Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Foreign owners discuss end to relegation

Read 3166 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Foreign owners discuss end to relegation
      Reply #23: Oct 19, 2011 04:50:16 pm
      THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you read the bit your missing from my post, now?

And go to the Sports board (you've never been to it from the look of your stats) and you'll find i contribute regularly to American sports threads. No need to educate me on American sports. I know the system well.

You either like or don't like the system. If you like the excitement of the play-offs system in the Championship, there is really no logic not to like it in the Premier League. Are you in favor of introducing the play-offs in the Premier League?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Oct 19, 2011 04:53:14 pm
      You either like or don't like the system. If you like the excitement of the play-offs system in the Championship, there is really no logic not to like it in the Premier League. Are you in favor of introducing the play-offs in the Premier League?

Losing your marbles, lad.

What are you talking about? Where have i mentioned play offs in the PL?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #25: Oct 19, 2011 04:57:36 pm
      Personally never been a huge fan of promotion play-offs, but conversely would like to see relegation play-offs introduced.  Bottom 2 down automatically, 15th to 18th play-off for the final spot. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,022 posts | 3352 
      Reply #26: Oct 19, 2011 04:58:06 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of chairmen go for this, especially those of clubs who could desperately do with staying in the top flight year on year. Even those with English chairmen like Wigan, Wolves, Newcastle and Bolton. Smallish clubs who could be in danger of going down, knowing that it doesn't really matter there'll still be in the top flight the following season.

Hopefully the FA will stop this entirely though as it'd make the sport F***ing pointless. And lower league clubs wouldn't have anything to strive for, the fairy tale stories of sides who have come through the Leagues after the brink of leaving League football would no longer exist. Clubs like Fulham, Wimbledon, Swansea and Blackpool would no longer have that side to the game.

And the play-offs, as well as the relegation dog fights, are always exciting. I'm not a huge fan of the play-offs as I think who comes third in the Championship should be promoted as they're the third best side over the season and finish 20 odd points ahead of sixth who eventually come up but I suppose that's the way they work and that's what makes them exciting, if not totally fair.

I would happily lose the play-offs and just have top three sides come up for the bottom three or alternatively the top four from what is now League 2 replace the bottom four in League 1 and further into the Conference top two replace the bottom two in League 2. I think that's much fairer but you can't get rid of promotion and relegation.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #27: Oct 19, 2011 05:11:00 pm
      Would be the end of football as far as im concerned,this,and the european super league,and i would F**k it all off and shove the pepsi/carling/nike/addidas/blah blah blah league up its arse,total sh*te.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #28: Oct 19, 2011 05:12:00 pm
      Personally never been a huge fan of promotion play-offs, but conversely would like to see relegation play-offs introduced.  Bottom 2 down automatically, 15th to 18th play-off for the final spot. 

Actually, I think that the Germans have the best system, if you like relegation/promotion play-offs. The bottom 2 teams in the Bundesliga are automatically relegated, and the top 2 teams from the 2nd Bundesliga are automatically promoted. The team that has finished 16th the Bundesliga (3rd from bottom, since the Bundesliga has 18 teams) is playing a 2-match play-offs with the 3rd team in the 2nd Bundesliga.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Oct 19, 2011 05:46:19 pm
      Actually, I think that the Germans have the best system, if you like relegation/promotion play-offs. The bottom 2 teams in the Bundesliga are automatically relegated, and the top 2 teams from the 2nd Bundesliga are automatically promoted. The team that has finished 16th the Bundesliga (3rd from bottom, since the Bundesliga has 18 teams) is playing a 2-match play-offs with the 3rd team in the 2nd Bundesliga.

I'm not a big fan of this to be honest, think it favours the 1st division club. Never checked historical results to see if they're compatible with what I would expect though.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #30: Oct 19, 2011 06:58:26 pm
      I'm not a big fan of this to be honest, think it favours the 1st division club. Never checked historical results to see if they're compatible with what I would expect though.

It has been re-introduced for the 2008/09 season, after a pause of 17 seasons, so there is not enough data to make a statistical conclusion. Still, it is a fair system, since it gives the lower league club a chance to earn it's place in the top league, in a direct duel with a top league club. For a 20-club league like the Premier League, I think that a system with 2 clubs directly relegated/promoted, combined with 2 play-off ties (18th v 3rd and 17th v 4th), would be the best solution. Certainly a better solution that the current play-offs system that gives the 6th club in the Championship an equal chance to earn promotion with the 3rd club in the same league.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #31: Oct 28, 2011 11:05:39 pm
      I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure the system in England was changed away from the team in the higher division taking part in the play offs because on nearly every occasion they saved their status.
      The main thing that the playoffs achieve is giving meaning to more games in the last weeks of the season.
      As to doing away with promotion / relegation it works well in the American system because there is no 2nd level or at least no meaningful one.
      So behind the NFL for example there isn't a Championship football league with teams in say San Antonio or Colombus trying to get into the top league. With so many teams over here who could/have compete(d) at the top level (Leeds Southampton both Sheffield clubs West Ham etc etc) it simply couldn't work.

Quick Reply