Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Right Wing

Read 11001 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Right Wing
      Reply #69: Oct 20, 2011 10:19:25 am
      Big misconception that attacking full backs can play in wide midfield roles, they can't, while Alves Maicon Johnson etc look good going forward, they are driving into space rather than having someone marking them on there back. Alves started as a wide midfielder and only excelled when he dropped further back.

There is a massive difference between the full back role and the wide midfield role. Maybe Johnson could play as a wing back but defo not as a wide back. Ask yourselves why have Mourinho Rafa Capello Redknapp and Dalglish have not played him in this role if it is as obvious as some on here seem to think.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #70: Oct 20, 2011 10:52:01 am
      I still think he'd provide us more natural width and a better balance on the right than Kuyt as much as I love Kuyt he very rarely stretches the opposition defense by hugging the touchline beating his man and whipping a cross in.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #71: Oct 20, 2011 12:27:14 pm
      With Kelly now doing a fantastic job at right back and having young Flanno able to step up if need be is it not time to get Glen Johnson fit and push him further upfield.

The balance and pace that both Enrique and Downing possess out on the left strectches the opposition and a lot of our good play comes from down that side.

Now Kelly we know has pace and will bomb up and down the flank all day long aslong as his hammy's hold out, but when it comes to Kuyt you never really see him skinning his man for pace and thats not a slant on Dirk.

Just for me I think by pushing Johnson that little further upfield could possibly solve a problematic position without needing to spend a penny and allow us to put our money to use in other areas.

Thoughts ?

I've been saying this since last season, since kelly proved himself to be not only a pacy right back capable of pushing up and getting crosses in, but also being a better defender then johnson.

Johnson is a good right winger and having our flanks surrounded in pace would make us a far more potent, attacking side. Imagine the service Suarez and Geordie would get?

Personally, this is the regular first 11 I'd like to aim for

Baldy
      Kelly       Carra(Coates soon)    Agger       Enrique
      Johnson         Lucas           Adam           Downing
                        Stevie
                                   Suarez

Can drop Adam for other games, push stevie back and bring in Caroll. FAIL SAFE PLAN!!!
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #72: Oct 20, 2011 12:33:13 pm
      I've been saying this since last season, since kelly proved himself to be not only a pacy right back capable of pushing up and getting crosses in, but also being a better defender then johnson.

Johnson is a good right winger and having our flanks surrounded in pace would make us a far more potent, attacking side. Imagine the service Suarez and Geordie would get?

Personally, this is the regular first 11 I'd like to aim for

Baldy
      Kelly       Carra(Coates soon)    Agger       Enrique
      Johnson         Lucas           Adam           Downing
                        Stevie
                                   Suarez

Can drop Adam for other games, push stevie back and bring in Caroll. FAIL SAFE PLAN!!!

This looks good to me but I'd drop Adam having Stevie playing deeper as I feel he's better when running from deep and start Carroll.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #73: Oct 20, 2011 04:00:58 pm
      Big misconception that attacking full backs can play in wide midfield roles, they can't, while Alves Maicon Johnson etc look good going forward, they are driving into space rather than having someone marking them on there back. Alves started as a wide midfielder and only excelled when he dropped further back.

There is a massive difference between the full back role and the wide midfield role. Maybe Johnson could play as a wing back but defo not as a wide back. Ask yourselves why have Mourinho Rafa Capello Redknapp and Dalglish have not played him in this role if it is as obvious as some on here seem to think.

I more or less agree with this. Obviously there are exceptions who have made the transition from full back, but as Corbally says if Johnson is capable of playing well on the right wing, surely he would have played there much more than he has.

If he is deemed surplus to requirements at both Left and Right back (even as cover) we should sell him and buy the top class winger we all crave. (which I am sure Corbally won't agree with :) )
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #74: Oct 20, 2011 04:15:24 pm
      Id actually prefer to sell Johnson than play him right midfield saint. And as you say use the money to buy a natural right midfielder but for me Johnson gives more to the team at right back than Kelly and for me he is the best right back at the club doesn't have the game intelligence to play further forward
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #75: Oct 20, 2011 10:16:37 pm
      Glen Johnson deserves a run at RW ,i think he couldle  offer us that little bit that Walcott offers Arsenal and England.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #76: Oct 20, 2011 10:40:24 pm
      Glen Johnson deserves a run at RW ,i think he couldle  offer us that little bit that Walcott offers Arsenal and England.

Very little then.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #77: Oct 20, 2011 11:54:49 pm
      Kenny been giving Glen Johnson some top secret winger training at Melwood while he has been out?
      Could be our new secret weapon.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #78: Oct 21, 2011 09:31:16 am
      Big misconception that attacking full backs can play in wide midfield roles, they can't, while Alves Maicon Johnson etc look good going forward, they are driving into space rather than having someone marking them on there back.
      I more or less agree with this. Obviously there are exceptions who have made the transition from full back, but as Corbally says if Johnson is capable of playing well on the right wing, surely he would have played there much more than he has.

Personally I'd always thought that Glen could fill the right wing position, if given a chance but you both make a very sound and reasoned arguments as to why he can't so now I'm not so sure.

However I will say this: Dirk (at Right-Wing) isn't exactly the most proficient at beating a full-back; either with pace or dribbling skills yet he has played there an awful lot. I can't see how Glen would be worse or less effective, if you like.

In my opinion we'd be foolish to sell a quality player like Glen (strength in depth) and 'sell to buy' will never sit comfortably with me but If he really needs to be sold to buy a 'dedicated' winger and drop/move Kuyt then so be it as we're less well off in that position.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #79: Oct 21, 2011 12:15:38 pm

However I will say this: Dirk (at Right-Wing)

Got to add that I think we have to differentiate between a right-winger & a right midfielder.  I know it sounds silly & pedantic, but for me, their is a huge difference.  For example, Mcmanaman - right winger, Houghton - right midfielder.  I expect different things from the two roles as well.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #80: Oct 21, 2011 12:18:15 pm
      Less defensive responsibilities for the right winger
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #81: Oct 21, 2011 12:42:42 pm
      Not just defensively though Corbs, I don't expect a right midfielder to be taking on his full back as much. Always thought that wingers were more individualists, which has it's pros & cons, whereas wide midfielders always seem to have a much more recognizable  partnership with the full back, both defensively & offensively, which again comes with its own pros & cons.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #82: Oct 21, 2011 01:35:33 pm
      Everytime I read this thread I always think it has something to do with a political movement.

Anyway, I think it's horses for courses. If we're playing Carroll up front I'd favour having Johnson up there as he does like to get to the line. If not, I think Kuyt is always gonna get the nod ahead of the Johnson notion.

For me, I think the right wing could benefit from someone who can do both the graft and link up play as Kuyt along with the drive of Johnson. Have we got such a player other than say Downing?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #83: Oct 21, 2011 02:12:08 pm
      Got to add that I think we have to differentiate between a right-winger & a right midfielder.
      The point of debate was that Glen wouldn't be less able to beat his man as a winger (given that wing-backs are more adept at running into space) but your 'qualification' isn't a problem Gene although I thought I'd covered it, when I wrote:
      to buy a 'dedicated' winger and drop/move Kuyt then so be it.
      Now, whilst I understand that 'we' are now making a distinction between right-wing and right-midfield, I'll still stand over my assertion that if Dirk can play 'on the right'; then it follows that Glen could too. Similarly it follows; if 'we' all agree that it's a dedicated right-winger we're in need of then neither Dirk or Glen are the answer.

I think it can be safely argued that neither Glen or Dirk live up to the title 'dedicated winger'- then again, until Glen is tried there, none of us can say for sure.  :-\

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2011 02:27:25 pm by bad boy bubby »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Oct 21, 2011 05:37:26 pm
      Same here RK. Forgot this was a football thread. Sorry lads I'm more left wing liberal myself. Inverted right winger it is then.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #85: Oct 21, 2011 09:19:41 pm
      right wing=hazard ;D
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #86: Oct 22, 2011 09:41:59 am
      Clarke on Kelly v Glen v Flanno

22nd Oct 2011

Steve Clarke says the competition between Glen Johnson, Martin Kelly and Jon Flanagan for position is great for the club.

England right-back Johnson is now fit following a spate of injuries but knows England U21 regular Kelly has been excellent in his absence.

And seniority does not guarantee a place on the teamsheet, according to Clarke.

"I don't think Glen would expect that and I don't think anybody would expect that," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Martin has been in there for most of the season and has done a really good job. Glen knows he'll have to compete for that position and that's what you want, you want competition for every position on the pitch."

While Kelly and Johnson are the most senior players battling for a slot on the right side of Kenny Dalglish's defence, it should not be forgotten that 18-year-old Flanagan did a sterling job in that position at the end of last season.

The Academy product is also an England U21 regular and was handed a new contract by the club this summer.

Clarke's message to him is: "Just keep going, keep doing what you're doing, and make the most of the opportunities that come your way.

"Flanno has been excellent, he did a terrific job for the team at the end of last season, no one's forgotten that. He's a young boy and has plenty of time in front of him. His time will come."

Clarke often played at full-back himself during a playing career which included 421 appearances for Chelsea, where he won the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup.

He thinks the role has changed over the years.

"There has always been the capability to attack as a full-back, but in the modern game they're probably being used a little bit more than they were in my time when you were expected to do your defensive duties first.

"You're still expected to do the defensive duties but anything they can give you going forward is a bonus."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/clarke-on-kelly-v-glen-v-flanno
      bossred1
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #87: Oct 22, 2011 09:44:06 am
      I think Glen Johnson is useless.. We dont need him.!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #88: Oct 22, 2011 12:10:33 pm
      I think we should give him a chance. He's good with speed and bursting through the flank. We got Kelly on the right side, so why not putting him on the right wing instead. January is still far away and now's the time we utilize what we got within our hands. Some of us already said that he's not that good defending so why waste his talent on the bench while we can use him on the right flank? Unless we got someone else better than him, I don't say Hendo is not that good compared to him, but pace to pace and physical, Johnson has the edge.

sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #89: Oct 22, 2011 07:46:41 pm
       >:D  from what we have i would pick glen
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #90: Feb 12, 2012 09:10:18 am
      Still hard to believe we haven't seen Johnson have a go on the right wing.

With Kelly fit, what is seriously the problem with trying? Can't imagine it would be worse than Kuyt on current form!

What makes it worse is when we've seen players like Dossena and (to a lesser extent) Aurelio given a chance on the left!

I don't believe Johnson has to have space to run into either, he still has trickery to beat a man, and he's a goal threat with either foot from inside and outside the box.

Just do it already!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #91: Feb 12, 2012 10:23:11 am
      WE ARE NOT RIGHT WING!!! oh hang on..

Quick Reply