Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Very Bold Statement

Read 5520 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Very Bold Statement
      Sep 14, 2007 12:03:54 pm
      If we win at Pompy - we will win the league !

MsGerrard
      Re: Very Bold Statement
      Reply #1: Sep 14, 2007 12:13:31 pm
      There is still a very long way to go yet, but I admire your bravery with such a bold statement.

I think if we are there or thereabouts around Christmas time, I might be inclined to agree with you.

I like your optimism.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #2: Sep 14, 2007 12:16:38 pm
      There is still a very long way to go yet, but I admire your bravery with such a bold statement.

I think if we are there or thereabouts around Christmas time, I might be inclined to agree with you.

I like your optimism.

These are the sort of games we don't pick up points from - so this is a true test of our 'muscle'.

Hence my confidence, if we do win !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #3: Sep 14, 2007 12:20:42 pm
      Far too bold a statement especially as the other top teams have got something out of the Pompey game.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #4: Sep 14, 2007 12:24:10 pm
      Far too bold a statement especially as the other top teams have got something out of the Pompey game.

Am I right in saying none of the other top teams have a win against Pompy at Fratton Park ?

Then the statement isn't too bold.  This will send out a real message...I honestly beleive that.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2007 12:26:22 pm by Richobaz »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Sep 14, 2007 12:40:02 pm
      That statement's far too bold for me too. Out of our last four away games against Pompey we've won three, the one defeat coming when we rested half our first team for the Champions League.

April 2007: Portsmouth 2-1 Liverpool
      May 2006: Portsmouth 1-3 Liverpool
      Jan 2006: Portsmouth 1-2 Liverpool
      April 2005: Portsmouth 1-2 Liverpool

Beating them tomorrow wouldn't really mean we're acheiving something we haven't in the past, start picking up wins against Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal and then I'll start talking about winning the league.

Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #6: Sep 14, 2007 12:50:15 pm
      Aye about Christmas time would be a time to make bold statements.

A win tomorrow puts us on 13 points, which could be as many as 80 points from winning the league.

Although if we go there and give them a good thumping it would suggest that our previous woeful away form could well be a thing of the past, but I want to see it quite a few times before I'm convinced. The Villa game was cause for opitimism but again, I want to see it far more often.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #7: Sep 14, 2007 12:52:07 pm
      start picking up wins against Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal and then I'll start talking about winning the league.

thats got to be the benchmark for us,

Beating Pompey away is a must win game as is every other game if we want the title but unless we thrash them by 5 or 6 I doubt the others will be concerned I know the urinals only managed a 1-1 draw but you can be sure they want lose many from now on in

Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #8: Sep 14, 2007 01:06:28 pm
      I think it's a must win game, but if we do win I don't think it will mean we'll win the league.

You can only start talkin about winning the league after christmas.

But I hope your right! ;D
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #9: Sep 14, 2007 01:10:43 pm
      Aye about Christmas time would be a time to make bold statements.

A win tomorrow puts us on 13 points, which could be as many as 80 points from winning the league.

Although if we go there and give them a good thumping it would suggest that our previous woeful away form could well be a thing of the past, but I want to see it quite a few times before I'm convinced. The Villa game was cause for opitimism but again, I want to see it far more often.

But at Christmas it won't be a Very Bold Statement.  It might not be bold at all or maybe just a little bit bold.

This statement now is Very Bold.

It's optimistic.  It's daring.  It's downright foolhardy.  It's a statement nobody in their right mind would make four games into the season. 

In other words typical Richobaz. ;D ;D ;D
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #10: Sep 14, 2007 01:44:40 pm
      there are alot more games which we need to beat, which are around pompy skill level, but if Arsenal lose, we win, i believe it will be our year
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #11: Sep 14, 2007 01:50:41 pm
      In other words typical Richobaz. ;D ;D ;D

Amen to that :D
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Sep 14, 2007 01:59:34 pm
      So if we lose then The Mancs ,The Arse and Chelsea win are we then out of the title race, or doesn't it work both ways? I agree that these are games we need to get something from (preferably a win) if we are to challenge for the title but to suggest a win in the middle of September is going to win the league for you is daft,whether it is against Portsmouth or Man U for that matter.
      The league is a marathon not a sprint and if this season we can avoid a Paula Radcliffe, no not stopping by the side of the road for a crap! :o but falling away before the finish then yes this game will have been important, but what would be the point of winning tomorrow then losing our next one? A win Saturday for me means we are improving our consistency, Sunderland Villa and hopefully Pompey are all nice wins that will tally up for next May(or April hopefully ;D) and not title decider's in early Autumn.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Sep 14, 2007 02:04:44 pm
       i disagree with eddie c  even if we lost against arsenal man u and chelsea home and away ---which we wont--- and win all the other games we would still win the league these away games at the likes of pompey{no disrespect to them} are the most important cause we have a formidable record at anfield
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Sep 14, 2007 02:14:22 pm

Why not, everyone else does :D

Seriously though, you believe we could lose all 6 games against the other 'big three' and still win the league? I understand that mathematically we could by winning all our other games, but we're not going to win every game. I wasn't stating we would win the league if we beat all three anyway, merely stating that it would be more likely to get me talking about winning the league than a win against Portsmouth in our fifth game of the season.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Sep 14, 2007 02:21:53 pm
      I'm sure we all know how the league works and by saying we'll win the league after beating Pompey - which would be our fifth league game, is near insanity.
      It's good to be confident and hopefully confidence will grow as the season progresses, but it's far too early for me to agree with Richobaz. Three points against Pompey will help towards keeping us top of the league. And that's all I'm thinking about at this stage.

I'm sure he'll be impressed with the reaction to this thread though.  ;)
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #16: Sep 14, 2007 02:33:31 pm
      Of course you can't take the statement literally - I know it's only one game in a very long hard season...but...

everyone will be looking for our first 'wobble' - our first signs of weakness...Pompy a top 8 team now, will want to show the rest - how to do it...

If we can pull an impressive victory off here - I believe it's in our own hands !
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Sep 14, 2007 02:35:53 pm
      i dont believe we will lose all 6  games against the other 'big three' i firmly believe that we wont lose more than three games this season{barring serious injuries} all im saying is that it was our away form last season that put us of the title race so early   drew against aston villa 0-0 this season won 2-1
                                        drew against sheff united1-1 this seson won 2-0 against sunderland
      i know he rested players but still lost to pompey 2-1 and a win tomorrow  would give us nine points as apose to the two we got last season
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Sep 14, 2007 03:00:00 pm
      I know he rested players but still lost to pompey 2-1

When you look at the team we put out last season it's hardly any surprise we lost really:

Jerzy Dudek 
      Emiliano Insua 
      Sami Hyypia (c) 
      Gabriel Paletta 
      Alvaro Arbeloa 
      Boudewijn Zenden 
      Xabi Alonso 
      Momo Sissoko 
      Mark Gonzalez 
      Craig Bellamy 
      Robbie Fowler 

Even if you compared this to what would widely be regarded as our 'second string' this season, we would still have a much better team this year, so I don't think you can read too much into that result. The fact that the three times before that we won away from home gives a clearer indication of the result we should want & expect from this game.

it was our away form last season that put us of the title race so early   drew against aston villa 0-0 this season won 2-1

We didn't play Villa away last season until March, so I don't see how it put us out of the title race early? I also don't agree it was our away form that ruined things for us last season, rather our form at the start of the season in general. It is easy to look at the results only & assume that playing away was the problem, but we were also very poor at home for the early part of last season, and with the exception of an extremely poor Tottenham it took us a fair while to get a convincing win under our belts, scraping the three points in most games.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #19: Sep 14, 2007 04:32:34 pm
      Of course you can't take the statement literally - I know it's only one game in a very long hard season...but...

everyone will be looking for our first 'wobble' - our first signs of weakness...Pompy a top 8 team now, will want to show the rest - how to do it...

If we can pull an impressive victory off here - I believe it's in our own hands !

Don't be intimidated Richobaz!

Stick to your guns.

After all what have you got to lose.  If we don't make it you can say you were just supporting the team.  If you are right think of the bragging rights it gives you.

Who dares wins! (or ends up really in the sh*t) ???
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #20: Sep 14, 2007 04:38:45 pm
      When you look at the team we put out last season it's hardly any surprise we lost really:

Jerzy Dudek 
      Emiliano Insua 
      Sami Hyypia (c) 
      Gabriel Paletta 
      Alvaro Arbeloa 
      Boudewijn Zenden 
      Xabi Alonso 
      Momo Sissoko 
      Mark Gonzalez 
      Craig Bellamy 
      Robbie Fowler 

That team should probably have beaten Portsmouth.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Sep 14, 2007 05:00:24 pm
      That team should probably have beaten Portsmouth.

I'd disagree, Portsmouth are a handy team & shouldn't be underestimated. The fact that 6 members of that team are no longer with us speaks volumes, and two out of the other five are marked on reserves for this season.
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #22: Sep 14, 2007 05:34:09 pm
      two out of the other five are marked on reserves for this season.

Insua and who else?

momo alonso hyypia and arbeloa aren't reserves

Quick Reply