Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Bioshock

Read 2639 times
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Bioshock
      Sep 14, 2007 05:30:09 am
      http://sweetflag.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/gaming-update/

If you ask what my gaming style is I would say it tends to jump around alot. Normally 1 title will hold more of my attention while a few others will niggle away at me in the background. This is true when I am playing in a MMORPG but with my WoW account frozen until mid October, the closest I am to playing a MMORPG is my playing of Travian.

Travian for me, is still in the protection phase. Which means my village of Bosmia cannot be raided just yet but in preparation for expected future attacks the village now has a ‘City Wall’. Strange that it’s classed a City wall when at present, Bosmia is sure still a village. The cranny is now level 3 with the villages production values as follows:

Wood 20 per hour

Clay 36 per hour

Iron 24 per hour

Wheat 8 per hour

Demo’s

In the past week I have downloaded 3 demos. World in Conflict, which I mentioned in back last Saturday & also Bioshock & Enemy Territory - Quakewars.

This is the busiest I have been in a long time with regards to checking out new games or demos & 3 demos could have been a little bit overkill for me.

Bioshock

That is until I downloaded the Bioshock demo…not once, not twice but three times! Two disconnections & the final download returning me a zipped file that wouldn’t extract. At this point I did something out of character, I turned to the Game website & ordered myself a copy of Bioshock for the PC.

I hear you, yeah I’m such a risk taker!

In my frustration at not being able to play the Bioshock demo I discovered a very good video review on the Gametrailer site:(on site!)

So I looked back over my games collection I discovered an interesting oddity, Bioshock will be the first non-multiplayer game I have bought for the PC in years. I normally reserve the single player games that I buy to the PS2. The ordering of Bioshock is my birthday treat to myself, as I had allowed myself 1 new game purchase. I just never expected that game to be Bioshock!

I’m sure to give Bioshock a good going over this weekend as I have more time than normal available to me for gaming! Look out for my thoughts soon.

World in Conflict & Enemy Terroritory - Quake Wars

I haven’t had a proper look over ET - Quake Wars so will hold judgement on what the demo offers just now.

World in Conflict has a nicely arranged tutorial to work through to ease you into the gameplay & I ran through it as I’ll admit my RTS playing is a little weak.

The games’ graphics are very nice & dramatic. Trees can be run down, buildings destroyed & napalm released. The one thing that hasn’t yet inspired me is the storyline or the tension that should be there…

USSR invading USA!

There should be bucket loads of melodrama!

…so far World in Conflict is giving me none of the Red Dawn inspired feel whatsoever & as yet I haven’t even tried a multiplayer game. Shame really as I expected to choose this as my Birthday gaming title but on the evidence so far it may only be a demo sitting on my desktop once Bioshock gets it’s claws into me!
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2007 02:33:42 pm by DM Osbon, Reason: added article »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Bioshock
      Reply #1: Sep 14, 2007 07:59:27 am
      Got this for the 360 the day it came out. Fantastic game!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Sep 14, 2007 02:30:30 pm
      Have you finished it yet?
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Sep 14, 2007 06:25:23 pm
      Nope I can't be far off though, tis quite a big game! Have you?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: Sep 15, 2007 02:38:48 pm
      Out of interest - why's the WOW account frozen?
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #5: Sep 15, 2007 03:12:04 pm
      Out of interest - why's the WOW account frozen?

Am away for two weeks next weekend & to buy another month when my previous month had run out would have meant wasting 2 weeks of my WoW account with it not being used.

First impressions post follows...

Bioshock, a league ahead?
      http://sweetflag.wordpress.com/2007/09/15/bioshock-a-league-ahead/

†Reading the following may spoil your enjoyment of Bioshock, if like me your as slow as a snail!†

So I’m playing a single player game again on a PC.

I have only reached the 2nd level, Medical Pavilion & know that there are 2 Little Sisters along the path on this level so before I reach them I’ll mention a few thoughts & impressions…

Bioshock does an excellent job of telling a good story within a game. The cut scenes within the action are seamless, from the plane crash at the very start to the first play with EVE inside Rapture. Admittedly I have been caught out a couple of times when a new cut scene beginnings.

Rapture is fathoms beneath an unidentified sea & gives me that 1950’s sci fi movie feel but in some twisted futuristic vision. The immersion into the environment of the game is unlike anything I have played in single player mode. The subtle sound effects, the ’50’s music & the great dialogue bouncing all around you draws you deeper & deeper into despair of the city.

You slowly get to find out some background to Rapture & it’s inhabitants from diaries that are littered about. These diaries, when activated, give a glorious atmospheric soundbite from the past that goes to intensify the feeling of dread that Rapture now oozes.

Also a character named Atlas communicates to you via a radio in this early part of the game with hints & objectives to achieve. He is held up somewhere within Rapture & so is his family, who are separated from him. You are asked early on by him to rescue them but that is all I know about this allusive character.

So what of your character? Well little seems to be know. This got me thinking maybe not knowing is a plot device that later in the game more will be revealed about who you are.

Could it be that you have more in connection with Rapture than you know?

I have linked a great Bioshock guide for those interested on the links page.More updates later this weekend.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2007 03:20:13 pm by DM Osbon »
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2008 05:34:16 pm
      Got this from play.com for £14.99 on 360 - fantastic storyline & gameplay. Well worth the money!

Quick Reply