Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

North Sea League

Read 18550 times
      Bier
      Re: North Sea League
      Reply #138: Oct 28, 2011 12:05:20 am
      It isn't. Look at the GDP per capita rankings. In those terms, we are talking about some of the richest countries in the World here. That is one of the reasons why the Scandinavian countries are included. Try thinking outside the box called Eredivisie.
      You try thinking outside of the box that is your head.

Basically all your idea does is attempting to concentrate all the attention and money that is now spread over these leagues and clubs, at the benefit of a handful clubs, and at the cost of 80 or so clubs.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #139: Oct 28, 2011 12:19:47 am
      You try thinking outside of the box that is your head.

Basically all your idea does is attempting to concentrate all the attention and money that is now spread over these leagues and clubs, at the benefit of a handful clubs, and at the cost of 80 or so clubs.

Yes, concentrate the money and quality.

What do you think the Premier League or the Champions League are? Charitable organizations?
      Bier
      Reply #140: Oct 28, 2011 12:28:53 am
      Right, the Premier league and Champions League are comparable to this North Sea league concept how? The Premier league is a national league, and the Champions League doesn't have any similar consequences for the national leagues as the North Sea league would have. But at least it's clear that if it would benefit anyone, it would only be a handful of clubs. Overall, it's just not realistic that a North Sea League would generate more money than all those national leagues normally would in total together. And the overall cost would outweigh the benefit.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #141: Oct 28, 2011 12:52:03 am
      Not really. I watch Bundesliga regularly, and I am paying for the pleasure. I support no team there. We are obviously talking about completely different things here. You are talking about match-going supporters. I am talking about the 95 percent of the football fans. The TV audience.

You watch because there a huge clubs, entertaining football, a big fan base to create interest and one of the best leagues in the world.

Everything Belgian, Swedish, Norwegian football isn't.

Your heartless in this approach. Demolish the foundations of every league in the region, shut down every club except a handful and centralise every cent of profit to a few clubs. People like you should be kept away from football discussion tables. If you were in charge of anything in football i'd be F***ing worried because your cold hearted and stubborn all because of money.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #142: Oct 28, 2011 01:19:09 am
      You watch because there a huge clubs, entertaining football, a big fan base to create interest and one of the best leagues in the world.

Everything Belgian, Swedish, Norwegian football isn't.

To be honest, there are more "huge" clubs in the proposed North Sea League, in terms of history, tradition and prestige, than in the Bundesliga. Unlike the younger fans, I actually remember the good old days of the European Cup, when the clubs like Ajax, Celtic and Anderlecht were European powerhouses, and only Bayern Munich and HSV were the proper match for them, from the German clubs.

By the way, thank you for supporting my idea with this post.

Your heartless in this approach. Demolish the foundations of every league in the region, shut down every club except a handful and centralise every cent of profit to a few clubs. People like you should be kept away from football discussion tables. If you were in charge of anything in football i'd be f***ing worried because your cold hearted and stubborn all because of money.

You should really discuss this with the people that have created the Champions League.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #143: Oct 28, 2011 01:22:19 am
      F**k me, macred is the reincarnation of marie antoinette

Let them metaphorically eat cake.

Macreds humour has a subtle side, it appears...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #144: Oct 28, 2011 01:25:08 am
      You can cease the goading comment at the end.

Your not look at selling a brand based on 1970 are you? Your using Super Rugby, the 1970's and economic figures a year overdue for this ludicrous idea.

Effectively what you want is a second tier Europa League. While your at it, set up a new English competition for Nottingham Forrest, Leeds, Sheffield, Derby, West Ham etc. Oh yeah, that exists too!

You openly ask for debate and opinion only to try and argue against everything that is said. If people were supportive of the idea, you'd argue the exact opposite.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #145: Oct 28, 2011 01:32:41 am
      Effectively what you want is a second tier Europa League.

Actually, I think that the regional leagues would be an excellent replacement for the Europa League. So basically, I see the regional leagues (North Sea League included) as the perfect second tier Champions League.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #146: Oct 28, 2011 03:09:29 am
      Hah.

Fruitloop.

So diminish nearly 100 clubs, centralise all profits for one regional league, the top 2 or 3 clubs in this league be given a vast majority of that profit, disband the second tier of Europe and make this competition the second most elite European competition.

Is that your aim?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #147: Oct 28, 2011 08:10:26 am
      Hah.

Fruitloop.

So diminish nearly 100 clubs, centralise all profits for one regional league, the top 2 or 3 clubs in this league be given a vast majority of that profit, disband the second tier of Europe and make this competition the second most elite European competition.

Is that your aim?

You are taking the piss, right? There will be at least 8 of these regional leagues, replacing the current Europa League.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #148: Oct 28, 2011 11:16:56 am
      8 sh*t house leagues replacing clubs that play in elite domestic leagues and harbour some of the finest traditions in football.

Are you taking the piss?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #149: Oct 28, 2011 11:39:04 am
      8 sh*t house leagues replacing clubs that play in elite domestic leagues and harbour some of the finest traditions in football.

Are you taking the piss?
      Is that a rhetorical question ?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #150: Oct 28, 2011 11:42:31 am

Are you taking the piss?

No, it would be 8 regional leagues replacing the current Europa League, in addition to the clubs regularly competing in their national leagues. The competition in the Champions League and the regional leagues would be parallel to the competition in the national leagues, using the midweek terms, as it is now. This system would create a multi-tier European football competition.

Champions League
      ^
      8 regional leagues
      ^
      National leagues

Of course, the clubs competing in the regional leagues, would not compete in the Champions League in the same season. A system of relegation and promotion between the Champions League and the regional leagues will be established, based on the clubs' rankings, with only the national leagues' champions guaranteed the place in the Champions League.

I see that it is hard for you to understand the concept, but if you try, you will see the benefits for everyone involved.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      Reply #151: Oct 28, 2011 11:44:25 am
      No, it would be 8 regional leagues replacing the current Europa League, in addition to the clubs regularly competing in their national leagues. The competition in the Champions League and the regional leagues would be parallel to the competition in the national leagues, using the midweek terms, as it is now. This system would create a multi-tier European football competition.

Champions League
      ^
      8 regional leagues
      ^
      National leagues

Of course, the clubs competing in the regional leagues, would not compete in the Champions League in the same season. A system of relegation and promotion between the Champions League and the regional leagues will be established, based on the clubs' rankings, with only the national leagues' champions guaranteed the place in the Champions League.

I see that it is hard for you to understand the concept, but if you try, you will see the benefits for everyone involved.

The most important part is television. I can't see them getting too excited by it to be brutally honest.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #152: Oct 28, 2011 11:48:57 am
      The most important part is television. I can't see them getting too excited by it to be brutally honest.

The regional rivalry that exists in most parts of Europe would create much more interest than the current Europa League. Matches between Spanish and Portuguese clubs would always create an interest. Not to mention the matches between Turkish and Greek clubs, or the matches between Serbian and Croatian clubs.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      Reply #153: Oct 28, 2011 11:51:26 am
      But if teams treat it like the Europa league and play mainly second string teams, where is the attraction ?.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #154: Oct 28, 2011 12:09:14 pm
      But if teams treat it like the Europa league and play mainly second string teams, where is the attraction ?.

They won't play the second string teams. Their qualification for the Champions League (the following season) would depend on their ranking, based on their success in the regional league. As I have already suggested, only the national league champions would qualify for the Champions League automatically.
      Bier
      Reply #155: Oct 28, 2011 02:34:15 pm
      So that's the end of your North Sea League idea then. If you're going to divide Europa into 8 regions then obviously your proposed form of the North Sea league region wouldn't make sense. England would join with Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Holland probably with Belgium and France, or Belgium and Germany, or something like that. The Scandinavian countries also as one region. And all those 8 regions would have the same ammount of promotion spots? Some regions will be alot less competitive than others.

A promotion relegation system without team limits would ruin the Champions League, England would dominate it even more.  This is even a more unlikely concept than your previous one. And in the CL's current set up 36 teams play the group stages. In your setup 53 league champions would be in the Champions League + the teams that promote from the regional leagues(16, 24, more?). Teams playing against the champions of Albania, Malta, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Andorra, Cyprus, even Macedonia! That's really going to improve the prestige, commericality and popularity of the CL. Some CL groups would be more like the Europa League is now. But I do like the idea of being able to win a Champions League spot, like make the best 4 of the Europa League qualify for the CL. That would make many teams take the Europa League more serious.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2011 03:37:43 pm by Bier »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #156: Oct 28, 2011 04:13:15 pm
      So that's the end of your North Sea League idea then. If you're going to divide Europa into 8 regions then obviously your proposed form of the North Sea league region wouldn't make sense.
      We are discussing a different idea here. Aren't you aware of that?

A promotion relegation system without team limits would ruin the Champions League, England would dominate it even more.  This is even a more unlikely concept than your previous one. And in the CL's current set up 36 teams play the group stages. In your setup 53 league champions would be in the Champions League + the teams that promote from the regional leagues(16, 24, more?). Teams playing against the champions of Albania, Malta, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Andorra, Cyprus, even Macedonia! That's really going to improve the prestige, commericality and popularity of the CL. Some CL groups would be more like the Europa League is now. But I do like the idea of being able to win a Champions League spot, like make the best 4 of the Europa League qualify for the CL. That would make many teams take the Europa League more serious.
      You are clearly not familiar with the current competition format of the Champions League.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/

Of course that all the 53 national champions won't be automatically qualifying for the group stage of the Champions League. By the way, pretty double-faced attitude from you, considering how much you were concerned about the smaller teams in Holland, yet you automatically dismiss all the clubs from the smaller countries.
      Bier
      Reply #157: Oct 28, 2011 05:28:59 pm
      I know the current format of the CL. You were the one saying the national league champions would automatically qualify for the CL, not me. So I guess that would mean that clubs from certain regions, and clubs from certain national leagues can only qualify for the qualifying rounds of the CL? So basically, some countries won't ever have any chance of getting to play European football again, as qualifying for the CL is going to be almost impossible for most of those clubs, and the Europa League is gone. I'm sure they'd go for that.

Not double faced. I'm Dutch. Don't see why I shouldn't care more about Dutch football than some leagues or clubs I don't even know. And I've been clear from the start that I don't like the Europa League because of all those clubs that are in that competition, yet now I'm supposed to like it when those types of clubs are going to be in the CL?
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2011 06:17:58 pm by Bier »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #158: Oct 28, 2011 07:42:31 pm
      I know the current format of the CL. You were the one saying the national league champions would automatically qualify for the CL, not me. So I guess that would mean that clubs from certain regions, and clubs from certain national leagues can only qualify for the qualifying rounds of the CL? So basically, some countries won't ever have any chance of getting to play European football again, as qualifying for the CL is going to be almost impossible for most of those clubs, and the Europa League is gone. I'm sure they'd go for that.

Well, the teams that are eliminated in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, will be playing in the regional leagues, until they become strong enough to qualify for the group stages of the Champions League.

Not double faced. I'm Dutch. Don't see why I shouldn't care more about Dutch football than some leagues or clubs I don't even know. And I've been clear from the start that I don't like the Europa League because of all those clubs that are in that competition, yet now I'm supposed to like it when those types of clubs are going to be in the CL?

So basically, you support the rights of the small Dutch clubs because of their origin, yet you don't care about the rights of clubs that have won the European Cup (like Red Star or Steaua), in the times when money was not everything in football, because they come from inferior countries. Once again I must admit that I was wrong about you. I have mistaken you for a football traditionalist, but you are something completely different.
      Bier
      Reply #159: Oct 28, 2011 08:23:41 pm
      So basically, you support the rights of the small Dutch clubs because of their origin, yet you don't care about the rights of clubs that have won the European Cup (like Red Star or Steaua), in the times when money was not everything in football, because they come from inferior countries. Once again I must admit that I was wrong about you. I have mistaken you for a football traditionalist, but you are something completely different.
      Red Star and Steaua aren't even in any of the leagues I mentioned, so nice try. Obviously they're fairly well known clubs. Besides, the comparison with the Dutch clubs is silly. Your first proposition would damage the Dutch league and more specifically some Dutch clubs. While in this case it wouldn't change anything for those clubs or leagues, they just wouldn't benefit from it.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #160: Oct 28, 2011 08:34:15 pm
      Red Star and Steaua aren't even in any of the leagues I mentioned, so nice try. Obviously they're fairly well known clubs. Besides, the comparison with the Dutch clubs is silly. Your first proposition would damage the Dutch league and more specifically some Dutch clubs. While in this case it wouldn't change anything for those clubs or leagues, they just wouldn't benefit from it.

Back-peddling won't help you, since you have shown your real face.

Quick Reply