Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

8 games in: Are we contenders?

Read 14591 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: 8 games in: Are we contenders?
      Reply #69: Oct 19, 2011 04:17:50 am
      and it's f***in catching like a STD

do yourself a favour mate, go get your cock sucked or something

:lmao: :lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #70: Oct 19, 2011 09:35:32 am
      While the pessimists just like to get their embarassing bitching and moaning in early ? :)

;D

A bit of research shows that "Bitching", "Moaning" and indeed "Drama Queens" are were all tired and well worn RAWK phrases s@int - tho' always by the same 'user', it has to be said. To be fair; if you'd lost the equivalent of two months wages and been fu**ed of a forum for losing bets that, Adam wouldn't sign, Aquilani would stay, Liverpool would finish fourth and the scum wouldn't win their 19th title; you too would be even more sour and pessimistic realistic this time round.  ;D

On topic: We've lost a bit of ground but with 30 games remaining it would, in my opinion, be very foolish to write us off. We've a stronger squad, a great management team and owners who want to win and are prepared to spend and support.

If last season's P.L. championship is anything to go by there are many twists and turns to come. Theoretically a good run in our next dozen league games and we'll be sitting pretty and (when you look at the fixtures) that's not beyond the realms of possibility - in fact it's quite realistic.  ;) 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #71: Oct 19, 2011 10:58:40 am
      Find it quite laughable that after 8 games, and when we are on the same points as United had after 8 games last year - some people continue to state we are not contenders.

Once you have ruled us out, you can't do a Sky Sports and decide to rule us back in at a later date.

Admittedly we will have more of an idea after the next bunch of 8 games, but to rule any club out in 5th after less than a quarter of the season shows not only footballing naivety but a lack of knowledge about historical football results.

Whether I think we could win the league this year or not is irrelevant - we remain in contention.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #72: Oct 19, 2011 11:08:54 am
      Is that you Roy ?  :f_whistle:

F**k me fella, is there a positive bone anywhere in your body ?
      every f***in thing you post has negative overtones, i dont know how to bring up your past postings but in a way i'm f***in glad because you'd make the grim reaper pack it in, i think your stuck in a time warp called Hodgeson's disease,
       seriously, do you suffer from depression by any chance?, cos if you dont your making a f***in good impression,
      there's been alot of posters on here who have picked up on your negativity,and it's f***in catching like a STD, your the type who hates to see people smile are'nt you ?
      do yourself a favour mate, go get your cock sucked or something, or stick your tongue into something wet and warm, you never know it might make you happy, and if that dont work there are plenty of train tracks around, maybe you would rather kiss a train.

F***ing hell, now this is a mouth full, and here's some good advice in here, especially the sucking, sticking and kissing part.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #73: Oct 19, 2011 01:51:55 pm
      While the pessimists just like to get their embarassing bi*ching and moaning in early ? :)

Have you ever seen me bitching and moaning, calling for Kenny's head or calling our players ugly names? I am 100% certain that a good portion of the "optimists" from this part of the season would be doing exactly that come May, if their expectations are not met. By the way, if you ask me how do I know, the answer is simple: Just look at some people's posts from the start and the end of the 2009/10 season.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #74: Oct 19, 2011 02:04:44 pm
      It's a marathon not a sprint. I fully believe we are in contention for the league and am excited for the rest of the season.

Always believe.
      Lfc-jamie14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | -2 
      • 'You'll never walk alone'
      Reply #75: Oct 19, 2011 02:06:28 pm
      Don't see why not. No team in the league that we can't beat. Stevie back, Suarez tearing teams apart, kuyt, downing, bellamy, Adam, Carroll plenty of match winners there. With the best keeper in the league in nets. And players who actually want to play for are club I think we will be up there and should be. YNWA IKWT
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Oct 19, 2011 02:51:22 pm
      Have you ever seen me bi*ching and moaning, calling for Kenny's head or calling our players ugly names? I am 100% certain that a good portion of the "optimists" from this part of the season would be doing exactly that come May, if their expectations are not met. By the way, if you ask me how do I know, the answer is simple: Just look at some people's posts from the start and the end of the 2009/10 season.

Maybe you should try enjoying the good times while they lasts then mate. Then if things go tits up later in the season, at least you have enjoyed part of the season, and can still enjoy a good moan at the end. :D

Seriously, I don't really mind people being "realistic" as long as they allow me to be "realistic" in my own way. I can change feet with the best of them when needs and circumstances dictate, but while we are in with a reasonable chance I like to enjoy the moment and the highs and suffer the lows as they come. Anticipating the lows and that we may crash and burn may help reduce the pain, but takes away much of the pleasure (for me anyway).

harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #77: Oct 19, 2011 02:59:09 pm
      The upcoming run of games will tell us a lot about where we will likely finish this season.  We finally have our inspirational leader back in the team, and we have a pretty healthy squad overall.  It looks like some of the new lads are settled in, so we should hopefully be able to put a good run of wins together.  We have 11 games until the official halfway point in the season, and the way I see it, if we can amass 36 points in the 1st half of the season, we will be on course to at least get back into the top 4 for next season.  72 points has been good enough for CL qualification for the last few seasons, so that should be our minimum aim this term.  That means that we will need to take 22 points from a possible 33 in our upcoming games, and I have to say that it looks very possible. 

Norwich @ Anfield - 3 points
      West Brom @ Hawthornes - 3 points
      Swansea @ Anfield - 3 points
      Chelsea @ The Bridge - 0 points
      Man City @ Anfield - 1 point
      Fulham @ Craven Cottage - 1 point
      QPR @ Anfield - 3 points
      Villa @ Villa Park - 1 point
      Wigan @ DW Stadium - 1 point
      Blackburn @ Anfield - 3 points
      Newcastle @ Anfield - 3 points

* 22 points

Games in Red are games we need to be winning.  Many of these are at home against weaker sides, so we need to take full points if we really expect to challenge this season.  Games in Green are games that we should be looking to win, but in my opinion, will be trickier ties and we could be happy to take only a point from a few of these.  Games in Blue are very difficult ties, and we should be happy to take anything from these. 

Hopefully, I am underestimating our team and we can put up more than 25 points between now and the new year!!!  It would also be awesome if we can take full points off of Chelsea and/or City!!  However, as they say, the most important game of the season is always the next game on the schedule. . so let's f***ing trounce Norwich, get back to winning ways, and build some momentum before we go to the Bridge on November 20th!! 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #78: Oct 19, 2011 03:37:55 pm
      I've just posted elsewhere but your target of 22 from 33 is interesting.

20 points would be aiming for the fourth CL spot, whereas 28pts would probably have us looking primed for the title.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #79: Oct 19, 2011 04:24:59 pm
      Maybe you should try enjoying the good times while they lasts then mate. Then if things go tits up later in the season, at least you have enjoyed part of the season, and can still enjoy a good moan at the end. :D

Sitting 5th at the table, 8 points behind the league leaders after only 8 matches played, is not exactly "good times" in my book. I won't moan about it, but I will always discuss the ways of improving our situation. At the moment, we are not looking like title contenders, despite all the unfounded optimism. There is still a huge amount of work to be done, if we are to become a title contenders. By the way, I have no doubt that Kenny will manage to transform us into a title contenders in the future.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #80: Oct 19, 2011 04:29:15 pm
      Sitting 5th at the table, 8 points behind the league leaders after only 8 matches played, is not exactly "good times" in my book. I won't moan about it, but I will always discuss the ways of improving our situation. At the moment, we are not looking like title contenders, despite all the unfounded optimism. There is still a huge amount of work to be done, if we are to become a title contenders. By the way, I have no doubt that Kenny will manage to transform us into a title contenders in the future.

The current champions don't look like contenders either, by the way
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #81: Oct 19, 2011 04:40:08 pm
      The upcoming run of games will tell us a lot about where we will likely finish this season.  We finally have our inspirational leader back in the team, and we have a pretty healthy squad overall.  It looks like some of the new lads are settled in, so we should hopefully be able to put a good run of wins together.  We have 11 games until the official halfway point in the season, and the way I see it, if we can amass 36 points in the 1st half of the season, we will be on course to at least get back into the top 4 for next season.  72 points has been good enough for CL qualification for the last few seasons, so that should be our minimum aim this term.  That means that we will need to take 22 points from a possible 33 in our upcoming games, and I have to say that it looks very possible. 

Norwich @ Anfield - 3 points
      West Brom @ Hawthornes - 3 points
      Swansea @ Anfield - 3 points
      Chelsea @ The Bridge - 0 points
      Man City @ Anfield - 1 point
      Fulham @ Craven Cottage - 1 point
      QPR @ Anfield - 3 points
      Villa @ Villa Park - 1 point
      Wigan @ DW Stadium - 1 point
      Blackburn @ Anfield - 3 points
      Newcastle @ Anfield - 3 points

* 22 points

Games in Red are games we need to be winning.  Many of these are at home against weaker sides, so we need to take full points if we really expect to challenge this season.  Games in Green are games that we should be looking to win, but in my opinion, will be trickier ties and we could be happy to take only a point from a few of these.  Games in Blue are very difficult ties, and we should be happy to take anything from these. 

Hopefully, I am underestimating our team and we can put up more than 25 points between now and the new year!!!  It would also be awesome if we can take full points off of Chelsea and/or City!!  However, as they say, the most important game of the season is always the next game on the schedule. . so let's f***ing trounce Norwich, get back to winning ways, and build some momentum before we go to the Bridge on November 20th!! 

With all due respect mate, no game at Anfield should be considered "very difficult ties, and we should be happy to take anything from these." At Anfield we should be expecting to beat anyone and everyone. It's not gonna happen all the time, but we certainly shouldn't be happy with a draw at home to anyone, Man City included.

And if we're to win the League, then I don't think we can afford to drop six points to Villa, Fulham and Wigan. Out of those 11 games you've posted, I see no reason as to why we can't win eight or nine of them - personally I think we can win all 11. I don't think halfway through the season we'd look back and be happy with one away win from our last five away games. We need to start picking up results on the road if we are to seriously compete. I think we will.

From those 33 possible points, I think 25 is a minimum and not too difficult to ask. That's six home wins (18) and a further seven points on the road. Given our away fixtures there, we should be achieving that quite easily.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #82: Oct 19, 2011 04:45:03 pm
      The current champions don't look like contenders either, by the way

A couple of points away from the top, yet to lose a game, scoring 3.13 goals per game, conceding 0.75 goals per game. I'd say that your view on the matter is pretty biased. By the way, I hate the fuckers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #83: Oct 19, 2011 04:48:08 pm
      A couple of points away from the top, yet to lose a game, scoring 3.13 goals per game, conceding 0.75 goals per game. I'd say that your view on the matter is pretty biased. By the way, I hate the fuckers.

Not "pretty biased", well F***ing biased.
      The mancs are as much a shadow of aspiring champions in the Prem as they have been in their Euro appearences.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #84: Oct 19, 2011 05:23:32 pm

I agree, we are 5 or 6 points away from where I was hoping and where based on our performances we should be. Nothing a couple of good results won't make right though. The only really worrying thing as far as I am concerned is that we arn't as yet putting away our chances. The good thing is we are making enough chances to have won every game except the disaster at Spurs.

I still believe we can compete for the title, but a couple more bad results would certainly put a damper on that.

Personally I will hope that a good run of results sees us close the gap, but will accept that a couple of bad results before Christmas could see my focus move to CL qualification and the cups.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #85: Oct 19, 2011 05:26:55 pm
      Not "pretty biased", well F***ing biased.

Brilliant. :lmao:

The fact that one is actually a fan of a team means, by default, that one is biased in their favour. It's a like being pregnant - just as you can't be a little bit pregnant - you can't be a little bit biased. You're either biased or you're not.

If you're not biased then, ipso facto: you ain't a fan. Simples.

Sorry for wandering off-topic, by the way.  :angel:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #86: Oct 19, 2011 05:35:07 pm
      yes - next question
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #87: Oct 19, 2011 05:42:42 pm
      I agree, we are 5 or 6 points away from where I was hoping and where based on our performances we should be. Nothing a couple of good results won't make right though. The only really worrying thing as far as I am concerned is that we arn't as yet putting away our chances. The good thing is we are making enough chances to have won every game except the disaster at Spurs.

I still believe we can compete for the title, but a couple more bad results would certainly put a damper on that.

Personally I will hope that a good run of results sees us close the gap, but will accept that a couple of bad results before Christmas could see my focus move to CL qualification and the cups.

To be honest, if we maintain the same distance from the top (8-10 points) until the New Year, I think that our chances of winning the title this season will improve. Personally, I am hoping that if we are still in touching distance by January 1st, FSG will get tempted to aggressively attack the January market. By then, our team should be settled, and making a couple of top class additions of Luis Suarez level could launch us towards the title even this season. I know that it is a dream scenario, but that is the way I see it.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #88: Oct 19, 2011 05:54:57 pm
      Maximum points from the next game is all I want, for now. Then move on :)
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #89: Oct 19, 2011 06:21:50 pm
      With all due respect mate, no game at Anfield should be considered "very difficult ties, and we should be happy to take anything from these." At Anfield we should be expecting to beat anyone and everyone. It's not gonna happen all the time, but we certainly shouldn't be happy with a draw at home to anyone, Man City included.

And if we're to win the League, then I don't think we can afford to drop six points to Villa, Fulham and Wigan. Out of those 11 games you've posted, I see no reason as to why we can't win eight or nine of them - personally I think we can win all 11. I don't think halfway through the season we'd look back and be happy with one away win from our last five away games. We need to start picking up results on the road if we are to seriously compete. I think we will.

From those 33 possible points, I think 25 is a minimum and not too difficult to ask. That's six home wins (18) and a further seven points on the road. Given our away fixtures there, we should be achieving that quite easily.

I always admire your optimism DLS ;)  As mentioned, I would love for us to grab more than the 22 points I have identified, and I absolutely think we can pick up more points than those as I believe that we are capable of beating any team in England or Europe on our day.  However, no team ever wins them all.  We will drop points that we shouldn't, and perhaps we will grab some where the odds appear to be against us.  The point that I was trying to make with the post is that if our minimum aspirations are to break back into the top 4 to be in the CL next season, we will be well positioned to do so if we can pick up a minimum of 22 points in the next 11 games. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #90: Oct 19, 2011 11:18:35 pm
      Are we contenders?

Well a perverse marker of where we are at 8 games in 2011/12, is the fact tonight, that three "old boys" no longer part of LFC and not part of the current team were leading the line for the Chavs in the CL.

Facht.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #91: Oct 19, 2011 11:22:36 pm
      To be honest, if we maintain the same distance from the top (8-10 points) until the New Year, I think that our chances of winning the title this season will improve.

Just to be clear then.

You don't see us as in contention now after 8 games and being 8 points behind but if we are still 8-10 points behind at January you do then see us as being in contention with less games and therefore less points available to win.

Bizarre.

Quick Reply