlie Adam and Danny Wilson returning to Ibrox for the first time since moving south of the border.   

The two teams last met in a pre-season friendly in August 2008, with Liverpool running out 4-0 winners in Scotland.

Liverpool have been allocated up to 4,000 tickets for this fixture. Tickets will be priced at £25 for adults, £15 for over 65's and fans aged 16 or 17, with under 16's priced at £5 each.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-to-face-rangers
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011 07:38:48 pm by RedPuppy »
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Reds to face Rangers
      Reply #1: Oct 04, 2011 11:27:48 am
      Bizarre... just checked the fixtures for the Stoke game and saw that... wtf?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #2: Oct 04, 2011 11:32:08 am
      Bizarre... just checked the fixtures for the Stoke game and saw that... wtf?

It's an European fixtures week, and since both clubs are out of Europe, they've decided to play a friendly ... Nothing strange about it ...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Oct 04, 2011 11:34:38 am
      It's an European fixtures week, and since both clubs are out of Europe, they've decided to play a friendly ... Nothing strange about it ...

It's a bit odd considering a supposed plus side to being out of Europe is no mid-week fixtures.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #4: Oct 04, 2011 11:35:34 am
      Will be good to see the likes of Danny Wilson and Charlie Adam getting a little run out.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #5: Oct 04, 2011 11:36:31 am
      It's a bit odd considering a supposed plus side to being out of Europe is no mid-week fixtures.

Yes, but we won't play our strongest 11 I suppose. Good for the players who don't get too much game time.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Oct 04, 2011 11:37:43 am
      The two teams last met in a pre-season friendly in August 2008, with Liverpool running out 4-0 winners in Scotland.

I was at that match, it was brilliant  :)

Be good to get the same result, Adam and Wilson will relish this  :scarf:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #7: Oct 04, 2011 11:39:13 am
      Wonder if Agger may be available for this, might be an opportunity for Coates as well.

You will probably be able to work out the team from those who don't start the United game.

I wonder if this suggests that Adam won't be playing against the Mancs and that Dalglish intends to play Gerrard?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Oct 04, 2011 11:44:27 am
      Wonder if Agger may be available for this, might be an opportunity for Coates as well.

You will probably be able to work out the team from those who don't start the United game.

I wonder if this suggests that Adam won't be playing against the Mancs and that Dalglish intends to play Gerrard?

I'm sure he does, Stevie has looked better each time he's played, I'm sure he'll be chomping at the bit to get at the mancs.

Good opportunity for the likes of Spearing and some of the fringe players and maybe Glen Johnson to get a run out.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #9: Oct 04, 2011 11:45:19 am
      Will be good to see the likes of Danny Wilson and Charlie Adam getting a little run out.
      Kenny might throw a bit of mischief in the mix and field them both.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Oct 04, 2011 11:50:50 am

Of course there is something strange about it.  When was the last time a club played a friendly in the middle of the season? Everyone thought Blackburn were mad for flying the India for a friendly this week, we're now having one midweek, even if it is only to Scotland.

Thought being out of Europe we'd have the benefit of additional rest, especially after the mancs game.  It is not necessarily a bad thing like, just bizarre, strange thing to happen.  It will be like a training game I guess. Still weird.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #11: Oct 04, 2011 11:55:55 am
      Bit out of the blue, heard rumours we are due to play Celtic next preseason but nothing about this! Think I'll head along though, even if it isn't the full starting XI. Its not like we have a huge amount of games so Suarez may play.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #12: Oct 04, 2011 11:58:02 am
      Of course there is something strange about it.  When was the last time a club played a friendly in the middle of the season?

I'm sure we've done it - quite recently.

It's a friendly.  Probably only a margin amount more effort than they should be doing in training anyway, and I doubt any player is going to be run ragged for 90 minutes.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #13: Oct 04, 2011 12:09:10 pm
      Ohhh I don't know JD we need to protect Coates and Wilson from being torn apart by the one and only Kyle Lafferty! Come to think of it I think Rangers played AC Milan and/ or LA Galaxy at a similar time last few years. Money spinning friendlies to help alleviate the substantial money troubles.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #14: Oct 04, 2011 12:09:27 pm
      I'll be there. One of the closest grounds to me. Will try get away tickets too.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #15: Oct 04, 2011 12:13:30 pm
      I'm sure we've done it - quite recently.

When...?

It's a friendly.  Probably only a margin amount more effort than they should be doing in training anyway, and I doubt any player is going to be run ragged for 90 minutes.

Of course, it will be like a training game.  Still weird.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #16: Oct 04, 2011 12:38:47 pm
      Weird and pointless. If we get an injury I'll be raging
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17: Oct 04, 2011 12:43:35 pm
      If we suffer any injurys in this pointless match ill pissed! Send the kids team up instead.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Oct 04, 2011 12:57:16 pm
                                  Doni

Flanagan       Coates       Wilson       Aurelio

Spearing 

Henderson           Adam

Kuyt                                           Maxi
                                Bellamy

That would do for the first half.
      Obviously we run the risk of some injuries,
      but it would be a good game for giving a descent run out to a lot of fringe players.

Take out Henderson and Kuyt and put in some others if you want, but I don't think
      Suarez, Carroll or Gerrard should feature too heavily if at all.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: Oct 04, 2011 01:03:23 pm
      Weird and pointless. If we get an injury I'll be raging

Of course it is not pointless ... We have players coming back from injury, who are not very likely to play against the Mancs ... The likes of Agger, Johnson and Aurelio should benefit from a 45-minutes fitness test ... Also, our squad players like Doni, Coates, Spearing, Wilson, Flanagan, Robinson and the likes would benefit from such a game ...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #20: Oct 04, 2011 01:11:25 pm

12 years ago.  We played a full strength team in an October friendly - fundraising for the Omagh Bomb disaster.

Funnily enough that was the 18th October as well.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Oct 04, 2011 01:22:26 pm
      It is a meaningless match, if players returning from injury needs some game time, that's what the reserve team is for.
      Given our history of injuries ruining our season, this match is an unnecessary risk.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #22: Oct 04, 2011 01:48:07 pm
      great to see this it gives fringe players a chance to get a run out
      also a good money spinner for rangers which is great to see

YNWA

Quick Reply