Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Right Wing

Read 11031 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Right Wing
      Reply #23: Oct 17, 2011 08:13:00 am
      I think that a right-sided combination of Kelly/Johnson would work similarly to Enrique/Downing on the left. They can overlap and especially in the case of Kelly/Johnson both defend when the other is attacking and vice versa. Against a side like Norwich I think that Johnson's pace would be helpful and it's not as if Kuyt has been clinical in front of goal. He gets picked on his 'work ethic' but when I watch he is often short when attacking (as in not forward enough to receive a pass/cross) because he spends too much time defending and worrying about 'working hard defensively' than getting forward and attacking the left back which is in fact the job of the right winger.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Oct 17, 2011 08:32:05 am
      I think that a right-sided combination of Kelly/Johnson would work similarly to Enrique/Downing on the left. They can overlap and especially in the case of Kelly/Johnson both defend when the other is attacking and vice versa. Against a side like Norwich I think that Johnson's pace would be helpful and it's not as if Kuyt has been clinical in front of goal. He gets picked on his 'work ethic' but when I watch he is often short when attacking (as in not forward enough to receive a pass/cross) because he spends too much time defending and worrying about 'working hard defensively' than getting forward and attacking the left back which is in fact the job of the right winger.
      I agree with you,I think back to last season when a lot of posters were wanting to buy a right back and move Johnson further forward.That was prior to Kelly establishing himself in the team only to get injured,Johnson has the speed to operate further forward but he is suspect in defence at times.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #25: Oct 17, 2011 11:12:47 am
      Bellamy or Maxi on the right for me.
      plyred
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      • It's bigger on the inside
      Reply #26: Oct 17, 2011 11:37:19 am
      I prefer Bellamy or Kuyt on the right wing with Johnson or Kelly behind. Maxi plays better on the left wing.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #27: Oct 17, 2011 01:11:51 pm
      For the time being I'd give it a try. If it didn't work by next summer then there's our next target for the transfer window: a right winger.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #28: Oct 17, 2011 01:47:13 pm
      Good thread. Surprised it hasn't been done before.

Sounds okay on paper giving Johnson a try on the right wing but as we the fans have been talking about it for some time my thinking is that Kenny, Hodgson (maybe) and Rafa must have thought about this aswell. At least one of them must have give it a go in training and seen something that we haven't and give it the thumbs down.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #29: Oct 17, 2011 02:07:15 pm
      Johnson has played as a right mid for Pompey and did quite well there when asked, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to play there for us.  He has all of the necessary ingredients to be an effective RM/RW, so it is worth giving him a shot before we splash big cash on another player for that position.  I think he would work very well just ahead of Kelly in a traditional 4-4-2.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,156 posts | 3385 
      Reply #30: Oct 17, 2011 02:11:59 pm
      Good thread. Surprised it hasn't been done before.

Sounds okay on paper giving Johnson a try on the right wing but as we the fans have been talking about it for some time my thinking is that Kenny, Hodgson (maybe) and Rafa must have thought about this aswell. At least one of them must have give it a go in training and seen something that we haven't and give it the thumbs down.

Possibly circumstances to be fair mate, Rafa didn't really have another right back as he didn't give Kelly many games - due to Kelly's age and injuries (before I get jumped on for having even the slightest dig at Rafa when I wasn't) and Degen was in the injury room more than the club doctor. Hodgson didn't have another right back as he too didn't give Kelly many games. And since Kenny took over, we've been in need of a left back where Johnson played or Johnson has been injured. If it was to happen though I'd of said it would of been under Rafa as I remember him playing Josemi, Finnan and Kromkamp on the right wing for a few games here and there during his first couple of years.

I'm still against the idea for now because what isn't broken doesn't need fixing. Last two games probably been our best performances of the season and that's come with Kuyt on the right. So for me, Kuyt has earned that slot for the Norwich game. If he has a shocker then fair enough things may need changing. If he continues to play alright like he has done against Everton and United then he keeps his place when we go to the Hawthorns.

Fact that we've got the League Cup and the friendly with Rangers between now and West Brom means there's a couple of chances where Kenny could try out Johnson on the right wing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Oct 17, 2011 02:19:21 pm

QED
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #32: Oct 17, 2011 02:22:42 pm
      Agree with keeping Dirk there me self for the moment.

Hendo wasn't doing it there (not his natural position I know) and since Kuyts come back in we have looked a different outfit up top. Not a natural winger I know but he is unorthadox and tracks back well and pops up in some super positions. Wouldn't like to be an LB against him.

If Johno was to be given a go there it would have to be against Rangers. If not forget it because I cant see Kenny doing it in the Carling this year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #33: Oct 17, 2011 02:25:16 pm
      Agree with Dirk on the right and also with Gerrard back him and Dirk interchange very well which also allows Kelly to overlap.

Although Kuyt isn't a natural wide player our movement always seems to be better when he play there which gives the opposition more to think about when defending.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,156 posts | 3385 
      Reply #34: Oct 17, 2011 02:30:08 pm
      If Johno was to be given a go there it would have to be against Rangers. If not forget it because I cant see Kenny doing it in the Carling this year.

I can't mate, Kenny is treating the League Cup with a lot of respect. Thankfully!

It could be plausible against Rangers with Flanno just slotting in at right back and giving Kelly the night off or Kenny could use it to have a half of both Flanno and Johnson at right back. (if it's that 11 subs per side nonsense that you get in friendlies)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: Oct 17, 2011 03:28:01 pm
      If I am honest I expected we would sell Johnson last summer , maybe we should just move him on and use the fee to fund a genuine right winger at Christmas?

I appreciate it is always advantagous to have a player that can cover in emergency, but I prefer round pegs in round holes if there's any option. 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #36: Oct 17, 2011 03:32:39 pm
      If I am honest I expected we would sell Johnson last summer

Why would we sell the best right full-back at the club ?
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #37: Oct 17, 2011 03:38:06 pm
      Thought he was going to do a very good job for us. , even if I did think he was overpriced. It seems injuries have played apart in his failure & now we have Kelly. Please, people are you really thinking the staff havent thought about playing him RW? If they havent tried it in training & not liked it I'd be very surprised. I don't think he is an out & out right winger anyway. I'd deploy him as a WB or perhaps in a 343 with Enrique though
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: Oct 17, 2011 03:51:10 pm
      Why would we sell the best right full-back at the club ?

Because Kelly is better and we have good cover in Flanagan. Johnson is on very high wages (apparently £115k per week), we could  presumably get a goodly sum for him and he seems to have injury problems.

I would certainly prefer to use the money we could get for him and buy a genuine winger, than play him as a winger anyway.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #39: Oct 17, 2011 03:57:45 pm
      Because Kelly is better and we have good cover in Flanagan. Johnson is on very high wages (apparently £115k per week), we could  presumably get a goodly sum for him and he seems to have injury problems.

I would certainly prefer to use the money we could get for him and buy a genuine winger, than play him as a winger anyway.

Kelly is a very talented young player, and has a great career at LFC in front of him ... He is definitely not better than Johnson yet, and he won't be for another couple of years ... Just because Johnson has been struggling with injuries recently, it doesn't means that he has suddenly forgotten how to play the game ...
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #40: Oct 17, 2011 03:59:58 pm

I think we will struggle to get a decent price for him. High wages & injuries will put people off. I found it a bizarre signing at the time (price wise) & unfortunately I have been proved right.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Oct 17, 2011 04:04:07 pm
      Kelly is a very talented young player, and has a great career at LFC in front of him ... He is definitely not better than Johnson yet, and he won't be for another couple of years ... Just because Johnson has been struggling with injuries recently, it doesn't means that he has suddenly forgotten how to play the game ...

This thread is about playing Johnson on the right wing..... I would prefer a genuine winger myself. So I would sell him and buy a winger with the money.

Obviously most like myself think Kelly is better defensively or we wouldn't be discusing moving Johnson to the right wing, but perhaps moving Kelly to CB? 

I think we will struggle to get a decent price for him. High wages & injuries will put people off. I found it a bizarre signing at the time (price wise) & unfortunately I have been proved right.

So did I mate, still think we could get a decent price for him though (£10/12million or so). His wages were what really shocked me at the time.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #42: Oct 17, 2011 04:10:51 pm
      This thread is about playing Johnson on the right wing..... I would prefer a genuine winger myself. So I would sell him and buy a winger with the money.

Obviously most like myself think Kelly is better defensively or we wouldn't be discusing moving Johnson to the right wing, but perhaps moving Kelly to CB? 

The idea of moving Johnson to the right wing, in order to accommodate Kelly, is flawed from the beginning ... Kelly is slightly better defensively, but he brings less than Johnson in the attacking sense ... Now, considering that we are talking about LFC being a title contender in a not so distant future, it usually means that we should be playing some attacking football, trying to break down the weaker teams ... In that type of football, Johnson is still the superior player at the right full-back position ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Oct 17, 2011 04:16:30 pm
      The idea of moving Johnson to the right wing, in order to accommodate Kelly, is flawed from the beginning ... Kelly is slightly better defensively, but he brings less than Johnson in the attacking sense ... Now, considering that we are talking about LFC being a title contender in a not so distant future, it usually means that we should be playing some attacking football, trying to break down the weaker teams ... In that type of football, Johnson is still the superior player at the right full-back position ...

Depends on who is playing in front of him for me mate. If it's Kuyt you have an argument, if it's Downing or Gerrard .... not so much. Buy a new winger and presumably Kelly's defensive superiority would again have the edge.... so use the Johnson sale to help fund the winger and we are sorted.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #44: Oct 17, 2011 04:23:24 pm

Kelly can get forward as well, maybe the 2 good work in tandem interchanging & over lapping. Thing is I can't believe it hasnt been talked about & tried in training.

I agree with s@int
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #45: Oct 17, 2011 04:25:01 pm
      With Kelly now doing a fantastic job at right back and having young Flanno able to step up if need be is it not time to get Glen Johnson fit and push him further upfield.

I don't rate Johnson as a defender so would be happy to see him used as a right winger.

Lots of option for the reds now in all positions.  In fact I've thought that so far, Downing has looked better when he has had a little spell on the right.

He is definitely not better than Johnson yet

In your opinion...

Quick Reply