Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Steve Rotherham Fears Hillsborough Debate Maybe Shortened

Read 5870 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Steve Rotherham Fears Hillsborough Debate Maybe Shortened
      Oct 11, 2011 02:15:24 pm
      Liverpool MP Steve Rotheram fears Hillsborough files debate in House of Commons may be shortened

LIVERPOOL MP Steve Rotheram has expressed fears next week's Hillsborough debate about the release of the hidden disaster files may be shortened.

The Walton politician will attend a parliamentary hearing this evening during which the schedule of business for the House of Commons will be discussed.

Today, he told the ECHO that he has learnt the previous debate next Monday, on pension reform, could be lengthened, cutting the following three-hour allocated slot to talk about the 1989 tragedy and the fight for justice for the 96 Liverpool fans who died.

More clarification on whether parliamentary procedure may infringe on the Hillsborough debate will emerge after tonight's discussion at 10pm.

Mr Rotheram said: "Three hours is not long enough, never mind anything less. The families deserve the full allocated time."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/10/11/liverpool-mp-steve-rotheram-fears-hillsborough-files-debate-in-house-of-commons-may-be-shortened-100252-29576289/
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Steve Rotherham Fears Hillsborough Debate Maybe Shortened
      Reply #1: Oct 11, 2011 02:29:36 pm
      Ridiculous.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #2: Oct 11, 2011 06:36:43 pm
      3 hours in 22 years. Outrageous.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Oct 12, 2011 12:17:17 am
      I understand the pension reform debate is important for all sides of that house but for gods sake hundreds of thousands of people asked for a proper full debate on Hillsborough!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Oct 12, 2011 11:06:46 am
      3 hours, I'm sure that's about how much time they have for lunch.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #5: Oct 12, 2011 11:55:19 am
      Hillsborough campaigners to find out today if House of Commons debate can go ahead as planned

CAMPAIGNERS were hoping to hear today whether a House of Commons debate on the Hillsborough files can go ahead as planned.

An 11th-hour objection in the House of Commons to the long-awaited debate taking place meant it was temporarily put on hold last night.

But Walton MP Steve Rotheram, who argued passionately for the debate to go ahead, said he was confident the objection would be overruled by the government today.

He added: “It was a shambles. Because of the objections of one Tory MP, the government will have to come back with an amendment to put the business back how it was so we can have the debate on Monday.

“The Leader of the House, Sir George Young, assured us that would happen and I am confident the debate will still go ahead as planned.”

Some of the families of the 96 football fans who lost their lives 22 years ago are due to travel to London to attend the event at Westminster.

The motion is for full disclosure of the Hillsborough dossier, with assurances of no redaction, deletion or any sensitive documents being held back.

Mr Rotheram added: “It is an absolute disgrace that one maverick MP can over-ride the wishes of so many people.

“Families have already booked to travel down on that day and they are having injury upon injury heaped upon them.”

The parliamentary hearing last night dealt with the schedule for the House of Commons over the forthcoming week.

It has emerged the previous debate on Monday, about pension reforms, could be extended, affecting the discussion about the Hillsborough disaster.

Next Monday, Mr Rotheram is due to open the debate, speaking for around 15 minutes, before backbench MPs are invited to contribute.

Home secretary Theresa May will respond on behalf of the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government after the discussion.

A vote will only be called if the government does not agree to the terms of the motion put forward.

If full and unequivocal disclosure is ratified, the release of the files will still take place in 2012, according to the government’s previously-stated timetable.

Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg yesterday said he supported the release of documents showing how then-prime minister Margaret Thatcher’s Cabinet responded to the 1989 disaster.

The parliamentary hearing last night dealt with the schedule for the House of Commons over the forthcoming week.

It has emerged the previous debate on Monday, about pension reforms, could be extended, affecting the discussion about the Hillsborough disaster.

Next Monday, Mr Rotheram is due to open the debate, speaking for around 15 minutes, before backbench MPs are invited to contribute.

Home secretary Theresa May will respond on behalf of the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government after the discussion.

A vote will only be called if the government does not agree to the terms of the motion put forward.

If full and unequivocal disclosure is ratified, the release of the files will still take place in 2012, according to the government’s previously-stated timetable.

Deputy prime minister Nick Clegg yesterday said he supported the release of documents showing how then-prime minister Margaret Thatcher’s Cabinet responded to the 1989 disaster.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/10/12/hillsborough-campaigners-to-find-out-today-if-debate-can-go-ahead-as-planned-100252-29580686/
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Oct 12, 2011 12:21:31 pm
      then-prime minister Margaret Thatcher

I swear to god I read Hannibal Lecter the first time!

Close enough!

Anyway, enough F***ing about, and get everything out in the open.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #7: Oct 12, 2011 12:43:31 pm
      Cameron confims in PMQ's that the debate time to discuss Hillsborough in Commons will be protected.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #8: Oct 12, 2011 12:52:32 pm
      Cameron confims in PMQ's that the debate time to discuss Hillsborough in Commons will be protected.

Interesting point I've just learnt, the Tory MP, Christoper Chope is the MP for Dorset, the area where David Duckinfield resides.

Just saying!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #9: Oct 12, 2011 01:09:27 pm

Quote from: Steve Rotherham
      Can the PM get a grip of his backbenchers to prevent them from interupting the business of the house because the perception in the real world is that MPs would rather discuss their pensions rather than a disaster that claimed the lives of 96 men, women and children

Well played Steve. Him and Andy Burnham have really impressed me lately.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Oct 12, 2011 04:25:54 pm
      lets just bombard parliament with emails demanding the full allocated time,or better still bombard Camerons office with the same,after all, he spouts he's a man of the people, so lets give him the opportunity to prove just that.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #11: Oct 12, 2011 07:56:20 pm
      Just read this in the Echo.

Is there no level low enough that these bas**rds won't sink to?

Interesting point I've just learnt, the Tory MP, Christoper Chope is the MP for Dorset, the area where David Duckinfield resides.

And so the back scratching continues 22 years later  :f_steam: :mad:
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Oct 17, 2011 05:54:20 pm
      http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=9133

The link of the stream in which Steve giving his speech.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #13: Oct 17, 2011 06:12:14 pm
      Truly rousing introduction from Steve Rotherham. Very powerful and the reading of the names of the 96 should make the people determined to block the truth and deny them justice sit up and listen.

It was only a football match after all.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Oct 17, 2011 06:16:03 pm
      Top man. Top speech. Read all 96 names for the first time infront of the Parliament. Justice for the 96.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: Oct 17, 2011 06:25:24 pm
      Sounded positive from Theresa May.

Although why they couldn't have done this 22 years ago I don't know. Never mind justice, they couldn't even show respect until now.

They ought to have known we will never stop pushing.

Andy Burnham now putting very valid points across about the slanderous campaign to discredit the dead and suffering.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #16: Oct 17, 2011 06:27:05 pm
      Hope I can come back to this thread later on, and read more updates from you Gow. I would very much appreciate it.

I am unfortunately off to work now, with my heart very heavy. My mind completely on this, and the 96.

Cheers all.

Quick Reply